$$$ JimmyD17: Barrowing to 99 Magic! $$$ Aug. 25 Update!

Welcome to my, JimmyD17, blog on my quest to achieve level 99 magic via barrows. Would be nice that if you read this, you'd post too. ::'

A lil' background shall we? I started barrowing way back when it came out. I was a meager combat 80, magic 70 fella back then. After a couple runs I was hooked. I went on a massive barrowing spree that lasted from level 70 to level 87 magic without doing a single other thing with my time on runescape. It really payed off. Not only did I gain a couple dozen magic, defence, and hits levels, but I really brought in the cash. It culminated with myself buying a Green Partyhat. After I accomplished that I kind of drifted away from barrows. I ventured into skilling quite a bit and found myself killing metal dragons quite a bit as well. Along with my skilling came another couple acheivements that I'm rather proud of. I knocked off level 99 cooking and 99 fletching in a matter of weeks. But, with the good comes some bad. Right before I got 99 fletching (less than 10k experience away...) I let one of my close friends wear my Partyhat. He was to wear it at my 99 fletching party. Turns out that wasn't what he had in mind. <.< A rather devastating finacial blow fir myself. I was catapulted from a 230m+ bank to roughly 30m. I was a little let down with myself for lending it out but filled that space on my head with a couple spurts of runecrafting and spending money on skills. And here I find myself. Level 103 combat, 95 magic, a bank worth about 20m, a goal, and a heck of a lot of time. I'm going to be barrowing to both; Level 99 Magic & a Green Partyhat!

Starting Stats

210807statsoc7.png

Inventory & Equipment

inventorygf1.png

I'll let you in on some details of my goal... I'm doing it rather on a budget. Not because I can't afford to do more but because I want to maximize my profit because I really do want that Partyhat asap!

I start, of course, in Canafis. I load up my invent (no prayer pots used. Monks all the way...) and set off to the barrows. I first take out Arhim with prayer, and do the same with Dharok. I usually have enough prayer to make a fool of Karil and then I go to Verac and finish off Guthan and Torag easily. I go kill some monsters to get a moderate kill count, check the chest and do a house teleport to recharge my prayer on my shiney Guilded Altar, use my Canafis portal and repeat. It usually takes me about 10-12 minutes per run and sometimes more or less. Depends on kill count or if I have a Dharok tunnel (safespotting ftw...) I get about 3k magic experience per trip, 1.5k defence experience, and 1.5k hits experience.

Some side goals... all relate to barrows of course. I'm not planning on selling the chaos, bloods, or bolt racks for as long as I can resist. Already after my preliminary 50 runs I've collected a good 2.8k blood runes, 5k chaos and 1k bolt racks. I'm expecting it to take about 1200 runs to get to level 99 Magic. In the process I'm expecting to get from level 84 to 94+ defence via whipping the little beasties. Hits I'll hopefully level from 87 to 91 or 92. I'll be keeping my items until I could sell them and afford a Santa or some sort. So, every ~20-25m in items I'll sell them off and start collecting all over again. Previously, I had averaged 1 item in every 12-13 runs. I'm hoping to keep with that and if it comes true, I'm expecting a minimum of 100 items. Half keys I'll be saving up until the end as well.

Now, just to stress my 'experience' in barrows. I've done this before and intend on adding another 100+ items to my portfolio that already consists of ~100 items. Oh goody! Wish me luck. ::'

Loot Picture: August 25th, 2007

07aug25172338md8.png

*One Flail was bought with my Veracs Set.

**Some half keys were from previous barrows trips.

***Started with less than 50 blood runes and 100 bolt racks.

Loot Details - Updated on: August 25th, 2007

Runs Total:

Items:

4th, Veracs Flail

20th, Dharoks Helm

69th, Dharoks Helm

70th, Arhims Skirt

72nd, Arhims Skirt

74th, Veracs Brassard

80th, Dharoks Greataxe

102nd, Dragon Med Helm

110th, Veracs Brassard

129th, Karils Crossbow

Keys:

3rd, Teeth Half

19th, Loop Half

24th, Loop Half

30th, Loop Half

57th, Teeth Half

62nd, Loop Half

76th, Teeth Half

85th, Loop Half

108th, Teeth Half

122nd, Teeth Half

147th, Loop Half

Levels

Level 88 Hitpoints: August 21st, 2007

Level 84 Defence: August 18th, 2007

Thanks for having a read... and tomorrow come back so you can enjoy a look! :thumbsup:

JimmyD17

Slack_Tide.png

Haha, no. No more 91 runecrafting. I'm sure that it would beat the money I'd be making at barrows, but when I do do some runecrafting it comes on bursts. My burst has since cooled it's self off. I went from level 75 to 84 without going after any other levels and got a little burnt out. I'm sure that I will go after it again but not for a while. ::'

Thanks for taking a look at it too.

