log out timer reset?

awesome400

Poll  

1. 1. Poll

was the log out timer reset to the original time because i know it logged me out after 1:30 (solved a rubiks cube w/ 15s inspection)

do you think it is better or for worse having the original timer (is 5min too much)

1100 total achieved 03/02/09 880thousandth to reach it :P

1200 total achieved 29/09/11 1.23millionth to reach it :P

awesome_600.png

Much worse. The only reason I can see for having 5 minutes instead of a minute and a half is AFKing. I can't think of a single activity that routinely takes over a minute 30 to complete, so the 'surfing the web' theory holds no water.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

(solved a rubiks cube w/ 15s inspection)

Okay first thing: you can make a topic without bragging.

Now on topic: This may sound odd but I think Runescape seconds are wacked up. seriously, they seem to go by a lot faster than real seconds. So when jagex says "5 minutes," they could mean something even as short as "2.5 minutes."

dangsig.png

By popular demand, this signature is back- however I currently do not have a blog up at the moment and if I did I wouldn't update it. Sorry, the sig links to nowhere :( .

Now on topic: This may sound odd but I think Runescape seconds are wacked up. seriously, they seem to go by a lot faster than real seconds. So when jagex says "5 minutes," they could mean something even as short as "2.5 minutes."

I just timed it because i had to go afk anyway. Clicked once in rs, started a 5 min timer and went to get a drink etc, when i came back there was one min left so i waited a bit more and when the timer had run out, i didnt get logged out. 10 seconds later it happened though. So its 5 real minutes and not 5 jagex minutes.

Yeah, RS's 'seconds' are definitely not the same as the seconds irl.

And tbh, a 5 minute log out timer is pretty much good enough. Any longer and you'd get even more worried about dying from an attacking random while watching YouTube. Any shorter and it'd get annoying after all the log ins and entering the bank PINs.

zBSYE.png

^ Blog.

Zh0c4.gif

And tbh, a 5 minute log out timer is pretty much good enough. Any longer and you'd get even more worried about dying from an attacking random while watching YouTube. Any shorter and it'd get annoying after all the log ins and entering the bank PINs.

You cant do much about RS seconds. The game is java based, so the variable can only be changed once per process. If I recall the process speed on one of my programs is about 560ms, so the timer would be doubled, and theoretically be 5 minutes. There is also the matter of sending the idle packet, the time it takes the client to process your idle to send the packet, and then the sending of the kill command, receiving the confirmation, and then logging you out. Its BOUND to be more than 5 minutes...just stop complaining.

blood_argon.gif

99 Crafting :: 39,750th || 99 Attack :: 1,775th

[hide=]

You cant do much about RS seconds. The game is java based, so the variable can only be changed once per process. If I recall the process speed on one of my programs is about 560ms, so the timer would be doubled, and theoretically be 5 minutes. There is also the matter of sending the idle packet, the time it takes the client to process your idle to send the packet, and then the sending of the kill command, receiving the confirmation, and then logging you out. Its BOUND to be more than 5 minutes...just stop complaining.

[/hide]

(I hope that last part wasn't directed at me. :? )

zBSYE.png

^ Blog.

Zh0c4.gif

I'd much prefer it if we could manually change it ourselves.

Meaning, if you wanted to be auto logged after 1 minute and 30 seconds, you could set it to do so.

And, if you watned the 5 minutes you just left it.

I know, in some cases I prefer the 1 minute and 30 seconds timer. Sometimes when I lose connection (I lose connection every few seconds past 6pm) I think it'll log me off so I switch to tif or something, but then a few minutes later I click back and realise I'm still in-game. What if a random got me? :(

RIP Michaelangelopolous

I can't think of a single activity that routinely takes over a minute 30 to complete, so the 'surfing the web' theory holds no water.

Mining rune before the timer was reset sometimes took so long that I got logged out.

