Proposed additon to Smithing: Superheating and Tempering

Peronix

Please note that I came up with this idea because i think that mages and rangers are extremely overpowered, and us poor meleers get owned by both classes. This has fairly high level requirements, and is P2P only.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, what is tempering you ask? It is the process of superheating and item and beating it in a way so that it becomes stronger, but heavier. I propose that you should be able to superheat items at the same levelk that it takes to make the items, and temper them at 10 levels higher than the making level. For example: If you wish to superheat an adamant platebody, you must have 88 smithing. To temper it, you need 98 smithing. To temper an item, use the superheated item with an anvil

What does tempering do? Obviously, it makes it stronger. Tempering a sword will give it 25% boost on it's positive attributes, and a 25% decrease on it's negivitve attribues. Suppose a weapon has -100 slash, and 100 stab (no such weapon, this is an example). Tempering it would give it a -75 slash and a stab level of 125. You see? The same goes for the weapon's strength bonuses, as well as armour's negivive and positive attribues. You can only temper items that can be made, the exception being dragon weapons, but i'll explain how that works later, also rune and steel are slightly different as well. The downside is that the tempered forms are 10x heavier than their normal counterparts. Full armour usually weighs about 31 kg, but tempered it would weigh 310 kg. Basically, this isn't for people that usually find themselves running like little girls.

Rune, being that it goes up to level 99, cannot be tempered by any player smither. Instead, you must seek out the help of the dwarves of dwarf city... but it will come at a price, of course. They will also only temper weapons and armour that have been superheated, which you can do with the appropriate levels.

Also, somthing I forgot to mention, it takes half the coal it would normally take to smith the weapon (eg, if it takes 40 coal to make a rune platebody since that takes 5 bars, 8 coal appiece, you need 20 coal to superheat the platebody, and 99 smithing, of course). And in additon, you can cool the weapon back down by using a container of water on it, or using it with a sink, fountain, or any other source of water. You can also use the superheat item spell on the weapon or armour piece, provided you have the appropriate ammount of coal.

Dragon I am a bit confused as to how that would work, but I have some of it figured out. To heat any dragon weapon or armour piece, you need 99 smithing. Also, going on the impression that it takes 10 coal per 'bar' used to make the dragon weapon or armour piece, it takes 5 coal per 'bar' used to make the weapon to superheat the weapon or armour piece. Also, I think the most logical answer as to where you could get it tempered for a 'price' would be somewhere in zaranis, probally by the furnace.

As for steel, tempering that turns it into a black weapon or armour piece. I am under the impression that black is nothing more than tempered steel, and it can be made in this manner, assuming you have 10 levels higher than it would normally take to make the steel weapon.

Superheated items can be recognized by the slight reddish glow around them, and it says 'superheated' before the name. The item will only stay superheated for a half hour, that includes bank time. Also, you cannot equip superheated items. But, you may equip superheated weapons and shields, provided you wear ice gloves, giving those another use. The weapons have a 20% boost to their stats, as well to their negitive ones and their strength. Although, you need the proper levels to superheat them, and the coal, and also the item will no longer be superheated after the half hour has elapsed, and on top of that, they cannot be traded. So this wouldn't work out so well for PKers.

Tempred items can be identified by the fact that they have a slightly darker color, and they have 'tempered' before the name. Dragon weapons and armour aren't any darker, instead have a slight greenish glow about them.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, what do you guys think of this idea? I think it would give Meleers a slightly better advantage against mages and rangers, and give smithing a slightly better use than just making items, and slightly more profitable.

wrong forum, i guess it's OK but i don't really like it. 25% higher means a 20 becomes a 25?

Yes, but why would you be fighting with a weapon with 20 in a certain category? It's more for things like dragon longs and rune, example dragon long would go from 58:69:-2:0:0 strength 71 to 72:86:-1:0:0 strength 88. Although, that would make it stronger than whip, so i can see why some of you might not like it. But you could always lower the bonus %

I think this would definately overpower melee. The triangle is pretty even now except for the mages who have a little bit more of an advantage.

Sorry but I don't like the idea. :?

Melee have already gotten 4x the updates that mages and rangers have :?

yet mages still seem to be overpowered... and I agree with one part of that, rangers need an update, perhaps a spirit shortbow from the new spirit trees?

Melee have already gotten 4x the updates that mages and rangers have :?

yet mages still seem to be overpowered... and I agree with one part of that, rangers need an update, perhaps a spirit shortbow from the new spirit trees?

