Are you living life to the fullest?

n64jive

I've been playing runescape since early 2002, so i've always known that it is a game that takes a while to level up. That is not my epiphany. What I have recently discovered is that the general runescape public knows that it can take a year to get level 99 in one skill, playing an average ammount a day, yet no one cares.

People are willing to spend years of their free time on this game(and why shouldn't they..it is their freetime) to gain acheivments and goals that in a few years arn't going to mean anything.

Kids drop out of highschool...don't study for exams in college...don't go out with friends..because they would rather stay up all night playing runescape. Isn't their something wrong with that? People throw away their lives over a video game that will give them no advantage in the real world.

Think of this: What if every hour you spent on runescape, you instead spent working a job making around $8 an hour. How much money could you have. And that's just if you spent working at a low wage job. What if you spent those hours studying for tests, gaining knowledge to maintain a 4.0 GPA average in highschool to get into a good college, and continue that excellence to get a degree, which leads to a six figure job? How much better lives could many people lead if it wasn't for runescape. People need to forget the demise of runescape, but instead think about the demise of many young kids lives.

Now, I know a lot of people do still excel in life, and put it first...please don't make posts pointing out how you still live a normal life...I understand that. This is just something to think about. Don't say its not really a problem...because I've talked to many who talk about their life, which seems less then desirable.

w4M8t.png

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some people just enjoy rs, im not saying its cool to play 8+ hours a day. Its more the addiction, personally i've seen and see every day people addicted to much worse. You can be just as addicted to work as you can rs. People need to take a step back in life and realize whats the best for them.

swordwarior.png

I just love it when people who type this assume you will do 'constructive' things. If I never played RuneScape, I would of played another video game.

Teenagers don't play RuneScape over studying for school. They play it over Halo 2 or CounterStrike, or any video game. You actually think people would work and study hard for school if they didn't play RuneScape? HA! We would be playing other stuff that doesn't 'contribute' to our lives.

Your reason of "What if every hour you spent on runescape, you instead spent working a job making around $8 an hour. How much money could you have." is pathetic and could be used in anthing other than RuneScape. Even to the book worm who studies 24/7, 'cept it would be like "What if you took those hours and made some friends." phrase.

This whole RS < RL thing is pissing me off, since RuneScape is as much 'apart' from real life than any other form of entertaiment. Exessive amount of hours playing Xbox, listening to music, watching movies...

And please, no one say how normal their lives are to "protect" themselves. No one gives a damn.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

The people you refer too isn't everyone. Plus RS is for enjoyment, Jobs aren't always entertaining (especially mine) so saying work all the time rather than no play is not a good philosophy in my opinion. to each his own I guess.

I've been seeing quite a number of these types of topics lately, stereotyping game players and saying they are wasting their time.

The joys in life generally aren't good for you, so you should just enjoy them anyways simply because life is too short to worry about such things.

If you spend your life trying to make everything perfect, you're going to have one sucky life.

The people you refer too isn't everyone. Plus RS is for enjoyment, Jobs aren't always entertaining (especially mine) so saying work all the time rather than no play is not a good philosophy in my opinion. to each his own I guess.

Mine is :thumbsup: . Especially when the male:female ratio is about... 1:10, and dwindling \' .

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

If you spend your life trying to make everything perfect, you're going to have one sucky life.

Mine is :thumbsup: . Especially when the male:female ratio is about... 1:10, and dwindling \' .

lol, it would be nice, I'll try to get a better job when I turn 18, more places will hire me :o

Think of this: What if every hour you spent on runescape, you instead spent working a job making around $8 an hour.

some people cannot legal work the hours they may play RS, i find that amusing?

because I've talked to many who talk about their life, which seems less then desirable.

but, because they played RS its undesireable? i know fully capable adults whom i went to school with who throw their lives away for things less entertaining and rewarding then this game.

namely, bad boyfriends/girlfriends mostly boyfriends tho since as a guy you can kind of split on the kid.

so many people whos lives seem terrible without or without games like this.

im not saying i disagree with what you say its just all these circumstances alway suck.

I maintain a job, Runescape, school, sports, and a social life very well. I feel all that is needed to do this is moderation. Spending too much time on any one thing will deplete your belonging in the others. Moderation is key with anything in life.

91215531.png

Poetry

Indexed Picture 1

Indexed Picture 2

Killed my maxed Zerker pure April 2010

Rebooting Runescape

91215531.png

I just love it when people who type this assume you will do 'constructive' things. If I never played RuneScape, I would of played another video game.

