Tip.it Times Presents: The absence (or surplus?) of Time.

MPM

This was an excellent article, and i agree completely with the writer. When i was a kid, electronic games didn't exist and computers were only used by buisnesses. when was the last time someone played travel monoply? what about trouble? and, of course, that wonderful game, "that's not a real word you cheating donkey-head!", scrabble. I mean, come on! when i was 15, i had a gameboy for long trips. 2+ hours, and that was only allowed after my brother had gotten tired of always being beaten in long battles of thumbwar. One closing thought: When you are 80, won't you want to be able to tell your granchilren about something other then the time you killed a kalphite queen? or the time you saw zezima? or the time you killed a dagganoth king with only 1 hp remaining? or that priceless moment when you could finally mine a rune ore? I think i would rather be able to talk about how we soaked my dad with water baloons while he was in his buisness suit. or the time the dog ate all the cake and then left a present on aunt almira's shoes. Sorry if i am rambling, but it really annoys me to see my son's friend sitting on a coach playing halo 3 15 hours a day while the sun shines outside.

Thank you for tolerating my article,

Doradoswim

P.S. What happened to road hockey????

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the best articles by the editor i've read. I'll trying doing that maybe i'll be happy more. :D

99 Hunter - November 1st, 2008

99 Cooking -July 22nd, 2009

99 Firemaking - July 29th, 2010

99 Fletching - December 30th, 2010

All in all a good article. People go through a large portion of thier live taking the time they have for granted. It usually takes a hard slap in the face from reality to make them realize this. For eample when a friend of mine died in a car wreck i started to notice little things i never noticed before, one of which was that time is completely out of your hands, but what you do with it is not.

wailord.png

If you choose your beliefs/lifestyle simply based on what your parents want, then you are a weak minded individual and are not even worthy of calling yourself a person.

Agreed with everything this relatively short article said. Why do people play Halo 3 so much they're eyes pop out? Why does a kids fame in some groups of kids come from "who has an Xbox 360"? Why? That's why outside exists. It's there for "killing time".

My favourite part though is the "did you know" part.

I did not know a banana goes slash from Little Miss Angry Battleaxe :oops: .

22031_s.gif

I didn't know you could slice a banana with a battleaxe. \'

Good Article, it does show how many people used to use games only to pass the time by, now everyone plays games, whether for fun or competitively, for any chance they get, and I'll count sports as games.

Though it would get quite philosophical discussing about why we wish time to go by, than want it to stop, and slow down. Let's just hope someone figures out a way to slow time, but not the physical world at the same time. ^_^

Those five extra minutes would be a nice long hour.

We are always ignoring time, trying to kill it, and are always "looking forward" to some event that will happen soon.

Yeh, im "looking forward" to the day i find a P hat on the ground. :lol:

Good article.. but at the end, where he says : What is the point of killing time now if your going to be trying to savor it later?

If you think about it.. all of life is like that.. Why bother sleeping in on saturdays, when you could get up at 8:00 instead of 10:00 and save 2 hours? because we want to. Theres one thing, and one thing only that i belive in, in life.

If you are meant to die, you will die, no matter what you try and do to stop it.

If you are not meant to die, you will not die.

So basically, who cares how you use your time? Use it any way you want to as long as you enjoy it, because in the long-shot, your going to die anyways.

Time, and time again, its the end of my post, so i have to say

That you for your time :XD:

(With the exceptions of a A-bomb or a gun of course :P :lol: )

TipitSiggy-1.jpg

Life seems so meaningless, wasteful, lacking of any purpose what so ever, we will all soon be dead, and nothing will ever come of living. Thats the biggest problem I have with time. But then I think, it doesn't have to be that way, I can give meaning to my life, it can mean something, I can spend my time doing something that means something. Even if I don't accomplish very much at least I've done SOMETHING! That's not why I play runescape. Thats why I do everything else that I do. I play runescape because a lot of the time there isn't anything else to do. And because a lot of the time I study while I'm playing it. And because you can't always be saving or improving the world, sometimes you have to take time out for yourself. And also, I pretty much raised myself, so games were always something I did to have fun. I wasn't allowed to have friends over when I was home alone.

