Barbarian assault

Saunamajuri

My first rant ever ::'

Most of us have been in barbarian assault to obtain the famous fighter torso, and/or penance glove or just high staking, hoping for d chain.

I love this minigame, i have the gloves and torso and im level 5 in everything. The game is very enjoyable if you manage to get into a good team or make one, but if someone unexperienced comes, then the game will turn horrible.

You are yelling for a role and someone picks you up. You look your teammates; most are around 80-100, but then there`s this level 40 player, who is the reason why im typing this.

Not only are they weak and die easily, but most of them doesent even know what to do! They just sit around, not calling, or doing anything and when everyone starts shouting at him, he leaves or asks what to do.

Why do they play it, if they dont know anything about it?

IS IT SO HARD TO READ INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE ENTERING!?

Now i got it out of me...

P.S. double post :wall: #-o :oops:

"An Amateur practices until he can get it right. A Professional practices until he can't get it wrong."

nimetnbb.jpg

Quests just keep bringing me back to this game.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even reading instructions really doesn't make it clear enough. Everyone's new at some point; when I first came to BA, I was a helpless newb. Same for GWD or any hard, first-time event. There's always going to be new people trying to learn the ropes.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

Even reading instructions really doesn't make it clear enough. Everyone's new at some point; when I first came to BA, I was a helpless newb. Same for GWD or any hard, first-time event. There's always going to be new people trying to learn the ropes.

True, but when they don't know what to do for more than 4 rounds, it's time for a little rereading of the instructions. Everyone needs hands-on experience, but some times a good read is better.

menea_reuter.pnglinkresponsewb2.th.jpg

True, but when they don't know what to do for more than 4 rounds, it's time for a little rereading of the instructions. Everyone needs hands-on experience, but some times a good read is better.

Rarely. Learning where everything is on the equipment screen and the best tactics to use takes time. A video instruction of an actual game would be far better.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

Rarely. Learning where everything is on the equipment screen and the best tactics to use takes time. A video instruction of an actual game would be far better.

Meh, I say both together with the hands-on would be ideal, but that's IMO.

menea_reuter.pnglinkresponsewb2.th.jpg

A video instruction of an actual game would be far better.

Doesn't Fist of Guthix have something like that? Some sort of visual aid anyway. Adding one of those for BA would be a good idea.

Ah, this reminds me about the noob on the Runescape forums who was upset with the quest "Cold War" because apparently his grandparents died in the war. :wall:

A video instruction of an actual game would be far better.

Doesn't Fist of Guthix have something like that? Some sort of visual aid anyway. Adding one of those for BA would be a good idea.

Yeah, Jagex has been learning. Unskipable cutscenes are a good thing, but something like Gnomecopters detailing tactics would be even better.

DeviledEgg24.png

I went with some friends and they were about ready to kill me >.>

But then again I went with an intelligent friend and was baout ready to kill him. First game is hard and most people don't get tactics til maybe 5th game. I have the game but that doesn't mean anything. PLus penance gloves are the only half decent reward, fighter torso is worse than an addy chain. ;)

Thoroughly retired, may still write now and again

I remember being the same way. However the difference between us and the person who he is ranting about is that we TRY. I tried when I first started, but I still failed. Did you try? Of course you did. I bet you, like me, read the instructions, got a general sense of what to do, but was still somewhat confused. I also bet that you ran around trying to do what you had to and getting the basic core done correctly, if not going into advanced tactics or completing your job completely. Then after a while, I'm sure you got the hang of your job through self-experience and maybe a little help from your teammates/friends.

They just sit around, not calling, or doing anything and when everyone starts shouting at him, he leaves or asks what to do.

This guy, on the other hand, is literally a rock. He is obviously not trying, since he is not calling nor making an attempt to complete his role. It is evident that he is making no effort to learn the ropes himself and hedged a bet that the game was easy enough to understand completely on the first go. What's more is that he appears to intend to learn completely by instruction, which we know is simply impossible.

I remember being the same way. However the difference between us and the person who he is ranting about is that we TRY. I tried when I first started, but I still failed. Did you try? Of course you did. I bet you, like me, read the instructions, got a general sense of what to do, but was still somewhat confused. I also bet that you ran around trying to do what you had to and getting the basic core done correctly, if not going into advanced tactics or completing your job completely. Then after a while, I'm sure you got the hang of your job through self-experience and maybe a little help from your teammates/friends.

I was a clueless chump wandering around asking what to do. I ended up leaving after the first game, as it was obvious people didn't like that, and went to youtube to watch video guides until I got the hang of it.

This guy, on the other hand, is literally a rock. He is obviously not trying, since he is not calling nor making an attempt to complete his role. It is evident that he is making no effort to learn the ropes himself and hedged a bet that the game was easy enough to understand completely on the first go. What's more is that he appears to intend to learn completely by instruction, which we know is simply impossible.

