Dawn of War 2

Brad25891

Poll  

1. 1. Poll

As I've seen from many different signatures, There are a few people that like DoW here so I thought I would make a post about the new game.

http://www.dawnofwar2.com/

[hide=Short introduction to the game]Developed by award winning Relic Entertainment, Dawn of War II ushers in a new chapter in the acclaimed RTS series taking players to the brutal frontlines of war to lead an elite strike force on a mission to save the Galaxy.

Its the 41st Millennium in the Sub-Sector Aurelia a cluster of worlds on the edge of the Galaxy where a battle of epic proportions is about to commence. Ancient races will clash across the planets that dot this section of space, battling for the greatest of stakes not only the claim to the land and its bounty - but the fate of each race.

With a focus on fast-action RTS gameplay, Dawn of War II brings to life the science fiction universe of Warhammer 40,000 like never before. Experience the intimate brutality of battle as you play through the epic campaign. Clash with enemies on battlefields ablaze with visceral hand-to-hand and ranged combat. Lead and develop your squads into the most battle hardened elite strike force in the Galaxy.[/hide]

So has anyone downloaded the beta yet? I'm currently getting it now, Tyranids should be fun to play :D

starscapeyp6.jpg

Deviant Art Account

2 Signatures | 6 Photographs | 1 Other

Beta's out? DoW2 looks good, and it'll be interesting to see the way they're doing squad-based gameplay instead of the previous style. But I already have tyranids in Dark Crusade. Complete with nie-unstoppable Trygon ;) Plus, there's no Chaos. What?

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

To get beta you must have soulstorm, open beta will be available on the 28th.

I'm guessing they will release other races slowly into the game like they did with DoW Vanilla. I don't like the fact that you can only play with SM in campaign but im sure that will change with expansion packs.

edit: Nevermind.. somehow i misunderstood :D

Non-Linear Single Player Campaign - Command an elite strike force, choosing from a variety of playable races and play through that race's unique storyline, developing the skills and abilities of your squads and commander as you progress through the game.

starscapeyp6.jpg

Deviant Art Account

Ah, I don't have Soulstorm. Guess that's a problem. So how's the beta? Anything really different from the original?

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

angel2w.gif

Sort of...

There aren't really bases anymore, the combat is a lot more squad-based and tactical. No more spamming and rushing, you have to try to think.

The squad setup is the same style, with upgrades and stuff. It's pretty hard to explain. It's a lot different than DoW but I don't know if it's better or not :P

starscapeyp6.jpg

Deviant Art Account

Is there any word on the skirmishes? And how you replace fallen warriors? And how do you get the tyranids in the Dark Crusade?

Unfinished netherrack symbol of Khorne.

Never forget. ~creeper face w/single tear~

DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES TOO?!?!

I hope they steer away from Dark Crusade/Soustorm style campain, while it was fun to controll the map.

It got really old really quickly, that and not completing battles so you could have some sort of defense; so when the big bad sup'ed up enemy honor guard started to roll towards you, you wouldn't get swarmed rushed into oblivion

Is there any word on the skirmishes? And how you replace fallen warriors? And how do you get the tyranids in the Dark Crusade?

tyranid mod. Look it up, it;s for Soulstorm, too. It's awesomeness.

And no mob rushing? Good, that's always what kills me in skirmish mode nowadays. I think I have anough forces, and attack a strategic point, only to find that my enemy has a huge mob, repels my attack, and proceeds to march on my base. Though a lack of zerg rushing makes me wonder why they chose tyranids now...my understanding was that they relied on huge swarms.

whalenuke.png

angel2w.gif

I'm pretty sure theres gonna be skirmishes with AI computer players.

You replace fallen warriors by making more squads

See above for dark crusade info.

Strategic points are now exactly that... If you are playing a team game (3vs3 for example) and one of you catches a strategic point, then each member of your team will gain the requisition bonus. The more strategic points you have, the better your team will do. It seems like a constant battle for strategic points untill you feel strong enough to take down the enemy HQ (Anihilate (Sp?)) but i prefer the take and hold missions with the new squad based combat.

