The hot new RWT thing - paying to have your acc leveled :/

EugenyG

The updates aren't even in full force yet and already I saw a couple of gold selling RWT sites (won't link) that offer this new "service" - you give them your account name&pass, and pay them, and then they either level it for you or farm gold on it for you while you are afk :/

Of course the "clients" of such sites will risk much more now, since they don't just risk getting their account banned but also have it stolen by the RWT itself. But I have no doubt that the major RWT industry players - not the small scam ones but the real ones that use it as a real life profit - will do an "honest" job because that means more business for them in the future. After all, since you can't trade items, they won't need to steal your items since it doesn't mean real world profit for them. Doing an "honest" job for the player means the player will return to them to pay more real-life money, which they care about much more than game gold (especially now that its untradeable so they can't resell stolen gold)

I expect this to be the next hot thing. A couple of consequences for the honest players out there:

- If before we only used to see yew trees/fishing spots/other resource sites get hogged by macros, now it'll be pretty much anything that can level or profit, depending on what skill did the "client" pay for the RWT to level them.

- We'll see much more macros on P2P since most of those who use these services are members

- Instead of just being confined to "noob" areas, even the high-level areas will be hogged

- Can't tell friend from foe anymore. It was easy to spot and report macros, but if a high-level well-dressed player trains in a high level area, it's much harder to tell if its a bot/farmer or not

- And of course, the rest of us can still enjoy the wonderful collateral damage of Jagex's update that we already know about

Could Jagex's bloody crusade against RWT be shot down even before takeoff?

Live free or die. First option is exhausted, so guess what remains?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Intresting,wonder if it'll catch,as you said this is kind of risky...

The usage of bots for a paying customer is also an issue,what happens if the charector is banned?any refunds?

Lets hope this new enterprise wont catch.

Jagex have already considered this. Their new detection is much greater at finding conflicting IP addresses and rest assured a permanent ban will be easily enforced.

deadforumslol.png

Jagex have already considered this. Their new detection is much greater at finding conflicting IP addresses and rest assured a permanent ban will be easily enforced.

Am I supposed to take their word for that?

They promised an "uber" detection system since 2004, and each new update they swore will break the back of RWT, because of their detection system. But RWT thrived all the way until its physically impossible to trade. Their detection system isn't worth crap for what they say it is. The detection mechanism never worked well before, and I have no reason whatsoever to believe it's going to be better now.

For example, they had a gold transfer detection system in the past. And they banned a lot of bots and mains using it, or at least they said they did. But RWT still thrived. Why would it be any different now with powerlevelling than it used to be before with gold farming?

They didn't want to release this update, they had to. If things kept going they way they were, Jagex would be bankrupt. They were facing lawsuits from credit card companies because of the charge backs caused when those bad eggs would sell membership, then claim fraud, when accounts would be sold, and the p2p would be refunded when the account is deemed to be stolen, and even those who just charge back p2p for the heck of it. It was costing the companies majorly and Jagex had to decide between 5-10% of their customers, of the 55-65% of customers paying by credit card. So please, next time, do not try justify something when you have no idea about the circumstances of such an event.

deadforumslol.png

Hypnotic:

Once again, why should I believe any of what you said is true?

Why are people so gullible and will believe anything Jagex will tell them?

They have a lengthy record of tilting the facts, presenting a one-sided view of events, and making bad things look like good by wrapping it in sweet language. Sorry, I simply don't believe that it was a choice of do that or be bankrupt, as opposed to do that so you can be a little richer and have a tigher power grip.

But enjoy being spoonfed the lies, just like you've been spoonfed everything else in RS.

I will also use this as a chance to bring up something regarding the new detection system. For those that do not know yet, Jagex has employed a formerly high ranked Paypal personal, I recall reading he was an executive, but let's just leave it at high ranked for now.

Paypal is one of the most secure services you will find online when it comes to foreign login detection, almost absolutely always an account will be immediately locked the moment a foreign IP is detected logging in to the account. This new staff member Jagex has acquired has quite some control over the runnings of things, and he will of no doubt implemented some of the newer detection systems that have been placed inside the game.

