Are you living life to the fullest?

n64jive

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you spend your life trying to make everything perfect, you're going to have one sucky life.

The people you refer too isn't everyone. Plus RS is for enjoyment, Jobs aren't always entertaining (especially mine) so saying work all the time rather than no play is not a good philosophy in my opinion. to each his own I guess.

Mine is :thumbsup: . Especially when the male:female ratio is about... 1:10, and dwindling \' .

He isn't happy with 1 anymore, he wants 10... :shock: Give me one please?

Well, really, it's just about balance. Anything that creates your joy will be bad for you in big quantities, but spending life away from all the joys would be bad for you too. Just find the balance between the two; granted, some people are addicted to RS, but since you can't change them (or maybe you can change them!), all you can do is find your own balance.

@ Nick, you don't need to be so harsh. Just explain your opinion without all the disrespect. Acting like that will only make people not respect you :S

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Camera guy: Whoa, haha, are you okay dude?

Matt: You want anything funny that happens, don't you?

Camera guy: still laughing

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Camera guy: runs away still laughing

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

Camera guy: Hoooholy [bleep]!

Matt: FUNNY ISN'T REAL! FUNNY ISN'T REAL!

There is time for work, as there is time for play. Going from one extreme to another won't change anything.

"300 programmers make their futile but glorious last stand against 1000000 angry players in The battle of Misthalin. They fight for honor, glory and new content sacrificing themselves so that their game may live on. This is Madness! This Is JAGEEEX!"

It seems like the majority here is agreed, that playing too much RS is a bad thing..

Which is funny, because the same community thinks a certain guy with over 1 billion exp shouldn't be bashed for the same reason :P

Just for some simple math here.

1.000.000.000 exp is 16.666.666 minutes if you get 1 exp per second.

Thats 11.574 hours played if you get 1 exp per second.

Thats 482.25 online days.

If you get 1 exp per second , EVERY second for 482.25 days in a row.

Since the launch of RS (the person with over 1 bil exp hasn't played since RS started) there has been roughly 2555 days.

So roughly 20% of the persons life has been RS played the last 6 years, except he hasn't even played RS for 6 years, so its a larger %.

just some fun facts :P

But one XP/second is 3600 XP/hour....

mrE.png

"We will certainly not be gaining money or members with this update. Instead, we are doing this for the good of the game, which is as dear to our hearts as it is to you."

- JAGEX, December 13, 2007

I've made my own Rota thingy.

5am-8:30am= work

8:30am-9am=shower

9am-1pm=play RS

1pm-8pm=do whatever i like (normally do dog walks)

8pm-5am=sleep ::'

It actually works too ::'

3 and a half hour shift? What on earth do you do?

Excellent topic N64Jive.

First of all, I want to say this. I played RuneScape from feb 2002 - feb 2007. I retired because of school. Not because it went bad, I had the great habit to always do just enough to get trough, but I realised it had no use playing RuneScape.

My situation was simple, until 2004 I played RS-classic and I really enjoyed it. In classic there was a lot of flaming, competition autoers etc but it was fun. If I came from school and wanted to have really fun for an hour, I PK-ed and really enjoyed it.

When classic F2P got shut down, I started playing RS2. Why? I don't know. Maybe because RS is quite cheap, a regular PS2 game costs about 60ÃÆââââ¬Ã¡Ãâì, and RS is about 5 euro's a month? So for teenagers that's cheap eh. Also, RS is with other players, it's hard to get bored. But in summer '05 I retired from the game, had fun did a lot of stuff, but school started again and I suddenly started playing again. Clans were the reason. In my opinion RS is so addictive because it's a MMPORG, but also because of the clans. I really enjoyed being in TF/THE, and if I look back on it now I'm glad I was so dissapointed in the staff I forced myself to leave. After that, RS was no fun anymore so I retired.

This situation just to show how hard it is to retire from RS. I had to experience a dissapointment in THE before I left, otherwise I'd still be there having "fun".

Yes, RS is time consuming but I know how many people think. What should I do if I won't play RS? Probably not much is the reaction then.

RS is dangerous because it gives you an alternative for the "cruel outside world". Example; if you are quite nerd-ish you could be respected in RS because of your high skills. The danger of RS is that you feel better inside of the game then in the outside world. It's easy to keep playing, but really that shouldn't happen!

It's a topic where we could discuss about for ages, but it's the players themselves who have do decide if their current "RS-situation" is healthy.

