Third party clients... no... First party clients?

Smapla

heh... I've been using a homebrew RS client for about six months now... It's perfectly legal though, since you have to go through the main page and switch worlds like every other schmo who plays RS. It's more of a convenience, since it has an integrated calculator, notepad, map, and second window for browsing the forums while you are playing. I'm also working on a coordinate finder, and it's well under way.

It's for my eyes only though, so nobody bug me about getting a copy :P

Wow that sounds awesome, I'd never even thought about adding a forum browser to the bottom of mine.

I created my own worldswitcher a while ago, but since Jagex added the worldswitcher button on the login page its pretty obsolete. I may make it legal and add a forum browser and notepad like yours though, sounds like an awesome idea!

Javascript can do wonders \'

no_way2go,

I created this post because this falls into a grey area, in my opinion. The knowledge base can not help me here.

sirgudi,

Even If I sent a query in, new tip.it restrictions prevent us from sharing those messages :roll:

fishing.gif

I think 3rd party clients are legal... as long as you go through the front page in them... And you can't really switch worlds just by clicking a link either... but none of them can.

oh yes, you can.

but bookmarking pages (atleast in IE) is simply creating shortcut that links to a page, and your favorites menu organizes them. A world switcher does the same thing.

I meant with things like SS, since they took away that feature. I know you can use world links, but those are illegal, because they bypass the front page, which is the new required thingy to get onto a world...

In Soviet Russia, glass eats OTers.

Alansson Alansson, woo woo woo!

Pink owns yes, just like you!

GOOOOOOOOOO ALAN! WOO!

I think 3rd party clients are legal... as long as you go through the front page in them... And you can't really switch worlds just by clicking a link either... but none of them can.

oh yes, you can.

but bookmarking pages (atleast in IE) is simply creating shortcut that links to a page, and your favorites menu organizes them. A world switcher does the same thing.

I meant with things like SS, since they took away that feature. I know you can use world links, but those are illegal, because they bypass the front page, which is the new required thingy to get onto a world...

Bookmarks do exactly this, yet are completely legal.

fishing.gif

I always thought there was a way to visit multiple pages by just clicking a link..Say you click on a link to w2, you go through the front page, detail select, the world page, then put in the w2 link, and then there?

Although I don't know if thats possible, but if it were, then third party clients wouldn't be too much illegal, and almost impossible to trace?

I don't think there is a reliable way to test if users are indeed passing through the front page, detail select, etc, and since bookmarks are legal, it doesn't make sense to ban people based on that (if they figure out how to track it).

fishing.gif