Tip.it Times Presents: The absence (or surplus?) of Time.

MPM

harsh truth, the young tried to waste time and the old tried to savor it. I guess it really come down to you don't know what you have until you lost it. Yea after reading your article I feel like crap now...Just being honest, I am not dissing anyone or anybody here, maybe I should be taking game time and then go find out my major for school, and eventually affect my future. I guess gaming time have to wait, thanks you so much for bringing this topic up. Much appreciation.

ÃÆââ¬Å¡ÃâéTran

Well, if you want to do something constructive, make sure you're doing it because it is fun and will have a positive effect on your life, not just because you think it's constructive.

For example, I spend a decent amount of my week studying Latin phrases and Japanese. Why? Well, one, I have four years of Latin, including an intense AP class, under my belt, so with translations I can gain vocabulary from trying to translate the phrases verbatim (it's actually quite humorous finding out how much Latin phrases get conjugated or written wrong). That way, I retain Latin, learn new Latin, and learn something actually useful and modern- Latin colloquialisms.

As for Japanese, I watch subtitled anime, and thus learning the language will allow me to watch these shows without subtitles. And because I do this frequently, I would be able to retain the language, unlike... uh, Spanish, for example :P .

That, and Kanji just interests the hell out of me. Thousands upon thousands of characters (estimates have reached around 50,000 or more), used all over Asia... the system is astonishing, as well as far too difficult to even last the next century, but the challenge and interest of connecting the characters to the ideographic images they represent is astoundingly interesting, to me anyways. It's just kind of a nice bonus to trying to learn Japanese.

By finding multiple things that interest me, including many more things beyond a current interest in foreign languages, I feel fulfilled throughout my day, as well as excited to know when I have the free time to do the constructive things I love. Whether it be reading, sports, or just learning in general, anything, finding something that you both love and know is going to enhance yourself as a person can give you quite a great feeling inside ::' .

[As a suggestion, I'd recommend for those looking for something like this, just find some subject you're interested in. Greek Mythology, Quantum Mechanics, Architecture, Classical novels, the history of a war, just look for those special topics that peek your interest, and put your heart and soul into them. There's nothing in the world like studying something you're obsessed with :mrgreen: .]

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with rebdragon, anyone can barely pass in school and then get a mediocre job. Sure, he's happy and all. But what reb will do will spread happiness. I'm sure almost everyone has seen one of those movies where the guy almost dies then realizes the meaning of life. Then and there he realizes that his life was unimportant and he was another brick in the wall. I can't honestly believe playing video games make people THAT happy. Sure, rs amuses me and relieves stress such as sports also. But the question is AM I TRULY HAPPY? That's a question that many won't find until it's too late. In the end we ask ourselves, "Did i do anything with my life?"

After reading "Genghis Khan and the making of the modern world" for ap world i realized how closely connected we all were. If his father had not kidnapped his mother then the world as we know it would not exist today. If he had lost even a single battle in his rise he probaly never would have grown up to become who he became.

If your going to spend your life playing the latest xbox and ps3 games...think about all those people out there who are dieing. Their lives are passing and your spending yours doing something you "love" but worthless. If you just saw the latest southpark episode you might understand a little better lol =p

But what I'm saying is that although it is right to do what you love, you can't always do it. There are time when you have to do what you don't because you must. I doubt my dad likes being a 48 year old postman and delivry driver at night or my mom waking up at 3 in the morning each day except sunday. They must so that I can have a better life. Life isn't just about YOU, the gift of life is a privlege and is not your property. And if you say that your life is soley your own, then why can you not be immortal, why can you not make yourself fly. In the end everything is "fate".

This was a very good article. But it seemed kinda rushed.

It's even more bizarre when you think of the elderly, their minds don't live in the present but rather in the past. That would seem to mean that time is an element that we start out always seem to be trying to get rid of, but when we reach a certain age we realize that time is limited and we try to prolong and relive it. What is the point of killing time now if your going to be trying to savor it later? Some people call me an optimist, but I just say I'm too lazy to spend half my life killing something only to spend the other half of my life trying to save it. I say enjoy things as they happen and don't spend your life sitting around and just constantly looking forward to things that haven't even happened yet.

You would think the editor would know how to edit.

I is a genius!

This was a very good article. But it seemed kinda rushed.

It's even more bizarre when you think of the elderly, their minds don't live in the present but rather in the past. That would seem to mean that time is an element that we start out always seem to be trying to get rid of, but when we reach a certain age we realize that time is limited and we try to prolong and relive it. What is the point of killing time now if your going to be trying to savor it later? Some people call me an optimist, but I just say I'm too lazy to spend half my life killing something only to spend the other half of my life trying to save it. I say enjoy things as they happen and don't spend your life sitting around and just constantly looking forward to things that haven't even happened yet.

You would think the editor would know how to edit.

Sorry for the spam, but I just have to say this...

OMG!!!1! The editor made a typo! I think the sky's falling down... :roll:

best-guide-ever.jpg

awesome artical i haven't read one in a long time so it was a nice reflection

and as for the topic of the artical i shall quote Douglas Adam

"time is and illusion Luch time doubly so"

PS:sry bout teh spelling errors

frt999.png

98% Of teenagers surround their minds with rap music, if you're part of the 2% that stayed with rock, put this in your signature, ROCK IS BETTER!

I liked that article as it emplies live life but it says "will it matter in 10 years time". I think it is better to play rs than have a real life (apart from nightlife) as in 10 years time i will not remember or not have good memories of sitting on a park bench with 2 or 3 of my friends listening to my iPod being so bored, propably getting into trouble, smashing windows, bullying people tbh. <.<

I think that in 10 years time i will remember Runescape as it gave me an option to have fun and achieve things at the same time, then it became more challanging as i try to get 99 in all skills but it is what i find fun and if rs is still running in 10 years time i might log on and think of the memories i have had about the game such as the friends that i made and became fond with, my clan and the skills that i have been working on day in day out on for countless months.

Life is over-rated in the day and i would much rather play rs as it has a great community!