The Gaza Strip

magekillr

Why are there no topics about this?

(CNN) -- Israeli airstrikes pounding Gaza are deepening the humanitarian crisis in an area that was already in deep distress, according to a United Nations aid official.

"The situation is absolutely disastrous," U.N. official Christopher Gunness told CNN on Sunday, as a second day of aerial attacks brought the death toll in Gaza close to 300. Hundreds more people have been injured.

Israel has said the airstrikes are a necessary self-defense measure after repeated rocket attacks from Gaza into southern Israel by Hamas militants. Israeli leaders say they are trying to minimize civilian casualties in Gaza.

Gaza is headed for "a major humanitarian disaster" unless the fighting ends soon, said Dr. Eyad El-Sarraj, a psychiatrist who runs Gaza's mental health program.

He described people huddling in their basements for safety as bombs fell.

"The children are terrified," he said. "Adults are unable to provide them with security or warmth. Hospitals are stretched out of the limits. We need blood and medicine and surgical equipment."

"People are suffering and dying because of shortages of medical equipment," said Dr. Mahmoud el-Khazndar, who works at Gaza City's Shifa Hospital. "The hospital is not accustomed to accept mass casualties like this."

Gunness, a spokesman for the U.N. Relief and Works Agency for Palestinian Refugees (UNRWA), said the agency has been unable to get needed medical supplies into Gaza for more than a year, because of Israel's blockade of border crossings.

"Long, long lists of drugs and other medical supplies which in the U.S. would be considered standard in any hospital -- they're just not available in Gaza," he said. "When people have been turning up for treatment following this massive attack, they are simply being turned away. If you've got things like shattered limbs, broken arms, broken legs, feet blown off, that kind of thing, you're simply not being seen. If you've got very light injuries and you need bandages or aspirins, you'll get seen."

The United Nations Security Council held a four-hour emergency meeting early Sunday on the situation, ending with a call for an immediate halt to violence. The council also called for a reopening of border crossings to allow humanitarian supplies to reach those in Gaza. Watch Security Council statement on situation »

Israel did give in to requests from the Red Cross and others to allow 30 trucks loaded with fuel, food and medical supplies to pass into Gaza through the Kerem Shalom crossing Sunday morning, along with five ambulances contributed by Egypt, an Israeli security source said.

However, a senior Israeli military official said that the air raids will continue, and that Israeli ground troops deployed around Gaza will "be activated if needed."

The Red Cross and World Food Program trucks that moved across the border Sunday were the first deliveries allowed by Israel since 80 trucks moved through on Friday.

The Security Council also "called for all parties to address the serious humanitarian and economic needs in Gaza and to take necessary measures including opening all border crossings to ensure the continuous provision of humanitarian supplies, including the supplies of food, fuel and provision of medical treatment."

Gunness said Israel cooperates with his agency's efforts to get humanitarian supplies into Gaza -- but that's not enough.

"We have a good working relationship with Israelis on the ground," he said. "But at the political level, it seems that there is some kind of determination that there should be no development, there should be no prosperity inside Gaza."

Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert told ministers at a weekly Cabinet meeting Sunday that the situation in southern Israel along the Gaza border "is liable to continue for some time, perhaps more than can be foreseen at the present time."

Gunness urged both sides to stop the violence and talk, saying the bombardment of Gaza doesn't serve Israel's strategic interests.

"To have tens of thousands, indeed hundreds of thousands, of angry, hungry, desperate people on the borders of Israel is not in Israel's interest," he said. "It's only the militants, it's only the extremists who benefit from the situation in Gaza."

What is the world going to do about this? What should be the next course of action? Of course the US isn't going to tell Israel that they're using far too much force just like they did in Lebanon in 2006, and now the Palestinians are being shot at by Egyptians for trying to escape the air-raids from the Israelis.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know why no-one has posted this. It's not what people really want to hear either.

ON TOPIC:

Why have they started fighting again anyway? I'm confused.

2257AD.TUMBLR.COM

Probably no counter-attack, and everyone will go about in a few months forgetting it ever happened. Or maybe Hamas will lose governance and be attacked while their down.

I don't know why no-one has posted this. It's not what people really want to hear either.

Don't generalize "people" as apathetic to world-events. Heck, there are some Israeli's and Arabs OT'ers probably.

