OS/HDD problem

Alex_Ewan_1

I just tried to install a new hdd in my laptop. I put it in and loaded the laptop and it said no operating system found.

I have vista ultimate 32bit os.

2gb ram.

Core 2 duo proccessor.

R40 laptop.

The HDD is IDE/PATA. Western digital 250gb.

What am I doing wrong?

I am having to use the old HDD at the moment but have run out of space on it and need to install the new one ASAP.

Alex_Ewan 1.png

Goals achieved: lvl 99 Cooking, Fishing and Fletching.

Surrey CC and Liverpool FC fan for life!

its f8 to check right?

Edit: when I put in new hdd it just says no operating system found, I can not access boot menu or anything.

I command DVD to help or claire so i can use my new hdd.

Alex_Ewan 1.png

Like said above check the boot sequence in BIOS. Another option would be to format the disc on another computer and then try it again. You still want to check the boot sequence though to not only setup where this drive boots in the lineup but also just to make sure its finding it.

Kriegsig1copy2b.jpg

You did leave the old one in right? ;)

draciontheman.png

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

How can I have 2 hdds in at the same time. there is only 1 slot for the HDD!

sorry if i am doing something satupid, first time i,ve upgraded anything other than ram.

edit: realised i need to install windows vista on new hdd. How can i do this seeing as I bought the os on the internet and istalled electronically, no cd. I have serial code.

Alex_Ewan 1.png

Hold on, connect the hard drive properly, then put in on the shelf. Any tower I know can hold multiple hard drives/cd/dvd-roms inside. Go to BIOS by pressing whatever button is appropriate for your motherboard. You can find the list here: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

If you can't find the line that lets you chose in Bios, try switching IDE cables around, should also work. There's also something about one hard drive being "Master" and another being "Slave" and afaik there can be a problem when both of them are master, you can switch it by messing around with pins on the back of the hard drive but I've never done it so can't say more about it not to mention I can be completely wrong, although it might be the reason why it does not work.

You don't need to reinstall OS if you insert another hard drive as long as you intend to use the old one.

It should look something like this (Sorry for blurriness, my camera can't focus on closeup pictures.):

[hide=]pict0050dk9.jpg[/hide]

Hold on, connect the hard drive properly, then put in on the shelf. Any tower I know can hold multiple hard drives/cd/dvd-roms inside. Go to BIOS by pressing whatever button is appropriate for your motherboard. You can find the list here: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

If you can't find the line that lets you chose in Bios, try switching IDE cables around, should also work. There's also something about one hard drive being "Master" and another being "Slave" and afaik there can be a problem when both of them are master, you can switch it by messing around with pins on the back of the hard drive but I've never done it so can't say more about it not to mention I can be completely wrong, although it might be the reason why it does not work.

You don't need to reinstall OS if you insert another hard drive as long as you intend to use the old one.

It should look something like this (Sorry for blurriness, my camera can't focus on closeup pictures.):

It is a laptop.

It is a laptop.

:wall: How could I miss that?

If you don't have any space in your laptop then you'd have to save your data onto a flash drive, dvd, another computer or external hard drive and insert a new hard drive, which would mean your old hard drive will go to waste.

I understand how to put in new drive but how will I get the os onto it? It justs says no operating system found. I can't do anything with it yet!

The old one will be wasted but i need more space. 250 is better than 80gb

Alex_Ewan 1.png

If you just put it in, there's not going to be an operating system on the drive. What you have to do is have an install disc of Vista handy to restore the system's state.

The machine itself uses the hard disc to save the OS and all that stuff onto it. When you took it out, you pretty much took out its long-term memory. Gotta do something to restore that.

(And no, just copying the OS files from one hard disk to another will not work.)

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Here's a suggestion: Download off torrent, burn on a dvd/cd, when it's installing enter YOUR cd key instead of the one provided. Do not apply any cracks that are provided on the cd after installation. Done.

If you are going to do that, make sure you are downloading the right version of the operating system.

If you use a retail CD Key, yes, it's OKAY

However, if you use an OEM, it won't work since OEM CD Key is only for use of the original hardware, that is, your old harddisk, when it is installed by your laptop manufacturer (Leveno, I guess). An OEM version CD Key won't work for a retail version CD, at least in Vista, as I tried and failed.

Currently taking a break from Runescape

Okay, I read the thread, and I'm going to use the initial post as my quote point...

I just tried to install a new hdd in my laptop. I put it in and loaded the laptop and it said no operating system found.

I have vista ultimate 32bit os.

2gb ram.

Core 2 duo proccessor.

R40 laptop.

The HDD is IDE/PATA. Western digital 250gb.

What am I doing wrong?

I am having to use the old HDD at the moment but have run out of space on it and need to install the new one ASAP.

Hello, Alex... 8-)

TBH, you really should NOT remove the hard disk that you're currently using. =;

Instead, for that new hard disk that you bought, you need to buy an external drive enclosure. Something like the "ThermalTake Silver River Duo" (click here if the drive is a 3.5"-wide) (click here if the drive is a 2.5"-wide) would fit the bill in this case for a place to put the drive into. And once done with a little mount-work, you would then be able to plug it into the laptop via USB, so you could use the space properly, and alongside the old drive. This would also allow you the fortune of gaining a lot of space back on your laptop's internal main drive, by offloading a large keg of files onto the external drive, such as videos, downloads, documents... You name it. :geek:

I hope this info helps. :thumbsup:

~D. V. Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

I would still install that new HDD forget an external drive. Obviously though if you can't even install an OS you shouldn't be doing this though and use and external drive.

if I was going to just use an external drive I wouldn't have bothered buying it. I have a 400gb external drive, but its bulky and can't take it around with me.

Anyway could I install XP from recovery disc and then download vista from the website using the serial code I purchased before?

Alex_Ewan 1.png