I'd like to add a little thing too. The best proof that some people take RS waaaay too serious is the whole PK-ing [cabbage]. If you're in DI you cannot pray on that and that place, in that and that situation etc. what a [cabbage] if you ask me. Ok, that you're mad because you're RC pked, or clue-PK"d etc is human, but it's the [bleep]ing wilderness after all. What you expect? A PK-er who says: " OH you're clue hunter, go right trough with your possible robin hood hat loot ". All those whiners about honour and no honour. Ok, war-crashing is sad, but what's bad about luring? If you know enough about wild you don't get yourself lured eh. Same with RC-pking, clue pking etc etc etc. I absolutely don't wanna start a discussion about no honour and honour, but the fun in this game is gone if you ask me. Killing in wilderness is bounded to silly unwritten rules, skilling shouldn't happen in a certain way (wow that guy doesn't deserve 99 herblore because he bought it! - who gives a [bleep]? He reached it period.) etc.

signature4s.jpg

After reading the OP the first thing that jumped out at me was that money is not everything and different people get enjoyment from different things. Instead of playing Runescape people could be getting drunk etc.

sigraniiixx.gifEye-X.gif

blg.giff2p.giftfsn.gif

[spoiler=Stats:]Updated December 22, 2011:

Total level - 1442 - 170M+ XP , Combat level - 115

Combat skills: Attack - 90, Defence - 99 (24.45m+ XP), Strength - 90, Constitution - 99 (16.42M+ XP) Ranged - 99 (13.32M+ XP), Prayer - 60, Magic - 99 (13.25M+ XP)

Non-Combat skills: Cooking - 99 (13.80M+ XP), Woodcutting - 99 (31.95M+ XP), Fishing - 90, Firemaking - 99 (24.82M+), Crafting - 90, Smithing - 90, Mining - 85, Runecrafting - 60, Dungeoneering - 85

I think that most of the people who are "addicted" to RS, eventually get bored or realize that there are things other than RS. Thats how it was for me, first 2 years of hardcore playing, then slowly dropping to 30 mins to 1 hour every second day.

headshot007.jpeg

~Guide to Solo'ing the KBD~

99 Cooking | 99 Firemaking | 99 Attack | 99 defense | 99 Hitpoints

I think that most of the people who are "addicted" to RS, eventually get bored or realize that there are things other than RS. Thats how it was for me, first 2 years of hardcore playing, then slowly dropping to 30 mins to 1 hour every second day.

Yep. I don't know 5 people who were addicted to RS and could quit in 1 day. I also laugh with people who say suddenly " I got PK-ed for full guthans & whip, I quit! " because they ALWAYS come back within the week/month.

signature4s.jpg

Working for an internet service provider doing phone support. I play rs at least 5 hours a night AND get paid to play runescape?

Could I quit? Probably not fully, Because I would still post etc. but since playing since july 2001 , I am not dying to grab the level ( I sat 3k from 98 hp for 2 days. lol ) And also what would I do at work? :lol:

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

Yes, this is for sure something to think of. Some people, but far, far away from all, who plays RS, doesn't do their homework and studies because of they want to play the game instead. And that's sad.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

Here's a parallel(hypothetical) situation, at 15 Jimmy decided hes a badass, school is just meaningless man, its a place to breed conformity and to squash freedom. Jimmy decided school isn't for him he drops outs, but soon realises he needs some money to eat, he robs a store (if in America he robs a store and shoots someone dead just cause thats the way you folks roll)now he has money but no house, he meets a fellow homeless person (at this point hes truly homeless now) and takes a hit of PCP, he gets stoned out of his mind and all is well. Later that year Jimmy is dead after having frozen to death in a freak storm(in NO WAY related to Jimmy taking PCP thats not my point). If only Jimmy had played Runescape instead...........

The point of that: People will ALWAYS find excuses for under-achieving, it was Runescapes fault/it was cracks fault/it was my parents fault/it was my girlfriends fault etc...etc... the fact is I've heard all these excuses and my only answer is 'you chose to live the way you do, if you are unhappy with something its down to you to do something about it.'

Some people just see no merit in doing certain things, I don't prescribe to the theory that this makes them : losers/wasters/idiots. Some people would rather punch themselves than go to a club and gurn away for 12 hours, some people do it every weekend. Noone is wasting their time, theres no such thing.

I am not a runescape addict, i get bored the second i go on.

But i DO spend 4-5 hours on tipit :oops:

Not posting, and really.. not reading anything. I am just browsing through, and the 4 hours seem to go by quick #-o

So, runescape is not the only thing that is keeping people hooked, its the community also..

If there were not people that wasted 10+ hours of their life on a game that will be meaningless then who would be the cashier in your local store. Of course smart people can end up here, bt majority of them are t3h dum0rz :-s

mathisfun.png

If you compared how much time you spent writing this topic and how much you pobably write on an essay and take the time too, it would be a landslide, and you know what I mean. The majority who have posted have stated about balance, and how it is vital. This is entirely true, but balance sometimes isn't all as it seems to be. When I have that BIG test I study another hour, and subtract that fomr time ingame and on forums. So for you to assume that we don't have jobs, ahve a low-quality social life, and that we spend endless hours ingame is a dumb and moronic stereotype. Now to make things worse for you, people are putting grudges against you and all, tbh don't make another topic like this. I spend about 1-2 hours a day ingame+browsing or posting on forums. TO me that is after all my work, and no sorry I don't ahve a job that pays me $8 an hour, I get payed $17. Now your comparisons are pretty lame, for some of us who can achieve the same thing we can in-game we can do in real life, not literally though. Obtaining that 80 average and getting that 80 in fletching or w/e, is equal in our time and balance we put in both games. So tbh, no one should judge others by how much time they play in game. My friend has 11 courses yearly, and plays atleast 2hours+ a day. She studies and has a part-time job. Correct me if I'm wrong, but she's living a good life. Now before you assume something else, put some look and judgement towards YOURSELF, it'll do you some good.