Basically there are an odd number of capture points and you must fight to hold them, the more you hold, the faster you will drain your opponents points (you start on 500 each). It just seems a lot more tactical and it fits the new playstyle perfectly.

I'm not sure about the campaign, Aparently theres going to be some sort of loot + level system as you progress through the game (sound familiar? (WC3)) and aparently theres one for each faction and the campaign will be non linear. I really hope they don't do the same as DC and SS though cause the campaigns got a bit stale after a while.

starscapeyp6.jpg

Deviant Art Account

Open beta is now live (as of 28th) go download the demo and share views!

So... the PC Gamer review was kind of disapointing and excitifying at the same time. The main point it has is, it's improved everything that soulstorm had, but everything it has now could have been better, and it's not as good as the original game. Theres only one campaign which is space marines. There is a total of 6 squads to choose from throughout the game, you can have 4 at any one point in a mission. It follows a very RPG based levelling and loot system, although differences aren't really significant. Missions are very similar with defence missions, killing waves of enemys, or go kill waves of enemy units and then kill the end boss, or alternatively, plot critical missions which involve yet more defence/attack missions or capturing a quest objective.

Although they did give it 82% although numbers mean nothing when coming to reviews. Basically the summery of the review is a nice RTS with great RPG elements. Relic tried too hard to overhaul the strategy and basically it hasn't really worked.

Although I don't usually tend to trust all reviews and regardless of this one, I'm definately going to still buy this game :)

starscapeyp6.jpg

Deviant Art Account

FOR [bleep]S SAKE

WINDOWS LIVE IS A PIECE OF [cabbage]. END OF.

I cant play the beta because I cant sign in to live because I cant create a live account because it wont let me register any of my email adresses. WHY THE [bleep] WOULD I WANT AN XBOX LIVE ACCOUNT YOU [developmentally delayed]ED PIECE OF [cabbage]. I'M PLAYING ON A PC. THROUGH [bleep]ING STEAM. THERE IS NO. NEED. FOR. THIS. [cabbage].

oh well, another game RUINED.

Tk5SF.png

I've heard reports that the Tyranids feel lacking with such tiny squads, like you're playing with something that looks like a tyranid but really isn't, mostly because of said tiny squads. Anyone who played the demo find this to be true?

Because let me tell you what, the Tyranid mod in DoW1 gives the kind of indominatable horde you would expect a Tyranid invasion force to feel like. Like orks times 20. And probably the main reason I want DoWII is for an official Tyranid use in DoW, the new mechanics, too, but mostly tyranid, so a non-tyranid experience would be a major setback.

And no Chaos. That is also a setback for me.

whalenuke.png

angel2w.gif

How can the world exist with a lack of blood for the Blood God?

I can see how the Chaos would be cut though, in vanilla DoW they were nearly SM clones, the berkserkers helped in WA, and they started to get their originalty by DC, but they were still kinda clones, but with much much better spoken lines.

I know they sorta are 'clones' to the SM, but with the other factions playing very differently from each other, while the Chaos and SM felt similar in play style.

How can the world exist with a lack of blood for the Blood God?

I can see how the Chaos would be cut though, in vanilla DoW they were nearly SM clones, the berkserkers helped in WA, and they started to get their originalty by DC, but they were still kinda clones, but with much much better spoken lines.

I know they sorta are 'clones' to the SM, but with the other factions playing very differently from each other, while the Chaos and SM felt similar in play style.

It's the same as in tabletop.

Chaos Marines have always been exactly like Space Marines, except with lower tech, more melee focus and OMG DAEMONS.

I think the game is very meh, it's like

Company of heroes - Where DOW2 should be - Where dow2 is now - Where dow1 is

Company of heroes has a great engine and gameplay, why not use it?

They sort of tried it, they tried tying in the company of heroes squadbased gameplay but then added a whole lot of other stuff which didn't make it work as good as it could have worked. Don't get me wrong, it looks like an awesome game, but it could have been much better by the looks of things.

starscapeyp6.jpg

Deviant Art Account