Well that depends on how you think the triangle should work. Currently mages can beat warriors 99% of the time with ancient magics. Warriors can beat rangers 80% with whip. And rangers with 99% against mages.

Either way it should be balanced to where they all have 80% chance of winning or they all have 99% of winning. Rangers shouldn't have a greater chance of winning against warriors, then warriors have against mages. Thats where I see the imbalance in the triangle.

maybe the reason you think melee is underpowered because you use rune items while you pk.

I don't PK.

Also, this wouldn't help meleers one little bit against ancient magicks, as they are still stuck in the same place with the ice spells. I do think that meleers that can't afford a whip should have a better chance against rangers, however...

maybe the reason you think melee is underpowered because you use rune items while you pk.

I don't PK.

Also, this wouldn't help meleers one little bit against ancient magicks, as they are still stuck in the same place with the ice spells. I do think that meleers that can't afford a whip should have a better chance against rangers, however...

melee can move against ancient magicks. 15 seconds is about 4 spells, and then theres a 1 spell in between before you can get frozen again, so you can hit 3x before they take a step back. hardly staying in the same place at all.

or do it the easy way and bring a bow + hides. no good ranger can lose to a mage, but melee definitely stands a chance against mages.

It gets sad when a melee pker has to take a multi million gp weapon just to have a decent chance. Meleers HAVE gotten more updates, doesnt mean they're better updates however.

true... ok meele goes out in like 6m in items yes you can protect your whip..what about lagging and getting cought off guard? you die loose 6m or so

rangers... loose like i donno 200k or so depending on arrows and if they bring a wep incase...

mages.... if they die they loose like 500k or so depdning on stuff

and mages and rangers dont need to protect item so its a bit unfair i think

This will never be implemented but I applaud your imagination.

As for this system, a super heavy armor would have to give even more of a negative to magic attack and make the person even more weakened against magic attack. It would only be fair since you are boosting all the stats on the armor.

That being said, this would totally overbalance the triangle. Rangers wouldn't be able to dent melees. It would be a totem pole, not a triangle. Mages would be on top, followed by melees then rangers.

true... ok meele goes out in like 6m in items yes you can protect your whip..what about lagging and getting cought off guard? you die loose 6m or so

thats your own dumb fault or bad luck.

rangers that risk nothing are also going to leave the wild with nothing. most rangers now are meleers with hides and a bow on them, but the ones that just pk with range go all out with karils bow, mage gear and all kinds of stuff.

mages.... if they die they loose like 500k or so depdning on stuff

all the good ancient mage pkers at mb bring ahrims and ice blitzes/barrages + melee gear, so try 3m + whip + rune.

no one pks with just 1 style anymore ._.

I don't PK.

melee can move against ancient magicks. 15 seconds is about 4 spells, and then theres a 1 spell in between before you can get frozen again, so you can hit 3x before they take a step back. hardly staying in the same place at all.

or do it the easy way and bring a bow + hides. no good ranger can lose to a mage, but melee definitely stands a chance against mages.

Ancient magics are not overpowered. Without them, melee would be unstoppable. Still, if the spells fail enough, the warrior has chance to one hit the mage with Dharok's set effect (hits 80+).

pretty much all points on balance have already been stated so i wont go into them but one thing has to be said

how do u think the armour is made in the first place? it is heated them hamered into shape, heated then hammered into shape. Now with weapons for a sword to hold its edge u have to temper the edge and just the edge, if u tempered the entire thing its going to shatter, tempered mettle is a lot more brittle than untempered metal (its why only the end of hammers are tempered) If u had a fully tempered sword u hit something hard and bam, its shatered, there goes ur sword, have some armour thats fully tempered, hit it had and bam there goes ur armour

Please note that I came up with this idea because i think that mages and rangers are extremely overpowered, and us poor meleers get owned by both classes. This has fairly high level requirements, and is P2P only.

..haha rangers having an advantage over melee :lol: :lol: :lol: ...oh my you crack me up :lol: :lol: ....yeah only that you guys have dragon and whips while rangers have lost their specs...and even in f2p that I play melee have str pots and great protection (rune :roll: ) from addy arrows and a maple bow :roll: :lol:

...please dont tell me that melees need more of an advantage :lol: :lol:

I don't PK.

Nuff said really.

I like the idea of something kinda on those lines to make the smithing skill more worth while (such as a chance when smithing to make exceptional versions of the item) - but really, melee is fine atm, you dont need food in guthans, dharok is fun as hell and verac not bad either.

Range needs something, not something big...just something to keep things interesting - and not 'brutal' arrows..