Teenagers don't play RuneScape over studying for school. They play it over Halo 2 or CounterStrike, or any video game. You actually think people would work and study hard for school if they didn't play RuneScape? HA! We would be playing other stuff that doesn't 'contribute' to our lives.

Your reason of "What if every hour you spent on runescape, you instead spent working a job making around $8 an hour. How much money could you have." is pathetic and could be used in anthing other than RuneScape. Even to the book worm who studies 24/7, 'cept it would be like "What if you took those hours and made some friends." phrase.

This whole RS < RL thing is pissing me off, since RuneScape is as much 'apart' from real life than any other form of entertaiment. Exessive amount of hours playing Xbox, listening to music, watching movies...

And please, no one say how normal their lives are to "protect" themselves. No one gives a damn.

FTW. Just completely and utterly FTW. =D>

When I was flunking out of school, my parents got the Internet disconnected. So I reloaded an old game of Carmen Sandiego. They banned me from the computer except for homework. I watched TV. They banned me from the TV. I'd lay on my bed and play GameBoy.

You cannot make someone do something they don't want to do. If you remove the choice, they'll find a third option.

Ananke32.png

if you spent those hours studying for tests, gaining knowledge to maintain a 4.0 GPA average in highschool to get into a good college, and continue that excellence to get a degree

I don't ever study for exams, and I have been aceing it so far, I could also study while playing rs (too much afking activity in game) and also via browsing wikipedia.

I would want to enjoy my teenage life and save "working" to my adult life sorry, I won't have enough time to play as much as now by then.

Strangely with WotLK so near, I wished I could delay it a bit to push through that last TBC content in MH/BT :'(.

Your arguement is flawed.

I'd rather be playing a game then working. Infact. I'd rather be sitting with the woman I love in a field in some random spot in the world with no burden for working for money or anything else, then living my life around money.

EDIT: Ill elaborate just a bit. The world is consumed around achiveing well through wealth and success. I don't see the world as that way. The biggest success is if you are happy with what you are doing. If a kid enjoys playing runescape then there's nothing wrong with it, and it's enjoyable.

I'd encourage people to live how they want instead of thinking about what society wants them to think, to a degree.

I wouldn't of course support them breaking the law through criminal acts, which is one of the things that keeps us alive.

Yeah.. ive gone off track a bit.

Jaskkes.png

you took the words right out of my mouth

now playing on l0wer cla55 =D (yes i like that name too)

FTW. Just completely and utterly FTW. =D>

When I was flunking out of school, my parents got the Internet disconnected. So I reloaded an old game of Carmen Sandiego. They banned me from the computer except for homework. I watched TV. They banned me from the TV. I'd lay on my bed and play GameBoy.

You cannot make someone do something they don't want to do. If you remove the choice, they'll find a third option.

=D> Brilliant, both of you. It's the same for me. If my parents disconnect the net, it won't make me study or do what they want me too. I'll find some other thing to do.

I don't ever study for exams, and I have been aceing it so far, I could also study while playing rs (too much afking activity in game) and also via browsing wikipedia.

I haven't studied for a test in my life, and I am almost a straight A student (freakin sewing class FTW, give me a D #-o :wall: )

38% of Tip.Iters put stupid made up statistics in their sigs. If you are one of the 62% that don't, put this in your sig.

ou should not play RS like 10 hours a day. Also work always come first, if you need to study for an exam like i will have to in january then you must do that over playing rs.

Just face taht you may not have time to get on everyday because you have maths equations to do or an essay to write.

But you are entitled to have some time to do fun activites such as playing runescape. Life is not all boring, is it?

Just remember,do not negelect your studies to play rs.

Alex_Ewan 1.png

Goals achieved: lvl 99 Cooking, Fishing and Fletching.

Surrey CC and Liverpool FC fan for life!

Hey, look at me! I've got good stats, and so the only way to get these good stats is to play all day, right? :roll:

I do a lot of things besides runescape. In real life I've got 99 cooking and I'm working out at the gym to get 99 strength. Living life to it's fullest is part of my philosophy.

Of course, when i don't get good results, the first thing my parents like to remove is the internet. But there's obviously no correlation between grades and time spent playing runescape because I succeeded my semester exams with flying colors while training for 99 con. Then, I scored high on 2 SAT subject tests while going for 99 runecrafting. In fact, I tend to do better on tests when I'm on one of my crazy goals :lol:.