Now I know I'm living for who I am.

whatcolor_isblue.jpg[r]

I guess it really depends on how you look at it.

In my opinion, to have a good life, you should enjoy it. If you enjoy your life and don't have many complaints, you had a great life. Sure, we all will have regrets in one way or another, but if you can look back and say, "That was a lot of fun, what a great ride" then I feel that your life has been fulfilled.

Real life should always be the highest priority, way above a game, but if you are sitting at home, why not do something that you enjoy? I think playing Runescape or whatever you enjoy would be better for me than sitting around watching television. There are only a few shows that I actually enjoy on the TV, and if I continued to watch other shows, which I do not enjoy, I feel I could better manage my time in things I enjoy more, like Runescape.

This is my logic:

I wake up, sure I want more time for sleep, don't we all, but you wouldn't be living your life to the fullest if you were sleeping anyways. So, you wake up and get all nice and you are off to your job or school, etc. Once you arrive, you should always be making the best out of the situation. Sure, school isn't always your favorite thing to do everyday, but your there, face the facts. There isn't much you can do about it. In the U.S. it is against the law to not going a certain amount of days. Since you are there, hang out with friends and just relax. Learn what you can but have fun with it. Always be having fun with the situation that has arisen. If you have a job, then always be doing something you enjoy. Most people will think that it is not reality to have a job that you enjoy and also be paid decent. Once again, that is not the case. If you want to be a lawyer, take those extra years of college and enjoy your job. Remember that money is just an object and money doesn't buy happiness. You "dream" job may not bring in the most cash, but if you are enjoying what you are doing and can still pay the bills and support your family comfortably, then that's all you need. Objects are just objects but happiness and love are emotions. I feel those are more important.

After your job/school, some may have some freedom. This is my time that I play Runescape and hang out with friends. It isn't to pass time, it is to have fun. After all, if you achieve absolute happiness, what is there to look back and and regret? Nothing. Live in the moment and always enjoy what you are doing. I feel you can't go wrong if that is how you live life.

If you can look back and say I had fun, then your life is fulfilled. Just live your life the fullest, live in the moment, and enjoy everything and you will have little to no regrets.

devotedconstructionkt0.jpg

... when was the last time someone played travel monoply? about 3 weeks ago what about trouble? I don't remember and, of course, that wonderful game, "that's not a real word you cheating donkey-head!", scrabble about 30 weeks ago. ... One closing thought: When you are 80, won't you want to be able to tell your granchilren about something other then the time you killed a kalphite queen? or the time you saw zezima? or the time you killed a dagganoth king with only 1 hp remaining? or that priceless moment when you could finally mine a rune ore? I think i would rather be able to talk about how we soaked my dad with water baloons while he was in his buisness suit. or the time the dog ate all the cake and then left a present on aunt almira's shoes. ... I agree completely

I am an Eagle Scout with 5 palms. A lot of my highlights in my life came from my Scouting carreer. Like talking to the ISS durning the 2001 National Jamboree. Or doing a modidifed Black Death at Philmont Scout Ranch (we did the first 5 of the Super Black Death and would have done the other two to complete it except for it would put us another 8 hours from where we were supposed to camp that night. For some reason we didn't want to hike an extra 8 hours.) Or watching newbie scouts make the same mistakes that I made so many campouts ago, laughing with them about it and then showing them how to say build a 1 match all natural fire or lash a flag pole or......

The article is so true... On another note school seems to put a major dent on how we manage time. You wish to kill time in school because most of the time is wasted (slowing down for some people) and by the time you leave you are tired and its going to be dark in an hour or two so why bother go out? Now if there wasent any school you would have naturally decided to go outside because you have the time and would never have heard from your friends about video games... But who knows things could have gotten even worse if there was no school. No idea what im on about at this point so im done.

