Age of Conan or Warhammer Online?

folmer_veeman

I'm planning on starting one of those two mmorpgs next year :geek: , but i'm wondering which one to choose. Care to recommend me one of the two with good arguments? 8-)

EDIT: BTW don't tell me to start playing wow, because I've played it for over a year and it sucks -.-

Headshotcatcher.png

Play Wow.

Answer: I don't have much knowledge of either games, I do know Warhammer is pretty much the best MMORPG for PvP other than guild wars but AFAIK that sucks. Warhammers got a couple of instances, but apparently it's quite a grind.

Really we need Nadril for this topic :lol:

WAR, definitely, I had great fun for the little while I played it (I only stopped because of uni, not because I got bored etc) and would quite happily re-subscribe when I have the time.

AOC...well, I've never played it, but from its...reputation on the web it seems to be the most broken, featureless, abortion of a game that has ever been inflicted upon the unsuspecting gamer.

Although yes, Nadril will be able to give you much more detail on both of these, I'm pretty sure he will go for WAR, and I have to say, the man knows his MMO's.

Don't play AoC it's an abortion and bad and does bad things to your family and friends.

Friends don't let friends play Age of Conan!

Seriously though, go for WAR. By next year patch 1.1 should be out addressing a lot of the core issues with the game.

Warhammers got a couple of instances, but apparently it's quite a grind.

I will admit, one of the problems with the game is that it is heavily focused around which area is populated. As a new player scenarios probably won't be as common (make sure to go on a large server that is balanced) but should pick up in T2/T3. Really though it's an easy game to level in, I did 1-32 PvP only.

Having played both, WAR didn't even last a month on me. If you're not a huge fan of the PvP, I seriously reccomend you do not go with WAR. I tried to like the PvP in WAR, the scenarios are actually quite good. But the PQ's were almost always starting to be empty, scenarios were never ever full. The leveling is a grind. It is honestly the same thing every 2-4 levels. You start, do some quests, get level 2 easily. This is where it gets repeative. Every 2 levels you pretty much do the same thing, do the quests in the area, they'll get you 1 level if you're lucky (doubt they'll get half a level in the later levels? :\) do some PQ's for an hour to get a level, or do some PvP. Scenarios are the best way for XP, but like I said, rarely full, can take a while to find a game.

AoC is no shining angel either. I did all the PvE content (which was pretty much all there was to do in AoC at the time, there is now a pvp system, can't comment on that though, wasn't playing when it was implented), cleared all the raid dungeons. Boring as hell after you've done it all once. Lots of bugs in raids, quests, etc. There's alot of balancing problems at the moment too. That being said, I am thinking about trying it out again in a few months time to see what's changed. If I had to choose which one to play, it'd be AoC, mainly because I can get in raiding guilds very easily and I think, if Funcom got their act together, it'd be a hell load more fun than I would ever have with WAR.

If I had to choose one to start from scratch all over again, it'd probally be.... AoC. I find it more fun.

None of the two are omg epic, but both of them have their pros and cons. I won't comment on the end game in WAR, but from 1-15, the game never changed, at all, I could of been doing 1-2 over and over for all I know.

I'm going to be starting a MMO next year too... WoW is a maybe, I have a few I've been following (Huxley, Aion, maybe Guild Wars 2, dunno when that's out though.) Anything is just better than WAR for me.

(15:14:25) <Vidi> Peter likes barbie xD

(15:14:30) <Peter> totally

(15:14:46) <Peter> I've got all the accessories

Both full games. I played WAR the day it came out in the EU. AoC... Few days after it came out in the EU, played that for ~700 hours before my guild broke down, and I lost all will to play.

Patches can fix bugs, add content, but don't change the core gameplay. I was abit harsh on WAR I think there. It's not a bad game, but you only really see it shine if you love PvP, if you love PvP, there's no better choice than WAR.

Honestly I just can't see you having a good perspective on the game if all you got to was 15, Vidi. I mean that is maybe 1 day /played time.

Anyways, for the record, I have a R35 Black Orc and a R40 RR43 Warrior Priest in Warhammer Online and a Level 80 Tempest of Set and 78 Herald of Xolti on Age of Conan. I think I've played both for roughly the same period of time now, enjoying myself more in WAR. It has its share of problems but I'm willing to wait it out.

