Web Design/Web based scripting

dsavi

When I do that the Links div gets shifted down as there isn't enough room to have them all on the same axis. That's why the content is at 59%, but that also makes that white strip appear. :x

I am in IE 6 at school here. It works fine at 60% for me. I would also add clear: both to your footer.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

try adding this div

.wrapper{width:100%;}

Then edit the code to look like this

Welcome to my site!

Navigation

Hello World!

Links

Footer

It makes editing the page width a lot easier in the future.

As for the issue its a IE only issue.

I've tried your code in Opera, Firefox 3, Chrome, Safari and IE7, and the only one which doesn't display it correctly is IE7.

For IE7 try changing the wrapper width to 99% which gives you a border around the edge, but no broken columns.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

try adding this div

.wrapper{width:100%;}

Then edit the code to look like this

Welcome to my site!

Navigation

Hello World!

Links

Footer

It makes editing the page width a lot easier in the future.

As for the issue its a IE only issue.

I've tried your code in Opera, Firefox 3, Chrome, Safari and IE7, and the only one which doesn't display it correctly is IE7.

For IE7 try changing the wrapper width to 99% which gives you a border around the edge, but no broken columns.

That is typical of Internet Exploder. I hate working with it. 90% of the time i have everything working in every other browser but Internet Exploder has to do everything different.

Yeah, I'm working on a huge rant about just that for my blog.

You could use PHP to change the CSS for Exploder only, it's about the simplest code there is.

<?php

echo<<<_HTML_

_HTML_;

?>

Then there's the other option: Leave out IE entirely. Use PHP to completely override all the code and deny IE* access to anything. Considering what MS did to web standards, I wouldn't put it past myself.

Out of curiosity, did I do that correctly?

C2b6gs7.png

code my own forum system

Idea thief! :cry:

You know what I mean... Plus, it is nearly impossible to create something that hasn't been THOUGHT of before.

Not really. I am building a Deadliest Catch MMOG with PHP. I know that Errdoths forums will be killer though. Some of the ideas for them will blow other forum software out of the water.

Out of curiosity, did I do that correctly?

Ehhh....not really..(you seem to have pulled some syntax out your [wagon] there :P I've never heard of "_HTML_" before (I know there's __FILE__ and __LINE__, but never heard of that) and the ">>>," where'd that come from D: [You also forgot some ;'s and had your { inside of a comment, but now I'm just nitpicking :P])

<?php

echo '

';

?>

You could also swap out the preg_replace for an str_replace if you wanted a bit less server strain, and it's probably best to just include the normal css first (as an external file) and then the snippets required to make IE work (if you have two css styles for an element, the browser is going to take the second one)

Something that was frustrating me just now: I needed to natural sort a giant multi-dimensional array by an index on the second level (Like $array['key']['total'] is what I wanted it to sort all of $array by) for some tipit stuff...that was a pain.. -.-

Actually, considering where it came from, the syntax wasn't to bad. I used

$browser = get_browser($user_agent, $return_array);

instead of HTTP_USER_AGENT because I have a very new browscap.ini, and I can look through it to find the browser/platform values that I'm looking for in my code. _HTML_ (As well as the <<<) is used quite a bit in the book I learned the basics of PHP from, ("Learning PHP 5"), it's used instead of

echo "Crap";

or

echo 'Crap';

so that you can use both single and double quotes in HTML/JavaScript if needed. I just realized that about commenting out the start { :P. And your way of matching the MSIE was probably better.

Does anyone have something that will turn RS experience into levels? I can't be bothered to write the 350 or so lines of PHP that would do that.

C2b6gs7.png

Actually, considering where it came from, the syntax wasn't to bad. I used
$browser = get_browser($user_agent, $return_array);

instead of HTTP_USER_AGENT because I have a very new browscap.ini, and I can look through it to find the browser/platform values that I'm looking for in my code. _HTML_ (As well as the <<<) is used quite a bit in the book I learned the basics of PHP from, ("Learning PHP 5"), it's used instead of

echo "Crap";

or

echo 'Crap';

so that you can use both single and double quotes in HTML/JavaScript if needed. I just realized that about commenting out the start { :P. And your way of matching the MSIE was probably better.

Does anyone have something that will turn RS experience into levels? I can't be bothered to write the 350 or so lines of PHP that would do that.

