Tip.it Times Presents: The absence (or surplus?) of Time.

MPM

That's why I don't do skills like firemaking and woodcutting, they are useless. I'd rather have fun while pking etc. I don't believe firemaking capes will make people happy, they just show how lifeless you are..

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This article really surprised me. Tip It is supposed to be a site to help gamers advance in Rs. This article is basically saying (bluntly) "Quit all MMORPGS now, they're addicting and you're just wasting your time playing it. Look to the future, will it help you then?" So instead of helping it's promoting people to quit. What he's saying is very true...except...except...

It's too early to think about that kinda stuff, ya know? :shame:

Overall, however, this was a well written article. I just didn't enjoy the subject too much.

iHogi.png

If the technology of 10 years ago-today was enough to hook me on games, imagine what the technology of 10-25 years into the future could do to my kids :shock:. They will probably have at least some understanding of why I spent some time playing games. Or they'll just laugh at me and the old days of playing games "by hand" when they use their whole body or some virtual reality thingie(already started happening with Wii :-w.).

lol i was on a comp before you were... my step dad was a computer programer.... he helped write the java language (not write with it but the language itsself!!!) so we had a comp pretty much almost all my life.... current one is a hand me down from my sister will be 9 years old as of dec 13, 2007.... im happy with it though... i want a better one but this'll do.

the reason why i quoted your post though is because of your virtual reality thingy part.... they at one point in time had a true virtual reality game system but they ended up recalling it because peaple would quite literaly lose track of time and play for 24/7 and lost sleep some even starved so they ended up recalling.... i herd that the military uses em for training. so they already had virtual reality i think the wii is just another chance at going for it... hoping that since its not full body you can still keep your self alive... not to mention the fact that your in constant motion (my arm would fall off from that tennis game i seen on tv lol)

i think the wii is the best sytem out there right now. not because its new, not because of graphics or hd or anyhing else like that i like it because it the healthies sytem to play because you actualy have to do somthing physical in order to play.... its only the start i can see sony coming out with somthing like it in a few years lol then microsoft next......

anybody remember when playing driving games on older sytems when you would actualy moved the controller when you turned on race tracks and stuff (omg i just had a flashback of the old twisted metal games) i remember doing that back when graphics were so crappy you actualy felt like it would help lol..... i thik thats were nintendo got there idea from now it WILL help lol

dj_phox.png

A good point that I've felt needed to be addressed in print for a long time, but I still make sure I play games all that I can. Does that make me apathetic or ignorant or both?

[hide=My Stats]Attack:86/Hitpoints:88/Mining:74

Strength:86/Agility:76/Smithing:75

Defence:86/Herblore:74/Fishing:78

Ranged:86/Thieving:73/Cooking:92

Prayer:78/Crafting:82/Firemaking:86

Magic:85/Fletching:77/Woodcutting:88

Runecraft:71/Slayer:80/Farming:88

Construction:70/Hunter:70/Summoning:69

Dungeoneering:18

Total level: 1936

295/303 Quest Points

Combat Level: 117[/hide]

[hide=Interesting Links]My Blog

SportsGuy's Short Guide to Ghostly Warriors

Familiarisation Reward Research[/hide]

I think I fall into the category of one who is "squandering his life in front of a computer.", and while admittedly I need to spend more time on schoolwork, im not really bothered. I still find time to hang out with friends, but otherwise I pretty much spend all my favorite free time on the computer. Its my favorite thing to do when ive got time to waste, so I dont see much reason to do anything else. I still have a social life, a girlfriend, good grades, and good health; yet I somehow spend an extremely exorbitant time amount on the computer. Whenever I get tired of Runescape and take breaks for a short while, I find some other virtual thing to spend my time on. Ive just never been an outside person. Even before I had a video game addiction I never was any good at sports so I only went outside to play with friends in games like tag and pretending to be a spacecraft etc. Im now too old to enjoy that sort of thing, which would explain why I no longer go outside.

Besides, what is there to do outside in the suburbs?

I will admit however, I often find myself preffering the company of being by myself playing runescape (Except being on a date with my girlfriend, seems to be an exception) than the company of others. I never allow myself to give in to this though and am happy when I've seen my friends.

enex2sigjpegkm3.jpg

Do you hate Wyverns or Warped Terrorbirds? Think again! Misunderstood Monsters!

Want to become a Champion of Champions like I once was? Champion Scroll Guide!