None of the two are omg epic, but both of them have their pros and cons. I won't comment on the end game in WAR, but from 1-15, the game never changed, at all, I could of been doing 1-2 over and over for all I know.

Isn't that really true to a point for most MMOs on the market? AoC was the same pretty much through all the levels. WoW was certainly the same throughout the levels, even down to the mobs simply being reskins of older mobs. I think part of it is that you need to find a good guild in WAR , because after that you won't have a problem with empty PQ's (get guildies to come with you) or whatever else. The core questing mechanic is the exact same as WoW though.

Honestly I just can't see you having a good perspective on the game if all you got to was 15, Vidi. I mean that is maybe 1 day /played time.

Anyways, for the record, I have a R35 Black Orc and a R40 RR43 Warrior Priest in Warhammer Online and a Level 80 Tempest of Set and 78 Herald of Xolti on Age of Conan. I think I've played both for roughly the same period of time now, enjoying myself more in WAR. It has its share of problems but I'm willing to wait it out.

Isn't that really true to a point for most MMOs on the market? AoC was the same pretty much through all the levels. WoW was certainly the same throughout the levels, even down to the mobs simply being reskins of older mobs. I think part of it is that you need to find a good guild in WAR , because after that you won't have a problem with empty PQ's (get guildies to come with you) or whatever else. The core questing mechanic is the exact same as WoW though.

Sure, the game can change when the levels get higher. But the first 15 levels never were really that much fun. Not a good first impression, nor a good sign for what is to come.

@The 2nd point. That is true but some MMO's try give abit of variety. The quests felt all the same, the PQ's were fun, but they were basicly the same. PvP is the only thing where it was never really the same. AoC did try mix it up abit. Each type of class (mage/rogue/soldier or w/e they were) had different story lines, the quests were mostly all different. WAR's quests seem to be "Kill this" "Find this" "Pick up this", AoC, again, not the best example for a variety in quests, but I never got bored of them. That is another thing, the story line in WAR wasn't as in your face as it could of been IMO, could of done some fun things with it. Again, there could of been major story line parts later in WAR, but I was too bored to even bother grinding to the higher levels to see if there was such a thing.

Though I think it comes down to what you like most. The PvP is far better in WAR, AoC's PvP system is... Not the best, to say the least. WAR has that nailed. AoC has better PvE though IMO. No idea what the end game is like in WAR though, what's it like Nadril? Just endless PvP for fortresses?

End game is generally part Renown "Grind" and part ORvR for objectives. Trying to push back to fortresses, taking keeps, scenario PvP, ect. There is a PvE side as well (Bastion Stair, Sigmar Crypts, Warpblade tunnels, Skaven Tunnels, Lost Vale) which are all end game 6 man's (well Bastion is part dungeon part instanced). I've experienced all of the end game PvE currently except for all of Lost vale, only done first boss there.

As far as quests go in WAR, I never really did them. Did them on my Black orc, on my warrior priest I did nothing but PvP (scenarios mostly) from 1-32 then quested/scenarioed 32-40.

Anyways I'm not the best person to ask about PvE. I really only see it as a means to an end (The grind is just that, a grind. I dont really care much about 1-39, just 40) and I didn't even do many quests in the game. The ones I have done seem just like every other quest in every other MMO (Travel quests, kill quests, exploration quests, gathering quests, other quests. [Like burning buildings down, saving others from burning buildings] ) and the ones they had different were RvR quests (repeatable scenario quests, kill X player quests, explore Battle Objective quests). That's all I've seen in my experience.

And the thing I find is that people tend to get bored quicker in WAR because there is only 40 levels, and not 70 or 80 like other games. The leveling speed 1-40 is roughly the same as 1-70 would take in WoW these days, but players try and compare it to 1-40 in WoW which in reality level 40 in WoW is like level 20 in WAR. Age of Conan at least had a very fast leveling experience, even though I don't know how you can tout it as being better than WAR's when after level 55 or so you had no other choice but to grind and AoE grind.