I never will sacrifice my real life, just because that's not needed.

76th to reach 99 Construction on 6th of February 2007

379th to reach 99 Runecrafting on 4th of November 2007

BlueSig6.jpg

Finally the secrets of goal achieving are revealed! (give my guide a read :^_^: )

pfft to studying.

I play runescape when there is nothing else to do. This seems to happen a lot. School nights, weekeneds where i somehow managed not to have plans.

Education from school doesn't mean anything to me. I'm just about to finish grade 12 and not in the last 5 yrs have i needed or wanted 90% of the things that were taught to me.

My philosophy on life is to have as much fun as you can. Life isn't about getting a job being smart, i think it's about having fun. Therefore, if u find runescape more fun then friends or studying why not play it?

I don't think its fair to say "It's just a game" why does playing a game on the internet (usually with friends to talk to at the very least if not slay god's with them) worse then going to a friends how for talking.

Its preferably not my preferred way to spend time but it wastes the time away that needs to be wasted. Mental health is the most important thing. Mental health comes from being happy. Runescape can make you happy in this way, hence, being healthly.

Just remember this tho.. ANYTHING! done in excess is bad for you.

Well, I can not say I play 8 hours a day, except maybe on the weekends. But I really enjoy this game, and to be honest, I am not much of a social person. I kind of hate talking around people. Because I really do not follow sports, or play any other games except this. And I keep good grades in school. Frankly, I don't care what people think of me. The way I want to live. And yeah, I do enjoy school. ::'

turnpikes.png

It seems like the majority here is agreed, that playing too much RS is a bad thing..

Which is funny, because the same community thinks a certain guy with over 1 billion exp shouldn't be bashed for the same reason :P

Just for some simple math here.

1.000.000.000 exp is 16.666.666 minutes if you get 1 exp per second.

Thats 11.574 hours played if you get 1 exp per second.

Thats 482.25 online days.

If you get 1 exp per second , EVERY second for 482.25 days in a row.

Since the launch of RS (the person with over 1 bil exp hasn't played since RS started) there has been roughly 2555 days.

So roughly 20% of the persons life has been RS played the last 6 years, except he hasn't even played RS for 6 years, so its a larger %.

just some fun facts :P

Flawed argument. If I had worked all those hours I played RS on top of my normal job, I'd be in the hospital with a burn-out right now.

Balance is the key. Balance between work, love, play. If you achieve that, you're a lucky (wo)man. Sometimes you need to have excesses, to remind you to look for that balance. Look at N0valyfe. He went for excess, then rethought his life. Katharsis, the Greeks call it.

I couldn't agree more. About the money factor, I remember a topic being posted about how you could make up enough money for a car if you were playing long enough. I was additiced to this game last year, and i defintely do not want to go through that again. Now I am free of Runescape, and I have a lot more free time to hang out with friends in real life instead of getting my pixel skills higher. Also now I feel like I have a lot more time to focus on school work too, and I have almost perfect grades. :)

Oh yea I have a job too <3:

Tbfgraphx14

Happy to find I'm not the only one who eats glass.

Well, I know I lead a non-achieveing life and not really expecting anything else out of my life, but I play computer games anyway because it makes me happy. I would probably get bored or fustrated if I was trying to do anything better than just playing computer games. I do have a minimum wage job to, but I hardly spend any of it and have plenty of cash to go around.

No longer playing Runescape, I caught the WoW bug.

I personally only play when I am bored...I play school basketball and football, if i'm going out w/ friends I would never choose runescape over friends or sports or school. But I do agree people play this game to seriously and it really doesnt matter, its a game that could be shut down in a week for all you know. Chances are it's not going to happen but it is just a game.

-CinnamonRain

Flawed argument. If I had worked all those hours I played RS on top of my normal job, I'd be in the hospital with a burn-out right now.

Balance is the key. Balance between work, love, play. If you achieve that, you're a lucky (wo)man. Sometimes you need to have excesses, to remind you to look for that balance. Look at N0valyfe. He went for excess, then rethought his life. Katharsis, the Greeks call it.

Exactly, I would argue even that balance is the key to a perfect life. Those 3 things are necessary to have a perfect life, however in excess it's no good because too much work is no fun too much fun is too lazy (although too much love is, well, impossible).

76th to reach 99 Construction on 6th of February 2007

379th to reach 99 Runecrafting on 4th of November 2007

BlueSig6.jpg

Finally the secrets of goal achieving are revealed! (give my guide a read :^_^: )