Feeling Bored? List of Sidequests

Rare Drops: Dragon Sq Half : 1, Dragon Med : 2, Dragon Claws : 2, Dragon Legs : 1, Dragon Boots : 60+, Granite Legs: 8

A good point that I've felt needed to be addressed in print for a long time, but I still make sure I play games all that I can. Does that make me apathetic or ignorant or both?

thats ironic because your name is "sportsguy" lol :shame:

This is one of those philisophical articles that I like so much. This article, however, only appeals to those with at least a semi-open mind. If you are saying to yourself "I don't get it," then I suggest you take the time to reexamine your life. Though I like the game, I can only imagine what my life would be like with all those extra hours of my life back. I'm not saying there aren't good reasons to play the game, for example, I am able to speak with my best friend who recently moved about nine hours away, but sometimes I wish that I could have that time back. You never really value time until you experience it. I know that doesn't make much sense, but what I mean is, how would your life be different if every choice you made changed your life? Well, guess what? It does. Maybe I would have met someone who turned me onto sports, and I could have been great at soccer, or football, or wrestling, any one of the sports I have always liked. The point is, every decision we make changes our lives forever, even if we don't always realize it. I've had a few of those moments recently in life, those "What ifs." What if I chose not to participate in that activity? Would I have ever met that person? And, in turn, would I have ever had the oppurtunity to say hi to that person and see that smile on their face? Everything has an impact on our lives. Maybe reading this post will have an impact on yours. I hope it does, and I hope that you will ask yourselves, "Am I making the right choices in life?"

Flyingjj.png

I like how it is getting at the fact people plan free time to play RS instead of playing it in your free time. It's almost saying that RS in a sense, is an addiction.

Although the article does seem to give the impression that you should just quit MMO's all together which is odd for an MMO fan helpsite!

One the whole, a decent article, good job!

I liked this article, but I have to say I don't agree.

The key phrase in my opinion was this: but in ten years will that matter at all?

If you sit down and think about it, what does anything matter? I won't go too far into this subject, because I could ramble on about it for hours, but really, does anything matter?

I don't want to change the topic into the meaning of life, but it is relevant. A lot of people follow a religion and that is what gives their lives meaning, but I'm not religious and I don't believe their is a grand plan behind everything. What I do believe is that the meaning of life is not something universal. It's different for everyone, because they decide the meaning their life has. Some people try to do good deeds, help humanity or something like that. Others just want to have fun.

I could be working right now, earning money for some new car, but would that be meaningful? No, not to me. I play video games and I enjoy it, I look forward to when I get home and can play some more. Does that mean my life has less meaning then that of someone else? Maybe to that other person, but not to me...

In the end I believe everyone should spent their time the way they want to, because if you have fun doing something, then you have spent your time well, no matter what other people think about it.

best-guide-ever.jpg

Great article, in my opinion.

Runescape is something to do when you have free time, not something to devote your life to. It's something to be enjoyed too, not just slaved away at for that next skill level. :wink:

And how about Zezima? Do you think he played when he had the free time? No, I think he became a 5-year old kid that plays on his nintendo all day. He became enslaved and obsessed with becoming the number 1 player in Runescape. I wonder what he did before there was such thing as Internet :XD: :?

rook_2222.png

F2P for life :D

Nice article, you made me recover my password to reply to this post :) My dad, crazy as he is, told me that my younger years were the best of my life, mainly because of the little concerns you have. I always remembered that and enjoyed my years in school. But still, it seems harder to "stop and smell the roses". In my case it's because I can almost touch the things I want which will enrich my life. This makes me focus on the future and makes me want to fast forward life. It seems riduculous to want time to fly by. You always want to have more, develop more. In these times it seems that there are so many possibilities to grow that you cant stop for a while and blossom. I think its just the circle of life. When I look back at my life, there are very precious memories I cherish, but there are also dreams i pursue.

The main thing to hold on to is balance, I think. There must be a time to mess everything up, look for a different road, and time for structure and responsibility. I always think that when you're not taking the right path you will find out eventually. Something will start to frustrate and at a certain point you have to take action to change it.

It maybe a cliche, but only if you cannot grasp it, listen to your heart, and it will lead you to where you need to be.

So, if you feel like playing runescape for hours at a time, just do it. At some point you'll realize want you really want to do. Nothing is a waste of time, just life.

I really like the article, it was well put together, thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Greets,

T

Are you living life to the fullest?

^^Exactly what I was trying to say in my post.

While playing MMORPG's, you often spend "Massive" amounts of your time on something that won't matter later in life. I use the example if you would of spent that time working. Then, at least when you were done with that "Job" you will still of had that money earned to show for it.

People took my post in the wrong direction, and thought that I was saying you should have worked every our instead of playing runescape. No, that is not the case. There needs to be some fun in your life. I just think that playing runescape all day to "pass the time" is an undesirable way to live life. You have no stories from runescape. You can't tell your kids and grandkids about the time you got a dragon chainbody from a kalphite queen on a video game. Or how you and your clan pwned DI at MB and then DS came and salvaged all the loot.

I don't have a problem with playing runescape when you really have nothing better to do. But putting off other important stuff so you can instead sit in front of the computer...just doesn't seem right.

Either way, excellent article to say the least. I'm amazed that we're having the same thoughts right now.

I tend to play Runescape for about 2 hours, then go read a book. When I'm on my laptop, I usually watch videos or play Morrowind. I'd get plenty bored if I spent my entire free-time playing Runescape.

kwarlord.png

"Hey, I can't help it if I was born this cool." Adell, Disgaea 2

The key phrase in my opinion was this: but in ten years will that matter at all?

If you sit down and think about it, what does anything matter? I won't go too far into this subject, because I could ramble on about it for hours, but really, does anything matter?

