Runescape God Mythology

sphinxor86

I had no idea I was gonna open such a can of worms!!

This is the reason we need a comprehensive "bible" for RS.

The biggest problem here is that a lot of our information is somewhat speculative. We get little tidbits in quests and such things, and people start rumors about what they mean, until eventually people don't realize it wasn't true. Then we end up with different sites having conflicting information, and yadda yadda yadda. It would be nice if Jagex set up the Knowledge base so that new sections unlock as you complete quests, miniquests, etc. That way we would have info directly from the source, rather than just what we've managed to piece together for ourselves.

[hide]

Damnit, I tripped over Magzar's half inflated blow-up doll and hurt myself. I wish he wouldn't leave that thing lying around. -.-

[/hide]

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The mahjaraat can't die anyway. Hence the age of the Strange Old Man. And the one near the Kalphite Dungeon.... whyever not, we have a desert pantheon anyway. Also, my comprehensive list is *not* meant to be only Gods- if it were, I'd not have listed the Maharajaat.

runescapess162607v.jpg

Dragon drops: Half shield(cs), med helm(cs) Chainbody (cs) (I do a lot of monster hunting with my clan!

Barrows: Guthan's plateboy [1]

GWD: None yet, only done a few trips

Others: I'd love to be able to let you know.

GentleAura.png

I could've sworn the guy who gave the Barrows brothers their powers was Sliske, the so-called "serpent-tongued." And I can't go into it all, but I think Jagex in a way confirmed, through an Azzanadra letter in PBFTH that we haven't seen Sliske yet. That and coupled with his description of one who delves into the shadows, I'm pretty sure the Strange Old Man isn't Sliske.

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

The biggest problem here is that a lot of our information is somewhat speculative. We get little tidbits in quests and such things, and people start rumors about what they mean, until eventually people don't realize it wasn't true. Then we end up with different sites having conflicting information, and yadda yadda yadda. It would be nice if Jagex set up the Knowledge base so that new sections unlock as you complete quests, miniquests, etc. That way we would have info directly from the source, rather than just what we've managed to piece together for ourselves.

I would argue also that it's fun to speculate.

runescapess162607v.jpg

Dragon drops: Half shield(cs), med helm(cs) Chainbody (cs) (I do a lot of monster hunting with my clan!

GentleAura.png

How do u know that Guthix created Seren? How do u know that Marimbo didn't create vampires? This is my speculation, and it could be valid, unlikely to be, but possible. ;)

It's Easter Time!!!!!!!! Yay!!!!!! Chocolate eggs and ... wait? Bunnys? Nooooooo!!!!!! Why couldn't they take the rabbits?!? Why??????????

Bunnys186.png

I would argue also that it's fun to speculate.

It certainly is. It's difficult however, to make a comprehensive compilation of runescape lore and history, using speculative data.

Bunny:

I don't know of any evidence supporting Seren being created by Guthix, but I think it's pretty safe to say that Marimbo certainly did not create the Vyre.

[hide]

Damnit, I tripped over Magzar's half inflated blow-up doll and hurt myself. I wish he wouldn't leave that thing lying around. -.-

[/hide]

Actually, that was simply an idea I came up with for a story I was writing on the Runescape Official Forums :lol: but... it could be open to speculation.... not a very great idea, but for my story I had Marimbo, Guthix, and Seren and Seren had the elf land, Guthix had the human land in the middle, and Marimbo had islands... but I had another land to fill.... so, I had to make something up... :lol:

It's Easter Time!!!!!!!! Yay!!!!!! Chocolate eggs and ... wait? Bunnys? Nooooooo!!!!!! Why couldn't they take the rabbits?!? Why??????????

Bunnys186.png

I thought Marimbo was a relatively new god? Or at least the city devoted to him was built only recently.

And no, he didn't create the Vampires. There has yet to be anything in game the game saying he didn't, but I'm telling you right now, no.

No! Bad Runescaper! No!

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

I agree, the idea of the Vampires being created by Marimbo, whose mind is concerned with a small island far to the south-east, is laughable.

runescapess162607v.jpg

GentleAura.png

• 5 months later...

