Slaying Metal Dragons (2005) (AOW discussion)

Maesce

I don't know if I missed this, but did you mention the mage process? You don't need pray pots if you mage them.

Just stand away, and as soon as you hit them with range or mage, they stop in there track, hunker down and just shoot flame balls at you until you go melee on them.

So, if you wanna fight iron dragons, stand by the opening, put on your auto cast, and just pick em off as you see em.

Then, run up to him once he engages you about 2 or 3 spaces away, to cut the spell travel time down (man, those things fly in slow motion), but just remember that if you get close enough to him so he can hit you, he'll engage his "melee" protocol, and start chasing you until you hit him with a projectile so he freezes and starts his "flameball" protocol. He won't move once he starts this unless you get next to him.

Now, once you get caught up in a melee-dragon-chase, just run far enough away from him so you can turn around and zap him before he gets to you. As soon as you hit him with a projectile (magic spell) he will stop chasing you and start shooting his flame balls.

You can dress in full mage, and all you need is the dragon shield, anti pots, and your runes. I take a couple pray pots if I'm doing steel, because you gotta run around the middle of everything and would take major damage, so just put pray on till you get settled into projectile combat with your dragon.

I take weaken spells, or Curse, and they'll drop some soul runes once in awhile so you can have fun with the high level Curse, if you have that high magic.

You can have fun with zammy strike and watch a dragon die in seconds.

You can have fun with Antique blood spells and not even need the antifires.

Or you can just sit there and hit them 1-2 at a time with mind rune spells. Heheh.

Personally, I go with magic dart since I have about 100k mind runes from the dang barrows chest. lol. Anywaaaaaaaaaays...

The cool part is, you don't need a heap of precious pray pots.

The bad part is, you DO need a heap of runes.

If you haven't tried this yet, give it a whirl, its fun not spending 20 pray pots and still being able to slay metals. :D

A circus in Runescape?? Oh my.

Leesters.png

Leesters.png

REMEMBER RUNESCAPE KARMA! Be a nice player, and nice things will come back to you.

I'm back, add me if you deleted me. :)

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The times you supplied, absolutely no use of them unless time zones specified.

Well its obvious that it's in your own time zone, assuming you play on your location's server..

And I don't use ssp with this guys, for some reason. Seems to work better without o_O

Edit: And that inventory you listed is useless for lower level people, like me (level 87). We need tons of prayer pots because we can barely hit them. I suppose I'll edit the guide though. Thanks for the help!

ya it always seems you hit (Connect) less when your strength is alot higher than your attack, dunno why. always been like that for me o.o

i hit pretty often when i keep my attack stat next to my strength stat.

[section 1.0] Introduction

[1.1] What is "Metal Dragon Slaying"?

Metal dragon slaying is simply a fancy name for killing metal dragons for profit. There are three types of metal dragons at this time: Bronze, Iron, and Steel.

(Bronze Dragon) Level 131 - 126hp

Bronze_Dragon.gif

(Iron Dragon) Level 189 - 167hp

Iron_Dragon.gif

(Steel Dragon) Level 246 - 242hp

Steel_Dragon.gif

Each are very powerful and should not be underestimated. Display extreme caution when fighting any of these beasts.

[1.2] What's in it for me?

gold_bar.gif

Slaying metal dragons is fun! It's exciting, knowing that if you mess up once or twice, you could die. These dragons actually give halfway decent XP, so that's always a plus, too. People also slay these dragons for the new skill "Slayer". This guide applies to both "Slaying" and normaly fighting. The number one reason, obviously, is for profit from the loot they drop. Read the section below for details.

[1.3] What loot do they drop?

All three dragons drop the long sought after dragon platelegs. This is the number one reason people fight these, and for good reasons. These legs fetch up to 3,000,000gp!