[iNSERT "I R EATIN TEH SHIX ATM" BILL COSBY SIGNATURE GIF HERE, LOL]

I'm not saying that people don't care about it, but people are tired of hearing about conflict and just want it to stop. Sorry that I put across the wrong message :wall:

2257AD.TUMBLR.COM

I'm not saying that people don't care about it, but people are tired of hearing about conflict and just want it to stop. Sorry that I put across the wrong message :wall:

What you are doing is still generalizing people. You're now saying people tire of conflicts in the Middle-East etc. I get it, I know what your trying to get across, and I think you wrong. Obviously people do care about conflicts, it never ceases to be broadcast on new shows, radio shows where people do listen and do not grow tired of reports of such conflict. Actually, you're saying "but people are tired of hearing about conflict", and from what you conveyed, I can come to conclusion that you yourself do not like hearing about conflict. Of course hearing about peoples lives being taken isn't beneficial to your life in the long-run. But what is the point of living on the earth, in civilization if you mask yourself to its downsides and clashes? I do not want to be sheltered from bad, nor does "tiredness" or "repetitiveness" have any relevance to it.

Yeah, crap. I heard about that today morning or yesterday's, and, well, ...

Not that the Israelites and Palestininans were already fighting enough already, now this. I guess we here at Tif can't solve much 'cept of beating a dead horse :/

Littleboy probably meant that when you put news on and this comes in as first, it sorta "floats your boat" and gives you this pessimistic feeling for a while.

sizegf9.jpg

^ my book :^_^:

I don't play anymore, but I'm grateful I played through the best RS times!

This seems like it could blow up quite fast. I wouldn't be surprised if Israel set some other military operations in effect. Someone needs to delay this conflict quick or it will get worse.

l0rd, people do tire of conflicts in the middle east. It is a correct generalization, why are you arguing about it?

This seems like it could blow up quite fast. I wouldn't be surprised if Israel set some other military operations in effect. Someone needs to delay this conflict quick or it will get worse.

l0rd, people do tire of conflicts in the middle east. It is a correct generalization, why are you arguing about it?

I never said people don't tire of conflicts in the middle-east, read my whole post.

Even in a given fictional circumstance where 100% of the population "tires" of hearing about conflict. I wouldn't want my news sources to cease providing me with information of such conflict.

The options are: 1. live in a fake-peaceful world or 2. live in an informative, cruel world.

I'll choose option 2.

It's just opportunism, in my opinion, attack while Bush is on the way out and before Obama is in & coincidentally just before Israel's own elections. No doubt this is the sequel to what they did in Lebannon - get in quickly destroy as much as you can & get out before things get awkward. I do think the Israeli's have the right to defend themselves against the rockets but their response is so disproportionate that it is almost laughable, the rocket attacks were down dramatically (to as close as zero as is possible in Gaza) for a while after the ceasefire agreement but they still didn't end the Gaza blockade, so where is the incentive for continuing to not fire rockets?

It really worries me how Israel is collectively punishing the civilians of Gaza by bombing what is one of the world's most densely populated areas, they know that the civilian casualties will be massive but yet they continue to bomb. If Israel wants to destroy the influence of Hamas it has just shot itself in the foot, in times like this people will be even more attracted to the extremes, like Hamas, and it will bolster huge support for them - I wouldn't be surprised if Hamas won in the West Bank in he next Palestinian elections. I also fear Tzipi Livni becoming the Israeli PM, she appears to be a bit of a hardliner which is not going to help the peace process at all.

Another thing that puzzles me is why Israel is actively targeting the Palestinian domestic police force, if they want an end to rocket attacks then the very last thing you should do is target the police force that is in charge of keeping order, it is completely counter-productive. I really hope this doesn't descend into a prolonged ground assault as has been suggested by some news sources as it will lead to huge losses of live, Hamas taking up extreme methods of resistance (ie suicide bombings) and it will destroy any chance of peace.

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

I never said people don't tire of conflicts in the middle-east, read my whole post.

What you are doing is still generalizing people. You're now saying people tire of conflicts in the Middle-East etc. I get it, I know what your trying to get across, and I think you wrong.

Even in a given fictional circumstance where 100% of the population "tires" of hearing about conflict. I wouldn't want my news sources to cease providing me with information of such conflict.

The options are: 1. live in a fake-peaceful world or 2. live in an informative, cruel world.

I'll choose option 2.

No ones arguing ignorance for bliss, just stating that the conflict is tiring and frustrating. That's why I'm confused as to what you're arguing about.

Oh yeah, edit in red.

OT: I think Israel is looking for an excuse to take the Gaza Strip. Hamas knew the attacks would create retaliation (Israel has attacked for less) and was already hiding. At this point, I guess we should hope surrounding countries continue to allow aid to get to Gaza.

If the US and other countries get involved, it could escalate into a too big war, so it's risky business.

But they had it coming, all year long HAMAS fire rockets into Israel, and expect to get away with it. Israel warned them enough is enough, and so I believe they're justified in the air strikes.

megakillersigbyhawkxsrh0.png

Quit Runescape 30th May 2006.

Thanks to Hawkxs for my signature :)

What you are doing is still generalizing people. You're now saying people tire of conflicts in the Middle-East etc. I get it, I know what your trying to get across, and I think you wrong.

I'll choose option 2.

