Steve Fossett Goes missing

Achilleus

A search for missing record-breaking US adventurer Steve Fossett is set to resume at first light in the Nevada desert, officials say.

Mr Fossett, 63, was last seen taking off from a private airfield at the Flying M Ranch near Yerington, Nevada, on Monday evening.

Mr Fossett was flying a single-engine Citabria plane.

Rescuers have since flown more than a dozen sorties, but they say it is like looking for a needle in a haystack.

The search - suspended for the night - is due to resume at 1400 BST, officials say.

See a map of the area

Rescuer teams will be focusing their efforts on an area of 600 square miles (1,555 square km), but the only clue rescuers have as to his whereabouts is that he was intending to fly south.

The authorities were alerted when Mr Fossett's family reported him missing after he failed to return from a trip which should have lasted just a few hours.

Steve is a tough old boot. I suspect he is waiting by his plane right now for someone to pick him up

Sir Richard Branson

Conditions for Mr Fossett's flight had reportedly been optimal, with calm to light winds.

"The Civil Air Patrol is looking for him. One problem is he doesn't appear to have filed a flight plan," Federal Aviation Administration spokesman Ian Gregor told the Associated Press news agency.

Mr Gregor said the Air Force's Rescue Co-ordination Center in Langley, Virginia, was overseeing the search.

Officials say Mr Fossett's plane was fitted with an electronic beacon which can be picked up by satellites, but have refused to comment on whether any signal has been located.

Exclusive airstrip

Speaking to the BBC about the disappearance of his former crewmate and one-time ballooning rival, Virgin Atlantic President Sir Richard Branson said he was confident his friend would be found safe and well.

SOME OF FOSSETT'S RECORDS

1998/2002: Long-distance for solo ballooning

2001/2002: Duration for solo ballooning

2002: First solo round-the-world balloon flight

First balloon crossings of Asia, Africa, Europe, South America, South Atlantic, South Pacific, Indian Oceans

Seven fastest speed sailing titles

13 World Sailing Speed Record Council titles

2001: Fastest transatlantic sailing

2004: Fastest round-the-world sailing

Round-the-world titles for medium airplanes

US trans-continental titles for non-military aircraft

"Steve is a tough old boot. I suspect he is waiting by his plane right now for someone to pick him up," Mr Branson said.

"The ranch he took off from covers a huge area and Steve has had far tougher challenges to overcome in the past. Based on his track record, I feel confident we'll get some good news soon."

Mr Branson's spokesman said Mr Fossett was carrying four full tanks of fuel, and was searching for empty lake beds suitable for an upcoming attempt at the land speed record.

Record breaker

Mr Fossett made his fortune in the American financial services industry.

But he is best known for the impressive number of world records he has broken as a pilot, balloonist and sailor.

He has set 116 records in five different sports, more than 60 of which remain unbroken.

Last year Mr Fossett broke the world record for flying further than anyone else in history.

In March 2005, he became the first person to fly a plane solo around the world without refuelling.

And in 2002 he was the first person to fly a balloon around the world solo.

This reminds me of that story about the guy that went out in the desert without telling anyone where he was going, fell down a canyon, and got his hand stuck. He had to hack it off with a pocket knife to get out, because no one was able to find him.

As much as I would like to be worried about this guy, he was stupid not to file a flight plan.

p2gq.jpg

This reminds me of that story about the guy that went out in the desert without telling anyone where he was going, fell down a canyon, and got his hand stuck. He had to hack it off with a pocket knife to get out, because no one was able to find him.

As much as I would like to be worried about this guy, he was stupid not to file a flight plan.

Dang :lol:

How morbid :XD:

i didn't even know who he was until i saw the news :oops:

his fault for not filling out his flight log....tsk tsk :shame: , if he would've done that he would have been found hours after he had gone missing

clansig7.gif

Why didnt he have anyone track him along the way? Man if I was traveling around the world, I would want someone tracking me just in case I get lost.

He wasn't traveling around that world... He was on a 'couple hour flight' searching for locations to attempt to break the land speed record.

This has been all over the local news, me living in Nevada and all. I hope he gets back alright but it's really not looking hopeful; it doesn't look like the signal beacon activated or whatever on a potential crash.

rangesig.gif

I think its crazy that planes can fall out of the sky with no one knowing where they are. Hope he turns up safe after a few nights in the wilderness.

Signature3.gif

With so many trees in the city you could see the spring coming each day until a night of warm wind would bring it suddenly in one morning. Sometimes the heavy cold rains would beat it back so that it would seem that it would never come and that you were losing a season out of your life. But you knew that there would always be the spring as you knew the river would flow again after it was frozen. When the cold rains kept on and killed the spring, it was as though a young person had died for no reason. In those days though the spring always came finally but it was frightening that it had nearly failed.