Yesterday it didn't seem like it had changed back.

sigh.png

That's wrong. The timer is very trustworthy. For example, my bank pin was reset after axactly 3 days on the exact minute (cause I got hacked I had to reset my pin). Same goes with lending. Never felt like the timer does the wrong thing.

[404] Signature not found.

[hide=]

[/hide]

(I hope that last part wasn't directed at me. :? )

It was directed at all the people above complaining about how "rs seconds go a tiny bit faster than normal seconds"

In the end, what does it matter? Its all relative anyway? Everything in the game runs on RS seconds; combat, skills, etc. So if the game time is off in real life, the action time is too, but its counter-balanced, if you get what Im saying.

blood_argon.gif

99 Crafting :: 39,750th || 99 Attack :: 1,775th

That's wrong. The timer is very trustworthy. For example, my bank pin was reset after axactly 3 days on the exact minute (cause I got hacked I had to reset my pin). Same goes with lending. Never felt like the timer does the wrong thing.

They might be the "fast seconds" you see in the party room, and there's 100 quick seconds to every minute. Just for the logout timer. :-k

Tbfgraphx14

Happy to find I'm not the only one who eats glass.

Much worse. The only reason I can see for having 5 minutes instead of a minute and a half is AFKing. I can't think of a single activity that routinely takes over a minute 30 to complete, so the 'surfing the web' theory holds no water.

Fishing can easily take over a minute 30 :P

4455.jpg

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Oscar Wilde

I'd much prefer it if we could manually change it ourselves.

Meaning, if you wanted to be auto logged after 1 minute and 30 seconds, you could set it to do so.

And, if you watned the 5 minutes you just left it.

I know, in some cases I prefer the 1 minute and 30 seconds timer. Sometimes when I lose connection (I lose connection every few seconds past 6pm) I think it'll log me off so I switch to tif or something, but then a few minutes later I click back and realise I'm still in-game. What if a random got me? :(

I believe they still have the 60 second (or 90, cant remember) log out timer due to connection loss.

Something.png

I think the new timer is great when you have to use the bathroom, get a drink or snack, post on the forum, or when my parents call me for something. I hated putting my password and PIN several times a day.

I think the new timer is great when you have to use the bathroom, get a drink or snack, post on the forum, or when my parents call me for something. I hated putting my password and PIN several times a day.

Posting on the forum shouldn't take 5 minutes. All the other examples are against the rules, which is why Jagex had it in the first place :|

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

Posting on the forum shouldn't take 5 minutes. All the other examples are against the rules, which is why Jagex had it in the first place :|

http://www.runescape.com/kbase/view.ws? ... of_conduct

Mind showing me which rule afk fishing/wcing falls under?

As to the REASON it is being changed. It is because it is a (very) common request that it be made a bit longer, which we are responding to. The most common example of where this helps is if you are playing the game and doing something else at the same time. For example say you have your character cutting down a tree, and are also reading the RuneScape forums (keeping a careful eye on your other window to watch for random events, but not interacting with it), at the moment after 90 seconds of forum reading the other window will suddenly logout, which is annoying. So it's upped to 5 minutes now.

I agree that having the timer increased to 5 minutes is very nice, for for all reasons already mentioned. :)

Dork.jpeg

Sig And Avatar by Tripsis - 99 Slayer Blog - My Pyramid Plunder Guide

Owner of Fire Cape since 28-09-2005 - 426th to 99 Strength

Any longer than 5 minutes, and I would have been against the update, but 5 minutes seems just right. It's no longer something that is constantly in the back of your head while doing something else at the same time as being logged in to RS, whatever it is, but it is still a functional logout timer.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

I think it was mostly included to fight a specific macro. It's break handler just stops the script and let Runescape log itself out after 90 seconds. (Why they didn't make it to log out I have no idea) The break handler also kill the anti random scripts so if the bot waits around for 5 minutes with no anti randoms each time it takes a break it's going to be pretty vulnerable to bans. Since people have to fix it themselves (nobody is working on it) it's going to catch a lot of those who don't know how to do it.

*off topic: I'm back from the US*