(Bronze Dragon)

-Gold:196-300

-100%: Bronze bar(5) Dragon bones

-Weapon: Addy Javeline(30), Rune Knife(2), Addy Dart(16), Mith Hatchet, Mith battleaxe, Mith 2 hander,

-Armour: Dragon legs, Dragon medium, Addy plate, Mith Kite

-Runes: Law(10), Blood(15), Death(25), Fire(50)

-Misc: Addy Bar, Swordfish(2), Rune bar, Clue(lvl 3), Gem, Halfkey, Dragon Half shield

(Iron Dragon)

-Gold:300-3000

-100%: Iron bar(5), Dragon Bones

-Weapon: Rune Javelin(4), Rune Dart(p)(4), Rune Knives(5), Rune Battle axe, Mith 2 hander, Addy 2 hander, Rune 2 hander, Rune Hatchet, Addy Hatchet, Addy Battle axe

-Armour: Dragon legs, Rune plate, Dragon medium, Rune Medium, Rune kite, Addy square

-Runes: Death(45), Soul(3), Nature(67)

-Misc: Curry, Rune bar, Addy bar(2), Silver ore(100?), Super Strenth(1 dose), Nature Talismin, Super attack(3 dose), Clue(lvl 3), Uncut gems, Cut dragonstone, Half key, Dragon half shield

(Steel Dragon)

-Gold:650-700

-100%: Steel bar(5), Dragon Bones

-Weapon: Rune knife(7), Rune javeline(7), Rune mace, Rune long,Rune battleaxe

-Armour: Dragon legs, Dragon medium, Rune square, Rune kite, rune large, Addy plate, Addy kite.

-Runes: Blood(15,20), Soul(5)

-Misc: Rune bar, Rune arrows(42), Silver ore(100), Super attack, Clue(lvl3), Gem, Key half, Dragon half shield

[1.4] I'm level ??, could I slay Metal Dragons?

If you have the right equipment and items, slaying dragons can be accomplished by almost anybody. Read the section below for details.

[section 2.0] Requirements

[2.1] Required skill levels

pray_melee.png

Lv43+ Prayer (For protection from melee, which is a staple in metal dragon slaying)

Lv60+ Combat Stats (Otherwise you won't be able to kill very many dragons)

[2.2] Cost of equipment

Slaying metal dragons is VERY expensive, and will burn a hole in your pocket if you don't moderate it. The average inventory is between 200-500k. The "disposable" part of the inventory is usually 100k~200k, meaning that after each trip, you will be out 100k~200k in supplies. Think carefully before persuing this hobby.

[2.3] The time it takes

The average trip for me takes 30mins to an hour. It may be more or less depending on your stats.

[section 3.0] Inventory

[3.1] Potions

Potions are what makes slaying dragons possible. Without them, the cost of food and the time it would take to travel to the dungeon and back would be worthless compared to the actual amount of dragons you kill. What I take with me:

pot_prayer.png 16 (4 dose) Prayer pots

pot_antifire.png 4 (4 dose) Antifire pots

pot_superattack.png 1 (4dose) Super attack pot

The prayer potions are used to maintain the protection of melee prayer, while the antifire pots are used to keep you from getting damaged by the deadly dragon fire. Both are ABSOLUTELY nessecary. The super attack pot is so that I can hit the dragon more, since they all have very high defense.

[3.2] Equipment

Head: Rune large (for preventing a little damage, or you could use a beserker helmet)

Torso: Monks robe (Adds +6 prayer, which is vital)

cape_legends.png Cape: Legends (Or regular if you haven't done legends)

Legs: Monks robe (+5 prayer)

gloves.png Gloves: Klank's Guantlets (This is just what I use, you can use other things)

Boots: Climbing/Metal (For extra damage and defense)

holy_symbol_strung.png Necklace: Holy Symbol (Blessed of course. +8 prayer)

Finger: Ring of Wealth (For getting better drops)

dagger_poisoned.png Weapon: Dragon dagger (p) (Fast attacks and poison allow you to damage the dragon even though he has high defense)

Shield: Antifire Shield (Duh)

[3.3] Food & Misc

rawswordfish.jpg

I usually bring 4 swordfish or sharks with me, to heal any damage that might get done by a mistake. I also bring a glory amulet to teleport to Karamja and back to edgeville when I'm done. You also need to bring 875 coins and an axe (for getting in the dungeon and chopping vines, respectively)

[3.4] Complete Inventory

inven.jpg

This inventory works well for me (lv87), if you're higher level, you probaby want to bring less prayer potions and throw in some super strength's and a few more super attacks, and maybe bring a dragon longsword because you have higher attack. After a few runs, you'll know what the best inventory is for you.