Slack_Tide.png

Goodluck!

I really hope you achieve it, because what has happened to you is the main reason I never lend out my Partyhat, not even to people I know IRL.

But I think you learnt from this, a good friend of me experienced the same, and he began moneymaking to a new Hat, and now he has one :D.

sigdk2fa4.png

Here's my blog: restoring it soon | Achieved 99 Crafting

Quoting yourself is laaaaame

Update time!

Figured it was desperately needing an update. There yah go. Updated as far as right now. 75 runs in the book and an odd 75 they were. Began with a couple quick items, but then shied away into a 49 run dry spell. (I'm sure people on #tip-it in irc had enough of me saying so...) And then tonight/this morning I ran into a nice bit of luck with 4 items in 5 runs. Hopefully I can stay off those dry spells because I'm rather liking getting these items... so, as you can see I'm up to around 9m in profit already. (Cash was there previously.) Another lucky 50-75 runs and I'll be able to add my first Santa to the picture. :thumbsup: Hopefully I'll be done that by Friday at the latest.

Thanks for having a read. Come back real soon!

Slack_Tide.png

Good luck on 99 magic :D, and about that phat what a Cunt i hope you bombed his house

Thievingcapesigcopy.png

Jeffery.png

180th to 99 Divination + 1st W36er

Rambo, cannot pk call your friends bro :). Wait nevermind none of SAPK/PKS can. Kappa.

[00] or he has a 5ft penor [00] imagine getting en erection [00] you'd pass out [00] "whoa! head rush..."

:lol:

The fun times in IRC ;)

Gl barrowing jimmy, ill be down there a little more as well when i get these rune gloves <.<

skilsigvz1.png

Click my sig made by Toast for Boom@ Forums!

Haha,yeah when I do get it it'll never leave my head/bank/invent. Thanks for the encouragement.

James, yeah... best I've been able to do is chase him off of 4 or 5 different fansites. Turns out people don't tolerate scammers much... who knew. :XD:

Yoyo, don't spend too much time training for it. Just get the essential, 43+ prayer, 55 slayer, a decent magic level (70 is what I got to start), and a decent defence/hits. Good luck when you do start too. ::'

IRC is one of the things that makes barrows fun to. Plus, you're 12 in 30 kept me going... <.< LoL. GL on the gloves, RfD is a cow... I wanted to do RfD not it's req'd quests! argh...

Slack_Tide.png

Haha,yeah when I do get it it'll never leave my head/bank/invent. Thanks for the encouragement.

James, yeah... best I've been able to do is chase him off of 4 or 5 different fansites. Turns out people don't tolerate scammers much... who knew. :XD:

Yoyo, don't spend too much time training for it. Just get the essential, 43+ prayer, 55 slayer, a decent magic level (70 is what I got to start), and a decent defence/hits. Good luck when you do start too. ::'

IRC is one of the things that makes barrows fun to. Plus, you're 12 in 30 kept me going... <.< LoL. GL on the gloves, RfD is a cow... I wanted to do RfD not it's req'd quests! argh...

Should have dragon tomorrow depending on how lazy aqua is :lol: Grats on the greataxe and gl with future runs

skilsigvz1.png

Click my sig made by Toast for Boom@ Forums!

Loot Picture: August 23rd, 2007

07aug23013807ab6.png

*One Flail was bought with my Veracs Set.

