log out timer reset?

awesome400

Poll  

1. 1. Poll

Much worse. The only reason I can see for having 5 minutes instead of a minute and a half is AFKing. I can't think of a single activity that routinely takes over a minute 30 to complete, so the 'surfing the web' theory holds no water.

I think the new timer is great when you have to use the bathroom, get a drink or snack, post on the forum, or when my parents call me for something. I hated putting my password and PIN several times a day.

Posting on the forum shouldn't take 5 minutes. All the other examples are against the rules, which is why Jagex had it in the first place :|

http://www.runescape.com/kbase/view.ws? ... of_conduct

Mind showing me which rule afk fishing/wcing falls under?

As to the REASON it is being changed. It is because it is a (very) common request that it be made a bit longer, which we are responding to. The most common example of where this helps is if you are playing the game and doing something else at the same time. For example say you have your character cutting down a tree, and are also reading the RuneScape forums (keeping a careful eye on your other window to watch for random events, but not interacting with it), at the moment after 90 seconds of forum reading the other window will suddenly logout, which is annoying. So it's upped to 5 minutes now.

I agree that having the timer increased to 5 minutes is very nice, for for all reasons already mentioned. :)

Gladly.

http://www.runescape.com/p=kKmok3kJqOeN6D3mDdihco3oPeYN2KFy6W5--vZUbNA/kbase/viewarticle.ws?article_id=2077#afk

AFK training is Away From Keyboard training. While you are playing on our games, you must be at the computer. Away from keyboard training is not allowed, and you should log out when you leave the computer.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

Much worse. The only reason I can see for having 5 minutes instead of a minute and a half is AFKing. I can't think of a single activity that routinely takes over a minute 30 to complete, so the 'surfing the web' theory holds no water.

I think the new timer is great when you have to use the bathroom, get a drink or snack, post on the forum, or when my parents call me for something. I hated putting my password and PIN several times a day.

Posting on the forum shouldn't take 5 minutes. All the other examples are against the rules, which is why Jagex had it in the first place :|

"Shouldn't" is such a subjective term.

Oh and that rule is for macroing... not for getting drinks. Dork is right. They said "most common example" which implies that it is not the only example. The reason they have rules is to prevent detrimental outcomes for the game. What negative effect does me getting a drink and not logging out have?

To say it's against the rules is to say that, even if your house is burning down and you need to get out of there, you must log out of RS before you leave the computer or else you're going to get a black mark. Don't you think that's a bit absurd? AFK Training was placed under the Macroing Rule for a reason.

PS: This post took longer than 90 seconds to type up.

I'd much prefer it if we could manually change it ourselves.

Meaning, if you wanted to be auto logged after 1 minute and 30 seconds, you could set it to do so.

And, if you watned the 5 minutes you just left it.

I know, in some cases I prefer the 1 minute and 30 seconds timer. Sometimes when I lose connection (I lose connection every few seconds past 6pm) I think it'll log me off so I switch to tif or something, but then a few minutes later I click back and realise I'm still in-game. What if a random got me? :(

I believe they still have the 60 second (or 90, cant remember) log out timer due to connection loss.

Yes, they do. And it's 30 seconds. But I meant like whne I lose connection and then it reconnects.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

"Shouldn't" is such a subjective term.

Oh and that rule is for macroing... not for getting drinks. Dork is right. They said "most common example" which implies that it is not the only example. The reason they have rules is to prevent detrimental outcomes for the game. What negative effect does me getting a drink and not logging out have?

To say it's against the rules is to say that, even if your house is burning down and you need to get out of there, you must log out of RS before you leave the computer or else you're going to get a black mark. Don't you think that's a bit absurd? AFK Training was placed under the Macroing Rule for a reason.

PS: This post took longer than 90 seconds to type up.

While you are playing on our games, you must be at the computer.

Very simple. There's no discreet AFK rule, so they placed it under the macroing section, where it is most common. For posts that take over a minute and a half, it's very simple to keep RS in the corner and click once every minute and a half.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

Any longer than 5 minutes, and I would have been against the update, but 5 minutes seems just right. It's no longer something that is constantly in the back of your head while doing something else at the same time as being logged in to RS, whatever it is, but it is still a functional logout timer.

agree

Pit_Guardian.png

Gamertag: EFs Predator.

Games I play: Halo 3, Halo wars.

Very simple. There's no discreet AFK rule, so they placed it under the macroing section, where it is most common.

Exactly, while you are playing on their games. In other words, don't have programs play the game for you while you're away hence the term "Away From Keyboard Training". When you are getting a drink you are not training or playing. Your character is either idle or fishing/woodcutting, which is the equivalent of you having a different window open.

Maybe we should message a mod and ask them if it's allowable to get a drink, otherwise we're just gonna have a back-and-forth argument about semantics.

For posts that take over a minute and a half, it's very simple to keep RS in the corner and click once every minute and a half.

Or to make things simpler, Jagex could have increased the timer to satisfy their players' requests which is why they did that.

Really, Really? :roll: Perhaps you've never experienced whacking at a magic tree or a rock without getting anything? Once took me over 50 hits to get a piece of addy :-) Personally I am thrilled with the new timer. I can actually enjoy fishing, wcing, fletching, now, whilst catching up with the forums.

Tishala.png

I dont think it reset. i tried it just now...

To be honest 5 minutes is great for me because i wont need full concentration on the game. Those 5 minutes allows you to freely surf the web and do homework etc. For those complaining about the afk trainers: 5 min can only do so much :roll: seriously afk training rules were meant for no person to leave an account over nights training a skill. 5 min is a great update and it doesnt require ur full attention on runescape. u can now surf the web, facebook anything u want.

Very simple. There's no discreet AFK rule, so they placed it under the macroing section, where it is most common.

Exactly, while you are playing on their games. In other words, don't have programs play the game for you while you're away hence the term "Away From Keyboard Training". When you are getting a drink you are not training or playing. Your character is either idle or fishing/woodcutting, which is the equivalent of you having a different window open.

Maybe we should message a mod and ask them if it's allowable to get a drink, otherwise we're just gonna have a back-and-forth argument about semantics.

For posts that take over a minute and a half, it's very simple to keep RS in the corner and click once every minute and a half.

Or to make things simpler, Jagex could have increased the timer to satisfy their players' requests which is why they did that.

Yeah, it's more of a semantics argument; but 'you must be at the computer when playing' has to mean the latter; obviously your not going to physically be playing it while away from it!

Really, Really? :roll: Perhaps you've never experienced whacking at a magic tree or a rock without getting anything? Once took me over 50 hits to get a piece of addy :-) Personally I am thrilled with the new timer. I can actually enjoy fishing, wcing, fletching, now, whilst catching up with the forums.

Nope, never had a piece of addy take over 90 seconds. I would probably train mining some more if it took that long :wall:

Few trees last over a minute and a half, and like I said before - KEEP THE WINDOW IN THE CORNER. The VAST majority of those who the rule actually benefits are simply leaving the computer and AFKing.

DeviledEgg24.png