This was an entry to the wikipedia that I saved before it was removed.

It is believed that Saradomin is a holy and righteous God, whose intentions are for the good of RuneScape, but his teachings are often misinterpreted. Saradomin's followers seek to create ultimate order; smiting, exile and murder are three very Saradominist ways of disposing of the enemy. Followers of Saradomin also attempt to hide and destroy traces of other Gods such as the complete destruction of the memory of Zaros who has only been known of by the few Mahjarrat, the bandits of the desert, and archeologists who have recently unearthed the remains of his temple.

Zamorak is a Mahjarrat who overthrew Zaros and became a God. It is often presumed he is the God of Evil, or unholy but he is actually the God of Chaos. He became a god by convincing his fellow Mahjarrat to follow him and capturing the 'Staff of Armadyl'. The staff was then imbued with more power by a Mahjarrat named Lucien. Zamorak then led his followers in a revolt against Zaros and impaled Zaros on the staff. Later, Zamorak returned having drained some of Zaros' power to make himself a God.

Guthix is claimed to be the God of Balance and is largely neutral. It (for Guthix can become either a he or a she at will) is often disputed as the most powerful non-elder God due to his control over nature. It seeks to maintain the current balance of the world by aiding whichever side needs his aid. Druids who worship Guthix are normally used as diplomats or people who aid in negotiating a fair arrangement. Guthix has a large level of power in the world as he leaves various guardians who reveal more about him and who protect great powers from falling into either side. Juna the Giant Snake guards the Tears of Guthix (Rocks that 'weep' and the tears are imbued with great power), however, she will allow adventurers to collect some in exchange for a good story. Fiara the Giant Earwig guards the Fist of Guthix and allows adventurers to capture it's energy in stones. The Balance Elemental guards the stone of Jas (an incredibly powerful energy source) and unlike Juna or Fiara, will not willingly allow adventurers near it. Guthix also is used to represent nature and it is supposedly its power that brought an end to the catastrophic God Wars that nearly destroyed Gielinor in the Third age. Guthix forced the Gods to obey the Guthixian edicts in order to prevent another war. Guthix's followers include humans (because Guthix originally brought humans to Gielinor), gnomes who live with nature and possibly dwarves. Currently, Guthix is asleep below the Earth. Guthix's name appears in the first "Grandmaster quest" of Runescape. The edicts are disliked by the war mongering worshippers and it is shown in the Legacy of Seergaze quest that some Zamorakians and Saradomists seek their destruction and are willing to set aside their differences to destroy them.

Zaros is known as the Dread lord and originally ruled over a large empire with the Mahjarrat as his followers. Zamorak betrayed him and defeated him using the staff of armadyl. Without his power, the empire fell into decline and was crushed by the Saradomists. Zaros's followers are few and far between now. Zaros has a magical style known as the ancient magicks.

There are other Gods as well. Armadyl is a lesser known God whose worshippers and guardians live in an underground location protecting the "Staff of Armadyl" from a species called the Mahjarrat. Armadyl himself is claimed to have fled Gielinor after his prized children, The Aviansies were destroyed in the God wars

The desert Gods consist of Tumeken, husband of Elidiness and King of the desert Gods, Elidiness, Goddess of the Elid river and primarily worshipped in Nardah, Ichtlarin, a jackal headed God worshipped in Menaphos and Sophanem and son of Tumeken and Elidiness; Amascut (The devourer), an Goddess who tricks adventurers into tomb robbing due to her jealousy of her brother and daughter of Tumeken and Elidiness. The dream Gods are those created by Tumeken in his dreams. One the first day he created Het out of a man to show his people to take care of their own physical well-being. The second day he created Apmeken out of sociable monkey as an example for people to follow social pleasures. The third day he created Crondis out a crocodile as an example for people to not over indulge and eat what they need. The fourth day he created Scarabas as an example for those not to stray to far into solitude. Ichtlarin is directly opposed to the Amascut. He also ruled over the Mahjarrat until they decided Zaros better suited them.

The Goblin's God is usually referred to as the "Big High War God". According to Goblin myths, the God travelled and searched for various races to follow him. Eventually, he came across the Goblins. The actual name for this God is Bandos, and his followers also include Orks and Giants.