Oh, so asking what to do isn't learning? How are they supposed to know to call and what to say if no one's going to tell them? The instruction book is laughably inadequate, it in no way prepares you for the inventory or setup, and doesn't detail any sort of tactics.

DeviledEgg24.png

I was a clueless chump wandering around asking what to do. I ended up leaving after the first game, as it was obvious people didn't like that, and went to youtube to watch video guides until I got the hang of it.

Oh, so asking what to do isn't learning? How are they supposed to know to call and what to say if no one's going to tell them? The instruction book is laughably inadequate, it in no way prepares you for the inventory or setup, and doesn't detail any sort of tactics.

1) You watched vids and attempted to learn. There's effort.

2) Not sure what you think, but I think he gave up too easily. They give you a horn when you walk into the game, and someone can't take the time to consider what it's for? It may be true that the instructions aren't detailed enough, and I agree they can improve that. However there's still self-teaching, and it's extremely effective. Just because the instructions were inadequate or confusing does not give you a reason to give up so easily.

Which doesn't relate in any way to these in-game people.

2) Not sure what you think, but I think he gave up too easily. They give you a horn when you walk into the game, and someone can't take the time to consider what it's for? It may be true that the instructions aren't detailed enough, and I agree they can improve that. However there's still self-teaching, and it's extremely effective. Just because the instructions were inadequate or confusing does not give you a reason to give up so easily.

Self teaching is going to take quite a few games to figure out just what to do. Much faster to ask a pro and have them give you a 1 minute run down on what to do.

DeviledEgg24.png

Which doesn't relate in any way to these in-game people.

Self teaching is going to take quite a few games to figure out just what to do. Much faster to ask a pro and have them give you a 1 minute run down on what to do.

1) Yes it does. You made an effort to learn how to play since you went and watched videos on how to play. While neither of us can say the person in question watched videos or not, I'm going to predict from his behavior in the game that he did not. You may think different, but that's what I believe.

2) Yes, being taught is faster. That's why we have schools after all right? But this guy did not ask for advice during the course of the game. He did ask for advice AFTER the game, but you tell me which one would be smarter. Apart from that, I still believe that the person in question did not pay effort. He does nothing the entire game. Surely a man is allow to be confused during his first few games, but sitting still and doing nothing for an entire game (which can last a pretty long time) is hard to correlate with effort.

1) Yes it does. You made an effort to learn how to play since you went and watched videos on how to play. While neither of us can say the person in question watched videos or not, I'm going to predict from his behavior in the game that he did not. You may think different, but that's what I believe.

My point is that what does watching youtube videos have to do with this rant? It's not as if all players are instructed to do so in RS, I just chose that based on previous experience.

2) Yes, being taught is faster. That's why we have schools after all right? But this guy did not ask for advice during the course of the game. He did ask for advice AFTER the game, but you tell me which one would be smarter. Apart from that, I still believe that the person in question did not pay effort. He does nothing the entire game. Surely a man is allow to be confused during his first few games, but sitting still and doing nothing for an entire game (which can last a pretty long time) is hard to correlate with effort.

I quote: "They just sit around, not calling, or doing anything and when everyone starts shouting at him, he leaves or asks what to do."

DeviledEgg24.png

My point is that what does watching youtube videos have to do with this rant? It's not as if all players are instructed to do so in RS, I just chose that based on previous experience.

I quote: "They just sit around, not calling, or doing anything and when everyone starts shouting at him, he leaves or asks what to do."

1) My point is that by going out and attempting to find out how to play better, you payed effort, which means a lot in this case.

2) But only after the game and only after everyone is already shouting at him. If you stay still and only respond when everyone is screaming at you, is that effort?

1) My point is that by going out and attempting to find out how to play better, you payed effort, which means a lot in this case.

But it's not something every player does, and they certainly shouldn't be blamed for not doing it.

2) But only after the game and only after everyone is already shouting at him. If you stay still and only respond when everyone is screaming at you, is that effort?

Yep, I always do that in minigames. I try to hang back and figure out what they are doing by watching them so I can join in in a few games, but if I'm yelled at I'll confess I don't really know what I'm doing and ask for help. It's the least intrusive way. I did the same thing learning team bandos GWD.

DeviledEgg24.png

But it's not something every player does, and they certainly shouldn't be blamed for not doing it.

Yep, I always do that in minigames. I try to hang back and figure out what they are doing by watching them so I can join in in a few games, but if I'm yelled at I'll confess I don't really know what I'm doing and ask for help. It's the least intrusive way. I did the same thing learning team bandos GWD.

