Computer Compat/Graphics Card/diminishing returns

Deathmath

PCI slots (and other ones- PCI-E, AGP etc) are expansion slots, you plug in the peripherals like sound cards, graphics cards, usb expansion cards, wifi cards and like into them. They fit perpendicular to your motherboard, and the part you plug stuff into fits into the back, outside of your case, just below the I/O section (where you plug your keyboard, ethernet, some usb's into and stuff).

PCI-E is the current release, if you like, the fastest, most up to date one. The one before is PCI, that's still very common on lots of motherboards, and before that it is AGP. You'll be most likely to find a mix of these 3 types on the majority of low to mid end motherboards.

You can easily tell how many and what type of expansion slot you have.

Look at the image below, around the bottom left of the motherboard are several long thin slots, these are pci and pci-e slots.

The 3 white ones are PCI, notice the length compared to the other ones and also the separators along the length.

The blue and black ones are PCI-E, notice they are longer and have different separators compared to the the PCI slots. Also, most PCI-E slots (that I've seen, anyway) have a little thing at the end that helps secure the card.

Inserting the cards is as easy as lining up the bottom slot and pushing it in so it fits, then screwing in the face plate so it sits sturdy in the case.

[hide=]motherboard.jpg[/hide]

spacescenev24.jpg

I would get a USB wireless adapter instead of a card. Putting another PCI card into a case along with a sound card and video card is going to be a pain. The USB adapters work fine too (Cost about $35-$40 for a good one).

kk, what part has USB ports on it. -.-

The mobo Im pretty sure and some cases come with a few usb ports.

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

Might i suggest paying a store to build it for you?

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

Might i suggest paying a store to build it for you?

NEVA. I'm still looking stuff up, if it looks too daunting I'll do that.

Thoroughly retired, may still write now and again

It's not difficult, the only thing that isn't just plug in and go is the application of thermal paste to the cpu, but that isn't exactly rocket science.

You'll need your motherboard's manual, it should be a big fold out piece of paper with an annotated picture of your mobo with all the parts. The trickiest part there is locating and inserting the front case panel wires, they are tiny, and very fiddley. That's pretty much it though.

spacescenev24.jpg

• 1 month later...

I'm just looking at it and wondering: would it be at all worth it to build like a $400 comp and then get another one cause i"m looking at it and wndering what kind of performance idfferences you are getting.

Thoroughly retired, may still write now and again

That depends. If you're interested in top performance now and possibly low performance later, go with the higher end PC now. If you're looking for decent, consistent performance, get the $400 machine now and get another later. Keep in mind, if you do that, you can reuse some parts. IE, same case, same PSU (provided they don't die). Depending on the size of hard drive you get now, you may be safe using it again in a few years.

A lot of it depends on how long you plan on using the high end machine. At the low end of your spectrum, if you use it for 3 years before buying another high end, get the high end PC. At the high end, if you use it for 7 years before allotting more cash for a new PC, you might be better off with the $400 machine.