You really shouldn't sell them short, as much as I have to admit that they do not higher all quality staff, they aren't as stupid as everyone makes them out to be. It's quite hard answering hundreds of thousands of appeals, reports, queries and other random messages they receive. I would like to see you actively respond to 1,000 people commenting on how you could better your day to day life every day.

---

Ok, so as I wrote this up you decided to take stabs at my ability to tell the difference between reality and false fed information. I have been actively communication with members of Jagex since 2002, I could tell you the accounts of many ex-staff that used to browse these forums, but I won't.

You don't have to believe me, in fact I could care less if you don't but if you're going to try insult my intelligence by calling me gullible, well why should anyone listen to the propoganda you spread? If you don't want to entrust Jagex to do their best cleaning up the game then you have no right to complain, nobody is forcing you to play.

deadforumslol.png

Am I supposed to take their word for that?

They promised an "uber" detection system since 2004, and each new update they swore will break the back of RWT, because of their detection system. But RWT thrived all the way until its physically impossible to trade. Their detection system isn't worth crap for what they say it is. The detection mechanism never worked well before, and I have no reason whatsoever to believe it's going to be better now.

For example, they had a gold transfer detection system in the past. And they banned a lot of bots and mains using it, or at least they said they did. But RWT still thrived. Why would it be any different now with powerlevelling than it used to be before with gold farming?

I once lost my password and my account was then disabled until i got all the recovery questions. I guess they will just note accounts that go to flagged "bad" IP's?

edtheripperpixelsigv2zy8.png

Thanks to Jopie for this great signature.

99 Slayer|Fishing|Summoning|Hitpoints|Attack|Strength|Defence|Fletching.

Anyone at Manchester University PM me

hahaha.

if detecting uneven trades on their end was too unwieldy, what makes you think it's any easier for them to look for conflicting IP addresses for 500k players a day??

and new detection system?? where was this announced again? And when was the last time I heard of an account sharing ban? (it was actually when RSC was just Runescape--I kid you not)

Paypal is one of the most secure services you will find online when it comes to foreign login detection, almost absolutely always an account will be immediately locked the moment a foreign IP is detected logging in to the account. This new staff member Jagex has acquired has quite some control over the runnings of things, and he will of no doubt implemented some of the newer detection systems that have been placed inside the game

Right, because there is no reason for two people to use a paypal account.

Two consenting people could share an account easily using a dedicated proxy--it would appear that the connection is always coming from one place :roll:

oh, and define foreign...the US is pretty big, after all

100 Combat

91 Strength

70 Defense

82 Attack

85 Magic =)

Hypnotic:

They have a lengthy record of tilting the facts, presenting a one-sided view of events, and making bad things look like good by wrapping it in sweet language. Sorry, I simply don't believe that it was a choice of do that or be bankrupt, as opposed to do that so you can be a little richer and have a tigher power grip.

But enjoy being spoonfed the lies, just like you've been spoonfed everything else in RS.

Don't be so cynical, everyone acts like Jagex is communist or something now. They are trying to rid the game of cheats and bots won't be level 3 anymore.

I'll be cynical too, what website are you talking about that is leveling up characters for real money, maybe a screenshot would work? So you don't have to link us to keylogger hell. I am sorry you are upset with the update, but you need to realize Jagex was on its last string, consider this the battle of the buldge, and Jagex actually pushed most Rwt and autos out. I could care less if there are 50k people on average on. If you hate Jagex as a company so bad and think they are so untrustable, go play a different game under a different company. Thanks.

Hypnotic:

Don't be so cynical, everyone acts like Jagex is communist or something now. They are trying to rid the game of cheats and bots won't be level 3 anymore.

