Help a newbie with HTML/JavaScript

Salad

Ok hey people, I just recently started programming html and a tiny bit of JavaScript and I love it. I use NotePad++ to do my stuff but I got some questions that I couldn't find like:

What is that true power of JavaScript?

Is there any way to make something like on RuneScape.Com where the menu and game guide and stuff goes down? I don't wanna copy and I tried looking in the sources of runescape.com but I couldn't find the code or whatever.

Is there any way to get a free domain with out any scam? It could be using another site like *Example* Salad170.Runescape.com or Salad170.GooglePages.com.

Right now my web page looks pretty...ugly. I'm not looking to do similar to Runescape or any other fancy site, just something less ugly.

Thanks for your help, and sorry if I look nooby, I'm just starting :cry:

ib7rVm.png

Javascript for the non-seure dynamic content.

CSS for the design

HTML for the mark up

I would advise you look at CSS to achieve the menu, otherwise if the user disables JavaScript the whole menu will not work.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

For funky effects like the RS homepage has (The dropdown menus etc.) I would recommend Mootools. I haven't actually used it in a site myself but it looks like it would work well.

As for a free host, I've seen someone use http://izfree.com/ , it has everything you'll need to get started at least. Don't expect great bandwidth though.

That would be me right? :P

Izfree is great, considering it's completely free. There is an application process you have to go to, and you may not qualify. If you can get it though, by all means go for it. They tend to have server issues but it's expected, giving so much stuff away for free.

There are also tons of great javascript tutorials out there, try w3schools.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

HTML is the basic mark up for presenting a web page, it can contain formatting information but it's better to include that separately, it's best to only use HTML for the content of a web page.

CSS is the code for the design of the web page and can do basic dynamic effects. Use CSS for the formatting etc.

Javascript is quite a powerful scripting language that can control dynamic content and elements on a web page or DOM (Document Object Module) as it's referred too. You would not believe how much javascripting goes on when you peruse the web these days.

But if you wanted to do something like Runescape, you need to use a more powerful language like Java, which has nothing to do with Javascript. Java is a multi platform language that is both complex and fun in it's implimentation, but I would stay away from it if you're just going to design websites, Java is for designing applications.

But if you wanted to do something like Runescape, you need to use a more powerful language like Java, which has nothing to do with Javascript. Java is a multi platform language that is both complex and fun in it's implimentation, but I would stay away from it if you're just going to design websites, Java is for designing applications.

He was talking about the site design, not the actual game :P

C2b6gs7.png

Lol true, and I don't feel like programming Java right now, or ever... looks to hard. I'm think I'm just try to exploit JavaScript to my need.

Also I download the MooTool.net thingy but I don't get it. I'm so newbie...

I found this video teaching the basic of HTML, but I got yet to find something that I understand about JavaScript.

ib7rVm.png

Lol true, and I don't feel like programming Java right now, or ever... looks to hard. I'm think I'm just try to exploit JavaScript to my need.

Also I download the MooTool.net thingy but I don't get it. I'm so newbie...

I found this video teaching the basic of HTML, but I got yet to find something that I understand about JavaScript.

dropdown menus and such are pure and utter hell, because you have to code the menus to work correctly for many different browsers, otherwise some of your audience won't be able to use them.

i suggest avoiding eye candy and such, just making a site with good content, atleast until you learn how to do flashier stuff. one big problem people seem to have is that they start / publish their site too soon, and it lacks any content.

fishing.gif

If you feel like you wanna do something a little higher-level than Javascript and HTML, you should use PHP. PHP is a server-side scripting language that adds security and the best part -- it doesn't show up in the page source!

Only problem is that you need to have a PHP-enabled server, such as one provided by a decent website host to even be able to play with it. :(

I used to do a lot of Javascript years ago. I had a friend that would help me learn it and we would share scripts that we wrote. Sadly, I forgot all about how to script, so I don't do it anymore.

EDIT: I think JavascriptKit.com has some tutorials. If not, they have some free copy and paste scripts that you can modify/take apart.

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.