The Goddess Seren is the goddess of crystal. She is worshipped by Elves and was the first to bring her followers to Gielinor.

The elder Gods are briefly mentioned in the "Meeting History" quest. They are the Gods that allegedly created Runescape out of sacred clay (some people say it was Guthix but that could be unlikey). It is disputed among some players in role playing worlds as to whether Zaros was an elder God.

The mahjarrat are not Gods despite their power. However, they are the only race to have one of their own ascned to godliness.[/size][/size]

Misk Wisk

According to gnomes in one of the Glouphrie-related quests, don't remember which one, Seren is a manifestation of the Anima Mundi, the world soul.

I think she is an ally to Guthix.

Zaros was not the old god of Chaos, Zemouregal himself says that Zemouregal "could never understand the path of chaos". He was more of a Lawful Evil guy, one of the reasons Zamorak wanted to overthrow him, since Zamorak prefers chaos.

Even though Zamorak and Saradomin are seen as "The evil guy" and "the good guy", Zamorak have lots of good followers ( remember Wanted! quest when Lord Daquarius would kill himself to save his soldiers?) and Saradomin has a lot of evil followers ( H.A.M cult).

Marimbo used to be a pet of a god, who found a wierd potion in his Master's stuff, drank it, and when drinking it he became very wise, and brought the monkeys to Ape Atoll. I think this is a metaphor, and he infact found the Stone of Jas, touched it, and became a powerful and smart monkey, and brought monkeys to the island.

If you pay attention, Zaros seemed to be a pretty evil and cruel guy even to his own followers, and that Mahjarrat were his slaves to quote Lenissa and Viggora in Ghostly robes miniquest :

But anyway, it had become to my attention that the Mahjarrat who had been liberated from the control of Icthlarin did not much appreciate one form of slavery to another, and under the leadership of the mighty Zamorak were making plans to overthrow their master and take his power for themselves.

If it was the death curse of the Empty Lord, there may be no way to break it.

If it was not his death curse, and he is still alive but not on this world, then the only way to break it may be to bring him back here;

But I would rather stay here cursed than suffer under his rule again

about bandos' power....

in the last quest(the chosen commander) it seems that bandos isn't quite as powerful as you'd think a god would be. even some of his creations are more powerfull than his avatar; despite the fact that he used almost all of his (remaining?) power to create the pendant. in my opinion this can be explained in 2 ways..

Bandos didn't create any races, he was a war god who attempted to recruit various races, and was only accepted by the least intelligent and most brutish and violent (Goblins, Ogres, etc).

It's very possible that, as far as power goes, Bandos may be on the lower end of the spectrum. He appears to be more akin to the bully who is only powerful because he has strong followers.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

Wow, how come I didn't notice this topic for so long? This is great!

As with all RuneScape lore, nobody has it right all the time. Not even me, with my fancy 'historian' title. Lore and information is perceived differently by different people, and sometimes even the lore itself isn't consistent. But if we place the facts next to each other we can at least know what is right and what is wrong. I won't sum up every fact of every God right now, instead I will talk and speculate a little about the main Gods. So these are not all facts.

I agree with Rien_Adelric when he says the gods probably aren't purely what their 'element' says they are. Saradomin for example has a strong preference for Order, but that doesn't stop him from being much more, doing much more. And even in that area of order, there are gradients. I can see Armadyl, as the god of Justice, prefering order above chaos too, although on the other hand, what is fairer than chaos (aka chance)? But that's beside the point. All the Gods apparently have one defining property, which is either a big or a small portion of who they are. Point is, that we don't know the Gods personally, and they can't interfere with us personally. So the only thing we know of them is that one defining property.

