Debate: Shold older people be alowed to drive?

SHIPPOU

Wait..we're banning people from driving because they're old? Then let's ban all the young people from driving because they're young (17-25s). They cause as many accidents. And don't forget, because they're all boy racer chavs they're going at such a speed they kill, as I unfortunately know indirectly. At least old people never venture beyond 20mph...

Seriously, grow up. Ban the bad drivers, not a whole generation. Particularly one that saved your sorry wagon from the swatzika und einfach nach klass musik.

No no no let's go one step further and ban anyone you can fit into a group when one of them causes an accident.

You're right though 65% of accidents are caused by people under 21.

And 73% of statistics are made up on the spot :P.

summerpngwy6.jpg

I'd favour a 10 year minimum ban for DUI before we start picking on sectors of society.

That sounds interesting, but alas I have no idea what DUI is - could someone clarify? :)

Wait..we're banning people from driving because they're old? Then let's ban all the young people from driving because they're young (17-25s). They cause as many accidents. And don't forget, because they're all boy racer chavs they're going at such a speed they kill, as I unfortunately know indirectly. At least old people never venture beyond 20mph...

Seriously, grow up. Ban the bad drivers, not a whole generation. Particularly one that saved your sorry wagon from the swatzika und einfach nach klass musik.

Older people have more problems than younger thats why we have to ban some of them. If they have no health problems and they can pass the driving test I'm fine with them on the road but otherwise they shouldn't be driving.

crim2ma.jpg

~^v^~Ex-Leader of the Divine Flames of Redemption~^v^~

Older people have more problems than younger thats why we have to ban some of them.

I beg to differ. In fact, you seem to have more angst then all the old people I know put together.

Older people have more problems than younger thats why we have to ban some of them.

I beg to differ. In fact, you seem to have more angst then all the old people I know put together.

I was talking about stuff like eyesight and hearing problems.

crim2ma.jpg

~^v^~Ex-Leader of the Divine Flames of Redemption~^v^~

Lol this gets me thinking there is a forum somewhere out there with only old people on there complaing about the young people driving so insanely fast. XD

I can see my grandma go "omg wtf lol!!1". :D :D

signaturebq4.jpg

Member of #darkwebz.

I was talking about stuff like eyesight and hearing problems.

And I was talking about road rage >.<

Was it an Auto?

Coz I say

Ban, Automatic gearboxes bloody things are nothing but problems you dont need automatic unless you have a medical reason for why you cannot change gears.

Also why is it only good drivers lose their license I know people who have lost their teir license for recklessdriving e.g speeding yet not one of them has ever crashed or caused a crash.

Then I see other people who never commit a traffic violation keep their license even after having constant near misses.

~Dan64Au

Since 27 Aug 2002

There are awful drivers of every age, but I think the older bad drivers are easier to detect. There are tons of bad yougn drivers who could easily pas a drivers test. Most bad young drivers just don't try to be good drivers. I know tons of guys who drive like madman but who could easily drive correctly if they needed to take another test. Bad old drivers would be easier to root out because most of them cannot physically drive well, so they can't just fake it for the test.

The costs involved in making everyone retake the test every 5 years would be huge (and the DOT would be even worse (imagine that)), but if we just phased it in for a more effective demographic first and then checked the statistics, it would go over better.

NO NO NO NO old people shouldnt drive. they are waiting for their death :o :D :lol: . my friend has hadhis 4th crash this year already :lol: :lol: :lol: . old ppl shouldnt drive, they use big cars like cadillacs, lincolns, and kill us young ppl. that is one reason America's young population isnt very big and old ppl are growing quicker. the other reason is because the main ethnicity prefer to have dogs or cats over kids. :lol: :lol:

A lot of old people fought a lot of wars giving us freedom, plus should drunk people drive? NO but they do any way, so you cant make older people drive a lot of young people get in accedent also prolly more than older folks, its dumb to think elders should not drive.

55+ take a driving test every 2 years, 70+ once a year. Why 55? If your 55 years old, you've probably been driving for like 38 years, that allows a long time to forget things. :?

they shouldnt be banned but it should definetly not be like it is.

my grandma is a terrible driver.

and old people go so slowly which is probably good but its really annoying when they are 20ks under the limit

A lot of old people fought a lot of wars giving us freedom
I wish people would stop saying this. Fighting in wars or whatever is totally irrelevant in regards to being competent enough to hold a drivers license.

And the rest of your post seems to compare drunk people to old drivers :-?

Which kind of doesn't sound right, given the last bit of your post....

Driving under the influence of anything affects your driving skills.

Most people know that.

But if you think that your ability to drive goes uneffected as you age, you need to wake up.

Reaction time slows, eye sight gets worse, hearing get worse...

Basically the exact same problems as driving under the influence. You see a pattern emerging here?

If a drunk person isn't allowed to drive, why should a sober person who has the same problems be allowed to?

I don't care what the age is. If they can't pass a driving exam, they should not be holding a lisense. Which is why people are saying people should have to retake their test.

If they pass, good for them. They can keep driving for another x years.

If they fail. Too bad. They can try again another time...

Showing respect to them for giving us what we have right now better than ever befor, just saying hey your old you cant drive isnt very respectful, you just dont know what it would be like to have to go fight a huge war,, your sheltered and ignorant and take veatreans for granted.

I would be MUCH more worried about STUPID kids runnin around in the dam ricers with fart cans on them being irresponsible drivers, which i see WAY WAY WAY more accidents caused by them than elderly people.....yes as they get older they should have to take a test ever few years for eyesite ect,,,but they are NO where near the threat to people compared to young people who cant drive WORTH A CRAP, just my 2 cents :wink:

Showing respect to them for giving us what we have right now better than ever befor, just saying hey your old you cant drive isnt very respectful
I never said that people who fought in wars shouldn't be allowed to drive.

I said the issue was irrelevant.

Learn to read.

you just dont know what it would be like to have to go fight a huge war,, your sheltered and ignorant and take veatreans for granted.
Oh boo hoo.

Driving is a privilege not a right.

If a person can't meet the requirements to drive then they should not be driving.

It's not very hard to understand.

Side Note: Because you like to keep bringing up the issue of "being a war veteran should automatically let them hold their drivers license"

Pilots lost their Wings during the war if they couldn't pass the exam.

You don't see them walking around with their Wings now just because they fougt in a war.

Difference between that and a drivers licence? nothing.

Get out of your box and join the real world.