Transparent Screen

dark_counda

My friend found this and showed it to me, and I found the concept quite intresting.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/w00kie/723 ... et-180637/

I have a feeling it's an April fools joke, but the idea of having a transparent screen intrigues me. It would be intresting to see if this was possible (we would have to put a few cameras on the back of the screen, I'm assumming).

What are your opinions on this?

How exactly would this work? I don't quite get it. So what if we can see whats behind us on our screen? Isnt the point to have solid colour behind what we are viewing? Its like setting our desktop theme to transparent, and its pretty annoying if you ask me. :?

signaturecj5.jpg

I have seen transparent panels for non-LCD clock-like interfaces, where simple lines are carved through a near-transparent panel, and electricity then just goes through the nessecary lines, highlighting them.

It wouldn't work for an LCD though -- the liquid, as well as LOTS of transistors, microchips and other pieces of equipment would need to be behind the screen, and they can't be transparent.

3 ways how this photo may have been made:

1. Taking a photo of the place behind the display, uploading it on the computer, setting it as desktop wallpaper. Very hard to take photo of exact angle, with proper lighting etc, but possible.

2. Having one or more videocameras behind the computer screen that record whatever is behind it and then follow step 1 in real time or with some framerate. Extremely unlikely (for an image of this quality) due to technical task, but possible nontheless.

3. Overwhelmingly likely: photomanip. The easiest thing -- set up a stationary camera, close the laptop, take a photo; open the laptop, take a photo; then just combine the two pictures, keeping the outer frame of the open laptop, but replacing everything within the screen range with the picture of the closed laptop.

Live free or die. First option is exhausted, so guess what remains?

And yeah, another possible way -- either creating a makeshift or destroying an original (although who in their right mind would do that), screen, by removing everything inside except the frame, and then just taping on a transparent plastic sheet with the nessecary drawings (like icons).

In some other pictures I saw a MIRRORED, rather than transparent screen. That one is much easier to do -- can be done with a simple webcam and the nessecary software, or just glue on the screen a very reflexive coating.

Live free or die. First option is exhausted, so guess what remains?

Hmmm, couldn't you just have like camera in the top part of the screen that project an image down over the LCD bit?

I know I didn't explain it in a very technical way but it's kinda' hard to put into words.

Hmmm, couldn't you just have like cameras in the top part of the screen that project an image down over the LCD bit?

I know I didn't explain it in a very technical way but it's kinda' hard to put into words.

Ack!! Stupid edit button, I want my edit button back! :P

I meant:

Couldn't you just have like cameras in the top part of the screen that project an image down over the LCD bit?

This was my attempt, a good first go if i do say so myself. Ill have a proper go tomorrow at work :D

transparentlaptop1kr.jpg

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

I doubt highly that it's a photo manipulation, cutting out all the icons+labels would be an insanely huge PITA..

My guess is that it's just close laptop, take picture, set picture as desktop after some creative cropping..

Only a couple of the ones on that site are very good, most people buggered up the lighting.

IRKAa.jpg

This was my attempt, a good first go if i do say so myself. Ill have a proper go tomorrow at work :D

transparentlaptop1kr.jpg

I have the exact same notebook as you mate :) But I have a 26" lcd tv for it not a little dell lcd :P

I doubt highly that it's a photo manipulation, cutting out all the icons+labels would be an insanely huge PITA..

My guess is that it's just close laptop, take picture, set picture as desktop after some creative cropping..

Only a couple of the ones on that site are very good, most people buggered up the lighting.

That's exactly how they're done.

That's exactly how they're done.

You could always attach a camera to the middle back of the notebook monitor then setup a Web Desktop with the camera playing in realtime lol. Well... a funny idea but at least it could work :P

I have the exact same notebook as you mate :) But I have a 26" lcd tv for it not a little dell lcd :P

:D Thats my dads laptop, mine is only a standard D600 but it was at work when i took the pic.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

If the reader looks on down the page he finds:

1st- with a tripod take a picture of your desk without the computer on it.

2nd- take a picture now with the computer on the desk.

3rd - open both pictures in photoshop and paste one of the pictures over the other as a new layer.

4th- make a selection of the area of the computer desktop and copy it from the image that has no computer.

5th- the image might be skewed due to screen positioning. Use the free transform funtion and drag all corners of the selection to match the picture canvas.

6th- use this image as the desktop in the computer.

7th with camera still in position, take a picture and the illusion will be created.

yes u could just have a plain cloured background to make the job alot easier when it came to cutting out the icons or not many icons :P

:D :D :D

Aussie Aussie Aussie,

:D