We can all more or less agree with each other that Saradomin is the "God of Order". He has called himself much more in the God Letters, things like the God of Wisdom or Light, but I don't trust those titles. Order is what he yearns for the most, and he is prepared to kill for it. Just look at the holy crusades that are launched in his name to eradicate chaos in this world. I think the reason that most of the benign people of this world see Saradomin as the God of Goodness is because life depends on order. If we look at the world of Gielinor we see that both logic and magic are represented. Humans, Dwarves, Gnomes (for the most part) and the flora and fauna of RuneScape are based on logic. Physics, chemistry, biology, it all works. On the other side, there are races like Elves, the Mahjarrat and Vampires. They depend on magic. Humans see order as beneficial, and chaos as destructive. Therefore, Saradomin can be regarded as a benign God, and Zamorak as evil. Besides, large portions of the Saradominist following know little of the Gods themselves, and only know what they are told. Most of the magic races do not follow Saradomin. Whether this is a coincidence or not you must decide for yourself.

The reason most people see Zamorak as evil is of course not just based on the fact he represents chaos. His personality is one of ruthlessness, survival of the fittest and using others for his own personal gain. Many traits that are looked down upon by most, but the ones that admire those beliefs will follow him. His following therefore, the visible and psysical part of Zamorak, is one of evil. Exception may be made for some of the Dagon'Hai monks, for they understand that chaos is necessary while not being explicitly evil.

And now for Guthix, my favourite God. He can be seen as True Neutral, to the point he does not understand the concepts of good and evil. All he sees are two parties and a chance for the balance to be disrupted. So he will either help or damage the parties to ensure that balance is maintained. In that sense he is perhaps the most enlightened of the main Gods, because he sees that Order and Chaos cannot exist without each other. But again Rien_Adelric has something interesting to say:

I don't know about anyone else, but I see Guthix and Zaros as being antitheses of one another (Creation vs. Chaos/Destruction, and Life vs. Death). The fact that Zaros was equal to the threat posed by the combined force of every other god at the time of the God Wars confirms this for me. It may be that I'm reading too far into the mythology of a mere game, but in most real-life creation myths, there is a both a "void" and a creator god in the beginning of time. I equate Guthix with this creator god (even though he did not create the plane, he is undoubtably the source of life in Gielinor) and Zaros with the void (hence the title "Empty Lord").

Even Guthix himself isn't fully impartial, because he sometimes favours life over death. He created life on Gielinor by populating it with many races, and I believe Guthix wouldn't want to give up his little project so lightly. But those things are of minor influence on his philosophy, and in my eyes he truly can be named the God of Balance.

All in all the image of a God is a very relative case, and we mortals cannot even begin to fathom their ways.

[/wall of text]

Due to my epic stats, I have now started WGS (but I still hate spoilers).

sighistorian.jpg

As with all RuneScape lore, nobody has it right all the time. Not even me, with my fancy 'historian' title. Lore and information is perceived differently by different people, and sometimes even the lore itself isn't consistent. But if we place the facts next to each other we can at least know what is right and what is wrong. I won't sum up every fact of every God right now, instead I will talk and speculate a little about the main Gods. So these are not all facts.

I agree with Rien_Adelric when he says the gods probably aren't purely what their 'element' says they are. Saradomin for example has a strong preference for Order, but that doesn't stop him from being much more, doing much more. And even in that area of order, there are gradients. I can see Armadyl, as the god of Justice, prefering order above chaos too, although on the other hand, what is fairer than chaos (aka chance)? But that's beside the point. All the Gods apparently have one defining property, which is either a big or a small portion of who they are. Point is, that we don't know the Gods personally, and they can't interfere with us personally. So the only thing we know of them is that one defining property.

We can all more or less agree with each other that Saradomin is the "God of Order". He has called himself much more in the God Letters, things like the God of Wisdom or Light, but I don't trust those titles. Order is what he yearns for the most, and he is prepared to kill for it. Just look at the holy crusades that are launched in his name to eradicate chaos in this world. I think the reason that most of the benign people of this world see Saradomin as the God of Goodness is because life depends on order. If we look at the world of Gielinor we see that both logic and magic are represented. Humans, Dwarves, Gnomes (for the most part) and the flora and fauna of RuneScape are based on logic. Physics, chemistry, biology, it all works. On the other side, there are races like Elves, the Mahjarrat and Vampires. They depend on magic. Humans see order as beneficial, and chaos as destructive. Therefore, Saradomin can be regarded as a benign God, and Zamorak as evil. Besides, large portions of the Saradominist following know little of the Gods themselves, and only know what they are told. Most of the magic races do not follow Saradomin. Whether this is a coincidence or not you must decide for yourself.