I'll be cynical too, what website are you talking about that is leveling up characters for real money, maybe a screenshot would work? So you don't have to link us to keylogger hell. I am sorry you are upset with the update, but you need to realize Jagex was on its last string, consider this the battle of the buldge, and Jagex actually pushed most Rwt and autos out. I could care less if there are 50k people on average on. If you hate Jagex as a company so bad and think they are so untrustable, go play a different game under a different company. Thanks.

For the screenshot... Sure thing, buddy:

th_33970_s1_122_430lo.jpg

As for a different game, I already done that, and I also have the right to express my dislike of their policies. If you don't like seeing me talk, go to a different forum. Get the picture?

hahaha.

if detecting uneven trades on their end was too unwieldy, what makes you think it's any easier for them to look for conflicting IP addresses for 500k players a day??

and new detection system?? where was this announced again? And when was the last time I heard of an account sharing ban? (it was actually when RSC was just Runescape--I kid you not)

Well, there is no point in explaining how easy it is to detect a conflicting IP address seeing as you are obviously computer illiterate for question such a thing but I will tell you right now that it is easy to tell the difference between someone connecting from China and America (for example).

And many people have been banned/locked for account sharing, it was just harder for them to track down in the past, but I've known people who's accounts have been locked only hours after they have shared their accounts with friends.

deadforumslol.png

hahaha.

Well, there is no point in explaining how easy it is to detect a conflicting IP address seeing as you are obviously computer illiterate for question such a thing but I will tell you right now that it is easy to tell the difference between someone connecting from China and America (for example).

And many people have been banned/locked for account sharing, it was just harder for them to track down in the past, but I've known people who's accounts have been locked only hours after they have shared their accounts with friends.

Ever heard of a proxy server?

The Chinese macros can use an anonymous proxy located in the US to channel their login through, so to RS it seems like they logged in from the US/Britain/wherever. In fact, since Jagex banned most of China's IPs already, that's what they already do.

Sure, you can't pinpoint it exactly to the buyer's own IP, but Jagex must allow a certain leeway of IP areas, otherwise they'd block anyone who ever logged in from a friend, who moved apartments, who uses a school computer, or a wireless laptop, or even a dynamic IP which changes a little every time you log in.

Besides, this is something that you can't autoenforce. You must have a human person look through the logs, analyze what happened, and make a decision. With millions of logs, this simply gets out of hand, and one of the biggest reasons we saw so much macros in the past is because Jagex doesn't have enough people to deal with them. It won't be any different with this new macro type.

Please dont preach on a subject if you are clearly ignorant, half the isps in the world randomly assign an ip adress EVERY time you connect, ip adresses are not an accurate way of detecting acc sharing.

I can change mine at will.

hahaha.

you're an absolute joke

I'm a computer science major heading into my senior year at a major university in the north east...thanks

Idiot,

Doing anything for the >1 million logins a day isn't cheap. It's just easy for you to think it's simple because you don't have the brain capacity to imagine anything on a large scale in regards to "computers".

I could just have anyone sharing my account login to a proxy in proximity to my home :roll: Or is jagex' magical algorithm going to detect that? Is andrew gower going to get a personal alarm set off in his office that an IP actually 25 miles from my dorm is what logged into my computer? oh wait...he's not

(i love how this guy thinks this is all so easy because he can go to whatismyip.com and see what country he is...despite this all involving many database calls and i'm not even sure what EXPENSIVE lookup you're gonna have to do thousands and thousands of times in order to figure out WHERE people are logging in from) Oh and, if my use of the word expensive confuses you in this context--it's because you just got schooled

100 Combat

91 Strength

70 Defense

82 Attack

85 Magic =)

hahaha.

Ever heard of a proxy server?

The Chinese macros can use an anonymous proxy located in the US to channel their login through, so to RS it seems like they logged in from the US/Britain/wherever. In fact, since Jagex banned most of China's IPs already, that's what they already do.

Sure, you can't pinpoint it exactly to the buyer's own IP, but Jagex must allow a certain leeway of IP areas, otherwise they'd block anyone who ever logged in from a friend, who moved apartments, who uses a school computer, or a wireless laptop, or even a dynamic IP which changes a little every time you log in.

