Dark Bow Vs Magic Shortbow

Andrew_s_2

I don't know why people use a crystal bow now anyways, since a rune xbow with mith/addy bolts is better, and you don't have to count shots or recharge it :-k

Those saying db is a good overall weapon, I bet they never actually tried training with it :lol:

Your signature says retired, little suspicious :roll: .

igsig.png

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cheap/effective

expensive/effective

Although DB is much more powerful, it is useless for training, as the time between attacks is enough for someone to steal the kill i believe, and the mage short can easily be made, or bought for under 10k, and is one of the best range trainers for people with low cash. (chins cannon crystal bow all are better, but more expensive)

In my opinion, the DB is for quick fast kills, and more of a pk orientated weapon, and the mage short is overall rounded for everything (training, pking)

99 Fletching 99 Attack 99 Constitution 99 Cooking 99 Strength

Gamertag: H8tebringer

h8tebringer-siggy-bloodskull-1.jpg

I don't know why people use a crystal bow now anyways, since a rune xbow with mith/addy bolts is better, and you don't have to count shots or recharge it :-k

Those saying db is a good overall weapon, I bet they never actually tried training with it :lol:

Your signature says retired, little suspicious :roll: .

Retired/inactive, whatever. Stick to the topic of this thread.

cheap/effective

expensive/effective

Although DB is much more powerful, it is useless for training, as the time between attacks is enough for someone to steal the kill i believe, and the mage short can easily be made, or bought for under 10k, and is one of the best range trainers for people with low cash. (chins cannon crystal bow all are better, but more expensive)

In my opinion, the DB is for quick fast kills, and more of a pk orientated weapon, and the mage short is overall rounded for everything (training, pking)

LOL, why would jagex make a weapon where it's so slow you can take the person's kill? No itr isn't that slow, i traiend with it for a bit, and no1 could take mine, it attacks about 4-5secs

so no.. no can steal you monster.. :roll:

99 attack-34,104th to 99 attack.

spirittrack.png

A_Spirit_God.png

msb>dark bow

Dark Bow

Dark bow

I think you can see the dark bow is inferior except for the spec.

dark bow is a good staking wepon.

Just use a dark bow spec and switch to rune cbow (rune dstone bolts)

and youve just owned an enemy

megamansigho7.jpg

I'd say crystal bow would be more effective in ranged training over its ammo-required counterparts, as the time it takes to pick up your arrows/bolts, (as well as the stray one or two ammo some money-saving people like to pick up) adds up and is taken away from time that could otherwise be spent dealing damage and obtaining exp.

However, this is somewhat negated with the degradation of the crystal bow (lacking much power when it is in its dying stages) and the time taken to recharge the seed after it is all used up.

imo, for training: MSB=Crystal Bow>Rune cbow>dark bow.

I like speed over power, tbh. :P

I have 8 crystal bows, degradation is never an issue...why? You count your shots, at about 240, switch to a lower bow, when it hits 10 shots the weaker bow you now have equipped, takes the degradation. Switch back to your full bow and repeat. Gives the ability to shoot 240 shots at full crystal power, and 10 shots at a lower. I use 10 in case I miscount. So 95% of the time I am using the most powerful bow without concern of collecting bolts/arrows. 8 bows because making that run to the elf to recharge is more efficient, plus you go through bows quick.

I have dark bow *points to slayer lev*, and while it looks cool, I prefer to sell them and use my crystals, even tho as you can tell by my stats, I dont range often as I detest it. Nver understood the attraction, 2-3 hits melee, vice 2-3 mins plucking a bow...same kill. meh

btw i go through about 6k cannon shots per dark bow drop...sigh, still profitable tho *huggz slayer*

May I ask if you have a special trick counting? or do you just count them 1 after 1 etc.

I used to count my shots 1 by 1...that got boring after about 10 shots...

I either count em one by one, or average the shots per kill out, in that case I give myself a 25 error factor, so I switch at 225ish. Crystal; same as shooting with rune arrows, no picking up or losing ammo.....my preference.

lord+krohn.png

RS name: lord krohn Combat 138

slayer specific: 103 whips, 38 dark bows and 250+ dragon boots dropped to date.

Dragon drops: 5 Half shields, 21 drag legs, 8 dragon skirts, and 9 drag meds dropped to date.

I'd have to say the MSB has too many good things going for it right now so the DB can't beat it.

MSB:

Fast

Good Training Wep.

Cheap

DB:

Good Special

IMO Crystal Bow is the best overall

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

I always use crystal bow for training, since it's like the same cost/effectiveness

as training with rune arrows, but without having to actually pick up arrows.

I was wondering, though, I was thinking about this. Say I equip rune arrows with a MSB,

and when trying to finish someone in dueling/PK'ing, is it possible to:

Fire MSB special, immediately switch to Dark Bow, fire normal shot with Dark Bow.

Can you do that? 'Cause that'd be four arrows in a pretty short amount of time, and if you

get lucky that's potential for very high damage, powerful Ranged finishing move.

My greatest ambition is to kill every member of the human race.

crackersapparentlyiu8.png

However I am a realist and therefore know that I probably wont be able to.

idiotacyoa5.png

I remember testing the Dark Bow once.

First, it's attack range on BOTH rapid and long range is 10. That matches the crystal bow.

It's interesting to note that there's no weapon (except maybe cannon, haven't tested that one) that has an attack range greater than 10. And there's no reason to use long range on the Dark Bow besides defence experience.

Second, it's special attack can hit a theoretical 92, as the max hit ever seen with one arrow on special is 46. It may be higher and if you have pictures proving otherwise please post.

Also, it shoots exactly twice per five attacks with an MSB. Meaning an MSB deals one extra hit every two attacks with the Dark Bow, but the Dark Bow is more accurate, and deals more damage at once.

It's pretty much useless as a primary weapon in PvP. Just hitting high isn't enough, you need to hit fast to keep them healing, although it is a VERY good knockout weapon.

It's deadly accurate, and my favorite weapon at Dagannoth Kings now. Also, it's full attack range doesn't hurt.

It can use dragon arrows, so if you're planning to use ONLY dragon arrows, you can deal more damage/set amount of time than Magic Shortbow if you're attacking a target weak enough that you hit practically every time.

So don't plan on PKing with JUST a darkbow. The fact is, you can't take out anyone with max HP in one shot, even in void, and they'll just heal themselves then hit back between every attack. But if it's some monster you used to use a crystal bow on for accuracy, use dark bow instead. Also if you have 10k dragon arrows and their price drops to the abyss, then dark bow is a feasible alternative for a training weapon.

The special attack part about hitting 46 with 1 arrow, search 7 s o u l 7 and watch pk vid 2 and he hits a 48-37

is it possible to:

Fire MSB special, immediately switch to Dark Bow, fire normal shot with Dark Bow.

Can you do that? 'Cause that'd be four arrows in a pretty short amount of time, and if you

get lucky that's potential for very high damage, powerful Ranged finishing move.

No, both specs use 55% of the bar.