The reason most people see Zamorak as evil is of course not just based on the fact he represents chaos. His personality is one of ruthlessness, survival of the fittest and using others for his own personal gain. Many traits that are looked down upon by most, but the ones that admire those beliefs will follow him. His following therefore, the visible and psysical part of Zamorak, is one of evil. Exception may be made for some of the Dagon'Hai monks, for they understand that chaos is necessary while not being explicitly evil.

And now for Guthix, my favourite God. He can be seen as True Neutral, to the point he does not understand the concepts of good and evil. All he sees are two parties and a chance for the balance to be disrupted. So he will either help or damage the parties to ensure that balance is maintained. In that sense he is perhaps the most enlightened of the main Gods, because he sees that Order and Chaos cannot exist without each other. But again Rien_Adelric has something interesting to say:

I don't know about anyone else, but I see Guthix and Zaros as being antitheses of one another (Creation vs. Chaos/Destruction, and Life vs. Death). The fact that Zaros was equal to the threat posed by the combined force of every other god at the time of the God Wars confirms this for me. It may be that I'm reading too far into the mythology of a mere game, but in most real-life creation myths, there is a both a "void" and a creator god in the beginning of time. I equate Guthix with this creator god (even though he did not create the plane, he is undoubtably the source of life in Gielinor) and Zaros with the void (hence the title "Empty Lord").

Even Guthix himself isn't fully impartial, because he sometimes favours life over death. He created life on Gielinor by populating it with many races, and I believe Guthix wouldn't want to give up his little project so lightly. But those things are of minor influence on his philosophy, and in my eyes he truly can be named the God of Balance.

All in all the image of a God is a very relative case, and we mortals cannot even begin to fathom their ways.

[/wall of text]

I just wanted to bring up a couple things.

1. I disagree with your equation of chance to chaos. I don't believe they're even remotely the same thing.

Chance is rolling a six-sided die and then reading the result.

Chaos would be covering your eyes, spinning in circles, throwing the die in the air, and then trying to find it, all while someone throws hand grenades at you.

2. Does anyone else find it interesting that Guthix would choose tho bring human life to a planet? The greatest upset to balance is introducing new intelligent life. A world devoid of sentient life will balance itself. A god truly seeking supreme balance would seek to destroy all sentient life, leaving only nature to balance itself.

I think that would be a great basis for a future questline. We've seen radicals from several gods before. We've never seen a radical follower of Guthix. Imagine if some tried to trigger the apocalypse to bring about balance.

[hide]

[/hide]

Bandos didn't create any races, he was a war god who attempted to recruit various races, and was only accepted by the least intelligent and most brutish and violent (Goblins, Ogres, etc).

It's very possible that, as far as power goes, Bandos may be on the lower end of the spectrum. He appears to be more akin to the bully who is only powerful because he has strong followers.

I do not agree. Bandos is not a mage so transferring magical energy into an amulet would be difficult for him and the avatar could only be killed by a recently developed weapon. Without that weapon, he would be impossible to kill and eventually win

Misk Wisk

I do not agree. Bandos is not a mage so transferring magical energy into an amulet would be difficult for him and the avatar could only be killed by a recently developed weapon. Without that weapon, he would be impossible to kill and eventually win

somehow i doubt "being a mage" as you put it factors in in anyway. remember we're not talking about a magic impaired race like the dwarves, we're talking about a god. granted it was only a newly formed avatar, but still wiping out one human shouldn't be that difficult fo a god of any significant power. bandos was a total pushover.

[hide]

[/hide]

1. I disagree with your equation of chance to chaos. I don't believe they're even remotely the same thing.

Chaos would be covering your eyes, spinning in circles, throwing the die in the air, and then trying to find it, all while someone throws hand grenades at you.

I understand what you mean, but if you perform the same scenario over and over again, even chaos would get predictable. At least that's what I believe, looking at radioactive decay. The process is completely random and stochastic, but in large numbers predictable.