[section 4.0] Tracking down the Dragons

[4.1] Location

All three metal dragons are located in the members' Karamja dungeon. They are in the very farthest part of the dungeon and are hard to get to. You need to pass moss giants, fire giants, guard dogs, and black demons. All of which can deal you damage. I would suggest putting on protection from melee when passing the demons, and running whilst passing the fire giants.

[4.2] Best times to slay

The best time to slay metal dragons (in your timezone, in your location's server), would be early morning, late night. Or during school hours, seeing as how like 80% of this game are kids and they go to school during the day, and therefore can't play rs.

[4.3] Maps

metaldragmap.png

brimdungeon.jpg

[section 5.0] Slaying the Dragons

[5.1] Preperations

When you have the dragon in your sights, you want to first off, drink a dose of antifire potion, and if you're damaged, eat a shark/swordfish. Then flip on protection from melee, and attack the beast. If you've done it right, you won't take any damage, and you should be hitting the dragon.

[5.2] Keeping stats up

pray_rapid_heal.png

Always ALWAYS check your prayer constantly. If you hit like 10 prayer points left, drink a dose or two. Remember, without prayer, you'll die pretty quick. The second thing to watch out for is the antifire potion. As soon as the dragon breathes fire and you take some damage, its time to use the potion again. It's pretty easy to keep that under tabs, its just juggling that with prayer, looting, and all the other elements, it could get confusing. You'll get the hang of it though, I promise.

[5.3] Special Attacks/Misc

dagger_poisoned.png

Use special attacks whenever you can, and make sure to not waste prayer when you're not fighting a dragon. Also remember that antifire can be used for 2+ dragons if you're quick. Don't waste potions!

[section 6.0] Closing & Credits

I'd like to thank tip.it for the drops, and the statistics for the dragons. As well as several image files that were used in this guide. I'd also like to thank runescapia and day walker15 for the maps that I used. Thanks to jagex for making this game, and you, the reader, for reading this! Cheers!

~Maesce

very nice but since the new quest came out you may want to update the armor to the initiate armor and an alternative weapon to the DDP a dragon mace (prayer bonus)

• 2 weeks later...

I read this guide some time before and it put me off....i didnt want to spend 100k each trip....i spend 905 a trip and thats it...

Ive been killing bronze dragons for a couple of days now...i dont stay there for hours killing 20's or anything...i kill 2 and thats sufficient for me as the amount you kill doesnt affect the likelyhood of getting a dragon medium or legs...heres what i got so far

Equipment : Anti dragon shield, rune platebody, rune legs, dragon long, bronze boots

2 law runes, 2 water runes, steel axe

1 super attack pot, 20 cooked lobsters

Combat Lvl : 70 - Attack = 61, Defence = 52, Strength = 57, hp = 59

1 - 10 law runes

2 - 30 addy javelins

---Bank---

3 - 30 addy javelins

4 - 30 addy javelins

---Bank---

5 - 330 coins

6 - 16 addy darts (p)

7 - addy bar

---Bank---

8 - 196 coins

9 - Lvl 3 clue scroll

---Bank---

10 - 330 coins

11 - 30 addy javelins

Well, i'm 71 combat, and i find it pretty easy to kill 3 bronze dragons with a poisoned dragon dagger, some swordies, 2 prayer pots, full rune with anti fire shield, white boots (no difference but nm), 905gp to go to dungeon and 5 runes used to teleport.

And all the while i only have 33 prayer :D .

Oh well, once i get some bones i'll jump up around 10 lvls.

lol nice one...i take 1 att pot 20 swordies 2 water runes and 2 laws 2 rings of recoil which help alot and i wear rune pl8 and legs, bronze boots and anti dragon shield and a d long of course :D

Wow. Thanks for all the feedback guys! Unfortunately I quit runescape a while ago and don't frequent these forums enough anymore to bother going through the update process. If a mod wants to edit it, go for it.

Thank for the sticky, too!

• 3 weeks later...