The globalisation of English

World_Anonymous

If you're so keen on isolationism, please, disconnect your internet, lock your doors and just don't go out. The irony of you using the internet to promote isolationist policies is unbelievable.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're so keen on isolationism, please, disconnect your internet, lock your doors and just don't go out. The irony of you using the internet to promote isolationist policies is unbelievable.

Don't forget to turn off the lights and kill the dog.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

:shame: We need to unite the ENTIRE earth under one banner, at least I feel that way. If we can get more people to understand each other, it wont matter about cultures or religions because everyone can understand why people in different parts of the world act differently.

Think about it: If everyone was united, there would be no more war, there would be no more spending money on foreign countries as there is a single money poll to draw from.

Agreed.

dontdoublepost0yz.gif

:shame: We need to unite the ENTIRE earth under one banner, at least I feel that way. If we can get more people to understand each other, it wont matter about cultures or religions because everyone can understand why people in different parts of the world act differently.

Think about it: If everyone was united, there would be no more war, there would be no more spending money on foreign countries as there is a single money poll to draw from.

The prize goes to you for promoting the most boring Earth and existence imaginable.

Signature3.gif

With so many trees in the city you could see the spring coming each day until a night of warm wind would bring it suddenly in one morning. Sometimes the heavy cold rains would beat it back so that it would seem that it would never come and that you were losing a season out of your life. But you knew that there would always be the spring as you knew the river would flow again after it was frozen. When the cold rains kept on and killed the spring, it was as though a young person had died for no reason. In those days though the spring always came finally but it was frightening that it had nearly failed.

The Worldwide English Community (made it up) is not forcing English upon countries. The countries make their own citizens learn English. It's not like America is saying "learn English or we'll nuke you". It just happens to be the world's language. I'm sure within the next 75 years Chinese will be the world language.

For example look at Europe in the time of feudalism. Then look what happened after they standardized the money (Renaissance).

rmstn1580.png

The prize goes to you for promoting the most boring Earth and existence imaginable.

The most boring Earth yes, but not existence. With no war on Earth, we would develop greater programs for space exploration. While in space, we would discover intelligent aliens. We would do battle and win (of course), and begin colonizing their worlds. We would keep going from there, destroying alien species after alien species and spreading the human race.

What the hell.

Signature3.gif

With so many trees in the city you could see the spring coming each day until a night of warm wind would bring it suddenly in one morning. Sometimes the heavy cold rains would beat it back so that it would seem that it would never come and that you were losing a season out of your life. But you knew that there would always be the spring as you knew the river would flow again after it was frozen. When the cold rains kept on and killed the spring, it was as though a young person had died for no reason. In those days though the spring always came finally but it was frightening that it had nearly failed.

The Worldwide English Community (made it up) is not forcing English upon countries. The countries make their own citizens learn English. It's not like America is saying "learn English or we'll nuke you". It just happens to be the world's language. I'm sure within the next 75 years Chinese will be the world language.

For example look at Europe in the time of feudalism. Then look what happened after they standardized the money (Renaissance).

No governments force their populations to learn English. At best, the population puts pressure on their governments to promote education in English because of the business prospects that come with the language.

Care to cite any evidence as to why Chinese (Mandarin, I'm assuming) will become the world's major language in the next 75 years?

I don't see the relevance of your last example. Care to elaborate? I don't seem to recall any mention in academic literature of any standardisation of currencies beyond individual territories, such as the regulatory measures imposed by the Venetian mint in the 13th-14th centuries.

Well because China is advancing more rapidly than the US?

As said before numerous times... It frankly doesn't matter "which" language is being used the most. It's just a matter of picking whichever is the most profitable and useful language to know at the time. Currently, English is easily the first foreign language of choice to learn in any country. Spanish, Arabic and Chinese would come close as 2nd in terms of usefulness and profitability.

And now that you mentioned it, Chinese learning is on the rise especially in business colleges and other commerce related industries/universities/etc.

I've been learning chinese/japanese for some 6 years now, not just because it will be massively profitable to know esp. Chinese, but you will also benefit by gaining respect by the native people of those countries if you can speak their own language fluently.

