New pope.

Turbobart

Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger of Germany was elected the 265th pontiff today by the College of Cardinals. He was announced as tens of thousands of people cheered in St. Peter's Square. Ratzinger has chosen the name Benedict XVI, the Vatican announced. The announcement came shortly after white smoke rose from the Vatican chimney and bells rang to announce that a new pope had been selected.

Source: cnn.com

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow, people said that it would take weeks before they elected the new pope. that was kind of fast.

Germans are known for their discipline and speedy warfare.

signaturebq4.jpg

Member of #darkwebz.

This guy knows better than most people what effect hatred can have on people. I think he'll do great.

hehe, that was a funny way of putting it, care to elaborate?

taht he wont use hatred? that he will work against hatred in the world?

cause it sounds like he'll use hatred to make people bow to his will :)

korla3eaqd3.jpg

From http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4462077.stm

The future pope's studies at seminary were interrupted by World War II and his supporters say that his experiences under the Nazi regime convinced him that the church had to stand up for truth and freedom.

Maybe that's what he was talking about? :? And cj, you were saying he was a nazi? I'm confused.

sig2ho7.jpg

A pope who is very strongly just about anti everything and has nazi history. Another great choice for humanity.

Ignorant fool.

The Vatican was under pressure to pick one within this week (I forget why), this guy was many a person's pick.

A pope who is very strongly just about anti everything and has nazi history. Another great choice for humanity.

Ignorant fool.

The Vatican was under pressure to pick one within this week (I forget why), this guy was many a person's pick.

http://www.newint.org/issue327/worldbeaters.htm

Well there we go that just about shows up everything I said.

Ignorant fool.

http://www.newint.org/issue327/worldbeaters.htm

Well there we go that just about shows up everything I said.

Well he has a Nazi history. I never would have expected that, as a 78 year old German.

You see my boy, during the war there was this thing called the national call up. There was also this bloke called Hitler, whom we all know. Now we didn't want to make Hitler angry by not supporting his war now, do we? Suprise suprise, numerous cases show Germans killed by their own men by not willing to fight in the war, similar to how us Britains received a white feather and also potential death for not fighting in the First World War. Difficult choice, hey?

Pope John Paul II, God bless his soul, was also pretty anti in many things as well. I think he turned out pretty good, don't you?

This guy knows better than most people what effect hatred can have on people. I think he'll do great.

hehe, that was a funny way of putting it, care to elaborate?

taht he wont use hatred? that he will work against hatred in the world?

cause it sounds like he'll use hatred to make people bow to his will :)

I thought it was obvious enough that I mean that in a "And-he'll-work-against-it" way :P

Ignorant fool.

If many a person's pick includes their agreement with:

...his papacy is sure to continue John Paul II's strongly traditional interpretation of the Catholic faith, including opposition to abortion, homosexuality, priestly marriage and women priests.

Then I'm happy I'm just as much of an ignorant fool as Cj, thank you very much. This pope will be another rightwinged conservative, driving people away from the ideals of Christianity just because of his stupid (excus̮̩̉̉ le mot) opinions on abortion, homosexuality and the role of women in today's society. In order to keep up with today's world, they should have picked a more progressive pope, not one that would continue to preach against contraception (which is nearly equal to pro-AIDS, in african countries).

If many a person's pick includes their agreement with:

...his papacy is sure to continue John Paul II's strongly traditional interpretation of the Catholic faith, including opposition to abortion, homosexuality, priestly marriage and women priests.

Then I'm happy I'm just as much of an ignorant fool as Cj, thank you very much. This pope will be another rightwinged conservative, driving people away from the ideals of Christianity just because of his stupid (excus̮̩̉̉ le mot) opinions on abortion, homosexuality and the role of women in today's society. In order to keep up with today's world, they should have picked a more progressive pope, not one that would continue to preach against contraception (which is nearly equal to pro-AIDS, in african countries).

I wasn't saying he was your pick, nor mine. Just many people within the sector of the church. I accept I should have made that clearer.

Ok maybe I shot myself in the foot with the nazi comment. I was told the information and only researched it after. But I still stand that there should not be a leader who some consider anti-jew and anti-islam. I am fine with anyone who wants to embrace their religion but they should not tell non believes what to do or push their religion on others like every day when I go down the streets I see.

Ok maybe I shot myself in the foot with the nazi comment. I was told the information and only researched it after. But I still stand that there should not be a leader who some consider anti-jew and anti-islam. I am fine with anyone who wants to embrace their religion but they should not tell non believes what to do or push their religion on others like every day when I go down the streets I see.

Yeah man I can totally respect that comment, it makes a lot of sense and in most aspects I feel the same way. I don't think this Pope will do those things though, or rather I hope. I guess time will tell.

Yeah man I can totally respect that comment, it makes a lot of sense and in most aspects I feel the same way. I don't think this Pope will do those things though, or rather I hope. I guess time will tell.

Yeah I don't think he is allowed to do that seeing as his position :P Sorry First comment was abit stupid this is what I really mean.

How did he choose his name? Do they get a list to choose from or something?

I think they all need biblical names. I'm no expert on Catholocism though.

thirdeyesig0tl.jpg

Dreaming of that face again

It's bright, and blue, and shimmering

Grinning wide

And comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

How did he choose his name? Do they get a list to choose from or something?

I think they all need biblical names. I'm no expert on Catholocism though.

Could they call themselves jesus then? :shock:

Yeah I don't think he is allowed to do that seeing as his position :P Sorry First comment was abit stupid this is what I really mean.

Ha no worries mate :P I'm sorry I could you ignorant because you didn't elaborate, it's clear you're not.

Ha no worries mate :P I'm sorry I could you ignorant because you didn't elaborate, it's clear you're not.

Awwww hug? *me brings out a packet of sour skittles* Ok we should stop now :P

I still feel uncomfortable with it.

The fact that everyone in Germany was becoming a Hitler Youth at that point, in order to not annoy Hitler, isn't an argument I feel comfortable with. That's like saying it's alright to become a Nazi and kill people, because otherwise you're in danger of annoying Hitler as well.

Maybe I'm just overly sensitive because I'm Jewish, but I don't feel comfortable with a pope who was once a Hitler Youth. I know people change and all... but I don't like what it stands for, that it suggests to people it's OK. Meh :x

Also, more conservatism isn't my thing. I think in the modern age, a more progressive Pope may have been a better choice, able to reconcile modern-day problems with the traditional faith.

Everybody hug and spread the love :D

siggypooro0.jpg

I still feel uncomfortable with it.

The fact that everyone in Germany was becoming a Hitler Youth at that point, in order to not annoy Hitler, isn't an argument I feel comfortable with. That's like saying it's alright to become a Nazi and kill people, because otherwise you're in danger of annoying Hitler as well.

Maybe I'm just overly sensitive because I'm Jewish, but I don't feel comfortable with a pope who was once a Hitler Youth. I know people change and all... but I don't like what it stands for, that it suggests to people it's OK. Meh :x

I'm sure I speak for everyone that you're right to be sceptical for that reason.

The Hitler Youth basically was Hitler's "grooming" so to speak of young children of the Ayran race (Blonde hair blue eyes). But only being kids at the time, I'm not sure how aware the children like Ratzinger were about the whole regime Hitler was about to inflect on them and the world. Maybe after being enlightened to it, he decided he wanted nothing to do with it, but again I'm not sure. He was just a kid, blissfully naive perhaps of Hitler's final solution.