Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Mac Vs. PC...What should I do???

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

Poll: Poll (0 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote Guests cannot vote

blade995
[ Display Name History ]

blade995

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,897 posts

well i still think i'm leaning towards a mac laptop, but i'm still undecided.

I've read everyones posts and it is pretty much what i expected to hear in terms of mac vs. pc (seeing as this is a gaming forum, i assumed most people would prefer macs)

but after all I am going into college and my work life is more important than my gaming life.

On a side note, i currently use limewire to get my music, so is limewire compatable with macs? or are there any other good free music download sources for macs?

thanks

Windows isn't just for games. I would hardly consider Runescape a game anyway, all the games people are talking about are graphic intensive that are only made for Windows, like Crysis.

If work is important to you, look into what your company suggests for a laptop. Some companies have software that you need to use that is only pc compatible. Or the web based software requires activeX which is Internet Explorer only which requires Windows. Then if you got a Mac you would need to install Windows which would defeat the purpose of a Mac so you could run OSX.
Posted Image

Nadril
[ Display Name History ]

Nadril

Post Junkie

• Members
  • 23,966 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
Neither OS is really better than the other man. If you're used to windows, stick with windows. There isn't any point to switch.

InkofDeath
[ Display Name History ]

InkofDeath

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,918 posts
It's not really about the O/S, but about the hardware. Stop comparing O/S's, and look at the hardware you'll most likely encounter and need. You will adjust to the O/S or software that you get. Regardless of how easy it is to use or not. Windows and Mac's do not have any major software issues that will 'waste' your time more than 2 minutes of extra clicking for either O/S per day.

If you're using this laptop for university or whatever, and it'll be for research, writing essays, social networking and such, just get a netbook.

If you're wanting to do anything more than just simple programs and such, like gaming on the side or when you have free time, then it's obviously a laptop. But it will still be less expensive than mac hardware.

There is no reason to buy a mac unless you were raised with one, or can't figure out simple problems, and immediately condemn whatever is causing the problem.

Usability > reputation.

To be honest though just give us a more detailed list of what exactly you'll be doing on the computer, and anything you may find yourself doing for fun or extra in your 'spare' time. Then we'll be able to give you computers that can get the job done, with ease, and for cheapness.

compfreak847
[ Display Name History ]

compfreak847

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,686 posts

I've read everyones posts and it is pretty much what i expected to hear in terms of mac vs. pc (seeing as this is a gaming forum, i assumed most people would prefer macs)

but after all I am going into college and my work life is more important than my gaming life.

On a side note, i currently use limewire to get my music, so is limewire compatable with macs? or are there any other good free music download sources for macs?

thanks

I still don't see an argument.

A windows laptop will get you roughly twice the hardware as a mac for the same price, if your good at finding dell deals. Windows has more programs in EVERY area. Period. You'll run into hundreds of things you want to do but can't on a mac; the reverse is almost never true. Any time you have a problem, good luck getting help - you can't just ask your campus IT guy.
Posted Image
Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29
GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots
Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

eggzs
[ Display Name History ]

eggzs

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 918 posts

thanks

Ok then, just ignore what has been posted in the last two pages. It has already been established that:

-Laptops with Windows (or "PC's") are cheaper than a Mac with equivalent Hardware

-" " " can have equivalent or even better Software

-There are more peripherals for " " "

-" " " have a much larger range of software

what more do you want?
Posted Image

Ouchy
[ Display Name History ]

Ouchy

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,365 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
There's no point in switching to a Mac, if you are already on Windows. If you're switching because you like the theme and software/etc. of a Mac, then get a Widows to Mac Transformation Pack and try it out.

And Windows generally have better support, more programs and other flexibility that Mac's don't have.

My relaxation method involves a bottle of lotion, beautiful women, and partial nudity. Yes I get massages.

Posted Image

Varda
[ Display Name History ]

Varda

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,534 posts

When you move a program to the dock, it doesn't use any RAM, and speak to any concept artist, and most will say that the Mac is best for arts.

