Jagex didn't really solve the problem with RWT ARGH??

Flamebade

Runescape? Yes. Jagex might have gotten them away from runescape, Now coming back from a long break I notice that maybe the RWT seemed to stop. But If they wanted to get rid of it they should have got it straight to the source. Instead, they decide to sweep all the RWT to another game. IT makes me so mad that they push their problems to another, but couldn't they have just used legal battles by enforcing the copyright onto RWT websites?

mellowsiggyacopyck7.jpg

You make it sound as though RWT started with Runescape. It has been around much longer than Runescape has. I remember seeing sites for RWT for Ultima Online before Runescape even existed. The only way to truly get rid of RWT is to have players who actually earn their equipment and gold instead of figuring that they should be able to buy it.

Everything legal has already been attempted against gold farmers. It's hard because the whole issue is a legal grey area, so nothing gets done. If WoW can't do it, I don't see who can.

2480+ total

Runescape? Yes. Jagex might have gotten them away from runescape, Now coming back from a long break I notice that maybe the RWT seemed to stop. But If they wanted to get rid of it they should have got it straight to the source. Instead, they decide to sweep all the RWT to another game. IT makes me so mad that they push their problems to another, but couldn't they have just used legal battles by enforcing the copyright onto RWT websites?

Are you kidding? As some people pointed out, RWT did not start with runescape. Also, it would take years of legal battles to get all the sweatshops to stop farming the gold, and people would still do it when they don't think Jagex is looking. It's called a blackmarket..

| Dragon drops: 5 | GWD drops: 8 | DK drops: 4 | Obby drops: 2 |

Everything legal has already been attempted against gold farmers. It's hard because the whole issue is a legal grey area, so nothing gets done. If WoW can't do it, I don't see who can.

How can it be a legal gray area if it clearly goes against a binding contract (terms of agreement) that the person agreed to? Jagex decided what you can and cannot do with items and accounts. If they say that you can't "Sell" ingame items for real world cash, then it's breaking the contract and therefore breaking the law. I think some lawyers/governments are either pulling the heart strings by saying "this is the only jobs my employees can get" (in 3rd world countries or countries with a low income per person, forgot the acronym #-o ), or they're corrupt and don't give a [cabbage].

menea_reuter.pnglinkresponsewb2.th.jpg

How can it be a legal gray area if it clearly goes against a binding contract (terms of agreement) that the person agreed to? Jagex decided what you can and cannot do with items and accounts. If they say that you can't "Sell" ingame items for real world cash, then it's breaking the contract and therefore breaking the law. I think some lawyers/governments are either pulling the heart strings by saying "this is the only jobs my employees can get" (in 3rd world countries or countries with a low income per person, forgot the acronym #-o ), or they're corrupt and don't give a [cabbage].

But then again, it is really just word's on a web page, no one reads. The word's are meaningless and the people who do the actual playing on the RWT account are hardly payed and can't even be blamed. A high percentage of them don't even know who they are working for, so even if Jagex decided to do something about it, they would never catch the guy in charge, who would eventually start up again. Furthermore, Jagex is just a company with hardly any power in the world. They can in no way influence what the strongest country in the world does, or doesn't (China). Afterall, Hitler defied the Treaty of Versailles (Spell check?), and no one did anything. In the end it's just words trying to make people scared and follow what they say.

Wait a minute, wasn't Hitler killed, or at least never to be found again? :lol:

Edit: Death From Above, whose the strongest Country?

Not trying to start a whole nother flame fest, maybe just a little humor, that is all.

in4F.gif

But then again, it is really just word's on a web page, no one reads. The word's are meaningless and the people who do the actual playing on the RWT account are hardly payed and can't even be blamed. A high percentage of them don't even know who they are working for, so even if Jagex decided to do something about it, they would never catch the guy in charge, who would eventually start up again. Furthermore, Jagex is just a company with hardly any power in the world. They can in no way influence what the strongest country in the world does, or doesn't (China). Afterall, Hitler defied the Treaty of Versailles (Spell check?), and no one did anything. In the end it's just words trying to make people scared and follow what they say.

Exactly. That's the thing when the problem you're dealing with is based in some 3rd world (yes, I said 3rd world) country. Jagex can do what they want against companies in say, the UK, US, Canada, France, or other major countries, but the way China is set up; good luck getting support from the authorities, they're not going to give up one of their own.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

How can it be a legal gray area if it clearly goes against a binding contract (terms of agreement) that the person agreed to?

Simple. International laws are much more opaque when it comes to violation of a ToS on an online game, and as a result, the amount of money spent defending the [flimsy] litigation from Jagex's standpoint is unreasonably high. Also, you have to note that whatever legal power Jagex has only extends as far as the British Government; only in special cases can they take it a few steps higher to other national governments. Of course, the US and Canada are much more helpful with these types of situations, but it still takes a while to get a ruling.

Using a legal battle to fight RWT is costly and time-consuming. Despite rumors to the contrary, lawyers are paid by the hour, and given the most recent example that we can associate with RWT and legal battles -- I believe it was an eight month long lawsuit -- those lawyers profited significantly more from the whole debacle than Blizzard or any other MMOG company ever would from those efforts.

[by the way, it's trivially easy for a RWT website to disband and reappear somewhere else in the world. This makes legal proceedings a lot harder, depending on what nation their server is in.]

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.