Chinese is being a pain in the ... at the moment though :lol: But at least I'm trying. Seriously considering giving up learning to write though, it's just too darn complicated, I thought understanding the language and being able to speak it (and read some basics) could be useful too.

I agree with the person/people who said that spreading English would diminish the power of culture and the color, if you will, of life and of the world around us.

So basically (and I'm just quoting you specifically because yours is most recent, but this applies to everyone who posted this) you're saying that, for example, African countries can't have their tribal ceremonies (if any even still exist) because they know English? I fail to see the point you're trying to make.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

angel2w.gif

Well because China is advancing more rapidly than the US?

And their rapid advancement is due in part to people in China who decided that, hey, it might be a good idea to learn English so we can deal with these foreign devils and profit from it.

What's your point?

I agree with the person/people who said that spreading English would diminish the power of culture and the color, if you will, of life and of the world around us.

So basically (and I'm just quoting you specifically because yours is most recent, but this applies to everyone who posted this) you're saying that, for example, African countries can't have their tribal ceremonies (if any even still exist) because they know English? I fail to see the point you're trying to make.

No, that's not what I meant. I just don't like the idea of English getting globalized to the extent that foreign languages would be diminished.

It annoys me how some people think that instead of learning a new language, they can take a short cut and only learn how to say "I speak english" in whatever languages and expect an english conversation. The audacity of english speakers scares me. you expect to come to another country that has a different official language and you expect them to be able to speak to you in your language.

[hide=]

tip it would pay me $500.00 to keep my clothes ON :( :lol:
But then again, you fail to realize that 101% of the people in this universe hate you. Yes, humankind's hatred against you goes beyond mathematical possibilities.
That tears it. I'm starting an animal rebellion using my mind powers. Those PETA bastards will never see it coming until the porcupines are half way up their asses.
[/hide]

montageo.png

Apparently a lot of people say it. I own.

http://linkagg.com/ Not my site, but a simple, budding site that links often unheard-of websites that are amazing for usefulness and fun.

Maybe we should just bring back a dead language like Latin. We know english but some people in other countries dont. They know their language but some of us dont. so we use a language foreign to both of us as a common language so there's no rudeness "I expect you to speak to me in my language even if I'm in your country". Course only language scholars will agree.

[hide=]

tip it would pay me $500.00 to keep my clothes ON :( :lol:
But then again, you fail to realize that 101% of the people in this universe hate you. Yes, humankind's hatred against you goes beyond mathematical possibilities.
That tears it. I'm starting an animal rebellion using my mind powers. Those PETA bastards will never see it coming until the porcupines are half way up their asses.
[/hide]

montageo.png

Apparently a lot of people say it. I own.

http://linkagg.com/ Not my site, but a simple, budding site that links often unheard-of websites that are amazing for usefulness and fun.

Good luck pulling that one off warren.

I know Latin, and I still believe that's an amazingly stupid and idealistic idea.

It's always good for everyone to learn a new language [in fact, I believe most would agree that everyone should be at least bilingual, or possibly even trilingual], but trying to pick up some dead language and make it universal, or expecting people to speak the language of every country they visit, it's just not feasible or an intelligient use of time. Picking a universal language that's already commonly used in worldwide commerce, like English [or Mandarin Chinese, etc.], is the most logical and best way to go around making the world universally understand each other.

Of course, the speakers of the chosen universal language should still be expected to learn another language both for academic and global interaction reasons (as BlueLancer pointed out- one can gain much respect from citizens of Asian countries if they're able to fluently speak the language), but having one universal language that everyone speaks is what this world really needs, and it's gotta be one that already exists to pull it off.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

It annoys me how some people think that instead of learning a new language, they can take a short cut and only learn how to say "I speak english" in whatever languages and expect an english conversation. The audacity of english speakers scares me. you expect to come to another country that has a different official language and you expect them to be able to speak to you in your language.

Immigrants do it too, and even flat out refuse to learn English when they come here.

Your moral high horse is just a friggin' mule.

Immigrants do it too, and even flat out refuse to learn English when they come here.

Your moral high horse is just a friggin' mule.

Indeed. Last time I was in an airport, one of the staff at one of the eating establishments spoke to us completely in Spanish. We left, but not before delivering an angry message rife with threats of burning and torture.

whalenuke.png

angel2w.gif