I've never heard that about the dock before o.o

I know several people who do design professionally, some use Macs, some use Windows, and tbh, "other people use them" is a stupid reason to use them yourself :/

And with your picture: being a bit of a motorhead, and a complete tinkerer when it comes to computers, I wouldn't want a car that "just worked." :lol:

One of the comments I remember from when that picture was posted on digg/reddit/one-of-those-sites went something like "Yes, but the mac car can only run on mac gas, can only drive on mac approved roads, and to change the oil you have to ship it off to a shop" :P

Honestly, they look like sex, but I'd never buy one solely because of the sheer price of the thing and it not being able to play games.

Haha, good that picture gave someone some laughter. :D

But jeez, why is everyone taking games in the argument? I still wonder about that.

Want to hear a secret? I have stashed all of my Mac stuff with the MS X360 games. :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

and tbh, "other people use them" is a stupid reason to use them yourself :/

True that, but now I was speaking on the professional level.

What I have said all the time, you use what you like.

One of the comments I remember from when that picture was posted on digg/reddit/one-of-those-sites went something like "Yes, but the mac car can only run on mac gas, can only drive on mac approved roads, and to change the oil you have to ship it off to a shop"

Heard it before, just in Windows style. Think it was the original. (Mum is still swearing over Vista after a half year. :roll: )

Was something about the Windows car only could use Microsoft, but on other roads too, just very, very slowly. The chairs would come in one size, and if you wanted more chairs, you'd have to upgrade to the newest OS and Service pack, then install the chairs etc etc, I can't remember it. :P

OP, just use what you feel comfortable with, don't just pick what you think you will like.

Laura
[ Display Name History ]

Laura

Cor Aut Mors

• Members
  • 3,425 posts

It's not really about the O/S, but about the hardware. Stop comparing O/S's, and look at the hardware you'll most likely encounter and need. You will adjust to the O/S or software that you get. Regardless of how easy it is to use or not. Windows and Mac's do not have any major software issues that will 'waste' your time more than 2 minutes of extra clicking for either O/S per day.

If you're using this laptop for university or whatever, and it'll be for research, writing essays, social networking and such, just get a netbook.

If you're wanting to do anything more than just simple programs and such, like gaming on the side or when you have free time, then it's obviously a laptop. But it will still be less expensive than mac hardware.

There is no reason to buy a mac unless you were raised with one, or can't figure out simple problems, and immediately condemn whatever is causing the problem.

Usability > reputation.

To be honest though just give us a more detailed list of what exactly you'll be doing on the computer, and anything you may find yourself doing for fun or extra in your 'spare' time. Then we'll be able to give you computers that can get the job done, with ease, and for cheapness.

A netbook? For uni? :? Sure the portability is nice, but HD space is going to become a problem. Also, if I was going to switch to a Mac, this would be another reason. I have yet to see any Windows equivalent. iWeb and iPhoto would be great for me. Here's some other benchmarks.
Posted Image

ThurinEthir
[ Display Name History ]

ThurinEthir

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,999 posts
  • RSN:Penguinduck3

As far as a laptop goes, I would really watch best buy's ads each week. Usually best buy is overpriced, but they can get some crazy good deals.

Oh right, I've been doing this lately for no good reason. But today, I found that there was an ad for a Macbook next to an ad for some HP laptop.

The Macbook was $1299, 2.0 GHz, 2 GB RAM (Upgradeable to 4 GB), a pretty good video card...

The HP was $1199, 6 GB RAM (Yeah, what? I sat there for like 5 minutes staring at it with my mouth open), an even better video card than the Mac, more HD space (Twice as much, I think), just simply better specs overall. And cheaper.

Well. :P
Posted Image
Cenin pân nîd, istan pân nîd, dan nin ú-cenich, nin ú-istach.
Ithil luin eria vi menel caran...Tîn dan delu.