~Kind regards, Poet :boohoo:

Thanks for the rates guys <3:

And no, my sperm only goes to my gf....so'z.

Haven't you people got anything better to talk about other than each others addictions :XD:

Lol you made me laugh. ..Thankyou! I havnt laughed in months due to staring at a computer screen playing runescape!

Meh I play runescape to relax its as simple as that. I state that because I am trying to make you understand why you are wrong imo. If it wasnt for this game I would simply playing a different game. Infact I bought a new pc that can handle any new game for years to come.. yet I still play runescape because its relaxing for me. Everyone needs to relax right? Like 10+ hours a day sounds good to me. :-w

I want to point it out anyway... I go to college, work and been in a relationship for 6.5 years. Yes I already know staying up for 10+ hours playing a game is maybe socially unacceptable. (While taking drugs is fine.) I do what I enjoy.. and I have played games far longer than 50+ hours straight in the past. *Along side friends doing exactly the same hours* It was more fun than any rollercoaster or 'mating' in my life trust me. It doesnt mean I skip work to do that though! Kids that skip school are the same kids who skip school to hang out on the streets. I rather they played runescape personally.

I dont like these topics because your so completely wrong imo. Your title 'Are you living life to the fullest?' Yeh hell I am for what I enjoy to do. My girlfriend is jealous that I have such a hobby while she doesnt have anything to relate to besides shopping and drinking. Even she' couldnt shop for like 50+ hours and not get bored. :XD:

I think I am fortunate to have such a hobby that consumes so much of my time. (I dont just mean runescape or even gaming.) Obviously other aspects of my life are more important and I prioritize correctly.

I think life is made to be enjoyed. And to enjoy to its' fullest, you can't just do video games. If you sit down for days playing games your eyes just get sore, and the body gets unhealthy. If you also have fun excercising, studying, having fun with friends and playing video games, then it becomes a lot funner than if you just do video games. It's fine if someone decides all he wants to do is video games, but he won't get the maximum fun out of life, and that pretty much defeats the purpose.

2480+ total

Hmm. I do not think that I would like to spend my free time working.

That isn't what free time is for.

If I happen to have 8 hours of free time in a day, then I might play rs for 8 hours.

You have to put other things first, but that was a terrible arguement, and unless you play rs instead of doing what needs to be done, then like pretty much everyone has said, balance is the key.

its either me or everyone is just talking about what they do to not make themselves look like they play 24/7, nobody really cares about what you do or who is and isn't addicted to runescape. If people cared about more important things in life maybe this community would be a better place

i await your flames

enjin-197880-13470529531124777514-gray.png

Ex-Wilderness Guardian

Ex-Solace

Retired from F2P clans indefinitely

its either me or everyone is just talking about what they do to not make themselves look like they play 24/7, nobody really cares about what you do or who is and isn't addicted to runescape. If people cared about more important things in life maybe this community would be a better place

i await your flames

People actually do care about that. It's not about the community, has nothing to do with it. It's about how you spend your life. There's healthy and unhealthy ways of doing (extreme work, extreme RS) it.

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Camera guy: Whoa, haha, are you okay dude?

Matt: You want anything funny that happens, don't you?

Camera guy: still laughing

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Camera guy: runs away still laughing

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

Camera guy: Hoooholy [bleep]!

Matt: FUNNY ISN'T REAL! FUNNY ISN'T REAL!

I just love it when people who type this assume you will do 'constructive' things. If I never played RuneScape, I would of played another video game.

Teenagers don't play RuneScape over studying for school. They play it over Halo 2 or CounterStrike, or any video game. You actually think people would work and study hard for school if they didn't play RuneScape? HA! We would be playing other stuff that doesn't 'contribute' to our lives.

Your reason of "What if every hour you spent on runescape, you instead spent working a job making around $8 an hour. How much money could you have." is pathetic and could be used in anthing other than RuneScape. Even to the book worm who studies 24/7, 'cept it would be like "What if you took those hours and made some friends." phrase.

This whole RS < RL thing is pissing me off, since RuneScape is as much 'apart' from real life than any other form of entertaiment. Exessive amount of hours playing Xbox, listening to music, watching movies...

And please, no one say how normal their lives are to "protect" themselves. No one gives a damn.

I totally agree with you.

I once tried not to play games for a week and study instead, but did I study? No, I watched TV and read some comics.

RaGetheGreat.png

Retired from RuneScape for as long as possible.

And as long as Runescape's a fun and (mentally) relaxing activity to you, it's all good.

However, if you find yourself staying up late because you just HAVE TO get a certain level, it might be time to take a step back.

Most people play Runescape, or other games, as an escape from reality, and to prevent them from going insane. So what if there's no RS. They'll find another escape ::'