You're NOT losing money

pureprayer

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The item is the same, wether one paid 2m or 40m for it, so theoritically, you did not lose anything. But practically, that's not how it goes, because one doesn't have an infinite amount of money. Buying too soon means overpaying because of the rarity at that time, so you do lose money.

That's not correct. Money is defined as "The most common medium of exchange; functions as legal tender". In this case, it's GP. So if GP goes down, money has gone. Right? Losing is defined as "No longer in your possession or control". So we no longer have as many GP, resulting in GP being lost.

Feel free to argue either of those two points, but stick to them. By the definition of money, GP is money; when the number of GP (money) assigned to an item by the RS community goes down, the money is no longer in your possession and by the definition, it has been lost.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

By the definition of money, GP is money; when the number of GP (money) assigned to an item by the RS community goes down, the money is no longer in your possession and by the definition, it has been lost.
Yeah, but we're not talking about money. A whip is a whip no matter how much you payed in the past. Such an item can not lose usefulness, just monetary value, and when you have no intention of parting with your whip for the decreased monetary value you can not have lost anything.

I love to meet people; send me a pm if you see me on RuneScape! :)

By the definition of money, GP is money; when the number of GP (money) assigned to an item by the RS community goes down, the money is no longer in your possession and by the definition, it has been lost.
Yeah, but we're not talking about money. A whip is a whip no matter how much you payed in the past. Such an item can not lose usefulness, just monetary value, and when you have no intention of parting with your whip for the decreased monetary value you can not have lost anything.

title is "you are not losing MONEY", so we are talking about money.

Talking about wether the whip has been useful or not is a very subjective thing. And even though I do agree that the davaluation of the whip is nothing compared to it's usefulness, were not talking about wether it's worth it or not. We are talking about wether you are losing money or not. It's difficult to explain to people as stubborn as you guys, especially if english isnt your native language.

I'll just keep it at what someone else has said already: your net worth goes down = you lose money.

Talking about wether the whip has been useful or not is a very subjective thing. And even though I do agree that the davaluation of the whip is nothing compared to it's usefulness, were not talking about wether it's worth it or not. We are talking about wether you are losing money or not. It's difficult to explain to people as stubborn as you guys, especially if english isnt your native language.

I'll just keep it at what someone else has said already: your net worth goes down = you lose money.

As long as you keep your whip at all times your not losing money.

If you sell it back for a "loss" of 10m you can buy another for 10m cheaper than you did before.

image.pl?URL=171577-4798

hatzyv.png

Pureprayer, you're awesome.

As long as you keep your whip at all times your not losing money.

If you sell it back for a "loss" of 10m you can buy another for 10m cheaper than you did before.

Repeating what you have said doesnt help...

You ARE losing money. Look up my reply on the first thread with the example I gave.

You keep whip: okay, but it's worth less than it was, so you've lost money. Simple as that.

And your argument that you can buy it back just as cheaply is just plain rubbish. I'll give an example:

I'm merching, and I have bought 50 masterwands for 1.7M each. They crash, cause they are pvp drops now, and they are only worth 1.3M each. I sell them, with a huge loss.

Then you come up and you say: "but hey, you can rebuy them just as cheap, so you didnt lose money". I'll kick you in your face. I do have effectively 20M less than before the whole story...

(ps: real story).

Repeating what you have said doesnt help...

You ARE losing money. Look up my reply on the first thread with the example I gave.

You keep whip: okay, but it's worth less than it was, so you've lost money. Simple as that.

And your argument that you can buy it back just as cheaply is just plain rubbish. I'll give an example:

I'm merching, and I have bought 50 masterwands for 1.7M each. They crash, cause they are pvp drops now, and they are only worth 1.3M each. I sell them, with a huge loss.

Then you come up and you say: "but hey, you can rebuy them just as cheap, so you didnt lose money". I'll kick you in your face. I do have effectively 20M less than before the whole story...

(ps: real story).

We aren't merchanting because in merchanting you buy and then sell 100% of the time. We are buying in which you buy sometimes sell and re buy again.

image.pl?URL=171577-4798

hatzyv.png

doesnt matter, same rules apply.

No, but I'm not sure how to make this more clear.

1. You spend 40m on a whip.

2. Whips drop to 2m.

3. You sell your whip for 2m, because that's its current monetary value. You have 38m less than before.

4. You repurchase your whip for 2m. You've lost nothing, as you haven't spent any additional money, and you still own your whip.