**Some half keys were from previous barrows trips.

***Started with less than 50 blood runes and 100 bolt racks.

Loot Details - Updated on: August 23rd, 2007

Runs Total:

Items:

4th, Veracs Flail

20th, Dharoks Helm

69th, Dharoks Helm

70th, Arhims Skirt

72nd, Arhims Skirt

74th, Veracs Brassard

80th, Dharoks Greataxe

102nd, Dragon Med Helm

110th, Veracs Brassard

Keys:

3rd, Teeth Half

19th, Loop Half

24th, Loop Half

30th, Loop Half

57th, Teeth Half

62nd, Loop Half

76th, Teeth Half

85th, Loop Half

108th, Teeth Half

122nd, Teeth Half

There you have my latest run info. Hoping That I'll get a couple more drops in the next few runs. Running a lil'under my ratio that I like. ::'

Tomorrow I'll get started on the next 50 runs. Less than 100k until I get 85 Defence. Nearing 500k until 96 Magic. Really looking forward to the next couple days. Seen a couple people that have read this too. Good to know it's not being unnoticed. ::'

Until later. Peace!

Slack_Tide.png

Thanks for the replies so far! For today I'm aiming for another 25 runs. Get me to 150 as well as another couple million if all goes as planned. Today is also my 7th day on this quest. I'm hoping to keep up the average of +2m a day. ::'

Slack_Tide.png

hello, ur getting some nice loot from your runs. I'm just starting barrowing, and am a novice having only done about 5 runs. I wanna know wat invent shud i set up for my level. I am a 95 Cb with 78 att, 75 def, 80 str and 75 hits. Have 60 range and 66 mage. On tip.it guide, if i use the 90+ recomendation set up, i feel I am coming up short on the food front, but using the 90 and under set up, will be using up to many prayer pots. Wt set up do you use when u barrow?

loggy1.png

Inventory & Equipment

inventorygf1.png

I've been asked a couple times in game about my inventory & equipment as well. I've added it underneath my starting stats for all to see. ::' I like using Veracs for it's prayer & defensive bonus. I range Ahrim, mage Dharok and usually have 20-30 prayer points left over to take on Karil. A lot fo times I even have some prayer points left over for Verac, but I don't melee pray on him. Instead I use Mystic Might to speed it up a bit. For food I usually fair pretty good. Most time I use about 3-4 monks, but the odd 1/15 times I use all 13 when I have a Karil tunnel. The prayer pot is for emergency use only and I rarely use it. I've used 4 doses in my 130 runs so far.. ::'

Have any questions? Feel free to ask away.

Slack_Tide.png

If you're killing the brothers as fast as possible, then you're doing what you can do. This is actually the first time I have decided to do it without any prayer pots. When I did use them I was getting a little bit better results than yourself, but that was with higher stats. So, with 2 4 dose I think that's acceptable from your stand point. Good luck. ::'

Slack_Tide.png

Good Luck Jimmeh! :twisted:

I know you will make it.

Maybe you should phase in some RCing into your goal. Try and get 1 RC level for ever 200 or so runs. That would get you 90 RC by the time you finish and it means (hopefully) that you won't burn out.

My%20Nihilism.png

~James~

even tho i dont play rs i spotted this thread 2 days ago (maybe yesterday?) and i keep waiting for an update :wall: , lol its so interesting hehe.

keep up the good work jimmy :D :D :D

gofsiggycr2.png

DK Drops (duo) - 4 - 1x D Axe 1x Berserker, 2x Warrior. Drag Drops - 1 - 1x Skirt.

Barrows Drops - 14 - 1x G spear, 3x K skirt , 2x k x-bow, 1x k top, 2x v flail, 1x v brassard, 1x dh body, 1x dh legs and 2x dh helm.

Proud owner of a fighter torso

Thanks for the replies.

As for RCing... I'm not too sure. I will be doing some questing for a break every so often from barrows but I've decided that if I were to RC I'd be using FFL which I might buy the essence for before I move to far into this Partyhat goal because ess prices are pretty low at the moment(run-ons ftw). It'll cost roughly 19m to buy all the essence to get to level 91 Rcing. So... it's a possibility.

Another update will be coming today as I've got 10 runs left until run #150. The drops I've got since the last update include a... Karils Crossbow. That is all... Really hoping I get another 4 in 5 streak or something to brighten up my day. ::' I've also decided that I'll try to take pictures of the items as I get them. Make this thing a little more interesting and colourful. :thumbsup:

Slack_Tide.png