Runescape (the name)

Guest Kickpointy

i think it just means "Magical World" tbh

+1

Your sig and avatar... <3:<3:<3:

umm, you just did a "1+"

Anyways, the thing you said aobut Magical World seems to be the right thing.

It fits pretty well according to me.

tifsbti6oi.gif

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Runescape...

R is for the way you Run at me...

U cuz U the only 1 i see...

N is very very Next to ordinary...

E is Even more than anyone that you adore...

RUNE was made for me and you...

SPONGE BOB ftw

Umm what?

He's parodying a song by Nat King Cole called L-O-V-E. Spongebob didn't make that up.

At first I didn't understand what "Runescape" meant.. I noticed it was also Run Escape but then I thought that was a stupid idea.

I guess it does just mean Magic World, basically Runescape is a tale of a world (with unknown origins) where three men rose to power (and became gods somehow. This is why I don't believe in polytheism!), created magics locked away in stones called runes, and then people started doing stuff. Four ages later you are born.

According to Barbarian Assault, they provide runes because these were the runes "blessed to us by the gods" that we are right to use, and runecrafting is sinful.. I guess runes are still made out of rune essence and crafted but apparently it's disrespectful towards the Runescape gods if you make them yourself.

Officially retired on 12/10/07, no drop parties because that might be "covertly trading wealth". What does one person's happiness(until they quit) mean compared to the hours I wasted while runecrafting, anyways?

Gielinor and RuneScape

One of the most interesting things to note when travelling around this mysterious old world of ours is the name. Many of the people you will come across will refer to it as RuneScape, and many will say Gielinor, but which is correct? I have conducted a little research on the topic of this name and made some intriguing discoveries. The name RuneScape appears to have been given to this world by human settlers at some point in the distant past for reasons unknown, although a couple of prominent theories do seem to exist.

Dream Vision

The first theory holds the change was due to difficulty pronouncing and spelling Gielinor. As written language was a fairly recent introduction for the hardy humans who were brought to the world by Guthix, they could barely spell and had an enormous amount of trouble with the word Gielinor, meaning they called the world anything from 'Ganore' to 'Gillanjar'. An early human leader, whose name has been lost to the mists of time, decided this would simply not do and decided to create a new name for the world, both in order to standardise the spelling and as a legacy for himself. The reasons he chose the name are unclear, although according to the legend he saw the great mage Andrew in a dream vision and had the presence of runes revealed to him many years before their eventual discovery.

Run! Escape!

The second theory suggests a rather different story. Humans arrived in Gielinor a long time ago, when the world as we know it was young. This land was vast and strange to them and as they tentatively explored they were faced with many unknowns. This situation was not helped by the fact that Guthix was still populating the Gielinor as he saw fit, meaning human parties may be out hunting wolves when a thoroughly confused unicorn would suddenly appear between them and their prey, startling all concerned. Despite these trials and tribulations the humans were stalwart and brave, and rarely let their fear of this strange land get the best of them. All this changed one day when a terrifying apparition of an old man appeared before them and began hurling magical rotating cubes, seemingly in a fit of anger. They huddled silently, trembling in fear, but still this mighty being would not stop. Eventually a voice rang out - the voice of the very bravest warrior amongst them; "Run! Escape!" From this day forward the area was known as RunEscape which eventually, as memories faded, became corrupted into RuneScape.

Modern Times

Unfortunately we do not know for sure which, if either, of these legends is true, but I favour the second. It fills me with a strange sense of dÃÆÃâÃâéjÃÆÃâÃâà vu, but alas my memory is not what it used to be and I can not even remember where I first heard this tale!

However the name RuneScape came into being, one thing we can be sure of is that it is much younger than its counterpart, Gielinor, and is not the name Guthix originally gave to the world. While the majority of residents of our world use the name RuneScape, devout followers of Guthix have always favoured Gielinor, and increasingly the illuminati of RuneScape can be heard to use the true name for the world.

I think he summed it up quite nicely.

EDIT: lmao, read the first theory closely.

soldersig.jpg