1) Exactly, which is why it's just an example. Youtubing videos? Of course not everyone does that, for example I don't. But going to youtube is only one way to pay effort and learn the ropes of a minigame. There are many ways to do this, so just because someone didn't go on Youtube doesn't mean they didn't learn some other way. Youtube, again, was only one example. This isn't just restricted to Youtube, they can go anywhere and look for tips. If they choose not to, ok maybe they can't be blamed. But they should play an active role during the game at least.

2) In that case we just learn things differently. I'll accept that different people have different ways to learn. However, hurting others in the process is not the best way to do that. You say you stand aside and watch others. Well first you should tell them that you are new and are watching. No point in annoying people for no reason right? In all honesty if you're going to stand aside and watch you should at least tell your teammates, right? They have a right to know. At least that way, on the lower waves of BA, your team will be prepared and set 2 people on your role. This way you can watch and the team will still get the job done. What happens if you don't tell your team and you end up being the only defender? Defender is the most complex role, so if you're watching for one game, then your team cannot win that game because you will not be killing the runners, but watching.

Also, if you stand still and do nothing in BA, you learn nothing. I hope you meant you didn't play actively but still moved around the arena to observe others? And not just stand by the spawn point? From what the OP writes, he infers that the person he is ranting about does exactly that. Sitting in an out-of-the-way part of the arena. You can't learn anything if nothing is going on around you. Of course, I could be wrong with this, but the OP did not specify exactly what the player did, and I don't expect so since the OP was probably too busy playing the game.

1) Exactly, which is why it's just an example. Youtubing videos? Of course not everyone does that, for example I don't. But going to youtube is only one way to pay effort and learn the ropes of a minigame. There are many ways to do this, so just because someone didn't go on Youtube doesn't mean they didn't learn some other way. Youtube, again, was only one example. This isn't just restricted to Youtube, they can go anywhere and look for tips. If they choose not to, ok maybe they can't be blamed. But they should play an active role during the game at least.

Start naming in-game activities, 'cause the only one I recall is the book.

2) In that case we just learn things differently. I'll accept that different people have different ways to learn. However, hurting others in the process is not the best way to do that. You say you stand aside and watch others. Well first you should tell them that you are new and are watching. No point in annoying people for no reason right? In all honesty if you're going to stand aside and watch you should at least tell your teammates, right? They have a right to know. At least that way, on the lower waves of BA, your team will be prepared and set 2 people on your role. This way you can watch and the team will still get the job done. What happens if you don't tell your team and you end up being the only defender? Defender is the most complex role, so if you're watching for one game, then your team cannot win that game because you will not be killing the runners, but watching.

How else am I supposed to learn? Telling them that their healer or defender won't be doing anything all game isn't going to make them happy, and if I watch and listen I can generally figure it out without them finding out.

Also, if you stand still and do nothing in BA, you learn nothing. I hope you meant you didn't play actively but still moved around the arena to observe others? And not just stand by the spawn point? From what the OP writes, he infers that the person he is ranting about does exactly that. Sitting in an out-of-the-way part of the arena. You can't learn anything if nothing is going on around you. Of course, I could be wrong with this, but the OP did not specify exactly what the player did, and I don't expect so since the OP was probably too busy playing the game.

I can see the whole arena from one spot, so I don't really get what your trying to say. But yes, I would stand their silent unless they yelled at me, in which case I'd ask what to do. Just like this guy.

DeviledEgg24.png

Start naming in-game activities, 'cause the only one I recall is the book.

How else am I supposed to learn? Telling them that their healer or defender won't be doing anything all game isn't going to make them happy, and if I watch and listen I can generally figure it out without them finding out.

I can see the whole arena from one spot, so I don't really get what your trying to say. But yes, I would stand their silent unless they yelled at me, in which case I'd ask what to do. Just like this guy.

1) Playing the game is the best way to get experience in it. Watching only goes so far.

2) It may not make them happy, but on the lower waves it won't actually matter. Plus since you're doing nothing either way, the only difference is that they know beforehand, or are you saying they shouldn't know?

3) Can you see the whole arena from one spot? Idk I haven't been there in a while tbh, but I don't remember being able to do so, at least not on Standard Detail.

1) Playing the game is the best way to get experience in it. Watching only goes so far.

Exactly my point.

2) It may not make them happy, but on the lower waves it won't actually matter. Plus since you're doing nothing either way, the only difference is that they know beforehand, or are you saying they shouldn't know?

Yup. They can't do a thing about it besides mercilessly flame you, so why bother telling them?

3) Can you see the whole arena from one spot? Idk I haven't been there in a while tbh, but I don't remember being able to do so, at least not on Standard Detail.

I'm in HD, but I think you can see most of it from SD also.

DeviledEgg24.png

Exactly my point.

Yup. They can't do a thing about it besides mercilessly flame you, so why bother telling them?