Get me a whopper!

It was a good article. The editor is right about how people play video games whenever they have free time, not only at certain times. People now sit inside on nice days to play videogames.

Like me :ohnoes:

Forum Updates & Suggestions <------ Let your voice be heard!
Forum Games <------- Coolest place on Tip.It
Tip.It Forum Rules <------- Read them!

So true. That sounds just like me -.-. I wait and wait in school to get home to my precious computer, then I waste the day on it. When it comes time for bed, I beg my mom for more time for about five minutes, then slouch off to bed and lay quietly, wishing there was more TIME IN THE DAY. Don't get me wrong, I'm not really wasting my life, cause I actually get out and play with friends. But whenever there's small amounts of free time to kill, like 5 minutes to an hour, I spend it playing games. It's pathetic, really. I try to stop but I can't. It's gotten so bad that my parents have limited my time-per-day to around 2 hours. And the real reason I play RuneScape is to just hang with my friend's when I don't feel like leaving the house. I'm sure that applies to many of us here. El Editore is right. Our generation (and I'm not saying this applies to everyone) is 'The Video-Gaming Generation". We beg out in front of the TV, compute, etc. for as much time as we can, just to kill time. Not sure what my point is here, but... yeah.

And slicing bananas with a battleaxe is funny :XD:

Kaze_the_Ace.png

Kaze_the_Ace.png

Kaze_the_Ace.png

SLAYERGEEK

Good article.

I believe many people should look at the meaning behind the story as opposed to blindly bashing it as meaningless. As a senior, or over the hill, member, I can relate to what the author meant by this post. As a parent and grand parent I can relate to the younger generation as far as their appreciation of time. Those of us who wish for more time must remember we were brought up in different circumstances as opposed to our kids. We had no computers or game cubes to kill time with. We were forced to make friends with the neighbor kids and play sports or board games. That was our computer if you will.

I dare not peer to far into the future to see what the next generations will produce as far as entertainment. I am satisfied with my life and the way I was brought up. Kids today will no doubt be satisfied when they grow older.

Should we attempt to raise them as we were raised or just teach them morals, teach them honesty, teach them to forgive, teach them to be outstanding human beings?

Do your thing and remember to listen to the story's of your elders. You may just learn something from the moral's. We are kinda not too

dumb to live this long. :)

I don't really have anything constructive nor destructive to add to The Editor's view, I have to admit that I agree to many of the points brought up about how we treat time.

We have too much time, so we want it to pass by quickly. We don't have enough time, so the time we have, we want it to last longer. We look forward to a better time. We remember a better time we already had.

As humans, we've managed to invent methods and amazingly complex tools to measure time in as precise as possible increments, but at the end of the day, time is subjective and changes depending on the person's perceptions.

P.S.: In the "Did You Know...", the word banana was spelled with one too many n's.

celestrana.png

celestrana.png

Knowledge is Power; a Tip.it guide answers many commonly asked questions.

~Celestrana: Making of a Hero ~ (Visit my blog, today!)

I am an Eagle Scout with 5 palms. A lot of my highlights in my life came from my Scouting carreer. Like talking to the ISS durning the 2001 National Jamboree. Or doing a modidifed Black Death at Philmont Scout Ranch (we did the first 5 of the Super Black Death and would have done the other two to complete it except for it would put us another 8 hours from where we were supposed to camp that night. For some reason we didn't want to hike an extra 8 hours.) Or watching newbie scouts make the same mistakes that I made so many campouts ago, laughing with them about it and then showing them how to say build a 1 match all natural fire or lash a flag pole or......

