Is Lying Okay?

Maze

There's not a straight "yes or no" answer to this question. There are too many factors that play in and each situation is different.

I have lied in the past and don't regret it because it was the right thing to do at the time. Sometimes telling the truth has worse consequences than lying.. To use an example someone else used in this thread: if you call an over-weight person fat, it could lead to self esteem issues, anorexia, bulimia, depression, etc.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In general lying is something to be avoided. It's not a terrible crime but it's not a nice thing to do either.

Ah, this reminds me about the noob on the Runescape forums who was upset with the quest "Cold War" because apparently his grandparents died in the war. :wall:

In the right context, anything could be considered okay.

Child molestation.

Lying is alright I suppose, but I avoid it unless I'm dealing with someone emotionally unstable or suicidal. Other than that I HATE to lie and don't do it.

Child molestation boosted some kids self-esteem.

image.pl?URL=171577-4798

hatzyv.png

Pureprayer, you're awesome.

In the right context, anything could be considered okay.

Child molestation.

Lying is alright I suppose, but I avoid it unless I'm dealing with someone emotionally unstable or suicidal. Other than that I HATE to lie and don't do it.

Child molestation boosted some kids self-esteem.

Rofl.

[iNSERT "I R EATIN TEH SHIX ATM" BILL COSBY SIGNATURE GIF HERE, LOL]

situation:

*girl comes up to you*

girl: do u think im fat?

boy: well now that u do mention it, u r one fat-[wagon]!

truth. but wrong

*girl comes up to you*

girl: do u think im fat?

boy: ummm err no.

lie. but correct thing to do.

such white lies r okay but others rnt. however it doesnt mean that ppl wont tell lies :twisted: lies can get u out of trouble and in trouble. its a risk that ppl r willing to take :twisted:

The correct thing to do in that situation is say

"HELL YEAH YOU'RE FAT."

But say it in a joking tone so they think you're joking but really you're telling the truth... I do that all the time to avoid answering properly... ._.

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

Lying is in our nature, of course I think it's ok. Though like anything in life, moderation is key. Saying that we shouldn't lie is, I believe, a joke.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

Lying is only alright when it is the lesser sin. It will never be okay to do it simply for the sake of doing it- few would argue that deception in and of itself is moral.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

Do you know what "the right context" could mean? <.<

Very few people seem to know what that means. But I guess they have a good reason to do things like molest children :-k

Even in the worst themes, child molestation, murder etc. When saying its okay in the "okay in the right context". In the English language the "right context" part would define and dictate the connotation of that theme, even in the strangest or most impossible of themes, such as "beneficial child molestation".

When saying its beneficial, it disregards any "opinions" you have and sets it in stone as "beneficial". So just replace beneficial with "the right context".

I exaggerate a lot. I'm sarcastic a lot. I lie a lot.

I try to avoid harmful lies though. (Rumors, for example) Also, when it comes to white lies, I try to throw a bit of truth in there.

I totally just contradicted myself, but whatever. ;)

doublesmileyface1.png

Cenin pân nîd, istan pân nîd, dan nin ú-cenich, nin ú-istach.

Ithil luin eria vi menel caran...Tîn dan delu.

Very few people seem to know what that means. But I guess they have a good reason to do things like molest children :-k

Even in the worst themes, child molestation, murder etc. When saying its okay in the "okay in the right context". In the English language the "right context" part would define and dictate the connotation of that theme, even in the strangest or most impossible of themes, such as "beneficial child molestation".

When saying its beneficial, it disregards any "opinions" you have and sets it in stone as "beneficial". So just replace beneficial with "the right context".

So you're saying you believe these is a time when child molestation is beneficial?

I understand what you're getting at, but if you say anything is fine when it's beneficial then it must be beneficial to be fine. If there is no time when child molestation is beneficial, then there's no time when it's fine. Correct?

So you're saying you believe these is a time when child molestation is beneficial?

I understand what you're getting at, but if you say anything is fine when it's beneficial then it must be beneficial to be fine. If there is no time when child molestation is beneficial, then there's no time when it's fine. Correct?

My whole post was unbiased and free of any opinions toward that matter, so I don't know where you got any of those ideas. All I did is explain how the English language works when placing a adjective or dictating term in front of a term such as child molestation.

Even if, in reality there is 0 examples of beneficial child molestation, if reading in a book the phrase "beneficial child molestation", it would denote it as beneficial simply due to the placement of words in that context.

I didn't come into this thread expecting people to be so moral. I actually lie quite often, and I'm not sure why. It's not big stuff, or lying about doing work or something, just sometimes when someone asks me a question, I just randomly lie.

Same here. I just lie. Constantly. This board is probably one of the few places every other sentence isn't a lie.

(It's every other other)

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

I'm still not okay with the idea that I'll need to lie to my children about Santa Claus or anything else like that. I'm sure it'll be different when I actually have children, but the thought of it makes me die inside just now.

La lune ne garde aucune rancune.

I'm still not okay with the idea that I'll need to lie to my children about Santa Claus or anything else like that. I'm sure it'll be different when I actually have children, but the thought of it makes me die inside just now.

Then don't lie to your children. I don't think I will, unless my future-husband wanted to.

I'd hate to have all the credit (of buying presents) go to some fat guy who doesn't exist.

Plus, it shatters them when they find out that Santa's not real.

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

Provide me a set of events where child molestation has benefits.

This situation should be plausible, not filled with nonsense.

Please read my posts in this thread.

Please try again? I don't see your story becoming a reality in this millennium.

ZpFishingSkillChamp.gif

Please try again? I don't see your story becoming a reality in this millennium.

Okay, you didn't read my posts, you read a post, try again.

Then don't lie to your children. I don't think I will, unless my future-husband wanted to.

I'd hate to have all the credit (of buying presents) go to some fat guy who doesn't exist.

Plus, it shatters them when they find out that Santa's not real.

I believe in Santa Claus, and I'm fourteen years old. I know the history of St. Nicholas, I know he's dead, but I believe Santa is just a coat-wearing spirit of Christmas. Who says it's lying? Are you never going to tell your children bedtime stories, for fear that they'll be traumatized if they never sell a cow for magical beans? If your four-year old daughter asks where babies come from, are you going to go into excruciating detail or just tell her a stork brought it?

Lies aren't evil.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

The cake is a l....

I lie... alot. Most of my lies are obvious and do not offend anyone, just usually to lighten up the mood. I lie alot more in real life than I do online... wierd.

00:00:05

00:00:04

00:00:03

00:00:02

00:00:01

00:00:00

Break the Walls down!