Don't want to get too into this though, I mean, WAR's PvE isn't as good as other games on the market. But that's why I chose to PvP my way up to the (near) level cap. Of course it will be slightly harder these days, but probably only in T1 which takes all of a few hours to get through. T2/T3 seems to be almost instant scenario pops on my server (a medium/high server) for my roomate, and T4 is fast as well.

ps: what class did you try playing in WAR? Some of the racial parings questing areas are better than others. For example, the orc questing area seems to be one of the best with a lot of style to it.

Fully agree at AoC being a grind after 55 (though there's a new 55-60 region I think). The quests in AoC were fun, while they lasted, wasn't near enough.

I tried a Marauder, which I got to level 15. He was ok I suppose, but I kinda got bored of him, not WAR's fault, I'm more of a ranged DPS guy, I fancied a change, but it just wasn't me. So I rolled a Bright Wizard, which I'll be honest, I had a crap load of fun with in scenarios. But I couldn't see my self doing those over and over. Actually, reminding me of Bright Wizard ownage in scenarios has kinda put WAR back on the cards for me. I have to admit it was pretty fun. I'd have to know there was a ton of PvE in WAR to make me suscribe though I think, and WAR isn't a PvE game.

lol AoC is such an epic fail. Failcom pic anyone? =P

AoC is fun till you hit...50. After 50 there is hardly any quests (ok, I think they put more quests in since September 1st, but not sure), there isn't anything but Combat, PvP, crafting system & Quests. That is all there is. And they aren't very in-depth aspects either. Combat, you train to 80, and then you do all the dungeons about once or twice, and then there is nothing else to gain from raiding. In PvP you have a crappy, unworking PvP system that has been said to be updated by January 1st to better reflect what the players want (bullcrap). Then there's quests, they run out quickly as that's what you'll mainly use to level. From 1 to 50, your combat experience is probably 6/7 gained from quests, alone.

After you do all of those, you have Guilds. Ok, build a guild city, or help build one...they really do not serve any purposes except for giving minimal bonuses in certain things like combat.

Crafting system is epic fail as they don't compliment each other and don't ever produce anything of value at all. There is no point in doing the crafting system at all. You gain nothing and only spend things. The weapons you make are crap, but you can enchant them, but with the gem updates, it's still not worth doing as orange or purple weapons can still produce much better stats.

They need to re-development their crafting, PvP & combat system so that there is an actual flow of 'energy' in the game. And that there is an actual point in the game, and then to create 'mini-game' things to keep you playing. In about one month you'll complete everything there is to do in the game, aside from some quests, dungeons & crafting items because of the sheer annoyance it is to make or do some.

I haven't played WAR, but reading reviews of both games, and then reviews that compare the games, WAR is definitely the better choice, especially with this achievement system they have in War that will keep you busy. I know Nadril is a pvp maniac and if he still logs on to do RvRs or whatever than it's probably a very good aspect of the game.

Than again all of these issues and everything are fixed by a game called Runescape, but who knows who'll overlook it. =P

Regardless though I played AoC and got to lvl 69 or 70, and it wasn't worth my time.

mk since nadril covered the PvP side, i'll cover the PvE side of WAR. the PvE side of war is fun imo. i have fun doing the quests or just randomly killing stuff going for tome unlocks. the quests in the game are interesting and give decent rewards *armor weps*. having a good guild thats active, friendly, helps alot in the game specially if your new, or just need plain help with quests that require you to kill stuff thats higher lvl than you. i personally love this game and and there is alot to do in it, there are TONS of things to unlock in the Tome of Knowledge, many different professions to chose from, an interesting story line *if you consider there is one* and many, many different ways you can customize your characters. i will say this though, the best way imo to play WAR, is play both PvE and PvP then decide how good it is.

modjohan.jpg

l_the_seer_l.png

I am known only as The Seer. I have many names and many different forms. Cross me at your own risk, fight me at your own peril, but join me and fight by my side, and none shall stand before our power.

Owner of the Quest, Firemaking*2-12-08*, Fletching, Magic, Defense, Cooking, HP, Attack, Strength, Herblore, Summoning, Farming and Prayer Capes.

