Is Lying Okay?

Maze

I do it all the time. I don't see a problem with it. Wait...yea I do...no I don't. Which one is it?You'll never know.

League of Legends Referal link: http://signup.leagueoflegends.com/?ref=4e55a571778d2633364408

"Life is short, and shortly it will end, Death comes quickly which respects no one, Death destroys everything and takes pity on no one"

Drops: 8whips, 28dboots, 1hand cannon, 2 dmeds 3dskirts 2 dbows

99s(in order): Attack Constitution Defence

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you tell a lie only to make yourself feel good, you're being selfish. Sometimes you have to be the center of all hate in order to make another person better.

You just cant tell with lies. Unpredictable material right there.

That's essentialy true, but I personally think that when you take it to a deep enough level, any action, no matter what the motive, is, fundamentaly, for the sake of your own feelings. For example, if you give to charity to support village in the Third World, you are not doing so for any reason other than you're own reasons: you may feel happy that you have helped someone; you may feel guilty otherwise; you may feel afraid of some form of divine retribution if you do not help others.

For that reason, when you hurt the girl's feelings despite being persecuted (slightly, in most circumstances) for it, you are doing so because you feel happy that you may have helped her lose weight -- of course, it could be for a near-infinite array of other reasons.

Personally, I think that lying can prevent suffering, like in the above example. I myself, however, never tell outright lies. I genuinely feel slightly sick when I tell blatant lies, but I have no trouble deceiving people by bending the truth or saying something in a certain way. Another reason why I never (well, I probably have done at some point) lie is because it feels like an easy way out. This may merely be spurious rubish, but I feel that anyone can just make up untruths, but that it takes skill to twist the truth to suit your own -- or others, but always your own fundamentaly -- your own needs.

If absolute power corrupts absolutely, where does that leave God?

Personally, I think that lying can prevent suffering, like in the above example. I myself, however, never tell outright lies. I genuinely feel slightly sick when I tell blatant lies, but I have no trouble deceiving people by bending the truth or saying something in a certain way. Another reason why I never (well, I probably have done at some point) lie is because it feels like an easy way out. This may merely be spurious rubish, but I feel that anyone can just make up untruths, but that it takes skill to twist the truth to suit your own -- or others, but always your own fundamentaly -- your own needs.

Exactly. I just try to make ends meet. If one thousand lies are less harmful than one truth then sorry but I'm gonna lie. Of course the truth should always be the default choice if the lie isn't going to have a severe negative effect just because when morality is questioned, it is better to be honest than dishonest.