How weird..I've never seen heredoc (which is what it's called, apparently :? ) used before. The messiness of it outweighs the pros of using it, IMO (and you can't use your delimiter anywhere in the code D:

Meh, I'm perfectly happy with quotes :/

(heh, I typed this message out this morning, and had to leave for school before I could post it, it's been sitting here for ~6 hours :wall: )

(and yes, I do have code for that, but you're going to have to talk to someone about using it though)

Instead of putting the css right on the page i would jsut have php change what css file is included personally.

exactly what i would do.

we i learnt html/css at htmldog.com (EXTREAMLY GOOD tutorials there for anyone learning html/css) they really stick it into your brain that html files are for content only, not for layout/how it looks/where its placed. css does all the layout and styling, html just has the content and nothing else.

its a very good way of going about it.

Now I just need to practise making some websites using them.

To be honest this was always the hard part, applying your knowledge. Even though you know what you need to know, it's only going to come to life and thrive if what you're using it for has a concept. I just can't wrap my head around anything I'd like to construct from JScript or CSS. Sure loads of ideas, but it's mind-boggling to try and get it altogether. Lack of ideas of what to make the site as or for is hard for me. I also can't waste my time just practicing doing individual scripts as that's not very helpful when you have 30 different scripts interacting with each other. =/

Yeah it sucks.

I'm the same with Photoshop. I can't just open it up and make something. I need to have a design brief and a direction to be able to really make something, then I'll spend hours on it without even realising.

spacescenev24.jpg

A good place where you can find example scenarios is Wikiversity, I am working on the first PHP challange from there. Only thing left is to complete the form validation functions (Using trim() and strlen(), very useful for form validation) and make sure that it's XHTML 1.0 strict compliant.

C2b6gs7.png

I'm working on trying to make a login form, using MySQL. Anyone know of a good one so I could see how it works and then write my own?

Try to make a simple one or a really secure one. I could make one for you and put lots of comments on it to show what each thing does. I won't be able to start on it though till tonight at around 5PM Eastern time though.

Here is a really simple one that i found. Doesn't use cookies or anything to hold the login even after the session is lot but it will get the point of a simple login across.

I know the basics of CSS, HTML and PHP, mainly through viewing the source code of websites overtime. Also, messing around with wordpress helps quite a bit. Currently working on a personal site design; nothing to fancy - will be mainly focuses on the design aspect of it. Photoshop helps with the slices :D

Something that was frustrating me just now: I needed to natural sort a giant multi-dimensional array by an index on the second level (Like $array['key']['total'] is what I wanted it to sort all of $array by) for some tipit stuff...that was a pain.. -.-

The fruition of my sorting troubles ::'

Lol, Awesome job Errdoth. Will this get incorporated in the FF add-on tool thing?

[hide=My Reaction]zomg-43287.jpg[/hide]

Very nice work there *begs for code :lol: * JK, although it would be rather neat to look at.

Slightly more on topic, but I have a few questions. I'm working on making my own website, and maybe forums too. I have a good understanding of HTML and CSS. I'm working on Java (Not JS yet) now, but I want to take up JavaScript too, and I saw that both are rather close in many ways.

So, what should I move on to after JS, which I've already kind of started on, and have a very basic understanding of? Should I try PHP? Is ASP .NET worth learning, or will having a good knowledge of PHP be better than wasting time learning ASP.NET?

Also, I'd be very happy if someone with some experience in it could help me with questions on setting up a web server (using Linux, not shelling out the cash for Windows 2008 Server), or FTP server. Anyone who knows of good cheap hosting if that doesn't work out would be nice too.

[hide=Funny Quotes]

So you sucker punched a kid in the back of the head? Good job.
What scares me is that you're like 10 years old.
-.- im not that freaking young
You were a couple years ago.
It's not racist if its true.
Hmm... I wonder how one goes about throwing someone out a window in a mystic fashion :-k

The mental image for that is freaking awesome.

[/hide]

- I dont need to "get a life." I'm a gamer - I have LOTS of lives!

Hmm... So my logon script is near completion, it uses MySQL and XHTML. Only thing to fix now is to have it connect to the database in a different way, (The way I'm doing it it denies even root access) then to make a script that allows you to register, and use the database to make user permissions. By then I'll have thought of something more to do.

C2b6gs7.png