This is assuming you'd sell your whip in the first place, but I can't imagine why anybody would want to.

2. Whips drop to 2m.

3. You sell your whip for 2m, because that's its current monetary value. You have 38m less than before.

4. You repurchase your whip for 2m. You've lost nothing, as you haven't spent any additional money, and you still own your whip.

This is assuming you'd sell your whip in the first place, but I can't imagine why anybody would want to.

A whip is not money. Money:

1: something generally accepted as a medium of exchange, a measure of value, or a means of payment: as a: officially coined or stamped metal currency

Is a whip money? No. Is GP currency? Yes. If your whip can only be redeemed for a lesser amount of currency, has it lost money? Yes, it has.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/money

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

2. Whips drop to 2m.

You did loose something. Your whip is worth less. If you would have waited, and bought for 5m in stead of 40m, you'd have 35m more. I know where you are getting to , but you are wrong.

2. Whips drop to 2m.

You did loose something. Your whip is worth less. If you would have waited, and bought for 5m in stead of 40m, you'd have 35m more. I know where you are getting to , but you are wrong.

But if it takes a month or so to drop you are without a whip for a month.

This rant is all about people saying "Wow d sq dropped 1m in the few years I should rant about it" when it is a minor droppage and you didnt have a d sq in all thoes years.

I bet if you are skilled enough you could make an extra 35m in the 2 years whips were dropping if you only bought them an extra 35m.

image.pl?URL=171577-4798

hatzyv.png

2. Whips drop to 2m.

But if it takes a month or so to drop you are without a whip for a month.

This rant is all about people saying "Wow d sq dropped 1m in the few years I should rant about it" when it is a minor droppage and you didnt have a d sq in all thoes years.

I bet if you are skilled enough you could make an extra 35m in the 2 years whips were dropping if you only bought them an extra 35m.

What does that have anything to do with you losing money on the item? The value of the item has gone down, you have lost money because of it. That has nothing whatsoever to do with how much you've earned with the item :|

DeviledEgg24.png

YOUR LOSING NET WORTH AND MONEY, ARGUMENT ENDS HERE, THIS IS A STUPID THREAD.

Yes.

You could at least debate in a civil manner, this is inexcusable. If you think the thread is "stupid" don't participate on it.

What does that have anything to do with you losing money on the item? The value of the item has gone down, you have lost money because of it. That has nothing whatsoever to do with how much you've earned with the item :|
Just like you lose money off machine replacements for human jobs? A whip is a superior weapon, so you can earn money faster with it. You have to take that into account as well.

Back to the example, your whip's value is 2m only in the eyes of others, because that's what they'll pay for it. It's worth as much to you as it was the day you bought it, because only cost lowers, not value.

I'm not feeling up to par, so my wording isn't quite right, but I hope you catch my drift.

because only cost lowers, not value

Cost and value are the same thing in RS. An item's value is determined by the amount of GP\money attached to it, irregardless of the money you bought it for. Therefore, if that items value goes down, you have lost money. It does not matter how much you have earned with it.

This stuff is to smart for my brain to handle:D

Then why spam up this thread with worthless posts?

DeviledEgg24.png

Sorry if i sound like im repeating my self but... If your willing to shell out 40m for an item what difference does it make when that items 2m (assuming you did buy for 40m)

It means you can no longer exchange it for 38,000,000 of the monetary units assigned to the item, otherwise known as MONEY, and otherwise known as a LOSS.

Translation: You lost money.

DeviledEgg24.png

If you paid for something when it was worth 30M then that means it was worth 30M to you. If that price changes to 10M then how does that say it means 10M to you? It still means it is worth 30M to you, but 10M to everyone else. You could have bought 3 of them instead of one if you would have just waited. I still see that as losing 20M. Maybe since it was worth 30M at the time then he got the opportunity to use it while it was 30M, but when someone could have had the same opportunity and sold it when they saw it falling. That player would have kept 20M of their money.

Although I disagree with your main point, I'd have to say that I'd like seeing these thought-invoking threads more often. :)

I guess its more that they could have got a better deal.Its like me,one day dragon skirts were 200k the next they were 90k.I could have got a 110k deal.

devilgod.jpeg

so i herd u liek devarts?

If you look at me and feel offended by my 666-ism,think.I could be just as offended by your "cross".