So it seems AoC is rubbish at the moment (with room for patches etc) and that WAR is basically WoW with way better pvp? (Please don't hit me, please don't hit me :pray: )

I haven't played WAR, but I think you're going to be completely wiped from existence for that.

WoW and WAR have different play types, and the basic setting of each game is extremely different. Like the emphasis on the main thing of gameplay is different. They are entirely different games based for different audiences of players. But that's all I got from my 2 hours of play of WAR.

WAR is not exactly worlds away from WoW in terms of gameplay and stuff, but most games like that are reasonably similar. But it's different enough to be a refreshing change from WoW, worth getting if you're interested in PvP. But still, a pile of dog [cabbage] in your Weetbix is better than AoC, imo.

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

WAR is not exactly worlds away from WoW in terms of gameplay and stuff, but most games like that are reasonably similar. But it's different enough to be a refreshing change from WoW, worth getting if you're interested in PvP. But still, a pile of dog [cabbage] in your Weetbix is better than AoC, imo.

You are right. WAR does have enough differences to not be considered a "WoW clone" although people will usually stick to the combat system and (apparent) aesthetics of the game to label it as a clone (even though it looks almost nothing like WoW if you compare them).

And right-on with the AoC comment. :)

You are right. WAR does have enough differences to not be considered a "WoW clone" although people will usually stick to the combat system and (apparent) aesthetics of the game to label it as a clone (even though it looks almost nothing like WoW if you compare them).

And right-on with the AoC comment. :)

I think AoC can be turned around if done right. I hope it does, I really do. But I don't think Funcom can do it. I go to the forums and still see major problems with the game that have been there since launch (and even beta testing apparently.) So yea, don't bother with that for now. There's a reason why people call them Funcon :)

Was reading WAR's latest patch.... Impressive, very impressive.

got to play the new Black Guard career today for a bit, and holy crap do they own! they're insane with their damage. i'm gonna enjoy lvling up this guy.

modjohan.jpg

l_the_seer_l.png

I am known only as The Seer. I have many names and many different forms. Cross me at your own risk, fight me at your own peril, but join me and fight by my side, and none shall stand before our power.

Owner of the Quest, Firemaking*2-12-08*, Fletching, Magic, Defense, Cooking, HP, Attack, Strength, Herblore, Summoning, Farming and Prayer Capes.

I think AoC can be turned around if done right. I hope it does, I really do. But I don't think Failcom can do it.

Fixed.

Sorry I had to do that ever since I've seen this:

failcom.jpg

---

Though I bet some will laugh at this:

http://www.endsights.com/?p=352

Still set for the Xbox 360 eh? =P

Oh, did anyone know that the game director quit AoC, or all of funcom after 16 years?

http://news.filefront.com/age-of-conan- ... isfaction/

I think AoC can be turned around if done right. I hope it does, I really do. But I don't think Failcom can do it.

Fixed.

Sorry I had to do that ever since I've seen this:

failcom.jpg

---

Though I bet some will laugh at this:

http://www.endsights.com/?p=352

Still set for the Xbox 360 eh? =P

Oh, did anyone know that the game director quit AoC, or all of funcom after 16 years?

http://news.filefront.com/age-of-conan- ... isfaction/

Funcon, Failcon, Failcom, what ever, they're all pretty much right. And they're still going for a 360 release? ... Sigh. A MMO like AoC won't work with a 360 controller. And how are they planning on patches? Should scrap that and fix the PC version for their paying suscribers.

Hurry up Aion!

The failcom ages on MMORPG.com were awesome though. I don't even go there anymore but it was fun trolling. A good 100+ posters all with the failcom avatar, lovely.

On the official forums there were a few diehard fans of funcom. You stated anything negative about funcom they'd give you a paragraph of how your life is tormented by past histories of drug and molestation abuse. It was such an epic thing to read, until failcom over there started to ban the negativiters and keep the suck-ups. =P

@Vidi;

The 360 release is bullcrap. There's still tons of client crashes in AoC, hardware issues still conflict with the software, resulting in low FPS, and that's just the start of the problems that still exist and have been created.

I liked the graphics but technical issues are really annoying. >.>