No ones arguing ignorance for bliss, just stating that the conflict is tiring and frustrating. That's why I'm confused as to what you're arguing about.

Oh yeah, edit in red.

OT: I think Israel is looking for an excuse to take the Gaza Strip. Hamas knew the attacks would create retaliation (Israel has attacked for less) and was already hiding. At this point, I guess we should hope surrounding countries continue to allow aid to get to Gaza.

Nothing that I said contradicts myself.

When I said "I never said people don't tire of conflicts in the middle-east, read my whole post." I meant I know there are some people that tire of it and some people don't. In this statement I was saying that I know there is a segment of the population that does tire of it.

And I know no one wants ignorance or is arguing for bliss, I am saying it is the by-product of that kind of attitude towards things.

Tbh, I'm agreeing with the others when I say that no one likes discussing this stuff. It's not because you choose not to follow every single step of the war that you live in your own dreamland Utopia; it just means you're sick of hearing about war day in day out.

No, I don't necessarily go and count. Just because it has no relevance to your life and you don't care so much about it as to be prepared to debate every minute detail doesn't mean you're ignorant. Do you know how many Romans don't do like they themselves do?

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

No, I don't necessarily go and count. Just because it has no relevance to your life and you don't care so much about it as to be prepared to debate every minute detail doesn't mean you're ignorant. Do you know how many Romans don't do like they themselves do?

It was obviously a rhetorical question asked to stress my point. Anyways, the Gaza Strip is in no way relevant to my life, don't make accusations that you don't know.

Not knowing what the Gaza Strip is after supposedly "listening to conflict after conflict in the middle-east until so much repetitiveness induces tiredness of the subject" then I believe one should know what the Gaza Strip is. The only people I look down upon in this case are the people who claim to be so tired from so much news about Conflict in the middle-east, when really they don't know what the Gaza Strip is.

I really don't care about Roman culture or history, and it is not in new-sources that I read, watch or hear. So obviously I am not tired from it. Given that, I don't know the answer to your question. Is this ignorance? No.

Is it ignorance when someone claims to be "tired" of so many newstories about conflicts in the middle-east and they don't even know what the Gaza Strip is? Yes.

I really don't care about Roman culture or history, and it is not in new-sources that I read, watch or hear. So obviously I am not tired from it. Given that, I don't know the answer to your question. Is this ignorance? No.

Exactly ::'

Is it ignorance when someone claims to be "tired" of so many newstories about conflicts in the middle-east and they don't even know what the Gaza Strip is? Yes.

But how many people have said this thus far...?

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

It would be genocide on both sides.

But Israel has bigger guns.

Correction, Israel has been given bigger guns.

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

Correction, Israel has been given the threat of bigger guns.

I feel for the Palestinians... but I also remember they elected those Hamas bastards into a majority role in their government. Karma has a funny way of bring it all back home.

Does not the Hamas charter state:

There is no solution for the Palestinian question except through Jihad
?

Why then the consternation when the jihad is handed back?

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

Words can't really describe how angry I was when I heard of this.

It's genocide. Not on a Hitler-scale, but nonetheless, I cannot think of any other appropriate noun.

That, Ginger Warrior, is the best analysis of this genocide, by anyone.

2257AD.TUMBLR.COM

Correction, Israel has been given the threat of bigger guns.

I was referring to the arms that the US provides to Israel, I presume you're referring to nuclear weapons (which aren't there to threaten the Palestinians but rather Israels larger enemies like Iran, Syria etc).

edit

I feel for the Palestinians... but I also remember they elected those Hamas bastards into a majority role in their government. Karma has a funny way of bring it all back home.

Let me ask you a question, how can the West actively seek to promote the spread of democracy and then change the rules when somebody they don't like is elected? Don't get me wrong I don't condone or support Hamas but when they got in power the Quartet (USA, UN, EU & Russia) suddenly changes what it does to help the Palestinian people. It's complete blackmail - "we'll give you aid and the tax money that your people raise but only if you elect who we want."

wild_bunch.gif

Yes, they elected them, but like 1_man_army said, Israel is just continuing to shoot themselves in the feet by bombing their citizens.

step 1 - Hamas (of Palestine) sends rockets to 2 small southern Israeli towns (Sderot & Ashkelon), because that's as far as their rockets can reach, and barely anyone gets hurt.

step 2 - the Israeli government is pressured to retaliate, which they do, by air-raiding the Gaza Strip and killing hundreds of Palestinians.

step 3 - Condoleeza Rice defends Israel's actions, without criticizing anything at all, and blames everything on Hamas.

step 4 - Hamas uses the whole ordeal to make propaganda against Israel & the United States, which helps them gain popularity and stay in power in Palestine.

step 5 - repeat step 1.

It's been this way for years, and it's going to continue until there is some change. I don't expect Hillary or Obama to react much differently than Condi Rice, though.