open source runescape... ideas

opensourcerunescape

Wikipedia has taught us one thing... group dynamics is the way of the future, and with enough will in a community, anything is possible. I see the most effective solution to this problem is to open source runescape. Anyone who has used or knows about Linux, or Wikipedia, or SecondLife knows the effects of open source.

What I'm thinking is not necessarily open sourcing the java code of runescape, but the actual content and story of runescape, how people interact, and how to deal with problems (such as RWT). If jagex worked with its customers, and embraced there ideas and included them in the decision making then I believe that we would be able to find a solution to this problem.

Has anyone here read WikiNomics the book? It brings to the front the point that if a company embraces a solution that is brought upon by its clients, that the clients (for runescape, users) will feel a since of ownership.

Many of us have played runescacpe since 2001, and for many we feel like we "own" much of the game. We have put enough hours into it, why should they feel like they can take that away from us? Sure it is there 'right' to do so, but why not embrace us instead of punishing us for the problems it can not seem to fix without us???

I say we start a petition to get the decision making open sourced, so we all have a say, from Noob to lvl126.. all of us.

Thoughts?

*EDIT*

everyones reading the first line and thinking that im suggesting we all make our own game, or try and buy the code... read the whole thing... im just suggesting that they ask for our help, instead of treating us like were the enemy

Lets make a new opensource runescape...

Many of us have played runescacpe since 2001, and for many we feel like we "own" much of the game.

Well, you don't.

Make your own game.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

Property of Jagex.

See thats the problem... they of course own the game. And we respect that, but It seems to me that instead of shunning its many players who love the game for what it is, why not ask for help?

i'm sure as many people that there are playing runescape, probably one or two, or thirty of them are amazing programers. Why not throw it out there and ask for help, it seems like a waste of resources to just change the game to the point that no one wants to play it..

what im suggesting is that they ask the world how they should deal with the RWT problem, ask everyone, take thousands of ideas and boil them down to hundreds, and then ask everyone about those ideas...

there is a solution out there.. and were here to help jagex, they just dont see it, they need to stop treating there clients like criminals, and start treating us with respect

How is giving away a billion dollar product they have spent a decade developing going to help Jagex?

Good gravy.

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

Many of us have played runescacpe since 2001, and for many we feel like we "own" much of the game.

Well, you don't.

Make your own game.

Btw if you want proof on that

Taken from terms and conditions:

You agree that your Game character, account and items are and will remain our property.

So there

sgsagssighe6.jpg

the trick is to balance all of these methods to get 99 and either play real life or train another skill while farming.

635th to 99 Farming 12/16/07

How is giving away a billion dollar product they have spent a decade developing going to help Jagex?

Good gravy.

how is wikipedia the 4th most visited website in the world? because it makers embrassed its users... right now jagex is sunning its users and getting nothing but shame from it

im not saying it give it away, im saying that it give us a chance to help the content (aka help them stop RTW) im not saying they give it away

Well, you don't.

Make your own game.

Btw if you want proof on that

Taken from terms and conditions:

You agree that your Game character, account and items are and will remain our property.

So there

gez.. none of you are reading the whole thing... take 19 more seconds and read the rest... im not suggesting they give it away, or change anything besides giving us a chance to help.

I'm all in favor of Jagex taking player suggestions (the sensible ones), discussing them with the players, making decisions based on that sort of thing, etc. That's fine, and they could start doing it pretty easily.

I don't think it necessarily leads to Jagex needing to declare the entire game open-source. Ultimately, they'd still need to be the people doing the programming and graphics, even if they accepted storyline ideas and gameplay mechanic ideas.

I say we start a petition to get the decision making open sourced

Is this a serious suggestion? really? Well while we're at it, i say we start a petition to make the coca cola trademark and formula open for anyone to use, and make microsoft open the rights to the xbox 360, allowing anyone to use the technology, software and name.

I don't really think you understand how business works.. the runescape game engine, name and everything associated with imagery, merchandising etc is copyrighted and trademarked so that Jagex and only Jagex can use it to make money. you cant steal copyrights with petitions :roll:

red-mask-sig.gif?t=1238621802

MSSW4Banner.gif

how is wikipedia the 4th most visited website in the world? because it makers embrassed its users... right now jagex is sunning its users and getting nothing but shame from it

What the hell are you talking about?

Wikipedia is a success but it was built from the ground up by its users. Jimbo Wales didn't let some private company make it a success and then try to take the product away with hooey about the "users having a sense of ownership".

im not saying it give it away, im saying that it give us a chance to help the content (aka help them stop RTW) im not saying they give it away

Jagex doesn't need random kids on the Internet to "help the content" any more than General Motors needs car buyers to come work on the assembly line. In both cases the result would be a mess (or worse.)

They simply need to LISTEN to what the customers are saying.

signew2.png

What I'm thinking is not necessarily open sourcing the java code of runescape, but the actual content and story of runescape, how people interact, and how to deal with problems (such as RWT). If jagex worked with its customers, and embraced there ideas and included them in the decision making then I believe that we would be able to find a solution to this problem

you didnt read the whole thing... gezus

What I'm thinking is not necessarily open sourcing the java code of runescape, but the actual content and story of runescape, how people interact, and how to deal with problems (such as RWT). If jagex worked with its customers, and embraced there ideas and included them in the decision making then I believe that we would be able to find a solution to this problem

you didnt read the whole thing... gezus

It would seem that you don't have the foggiest clue what "open source" means. Suggest you read up on it.

signew2.png

I assure you, I read it.

Frankly, I don't think it's meaningful to declare a game open-source in the way described. Ultimately you've just got a big open committee of people, all of whom have their own ideas of what Jagex should do, and it'd be chaotic. It'd be nothing more than a huge Suggestions forum - and we've seen the RSOF Suggestions forum - with the expectation that Jagex will do what it asks.

Stick to asking Jagex to listen to your great ideas. You might get that. You won't get open-source RuneScape.

What the hell are you talking about?

Wikipedia is a success but it was built from the ground up by its users. Jimbo Wales didn't let some private company make it a success and then try to take the product away with hooey about the "users having a sense of ownership".

Jagex doesn't need random kids on the Internet to "help the content" any more than General Motors needs car buyers to come work on the assembly line. In both cases the result would be a mess (or worse.)

They simply need to LISTEN to what the customers are saying.

im not trying to make everyone defensive on this topic, you gave many suggestions in your "The TruthScape Soapbox - Issue #5 - ItÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s Not Too Late to Save the Patient " that were truely great, all im suggesting, is that jagex open up the idea making process when it comes to things like this.

you make a good point about a bunch of random kids posting stupid stuff, but i think its narrow minded to think that the voice of many cant help for the good.

all im suggesting, is that jagex open up the idea making process when it comes to things like this.

... i think its narrow minded to think that the voice of many cant help for the good.

Sure it can, but that's not what "open source" means. What you've just described is a forum, hopefully leading to a public beta test server. I'd love to see Jagex do it, without the need to drag in the phrase "open source".

Check Wikipedia!