Nadril
[ Display Name History ]

Nadril

Post Junkie

• Members
  • 23,966 posts
Yeah. Like I said I got a crazy good laptop at best buy for around $1000 (was like $1,100 with taxes and what not).

dsavi
[ Display Name History ]

dsavi

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,868 posts
The only reason I would switch to a Mac is if I desperately wanted to run programs made for Unix and have a good set of proprietary tools at the same time. My brother wants one because "PCs are ugly". :roll:

C2b6gs7.png

Tom_Servo
[ Display Name History ]

Tom_Servo

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 405 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Tom Servo
PC's have more software for whatever it is that you use your computer for. And wether people like it or not, Windows is still the standard OS for businesses and most schools. On the other hand, Macintoshes are pretty and can dual boot, but it comes at a high price. If you are going to use Windows, though, there is no point to put it on a Mac, as you will be making it a PC which you could buy for ~$600 less.

Foxtrot17
[ Display Name History ]

Foxtrot17

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 161 posts
If your into gaming or software, go pc; if you like practicality and simplicity/security go buy a Mac.
Posted Image

Veni, vidi, vici - Julius Caesar

Rahila
[ Display Name History ]

Rahila

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 872 posts
  • RSN:rahila
im getting my computer this weekend or the next, and right now i'd say im 90% towards a mac, 10% towards a pc, any last arguments to get me to change my mind before i get one?

or any support for that choice?

blade995
[ Display Name History ]

blade995

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,897 posts

im getting my computer this weekend or the next, and right now i'd say im 90% towards a mac, 10% towards a pc, any last arguments to get me to change my mind before i get one?

Since you were pretty much convinced you were going to buy a Mac before even starting this thread there's no point and even stating arguments to change your mind.
Posted Image

dsavi
[ Display Name History ]

dsavi

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,868 posts

Also, if I was going to switch to a Mac, this would be another reason. I have yet to see any Windows equivalent. iWeb and iPhoto would be great for me.

A Windows equivalent? Don't look for a Windows equivalent, look for a Linux equivalent, and just download a Windows port. And to be honest, iWeb sucks. It only renders correctly in Safari, from what I've heard. (If you're wondering from who/where, it was my uncle who told me that, a big advocate of Mac OS X and programmer) And if you know what you're doing with GIMP you can do far, far more than iPhoto. People are so reluctant to learn anything these days.

C2b6gs7.png

Laura
[ Display Name History ]

Laura

Cor Aut Mors

• Members
  • 3,425 posts

Also, if I was going to switch to a Mac, this would be another reason. I have yet to see any Windows equivalent. iWeb and iPhoto would be great for me.

A Windows equivalent? Don't look for a Windows equivalent, look for a Linux equivalent, and just download a Windows port. And to be honest, iWeb sucks. It only renders correctly in Safari, from what I've heard. (If you're wondering from who/where, it was my uncle who told me that, a big advocate of Mac OS X and programmer) And if you know what you're doing with GIMP you can do far, far more than iPhoto. People are so reluctant to learn anything these days.

Well, the main point of buying one is that I don't. Making my own or using another 3rd party application to organize my photos using facial recognition would be tedious. I mean, I'm all for using cheaper software but using something like GIMP or photoshop is more technical than I want to go. I see that there are horror stories of using iWeb with IE, but it works with Firefox. I didn't compare to Linux either as that's not always a feasible option. For example, there are no Linux drivers for my wireless adapter, and I'm not going to kill myself looking for one.
Posted Image

Sbrideau
[ Display Name History ]

Sbrideau

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,387 posts
  • Location:Saint-Georges, Québec, Canada (very close to the Maine border)
  • RSN:Sbr

Technically a mac is a pc too, so you're 100% going for a pc :P

RSBDavid
[ Display Name History ]

RSBDavid

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,113 posts
  • RSN:Davidd

Mac - Good for media editing and presenting. Saves money on electricity.

Windows - Good for gaming and general use.

I have worked with both types of systems. A lot of bands use Mac with the software ProPresenter.

Posted Image

[Software Engineer] - [Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

compfreak847
[ Display Name History ]

compfreak847

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,686 posts

Mac - Good for media editing and presenting. Saves money on electricity.

Windows - Good for gaming and general use.

I have worked with both types of systems. A lot of bands use Mac with the software ProPresenter.

Mac really isn't that much better for presenting\editing. The CS4 suite covers most common editing needs, and PowerPoint 07 + Ovation is great for presenting.
Posted Image
Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29
GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots
Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users