Buying a bass guitar.

woopidoo2

I think I will buy a bassguitar, I want to try something else after learning 7 years of semi-acoustic guitar. :)

Are there any things I should keep in mind when buying one? are there any good brands I should try out?

Thanks in advance.

carsignatureis3.jpg

[http://woopidoo2.deviantart.com]

[Tip.it Moderator from Dec 10, 2006 to 03 Sep, 2008]

The first step is to tune out anyone who says "if you can play guitar you can automatically play bass".

But I would start out with a bass pack. They have a bass and everything else you need to start playing.

Here's a good site for bass packs:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigati ... 001+306318

Also, try to use your fingers when you start playing so that you can build up some strength, then you can decide if you want to use a pick or not.

111-1.jpg

Ibanez appears to be a popular starter choice for basses, my friend has one and it is effective.

Amen bro. Amen. I've played Ibanez guitars for as long as I can remember, and my friend uses one of their basses. Sickest looking thing ever. Very nice sounding too.

Harmonicdoom.png

Actually using a pick sounds better sometimes, for some songs. But using your fingers until you're comfortable with your bass will be more beneficial.

I'd recommend a Fender P-Bass.

I really wouldn't call it an era. It was more of a definitive time period during which dinstinctive characteristics were expressed in similar ways.

Svirnsigscore.gif

Ibanez seems the way to go.

A quick tip - Play with your fingers from the start, never use a plectrum unless its TOTALLY necessary. Plectrums on bass look stupid, and sound rubbish too.

why would looks matter?

Well, it wouldn't...and usually, finger-pickers are usually the more skilled bassists, but Chris Squire uses a pick and look at some of the stuff he's played :shock:

I'm not a bassist though, and the only friend I have that plays bass fingerpicks. I believe he uses and Ibanez.

klaatu-tabs.jpg

"El que no arriesga no gana"

I actually don't think a plectrum would even be neccessary, with the thickness of the strings on a bass and how far apart they are I see no reason to use one. Maybe check your local music stores, take a tab for an easy looking song along with you and ask if you can try one of their basses, or even better if a friend has one go to their house and try it. If you go for the music shop method use a bit of acting and make out your definitely considering buying from THEIR shop, they'll be way more likely to allow it then. :wink:

sigggyjv2.gif

Sig by me....