Suggestions For A New Combat-Affecting Skill?

Kempomkills

I like your idea about the magical and ranging defense

You could call the magical defense "resistance"

And as for the ranging defense....open for suggestions as far as the name I suppose. And this wouldn't so badly throw off the apparently un-balanced Combat Triangle, because Jagex could easily fix any errors to the triangle that this brings.

I also like the idea of the "Healing" Skill, because it seems these days that everyone is complaining that we need higher-healing food (because godsword and fight torso max hits are ridiculous)

-Kempomkills

kempomkills.png

DRAGON DROPS: 8

fighting your way up.......Killeminjaro (kill-em-in-jaro) i dont know....... i was thinking about summoning.. but dont really want that my self and has been said before...

ok, say your lvl 126. your on the front page of the HS. youve been to the GWD a hundred times, not dying once. you consider your self one of the best players on RS (arrogant noob i know :P)

then this skill comes out...

with this skill, you get exp=to the lvl of the monster. BUT, you start out killing the lowest lvl monsters ever, chickens, man/woman etc. as you gain lvls you can kill higher up monsters.

by now i bet your all thinking that training would cease completely. but no! this skill will have some new drops per monster. the new drops could be like 1 piece from each monster up the the highest one for a new weapon. now it would start out like a needle or something. but as you gain lvls and can kill more monsters, you can get more pieces. you attach them to one another, and when you retrieve all of them, you have a very powerful weapon.

ok i just thought of this spur of the moment... not good i know... but hey... i only see a couple uo ther so far... :-w

yarlyyo3.gif

^^^Click for My Newgrounds Page!

Um, infernalz, isn't that Slayer?

"Join me next week on 'Let's Make No Freaking Sense', when I shall be waxing an owl."

- Green Wing

Barrows Drops: 1x Verac's Flail, 2x Karil's Crossbow, 1x Torag's Hammers, 1x Karil's Leatherskirt, 1x Karil's Coif

I really like that Resiliance idea, though I can see how it would be difficult to implement.

I had a pretty good Summon skill idea on another forum a long time ago that was loosely based on Warcraft 3's item-based summons, but I don't remember half of it and the forum has since disappeared.

What little I do remember was the skill would let you make enchanted statues of various materials (wood, clay, metal, etc.) that you could temporarily bring to life to fight for you. I also remember something about healing or enhancing them by feeding them the raw form of their component material (ores, logs, etc), but I don't remember all the details of how that worked.

I think there was also a multiple-summon option for higher skill levels that worked similarly to RuneCrafting's multi-craft bonus, but again, the details are lost to the sands of time.

cube347.jpg

Part of the Star Traks network. (^^Clicky!)

Irony: An amnesiac rediscovering they have an eidetic memory.

I know this seems like an overly simplistic reply, but doesn't the entire motivation for the resilliance skill simply mimic what armor already does, chiefly absorb the brunt of an attack?

Proof of this might be obtained by fighting mithril dragons in dragonhide armor, praying protect from melee.

You will take a lot of 0 damage from your dragonhide, as the dragon will hit you quite often with his mage attack, but your hide will absorb the blow.

On the other hand you can determine how often he hits by your mage attack defense (if that makes any sense).

It's one of the kind of glitches in runescape, you can tell when you've actually been *hit* by something, but take no damage from it.

It also happens occasionally at infernal mages. It's different for pvp, I *think*, as I remember very few spells connecting that hit for 0 damage (except the occasional snare/entangle).

I'm probably digressing, but I thought that needed to be shared.

so there's this thread in p2p general called "the most annoying things ppl do on runescape" i am tempted to post "ya wen im cybering with a girl and they log off for no reason"

I was just about to make a suggestion similar to one above, but they beat me to it...

Regardless, I'll flesh it out to kick off some discussion. The current melee combat skills are imbalanced. The evidence for this is the existence of pures; if the combat skills were balanced, they wouldn't be as effective as they are now. Quite apart from this, it's quite clear that there's a logical hole in the combat system:

Attack: increases your chance of hitting an opponent (i.e. not scoring a 0)

Defence: decreases your chance of being hit by an opponent (i.e. them scoring a 0)

Strength: increases your max hit, thus increasing the likelihood you'll hit higher.

Attack and Defence work against each other, but Strength is unpaired. There is no way to counteract it, thus making Strength pures effective. The skill I propose provides this counteraction. My preferred name for it is 'Resilience', although the name is the least important part.

Now, it's important that Resilience doesn't simply cancel out an opponent's Strength on a one-for-one basis, otherwise the stats become useless at a high level, and high levels would be invincible to lower levels. Rather, it must decrease the odds of a high hit. Consider it this way. Under the present system (possibly, unsure of the probabilities), in a situation where your character's attack has been rolled against your opponent's defence and you've scored a hit, then if your max hit is five then you have a 1-in-5 chance of hitting a value between 1 and 5 inclusive.

Let's consider what happens if we factor in my Resilience model. Say you hit a 4. Now, we want to leave open the possibility of lucky high hits, so we can't just give Resilience a single roll to see how much it's reduced. Rather, we have a two-step process: firstly, a roll to see whether Resilience is applied (odds determined by level) and then a roll to see by how what percentage the damage is reduced (again, odds determined by level). The maximum damage can be reduced by is 50%, to prevent fights lasting forever.

Now while you may be claiming that the current combat system is fine and doesn't need this, I argue that it does. I base this on the current upsurge in threads claiming that HP isn't rising enough to counter the new max hits from weapons like the Godsword. A Resilience system, or similar, would permit those max hits while greatly reducing their occurrence, making them much less of a factor. What do you think?

Your idea makes sense, however it only works for melee attacks. For rangers all power and accuracy comes from the ranged skill. You would then have both defense and resilience trying to counteract the ranged skill, that is too much. Even worse is it for magic. Their damage is not that skill dependent.

phata_elise.png

Lime_Mercury: Actually, armour doesn't impact on the amount you're damaged, it merely affects combat in the same way that defence does, by increasing the likelihood of the opponent hitting zero. The difference being, different types of armour defend against different types of attack, whereas defence is applied to all types of attack.

phata_elise: That's a very good point. Certainly, in the case of Magic, given that skill level doesn't impact upon damage done (except for Slayer Dart), it's arguable resilience shouldn't apply. However, your range level does affect your max hit when ranging - but not to the same extent as strength does. Given that range's max hit is currently rising, however, (i.e. Dark Bow specials), it's arguable that resilience could be applicable to range, potentially with a lessened effect.

dragon312: arbitrary attempts at humorous retorts do not an argument make. If you don't think there is a logical gap in the current combat system, say why.

"Join me next week on 'Let's Make No Freaking Sense', when I shall be waxing an owl."

- Green Wing

Barrows Drops: 1x Verac's Flail, 2x Karil's Crossbow, 1x Torag's Hammers, 1x Karil's Leatherskirt, 1x Karil's Coif

I think the mage observation implies that armor at least partially serves a "reduce damage of successful attack to 0" role...

It's an on-off thing, not a degree thing.

so there's this thread in p2p general called "the most annoying things ppl do on runescape" i am tempted to post "ya wen im cybering with a girl and they log off for no reason"