[hide=This's why I'm hot]

The Eleventh Commandment:Thou Shalst only say "Amen,brother".

Amen, brother :lol:

Amen, brudda (referring to the 10th commandment)

amen Bruder! (german ftw)

I'm invulnerable to everything, except Lenin and Dragoonson.

That's impossible.

I love people.[/hide]

I bought full guthan's for 6.1m

I bought an amulet of fury for 3m.

I bought the unholy book page set for over 5m.

I bought a regen brace for 1.2m.

I bought a berserker ring for 2.5m.

I bought an archers ring for 1.3m.

All of these items have fallen. I've "lost" millions in my bank worth. But I don't care. I bought them to USE them, not to resell. I happily payed those prices for those items, because they are worth that much to me.

quit

I bought full guthan's for 6.1m

I bought an amulet of fury for 3m.

I bought the unholy book page set for over 5m.

I bought a regen brace for 1.2m.

I bought a berserker ring for 2.5m.

I bought an archers ring for 1.3m.

All of these items have fallen. I've "lost" millions in my bank worth. But I don't care. I bought them to USE them, not to resell. I happily payed those prices for those items, because they are worth that much to me.

You dont care, okay. I dont care either that my fury has fallen in price. That's not the point.

Cost and value are the same thing in RS. An item's value is determined by the amount of GP\money attached to it, irregardless of the money you bought it for. Therefore, if that items value goes down, you have lost money. It does not matter how much you have earned with it.

Many people are saying things along this line, but you mentioned it specifically so I qouted you. Put simply, this is wrong. Cost and value are not always the same thing, I tried to show you this with experience for skills in your rant but you never did manage to grasp it (although it is slightly different for skills). You may buy item X for 1mil, that does not mean you value it at 1mil though. Value is determined by how much you'd be willing to pay, not necessarily how much you do pay. Say you buy an item for 1mil, later it drops to 500k, does that mean you value that item to be worth 1mil? It may cost that, but that doesn't make its value.

I have an example of this from my experience. Of the three Saradomin Hilts I have gotten solo, I only sold two of them (one for 107m and the other for 45m). The first hilt I got I never sold, it was worth 112m average price on GE at the time. To me it was not worth selling. I personally valued it higher than what was in the GE. Does that mean if in the GE it was worth 400mil that I would have sold? Not necessarily. So at its current price of 45m average, does that mean it lost value? More specifically it has dropped 67mil since I got it, does that mean I lost 67mil? You could argue my banks net value dropped by that much, but that doesn't make a good argument. I never had any intention of selling it, and I consider it priceless. I hope that got my point across.

I believe this is the point Pureprayer is trying to get across. Your value of an item does not change simply because the price dropped/rose.

ydrasil.png

Many people are saying things along this line, but you mentioned it specifically so I qouted you. Put simply, this is wrong. Cost and value are not always the same thing, I tried to show you this with experience for skills in your rant but you never did manage to grasp it (although it is slightly different for skills). You may buy item X for 1mil, that does not mean you value it at 1mil though. Value is determined by how much you'd be willing to pay, not necessarily how much you do pay. Say you buy an item for 1mil, later it drops to 500k, does that mean you value that item to be worth 1mil? It may cost that, but that doesn't make its value.

I have an example of this from my experience. Of the three Saradomin Hilts I have gotten solo, I only sold two of them (one for 107m and the other for 45m). The first hilt I got I never sold, it was worth 112m average price on GE at the time. To me it was not worth selling. I personally valued it higher than what was in the GE. Does that mean if in the GE it was worth 400mil that I would have sold? Not necessarily. So at its current price of 45m average, does that mean it lost value? More specifically it has dropped 67mil since I got it, does that mean I lost 67mil? You could argue my banks net value dropped by that much, but that doesn't make a good argument. I never had any intention of selling it, and I consider it priceless. I hope that got my point across.

I believe this is the point Pureprayer is trying to get across. Your value of an item does not change simply because the price dropped/rose.

We seem to have two seperate arguments here:

#1: The item is still worth the same to you

#2: The item is still the same cash value (money).

#1 is correct; just because the amount of currency assigned to the item has dropped, it doesn't make it any less useful to you.

#2, however, is incorrect. As mentioned before, money is the cash value assigned to an item - if that cash value goes down, so does the money. As such, you have lost money.

DeviledEgg24.png