I'm in HD, but I think you can see most of it from SD also.

1) So shouldn't you try to do what your role says then? It's hard in the beginning, but it's hard for everyone. I think, however, that everyone who starts something new for the first time so try it before observing. You can't get everything from just observing.

2) Because they have the RIGHT to know. They are your TEAM. Plus, on the lower waves (before 4-6 depending on player levels, combat and roles, as well as experience) no one will care if you explain nicely. I did that when I first started Defender. I told a few teams that I'm just beginning Defender and I'm confused, so I probably will not be very effective. Say it nicely and you will get a "fine we'll just get 2 defenders then" like I did. They won't flame you unless you act obnoxious, at least in my experience.

3) Last time I played BA was in August, and back then I don't think you could see the entire arena from the cannon spots. Of course on HD you can, but I'm really not sure for SD. I'm f2p now too so I can't check.

1) So shouldn't you try to do what your role says then? It's hard in the beginning, but it's hard for everyone. I think, however, that everyone who starts something new for the first time so try it before observing. You can't get everything from just observing.

Except there's nothing to try. You literally don't know what to do - the instruction booklet is basically worthless.

2) Because they have the RIGHT to know. They are your TEAM. Plus, on the lower waves (before 4-6 depending on player levels, combat and roles, as well as experience) no one will care if you explain nicely. I did that when I first started Defender. I told a few teams that I'm just beginning Defender and I'm confused, so I probably will not be very effective. Say it nicely and you will get a "fine we'll just get 2 defenders then" like I did. They won't flame you unless you act obnoxious, at least in my experience.

In my experience they'll flame you like crazy or try to leave. Telling them your clueless before the game means you'll never play, and after the game starts there's no way it will benefit you.

3) Last time I played BA was in August, and back then I don't think you could see the entire arena from the cannon spots. Of course on HD you can, but I'm really not sure for SD. I'm f2p now too so I can't check.

Been a while for me too, but I'm pretty sure you can see almost all of it from near the center. And who's to say he didn't have HD?

DeviledEgg24.png

Except there's nothing to try. You literally don't know what to do - the instruction booklet is basically worthless.

In my experience they'll flame you like crazy or try to leave. Telling them your clueless before the game means you'll never play, and after the game starts there's no way it will benefit you.

Been a while for me too, but I'm pretty sure you can see almost all of it from near the center. And who's to say he didn't have HD?

1. But there isn't just a booklet is there? The Commander has a whole blackboard and will explain a lot to you. I'm not sure but I think there might be a cutscene tutorial. I'm pretty sure I remember there being one, but that's like 2 years ago since I've seen it (if it's there).

2. Well you don't tell them you're clueless. It's a mixing of persuasion, pleading, and telling the incomplete truth. Instead of saying "I don't know what to do, so I'm going to stand on the side and watch", say "I'm confused what to do, but I am going to try. I'm not going to be able to do very much though, so you should get 2 *insert role here*". Pretty much works all the time for me, regardless of if you actually try in the game or not.

3. Right. You got me there, but you can't be 100% sure he used HD either.

1. But there isn't just a booklet is there? The Commander has a whole blackboard and will explain a lot to you. I'm not sure but I think there might be a cutscene tutorial. I'm pretty sure I remember there being one, but that's like 2 years ago since I've seen it (if it's there).

No cutscene, but there could be a blackboard thing (it's been a while). I remember whatever it was was VERY lacking and I was incredibly confused my first few games.

2. Well you don't tell them you're clueless. It's a mixing of persuasion, pleading, and telling the incomplete truth. Instead of saying "I don't know what to do, so I'm going to stand on the side and watch", say "I'm confused what to do, but I am going to try. I'm not going to be able to do very much though, so you should get 2 *insert role here*". Pretty much works all the time for me, regardless of if you actually try in the game or not.

Never worked for me, you'll get flamed to no end by the current teams. Run around or try and act like you know what your doing and you'll pick up on it soon enough. There's no benefit whatsoever to telling them you don't know what your doing.

And you can't be 100% sure he wasn't just lagging when he was standing around, and normally would be running around asking what to do #-o

DeviledEgg24.png

No cutscene, but there could be a blackboard thing (it's been a while). I remember whatever it was was VERY lacking and I was incredibly confused my first few games.

Never worked for me, you'll get flamed to no end by the current teams. Run around or try and act like you know what your doing and you'll pick up on it soon enough. There's no benefit whatsoever to telling them you don't know what your doing.

And you can't be 100% sure he wasn't just lagging when he was standing around, and normally would be running around asking what to do #-o

I quit playing after i was kicked from a team because my collector wouldn't tell me what arrows to use -.-

arcane_stew.png

Hypocrite. You tell others to be nice then attempt to murder people. Nice going, you just failed life.