I was in Boy Scouts, it sucked. In my opinion its just a right wing paramilitary organization. Fight the power! That's really living.

whatcolor_isblue.jpg[r]

There was a part in the article that said what will it matter spending months to gain a certain level in a game. Although I agree that spending all your time playing a game is useless, what will it matter if that day I decided to go outside? No one can really say how to live life or what is good or bad. It's up to the person to decide what to do, but what one should do is savor the moment of doing what one enjoys and not doing what the majority says because its the "in" thing of because its cool.

ok i just gotta say it i cant hold it in anymore....i noticed a grammer error!!!!!

near the end where it says:

People will spend entire summers playing an MMORPG so they can get to a certain level, but in ten years will that matter at all?

it should be playing ~a~ mmorpg not an... an is only used if the next word is starting letter: a,e,i,o,u otherwise its a... just thought id let you know... it appears as if its not the only one noticed... must have been in a rush i make spelling and grammer errors too so dont feel bad. other than that good guide

Phox

p.s. why on earth would you use a b axe to cut a bannana... and how was that discoverd... mis-click?

dj_phox.png

i'm not fully seeing eye to eye with the editor i guess. i do remember the days of NES. in fact i remember the days before atari. one thing kids did for fun on the weekends was hit the arcades with a pocketfull of quarters....ya know...to have fun and kill time? atari was a good timekiller, but nobody spent hours playing because in most games were the same thing over and over...just different lvls which meant the game sped up or a few new obstacles and they were neverending until it was just too fast for you. i do remember alot of kids spending hours playing NES games like zelda and mario bros. looking back on it now...i think most of the kids today have grown up with home video games all of their lives. the technology has changed drastically. kids 20-30 years ago would spend hours talking on the phone to kill time. turn back the time even further...50-60 years ago kids killed time by fishing. today they text message and instant message each other. games have gotten alot more interesting with plot-filled storylines, increased control, and amazing graphics. it's a billion dollar industry today.

i guess the point i'm trying to make is that the amount of time we kill hasn't changed drastically. it's how we spend it, because of what is available to us now. is it good or bad? who knows? is it less productive? maybe. if you told me 20 years ago that professional gamers would become this popular i'd have laughed.

killing time by playing video games isn't bad. it's only when it begins to interfere with your real world obligations. skipping out on your responsiblities and goals to play video games isn't healthy. it's standing still while time moves forward. but if i decide to spend a sunday all day playing runescape because i have nothing better to do...well...i am gonna do that and not worry about how i am killing time. killing time means finding something to do to preoccupy you from your boredom. we tend to find things that we enjoy doing. then we do them.

edit: i also find it curious that the editor of a popular FAN SITE TO A VIDEO GAME would begin taking this kind of stance. this isn't the first article that has been recently released that addresses this topic from this side of things.

rssig2.png

When my Dad was a teenager, he spent a lot of time outside. The house was a pretty boring place in his days. I was born in mid to late 1989 and used a computer by age 4-6(having trouble remembering that far back). I also remember having an Atari2600. Over time that evolved into N64 at like 9, a Gamecube at 13, and progressively better computer games. The house was a very exciting place for me.

If the technology of 10 years ago-today was enough to hook me on games, imagine what the technology of 10-25 years into the future could do to my kids :shock:. They will probably have at least some understanding of why I spent some time playing games. Or they'll just laugh at me and the old days of playing games "by hand" when they use their whole body or some virtual reality thingie(already started happening with Wii :-w.).

Lugia_Lvl138.png

4x Phat owner: Blue, Green, 2x Purple

3100+ GWD bosses soloed.

Solo GWD Drops:

5 Bandos Plates, 4 Bandos Boots, 3 Bandos Hilts, 2 Arma Helms, Arma Skirt, Arma Plate, 3 Arma Hilts, 4 Zammy Spears, Steam Staff, 15 Sara Swords, 6 Sara Hilts, 29 Shards.

"Now this rhyme is all dandy and fine until you decide you want to use that allocated time to sit down and just play games."

That word is missing.

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...

This is the truth!

This is my belief!

...at least for now.

"The Mystery of Life"

Vol. 841, Ch. 26