Tip.It Times Presents: Letters to the Editor #5

MPM

what i wonder is why Jagex attracts younger players, while still having a minimum age requirement of 13

that sounds VERY hypocritical to me (lol had to use a translator site to find hypocritical)

and you cant deny the fact that younger players have more trouble to understand the game, especially when they are not from an english-speaking country, and therefor have to annoy other players with stupid questions

still have to think up a nice signature

lol

what i wonder is why Jagex attracts younger players, while still having a minimum age requirement of 13

that sounds VERY hypocritical to me (lol had to use a translator site to find hypocritical)

RuneScape is convenient for young players:

1. You can play RuneScape on a low-spec computer without installing any special software except Java. That means you can play it in a school computer room, and your friends will see it, so they might start playing.

2. It's really not very hard to control your character. If you want to do something, you click on it.

3. You don't have to pay.

These are very sensible features for a game to possess, especially a game that's got relatively basic graphics and a simple combat system. Instead of trying to compete with the awesome graphics of the latest games, Jagex has chosen the low-spec, low-cost end of the market.

Of course, the low-spec, low-cost end of the market is where you find young players.

The happy-happy US legal system has rather strict laws about collecting personal details off children. RuneScape's minimum age rule looks like a basic attempt to avoid the issue by declaring that children aren't allowed in RuneScape at all, so anyone who does give their personal details to Jagex must have claimed to be 13. This doesn't make much difference to the players (except the under-13s), but it would save Jagex a legal nightmare.

What I'm getting at is that I don't think it's hypocrisy that they attract young people but block anyone who's under 13 (and if it were, it'd be bleedin' stupid - there'd be no benefit for Jagex). I think it's just inevitable that a low-spec, low-cost game will attract young players. The age restriction is unrelated.

and you cant deny the fact that younger players have more trouble to understand the game, especially when they are not from an english-speaking country, and therefor have to annoy other players with stupid questions

As experienced players, the answers to their questions may be really obvious to us. Perhaps they're not so obvious to a newcomer. Any system is simpler once you've had the chance to get your head around it.

Jagex has its knowledge base, for those who are willing to read it. TipIt has... considerably more information... for those who know where it is. Of course, many people don't want to take the time and effort to read guides and instructions. There's no helping those who will not help themselves. (I try to be patient with 'em. I fail at this.)

Jagex approaches this problem by making simple animations of its rules and putting them in place of the advert banners; I find these dreadfully patronising, but it's got to be worth a try. Besides, I don't like advert banners either.

Members are more mature than f2p players, and the members game is a lot better. I tend to ignore the parts of the game that don't interest me ( such as the corny warning cartoons and noob helpers) and focus on the parts that do interest me. That way the parts that don't interest me don't bother me.

"Wow these articles totally contradicts each other... the letter is said in a deontology view and then the article is in utilitarian... god, who ever said they agree with BOTH of them is wrong...its not possible... pick which one would u rather have. Being Nice, or for the common good?"

Are you a philosophy major or something? I'm actually not too fond of either point of view, my view is absurdist; life stinks so play runescape. Its also postmodern; runescape is reality.

whatcolor_isblue.jpg[r]

Members are more mature than f2p players

Um, not all the time. There are quite a few f2p players out there that are very mature. While it does tend to get a lot better in terms of maturity in the member's worlds, there are those few players out in f2p who are mature. So don't think otherwise.

-Runescape Addict --- Seven-time Writer for the Tip.It Times-

"Yes I have tricks in my pocket, I have things up my sleeve. But I am the opposite of a stage magician. He gives you the illusion that has the appearance of truth. I give you truth in the pleasant disguise of illusion." - The Glass Menagerie

DragonkinFF13Sig2copy.jpg

"This game isn't about graphics, it's about fun." - The Great Ortiz 9471

<> Dragon drops: Plateskirt(1), Half Shield(1) <>

So, now, we all know the Customer Support and autoers banning is done by real persons. Those real persons don't do a very good job then.

Erhm, please tell me you knew that before you read the article :|

I think the point was to think about it for a moment before we start complaining once more, not so much pointing out that Jagex is made out of real people, and not genetically manipulated monkies :|

I know what I know and what I know might well not be what you want to know but then seeing as only I know what I know and you do not know what I know then you will not know if what I know is what you would like to know

So, now, we all know the Customer Support and autoers banning is done by real persons. Those real persons don't do a very good job then.

Erhm, please tell me you knew that before you read the article :|

I think the point was to think about it for a moment before we start complaining once more, not so much pointing out that Jagex is made out of real people, and not genetically manipulated monkies :|

I obviously knew that. My point is that it's result which counts and the result is pretty bad at those areas! I don't care if they put 1 person or 100 on it, you won't hear me complain when it's good.

When everything's been said and done, more has been said than done.

All skills 80+

angel2w.gif