Is meleeing Iron dragons viable for me?

Mungo0

Well, I've been browsing the Tip.it site, and I stumbled upon a guide on how to kill Irons with melee, and still turn a consistent profit. Do you think I could handle this?

My stats are in my signature below.

I will be following the guide, but I will also be bringing a Spirit Terrorbird. Would it be better to fill the Terrorbird's inventory with potions like Prayer Potions, Super Attack and Super Strength, or should I leave it empty for dragon bones?

Mungo_0.png

awesomesiggeh2.jpg

Yes... Yes, that's what he said.

Siggeh1.jpg

Siggeh2.jpg

:D

You should be fine, just make sure you wear some prayer boosting gear to maximize the time you can stay there. If you want to collect Dragon Bones, then a Terrorbird would probably be a good idea as you should be able to last there a few hours on an inventory full of potions.

2008sig2nb6.jpg

Quit RS 2005 | RSN: Johnalder

Back as of 5/7/2008!

Dragon Drops: x1 Med, x5 Legs, x4 Skirts, x25 Boots, x1 Visage | x7 Abyssal Whips

You should be fine, just make sure you wear some prayer boosting gear to maximize the time you can stay there. If you want to collect Dragon Bones, then a Terrorbird would probably be a good idea as you should be able to last there a few hours on an inventory full of potions.

I was thinking of wearing a Proseletye outfit with a Helm of Neizioit, Dragon boots, an anti-fire shield and a whip. Should I opt for a glory or use my Holy Symbol instead? I was wondering what to take in my inventory as well, I know that I need Antifire potions, Super Attack and Super Strength potions, but how many of each?

Mungo_0.png

awesomesiggeh2.jpg

Siggeh1.jpg

Siggeh2.jpg

most people don't really go to metal drags to collect dragon bones...they are there for visage or dragon legs/skirt...if you want to collect bones green/blue drags are best.

i wouldn't suggest brining a terrorbird as you will probably be camping there much longer than the life of a terrorbird...instead bring a bunyip if possible =) there is an alter just outside the brimhaven metal drag cavern for u to recharge your summoning points...you shouldn't bring a terrorbird unless you don't mind dropping and picking up all the items from time to time as well as bringing a few terrorbird pouches...

a glory would be good as you don't want to compromise too much on attack...these creatures have high def...depending on how long you are staying and your prayer level you should bring around 2-3 pure sets and the rest prayer pots and some food...don't forget 1 click tele too

maxed out melee on 10/10/08, current goal: 94/99 cooking

life may be unfair, but why can't it be unfair in my favor?

my fake plant died because i forgot to pretend to water it

Selhy.png

most people don't really go to metal drags to collect dragon bones...they are there for visage or dragon legs/skirt...if you want to collect bones green/blue drags are best.

i wouldn't suggest brining a terrorbird as you will probably be camping there much longer than the life of a terrorbird...instead bring a bunyip if possible =) there is an alter just outside the brimhaven metal drag cavern for u to recharge your summoning points...you shouldn't bring a terrorbird unless you don't mind dropping and picking up all the items from time to time as well as bringing a few terrorbird pouches...

a glory would be good as you don't want to compromise too much on attack...these creatures have high def...depending on how long you are staying and your prayer level you should bring around 2-3 pure sets and the rest prayer pots and some food...don't forget 1 click tele too

Oh, no, the dragon bones are only to be collected when I'm near the end of my trip, I'll be burying the bones before that. And I'm afraid that I can't bring a bunyip, as I don't have high enough summoning, plus I think it would be a little bit useless as I'll be using Protect from Melee and using a combination of anti-fire shield and potions, so I will take no damage.

And I doubt that I could camp at Brimhaven long enough for the terrorbird to run out, but I was going to bring one or two extra pouches.

Oh, should I bring fires and nature runes, so I can alch the rune drops?

Mungo_0.png

awesomesiggeh2.jpg

Siggeh1.jpg

Siggeh2.jpg

there are a few too many super potions there, i'd say 3 of each then 2 extra prayer potions, i usually take

10 (4) prayer potions

3 (4) pure sets

4 (4) anti dragonfire potions

an axe

1 click tele

dds

a little cash

maybe 2 lobbies/monks just incase

and alchemy runes

wee_man317.png

Your equipment looks fine, just make the potions [4] instead of [3] doses. I would take out 2 Super Strength, and the 1 Super Attack and put Alching Runes there, as you will accumulate allot of loot that you won't want to hold.

edit: You won't need quite so many runes, maybe 30 natures or so. I would ditch the Rune Axe, and take the Bronze Axe from the Pub in Brimhaven, that way you can just drop it once you get into the dragons. Dragon Dagger is a good choice too, the Poison adds up nicely. Once you've been a few times, you'll know what you need to take, so you'll get a better understanding.

2008sig2nb6.jpg

Quit RS 2005 | RSN: Johnalder

Back as of 5/7/2008!

Dragon Drops: x1 Med, x5 Legs, x4 Skirts, x25 Boots, x1 Visage | x7 Abyssal Whips

Your equipment looks fine, just make the potions [4] instead of [3] doses. I would take out 2 Super Strength, and the 1 Super Attack and put Alching Runes there, as you will accumulate allot of loot that you won't want to hold.

edit: You won't need quite so many runes, maybe 30 natures or so. I would ditch the Rune Axe, and take the Bronze Axe from the Pub in Brimhaven, that way you can just drop it once you get into the dragons. Dragon Dagger is a good choice too, the Poison adds up nicely. Once you've been a few times, you'll know what you need to take, so you'll get a better understanding.

