Web Design/Web based scripting

dsavi

Something I've gotten into lately, I'm wanting to mod phpBB so I decided to continue learning PHP were I left off. I.E., the very beginning. If someone knows of any good tutorials on PHP (Pretty, but not too, basic) a link would be nice. :D Or books too, I learned the basics from a book called "Learning PHP 5", I'm still working on it.

So, any web designers, PHP/JavaScript/etc. scripters around here? It would be nice to get a good discussion going.

And yes, this was inspired by this topic in Forum Updates and Suggestions. :P

C2b6gs7.png

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate JavaScript. Or rather, JavaScript hates me. I'll get around to learning it sometime. :P PHP is logical as anything, the concept is extremely easy, but the syntax is really annoying to learn.

Strangely enough, Java seems just the opposite to me.

C2b6gs7.png

When I was learning PHP, I found Pixel2Life extremely helpful in tutorials. Now, there's a lot of them there, but they're broken up into sub-categories to get specific for your needs.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

I learned it by just making sites and learning how to do it better.

And making me look through all of your code :P

I actually started out by tinkering with phpbb (I have very neat code because of it :P).

I've never even read a book on any sort of code ( :oops: ) W3Schools has some nice basic tutorials, just to get a feel for it, and then you just start to pick it up by doing it. When you need to do something you're clueless about, there are craploads of tutorials out there. (And Makoto, P2L is very nice. I've got a tutorial up there :P (how to make a bbcode system with php + javascript))

Current projects of mine at the moment are a social networking site (combination of a slightly watered down facebook and a yellow pages [users review businesses and "things to do."]) for pay, an awesome forum system for fun, Tipit stuff for (somewhat) fun/work, and other assorted freelance stuff when I can find it.

^ :P

Thing is, I just don't know what I would do with PHP to learn, I don't have any website I'm wanting to build or anything. But I can't just jump into the includes folder of phpBB and mess around, I'm probably going to break something.

C2b6gs7.png

^ :P

Thing is, I just don't know what I would do with PHP to learn, I don't have any website I'm wanting to build or anything. But I can't just jump into the includes folder of phpBB and mess around, I'm probably going to break something.

Well, there's nothing wrong with breaking something, but you're trying to jump into an Olympic pool before you learn how to float. :P

W3Schools has a few tutorials on its site for the real beginner, and the php.net site has a lot of useful information for beginners as well. Take your time and wade through those before messing with the phpBB include directory.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Thing is, I'm not really sure how much PHP I know. I know more than echo, but I can't seem to find anything in between expert and complete n00b to practice on.

Any suggestions?

Edit: BTW I can't really find a good (I.E. open source) PHP debugger for Linux x86_64, anyone know of a good one?

C2b6gs7.png

Thing is, I'm not really sure how much PHP I know. I know more than echo, but I can't seem to find anything in between expert and complete n00b to practice on.

Any suggestions?

Edit: BTW I can't really find a good (I.E. open source) PHP debugger for Linux x86_64, anyone know of a good one?

You are your php debugger.

But I'm not open source.

Ok, still looks better on if you do it yourself. Also they won't catch everything. Lets say yo might have made a typo or something it will catch that. Lets say though some you made don't work they way you want or expected it might not pick that up. You will have to rework the architecture of it.

Wait...there are php debuggers? Why the hell have I been doing it all myself all this time D: (though you kinda know what to look for after a bit, almost all errors are stupid things like typos or not closing a bracket :/)

And dsavi, just challenge yourself to make something. Something that you can slightly grasp how it would be done but it still has some things you don't quite understand. (and feel free to ask for help :P )

My first learning project, iirc, was a simple user registration and login system, which, looking back, turned out like crap, but I still learned a lot about securing scripts and working with mysql. :P

Just one word of advice If you plan on doing JAVA or that type of programming type language in the future: learn to code it. Don't use software like Front page or Dream weaver.

I am learning PHP and CSS at the moment as well. I recommend w3schools if you need links to tutorials. I learned JAVA and HTML from there. My goal is to code my own forum system before I graduate this year. I also wouldn't mine learning how to design my own dynamic sig system I could use on forums.

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

Just one word of advice If you plan on doing JAVA or that type of programming type language in the future: learn to code it. Don't use software like Front page or Dream weaver.

I am learning PHP and CSS at the moment as well. I recommend w3schools if you need links to tutorials. I learned JAVA and HTML from there. My goal is to code my own forum system before I graduate this year. I also wouldn't mine learning how to design my own dynamic sig system I could use on forums.

PHP will only insert little snippets of php but it will do css and xhtml and i agree with you just code it yourself and use dreamweaver to color code your code.

Personally I use/used W3Schools and Tizag for the tutorials.

Tizag web dev forums are great if you have any issues with your code which you can't fix.

As for my knowledge I'm still learning php, MySQL, JavaScript, Ajax (basically super JavaScript), css and html. Its easy to get a rough idea, but to perfect, secure, optimize and enhance the code it takes a long time to learn enough to do it correctly.

I'll admit I'm not very good at web design only the coding behind it, which is why I make the designs in DreamWeaver and code in wither code mode or Notepad++. O course I end up editing the design with the code, but DreamWeaver saves a lot of time with the rough outline.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

Personally I'm using NetBeans early access for PHP, and I'm working on installing the PHP plugin for Eclipse, I want to know which one is better.

As for web design, I go for simple. Either I code it myself (Like using the built in Theme/Template editor for phpBB, which has no extras at all, just a text editor) or I use KompoZer. Even though I hate KDE, I'm a Gnome kind of guy.

C2b6gs7.png