Need help with computer temperatures...

Orpheus

I noticed that my comp might be running just a bit too hot. I ran my computer, then I got these readings off of Speedfan after letting my comp idle for about 5 minutes:

speedfanreadings.jpg

I'm concerned that the card might be running a bit too hot. Generally, every other part doesn't exceed 45C. Suggestions for cooling the computer and graphics card?

EDIT:A few minutes later, the card is running and capped at 60C, and the HD and CPU cores are almost breaking 45C IDLE.

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

Well speedfan doesn't read graphics card temperatures. Those would be your motherboard northbridge, hard drive, and your cpu temps.

The "core" temp is probably your northbridge, this generally runs hotter than the processor (depending on the chipset). 60c maybe fine for this.

Idle temps really don't mean too much, you need to look at full load temps. 65-70c would be the maximum temp I would recommend for the northbridge and the processor. 50-55c for the hard drive maximum.

If you want to find out your graphics card temps then download ATItool for ATI cards or Rivatuner for Nvidia cards. This only applies if you have a dedicated card, this will not work for onboard graphics.

goldenblade995.png

I downloaded RivaTuner, and I found my temps running at about 60C, so I set up my fans to where the fans would run full speed if the card got too hot. <3 this little app.

My problems might finally be solved.

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

Well speedfan doesn't read graphics card temperatures. Those would be your motherboard northbridge, hard drive, and your cpu temps.

The "core" temp is probably your northbridge, this generally runs hotter than the processor (depending on the chipset). 60c maybe fine for this.

Idle temps really don't mean too much, you need to look at full load temps. 65-70c would be the maximum temp I would recommend for the northbridge and the processor. 50-55c for the hard drive maximum.

If you want to find out your graphics card temps then download ATItool for ATI cards or Rivatuner for Nvidia cards. This only applies if you have a dedicated card, this will not work for onboard graphics.

ATI tool works for Nvidia also, using it to check temp and when overclocking. Rivatuner should work fine on ATI too, haven't tested it on my other computer with ATI, but problably works just as fine.

CPU's have a safe-mode, if it get's to 70 or above, it will shut down to prevent any damage.

If someone has their GPU over 85C or CPU over 60C, you should check inside the case if there's any dust on it, and if there is, use a can of compressed air to blow it away (remember, ground yourself).

Video cards have a much higher limit of heat, some cards run at 80-09 on load without any dust clogging up.

If you haven't turned the fans up to 100%, it will help cooling the hardware turning them to 100%, with one of the programs mentioned in thread.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

I don't think there's much to worry about here. Most GPUs nowadays run hot. Besides that, like another poster said, your CPU is smart enough to know when it's approached the Gates of Hell.

Those seem like above-average temps, so to be sure, blow some air in your vents and get all that stuff out of the way.

[Just in case you're curious, by the way, today, when I left the new HD graphics idle on my computer, my thermal clock reported 69C. Of course, I'm on a laptop, so...]

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Well, it highly depends on the weather and the environment.

Those seem like above-average temps, so to be sure, blow some air in your vents and get all that stuff out of the way.

For example, when you go to an electronics chain store, the temperature you get is probably low, since the PCs there are idle and there is air con. However, when you get the PC back to home, the temperature will be significantly higher due to absence of air con.

In winders, it gets lower, in summer, it gets higher. Simple, isn't it?

Finally, your temperature is a healthy one. Don't worry. If it is too hot, the PC will shut down itself

Currently taking a break from Runescape

In my experiance, you will probably know if your overheating. My previous laptop had cooling issues near the end of its life. I think something happened because it had not always been as bad. It got to the point where the metal covers over the chipsets could actualy burn skin. More than once, while playing runescape (and other games if I played long enough), it would start to lag. About a minute after that started it would become unplayable, and the whole system just slowed to a crawl (it went from I think ~1.7Ghz to about 300-450 Mhz. At that point I would have to shut it down, remove any cover plates on the bottom that I could (I think one was ram and the other was teh backside of the CPU), and set it down upside down and wait five minutes for the insides to cool down. Sometimes I used a blowdryer to speed things up. I think it was reaching temps around 55-60 C when it started to fail.

If a computer slows and the proccesor is not being strained, temperature is a likely cause. I don't know if other comps will be so obvious, but they might.

Is it possible for me to have Rivatuner run the fan at full speed while gaming? When I play HL2, for example, the fan slows down to normal speed.

I assume it's a case fan, where I can screw it onto the case? Also, how do I check to see if it can fit?