Besides, this is something that you can't autoenforce. You must have a human person look through the logs, analyze what happened, and make a decision. With millions of logs, this simply gets out of hand, and one of the biggest reasons we saw so much macros in the past is because Jagex doesn't have enough people to deal with them. It won't be any different with this new macro type.

I know quite a lot about proxy servers and VPNs as I use them quite often. I can easily tell the difference between a huge range of IP addresses. If you really want I can post a default range list.

I never said all accounts would immediately be banned, but without the ability to trade in an unbalanced manner they will have more staff to focus on IP logging because half their staff will be relieved from RWT tracking.

deadforumslol.png

In other words, you say that MOST accounts will be GRADUALLY banned.

I don't disagree with that.

But that what already happened in the past. Jagex has been GRADUALLY banning MOST RWT accounts, but that hasn't stop RWT. There have always been morons willing to pay, even if it meant taking a risk, and one paying moron is all it takes. The RWTers don't care if the owner gets banned or not, as long as they get paid, although they'll take reasonable measures to protect their reputation and ensure repeat customers.

The bottom line is that Jagex justified the recent draconian measures in order to ban ALL RWTs and IMMEDIATELY, rather than MOST and GRADUALLY. But that isn't going to work. They'll end up doing what they were doing before - slowly, painstalkingly, looking through logs and banning people only to have more clients come up to replace the ones that got banned. The miracle pill didn't work, but the side effects for the honest players DID, and that's what's making everyone angry.

I can tell you a bunch of reasons why this wont last long, or make a dent in rs.

1- Its more dangerous to the player and the farmer (the player getting banned and the farmer getting ip banned)

2 - Its more expensive...no more cheap gold...only "cheap" service

3 - It will take a lot huge more time, profits drop, oooops we are out of here

sigqp2bw9.gifIceBlackIce.gif

*** [ END ]: You gained 1,671,000 thieving exp in 9mins 44secs. That's 10,300,684 exp/h.

Dragon Drops - 1 Skirt

I can tell you a bunch of reasons why this wont last long, or make a dent in rs.

1- Its more dangerous to the player and the farmer (the player getting banned and the farmer getting ip banned)

2 - Its more expensive...no more cheap gold...only "cheap" service

3 - It will take a lot huge more time, profits drop, oooops we are out of here

1. Players will always take risks because they are dumb. The farmers have so many IPs and proxys to spare, and lose so much IPs already (yet easily get new ones), that they don't care.

2. On the website I posted, farming a mil using a player's account now costs 8USD (instead of the 3.8 we had before). Yes, a bit more expensive, but not hugely, and most of those who paid before will probably keep paying. As a benefit, they'll gain extra skill levels due to the farmer using some of their skill when farming the gold for them.

3. If there is less profit they may downsize their staff, but will stay in business as long as there are paying customers... And there always will be.

I never said all accounts would immediately be banned, but without the ability to trade in an unbalanced manner they will have more staff to focus on IP logging because half their staff will be relieved from RWT tracking.

you were just talking about jagex' amazing detection algorithm of magic

now you're relying on humans to examine accounts :lol:

You also went from "i know jagex employees-- i know all about this new detection system" to a post that seems like a lot of conjecture and hoping

100 Combat

91 Strength

70 Defense

82 Attack

85 Magic =)

This annoys me because I often commute between Leicester (midlands in england) and Watford (just above london, england) It is quite a distance yet I do it by train a few times a week. If jagex's IP checking is now super sensitive what's to say I wont get banned? I think they need proof on things like this.

runescape91.jpg

This annoys me because I often commute between Leicester (midlands in england) and Watford (just above london, england) It is quite a distance yet I do it by train a few times a week. If jagex's IP checking is now super sensitive what's to say I wont get banned? I think they need proof on things like this.

I'm sure they would be smarter. Another example would be people playing from universities, then go home for break and play at home.

Having an account suddenly log in from an Asian country and playing for extended periods of time is much more suspicious.

I am a tree.