Nice storyline idea btw :)

sighistorian.jpg

I understand what you mean, but if you perform the same scenario over and over again, even chaos would get predictable. At least that's what I believe, looking at radioactive decay. The process is completely random and stochastic, but in large numbers predictable.

Nice storyline idea btw :)

sighistorian.jpg

[/wall of text]

2. Does anyone else find it interesting that Guthix would choose tho bring human life to a planet? The greatest upset to balance is introducing new intelligent life. A world devoid of sentient life will balance itself. A god truly seeking supreme balance would seek to destroy all sentient life, leaving only nature to balance itself.

I think that would be a great basis for a future questline. We've seen radicals from several gods before. We've never seen a radical follower of Guthix. Imagine if some tried to trigger the apocalypse to bring about balance.

Well, I think, and this is a guess, although some beings ingame already said it, there IS a radical follower of Guthix.

He's called...

[hide=]well, that actually depends on your character's name. But I'll call him Farstrider here. XD[/hide]

[/wall of text]

Well, I think, and this is a guess, although some beings ingame already said it, there IS a radical follower of Guthix.

He's called...

[hide=]well, that actually depends on your character's name. But I'll call him Farstrider here. XD[/hide]

I think you misunderstand the meaning of a radical follower. Our character is neutral. Though we lean more towards good, we are not averse to helping the forces of evil if it benefits us. Though we act in some sort of balance, we are not followers of guthixian precepts.

A radical follower would seek balance at any cost, and without intelligent life on runescape, the world would return to a natural balance. Therefore it's entirely plausible that a radical follower of Guthix would seek to destroy all intelligent life on runescape.

[hide]

[/hide]

I think you misunderstand the meaning of a radical follower. Our character is neutral. Though we lean more towards good, we are not averse to helping the forces of evil if it benefits us. Though we act in some sort of balance, we are not followers of guthixian precepts.

A radical follower would seek balance at any cost, and without intelligent life on runescape, the world would return to a natural balance. Therefore it's entirely plausible that a radical follower of Guthix would seek to destroy all intelligent life on runescape.

So THAT's what the FoG druids are doing... building an A-bomb to wipe out humanity. Sneaky.

a70c7.png

So THAT's what the FoG druids are doing... building an A-bomb to wipe out humanity. Sneaky.

You think too small. There's also dwarfanity, goblinanity, elfanity, gnomanity, fairieanity, Vyranity, dragonkinanity, mahjarratanity, and who knows what else. (Also, I'm well aware none of those are real words.)

Let's also not forget the almighty chicken house. Very dangerous that,

[hide]

[/hide]

You think too small. There's also dwarfanity, goblinanity, elfanity, gnomanity, fairieanity, Vyranity, dragonkinanity, mahjarratanity, and who knows what else. (Also, I'm well aware none of those are real words.)

Let's also not forget the almighty chicken house. Very dangerous that,

Who said the druids were smart enough to recognize dwarfanity, goblanity, etc.? They're probably just gonna blow all of Gielinor to heck.

Come to think of it, that's probably what happened in Yu'biusk. A bunch of Guthixian fanatics found the fairy ring, went there somehow, found it "unbalanced" and blew it up.

So, next quest: Surviving the Apocalypse!

Requirements: All quests.

Storyline: You hear mad cackling from the Fist of Guthix area.... You go there and see a cutscene of a druid finishing the A-bomb. You then run to the deepest area you know of - Dorgesh-Kaan - and hide there as everything blows up. Later, you find you have radiation sickness from Yu'biusk and die. You then respawn in ScapeRune...

Quest complete! Rewards:

Ability to make an A-bomb, a mage weapon capable of hitting 60's and that has a spec (called Over-Radiate, of course)that doubles it damage. It's made from going back to Yu'biScape and crawling into what's left of the Fist of Guthix cave.You grab a few "radioactive runes" and use them to make it along with 3 molten glass and a steam battlestaff.

Free access to ScapeRune, where you will now have to train due to everything in RuneScape having been blown to radioactive bits. But you can still go there via fairy rings, and it will look just like Yu'biusk, and will so be called Yu'biScape.

Ability to withstand extra damage from A-bomb weapons.

a70c7.png