I don't want to change the topic into the meaning of life, but it is relevant. A lot of people follow a religion and that is what gives their lives meaning, but I'm not religious and I don't believe their is a grand plan behind everything. What I do believe is that the meaning of life is not something universal. It's different for everyone, because they decide the meaning their life has. Some people try to do good deeds, help humanity or something like that. Others just want to have fun.

I could be working right now, earning money for some new car, but would that be meaningful? No, not to me. I play video games and I enjoy it, I look forward to when I get home and can play some more. Does that mean my life has less meaning then that of someone else? Maybe to that other person, but not to me...

In the end I believe everyone should spent their time the way they want to, because if you have fun doing something, then you have spent your time well, no matter what other people think about it.

I must admit, that was a very deep and enlightening post, which was, as far as I can tell, more or less completely correct. There is a problem I found in it though, a problem of gaps; although you addressed the issue of the meaning of life in regards to oneself, you neglected the fact that our meanings and actions effect others. That is, yes, your meaning for yourself, if one has been found, can not be measured to be greater or lesser than anyone elses, but the social effect it has can.

[...]

I was about to write a gigantic response to continue my point, in which I would reference a certain thread, but now I realize that the thread itself completely expounds on the point I was going to make. Thus, if you wish to know what I was going to say, or just want to read one of the greatest threads this forum has to offer, read a better version of what I was thinking right here.

Parts of the Thread I'm Alluding to:

[hide]I live on the lake and it was a beautiful day outside with temps in the 80s. It was the 2nd day of summer vacation and as I sat on my patio in the early afternoon, I was studying for the MCAT in August. I finished a tough chapter and I looked around me. Flying across the water in a nice boat was a guy I knew from high school. He wasnÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t a very smart guy, all though high school he skipped classes to smoke pot, and he dated a different girl each week. He ended up graduating a pathetic 130th out of 150, but he got into a college (the worst university in the state). He was a communications major at college and from what I gather wants to be a salesman for Nabisco like his dad is. His dad earns a respectable $55,000 a year and his wifeÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s job brings the net total to over $100,000. Now I watch him fly past me, one arm holds a beer, the other is wrapped around the waist of a perky blonde in a bikini. For a moment I grew jealous, than I felt anger. Everyone has always told me ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâ¦Ã¢â¬Åwork hard and in the end you will get your rewardÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬ÃâÃ

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

I must admit, that was a very deep and enlightening post, which was, as far as I can tell, more or less completely correct. There is a problem I found in it though, a problem of gaps; although you addressed the issue of the meaning of life in regards to oneself, you neglected the fact that our meanings and actions effect others. That is, yes, your meaning for yourself, if one has been found, can not be measured to be greater or lesser than anyone elses, but the social effect it has can.

[...]

I was about to write a gigantic response to continue my point, in which I would reference a certain thread, but now I realize that the thread itself completely expounds on the point I was going to make. Thus, if you wish to know what I was going to say, or just want to read one of the greatest threads this forum has to offer, read a better version of what I was thinking right here.

[hide]I live on the lake and it was a beautiful day outside with temps in the 80s. It was the 2nd day of summer vacation and as I sat on my patio in the early afternoon, I was studying for the MCAT in August. I finished a tough chapter and I looked around me. Flying across the water in a nice boat was a guy I knew from high school. He wasnÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t a very smart guy, all though high school he skipped classes to smoke pot, and he dated a different girl each week. He ended up graduating a pathetic 130th out of 150, but he got into a college (the worst university in the state). He was a communications major at college and from what I gather wants to be a salesman for Nabisco like his dad is. His dad earns a respectable $55,000 a year and his wifeÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s job brings the net total to over $100,000. Now I watch him fly past me, one arm holds a beer, the other is wrapped around the waist of a perky blonde in a bikini. For a moment I grew jealous, than I felt anger. Everyone has always told me ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâ¦Ã¢â¬Åwork hard and in the end you will get your rewardÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬ÃâÃ

[...]

best-guide-ever.jpg

ray, I completely agree with everything you've said. What I'm arguing is that although you are correct about everything considering the fullfillment one feels for himself, one should not only think about that when making life decisions.

So again, I have not refuted, have not even attempted to refute, a single one of your claims. I'm simply stating that when one makes decisions, the effect it has on ourselves should not be the only factor we consider.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

Interesting and correct in most places...

However, as it seems you've only experienced casual gaming; professional gaming can generate money that 'matters in 10 years time'.

I admit this doesn't apply to RS, but it allows me to communicate with friends and new ppl, and get abit of glory along the way.

img.cfm?img=41871

Yeah...Some people just go out of their way to ruin other peoples fun.
Sounds like Jagex to me...

harsh truth, the young tried to waste time and the old tried to savor it. I guess it really come down to you don't know what you have until you lost it. Yea after reading your article I feel like crap now...Just being honest, I am not dissing anyone or anybody here, maybe I should be taking game time and then go find out my major for school, and eventually affect my future. I guess gaming time have to wait, thanks you so much for bringing this topic up. Much appreciation.

ÃÆââ¬Å¡ÃâéTran

ductran1989.png