Okay, thanks. And about the axe, I know, I was using it as a placeholder. Will change the amounts of runes, thanks.

yes, i'd say lose a shark for a terrorbird so you can use it near the end of your trip. also you only need 1:5 ratio on runes not 1:10 ;)

Okay, point taken on both cases, thanks.

Mungo_0.png

awesomesiggeh2.jpg

Siggeh1.jpg

Siggeh2.jpg

You want more inventory space to pick up the drops. Don't bring a dds, it hits really bad on them. Bring a bronze axe or something, so you can alch/drop it when you're there.

If you want, you can bring zamorak brews instead of pure sets, saves a lot of inventory space and boosts prayer. They cost you about 10% hp though (should regenerate naturally) and they boost strength like a normal strength potion instead of super strength.

Basically, you want more empty spaces in your inventory.

2dvjurb.png

You want more inventory space to pick up the drops. Don't bring a dds, it hits really bad on them. Bring a bronze axe or something, so you can alch/drop it when you're there.

If you want, you can bring zamorak brews instead of pure sets, saves a lot of inventory space and boosts prayer. They cost you about 10% hp though (should regenerate naturally) and they boost strength like a normal strength potion instead of super strength.

Basically, you want more empty spaces in your inventory.

Well, I'm going to be taking a bronze axe anyway, and I'll be swapping out a shark for a terrorbird pouch.

Mungo_0.png

awesomesiggeh2.jpg

Siggeh1.jpg

Siggeh2.jpg

Although there is no way I could do iron dragons that looks good to me. (from what i've seen)

Hmmhmm, and on my second run, on my second dragon, I got a pair of Dragon Legs! \'

Mungo_0.png

awesomesiggeh2.jpg

Siggeh1.jpg

Siggeh2.jpg

A tip to help you stay at Dragons longer would be to use 'Prayer Flashing' - I use this all the time at Black/Iron & Steel Dragons & using this technique I can get through a task of around 60-70 dragons on 2-3 4 Dose Prayer Pots (2 for Irons & Blacks, 3 for Steels).

This would then enable you to fill more of the inventory with Anti-Fire Pots & reduce the number of Prayer Pots you would take.

I would suggest the following inventory:-

5 x 4 dose Anti-Fire Pots

3 x 4 dose Prayer Pots

2 x 4 dose Super Attack Pots

1 x 4 dose Super Str Pot (Iron Drags regularly drop 1 dose Super Str Pots)

1 x Bronze Axe to drop

1k GP to enter

30 Nat Runes

150 Fire Runes

Home Teletab (or 1 x law, 1 x dust & elf Crystal or Ectophial)

1 x DDS

This invent would still leave 7 slots free to bring 1-2 food (in case of emergencies) & also allow you to pick up any drops you may want to keep, alternatively you can increase the Prayer & Anti-Fire pots by 1 to stay that little bit longer.

Your outfit is fine - unless you are slaying in which case I would change Neitiznot to Slayer Helm - I cannot see you stats so I'm assuming no Trimmed Skill Cape.

If you plan on Melee Camping at the Iron Dragons I would use a Terrorbird to carry extra Pray, Anti-fire & Super Att pots to replace those that you use. You should use 6-7 doses of Anti-fire Pot during the life of a Terrorbird.

A DDS can make your life a lot easier - make sure you hit your Dragon 4 times with the DDS, it doesn't matter if you hit 1,1,1,1 the Dragon should normally be poisoned by the 4th hit, at which time switch to the Whip & kill normally. Depending on the speed of your killing, an extra 20-30 poison damage can save you quite a few Prayer & Anti-Fire Pots in the long run.

Good luck with Meleeing those Dragons.

the_lad_1.png

Oh, okay. Thanks. In fact, on my second run, someone recommended I use Prayer Flashing, and it certainly made my trips much longer, but I had to focus much more on timing my clicks, which meant that I couldn't devote as much of my time as I would have liked, which meant I was often getting hit by their breath two or the times, before having to leave my prayer on and switch to take a dose of Anti-fire, and the problem applies to watching my attack and strength level.

What would you recommend for this, seeing as you have experience of this?

Mungo_0.png

awesomesiggeh2.jpg

Siggeh1.jpg

Siggeh2.jpg

Try to stay in 1 place until the Dragons ceases to become aggressive - this will then give you time to look at your Str & Att lvl's, as well as topping up you pray between kills.

Prayer Flashing does mean you do have to pay more attention to the screen, which for long trips can become quite tiresome.

Once you get the hang of the timings it will become easy to sip a dose of Anti-Fire Pot, whist the Dragon has its attack, at this stage you will already be Melee Praying & at the worst should only miss 1 attack round.

I also find it easier to use the F4 & F6 keys to alternate between the inventories - using the mouse to switch takes more time & also can then leave the cursor in wrong place, which can be dissasterous!!

Keep practising :thumbsup:

the_lad_1.png

Flashing piety is better than flashing prayer in my opinion. Dragons have massive defence, and piety really helps killing them. It's also easier, as the speed of the whip is always the same.

Try it if you want, you kill them a lot faster.

2dvjurb.png

Okay thanks, but I only have 57 Prayer at the moment. Are you suggesting that I flash Chivalry/Piety instead of flashing the Melee prayer?

Mungo_0.png

awesomesiggeh2.jpg

Siggeh1.jpg

Siggeh2.jpg

If you can't use piety, just flash prayer. If you can, praying melee and flashing piety kills the dragons much faster.

I highly recommend getting 70 prayer, it's very helpful. Whenever you want a monster to be dead fast, turn on piety. You can also bless other people's graves, which is always nice.

2dvjurb.png