Should the HP buffer be raised above 99?

Blackey

Great idea! Let everybody that has trained combat past 99 hp instantly become a "pvp boss". Ever heard of deja vu xii? He is ranked #1 in hp atm (almost 200m exp). You're saying that after this magical update he should log in to find that he has 500 hp? Brilliant! [/sarcasm]

If you're suggesting that at 200m hp exp you get 100 hp, then I guess it's an ok idea. Otherwise pvp would be even more messed up than it already is.

Ur right ;D

Let it stay as it is!

At 200M exp, if you follow the curve on the experience graph, you'd hit lvl 126 HP, which would still help from being slash-n-bashed by dragon claws. It would also make the total level somewhere around 145? But if tis only pertains to HP, I can see a glitch involving players getting other skills above 99.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I agree that the HP Buffer should be above 99, but along with that arises issues, main one being balancing it out - choosing an HP level that is not so ridiculously high that it is impossible to kill that player, but not too low so that it is deemed as another "useless update" from Jagex.

I also wonder what willl happen if people get 120HP in F2P, take clan wars for example.

Imagine killing a clan of 10 people who have maxed out Combat with 120HP, tricky eh?

I think the situation might justify the use, but if you are to constantly have 120HP in some areas/times and 99 in another, wouldn't it be irritating and frustrating?

The present Runescape presents many over-powered weapons and stat boosters, what I feel is another appropriate course of action is some more damage reducing armour.

Balance it out, I mean! If people get damage boosting weapons, counter it with damage reducing armours, it only seems fair.

Before I wander off too much, I'd like to say again that I do agree the buffer should be over 99.

But problematic questions arrive as well.

What level should be the maximum HP level be so that it will:

- Still keep it fun

- Balance it out well ?

What about the situation it is used in? It certainly does change the way someone feels about it.

P2P PvP and PvM activities seems to be the most popular situation the buffer will be presented in to see if it is useful.

However, other situations must also be taken into consideration, such as the buffer in F2P, don't you think?

Regarding the F2P matter, I see some new issues.

Viewpoint 1: It should not be implemented in F2P - the outcome will be chaotic:

PKing with over 110HP, Clan Wars with over 110HP, think about the consequences!

Viewpoint 2: It should be implemented in all places, because of you work hard, you should logically earn a reward for it.

It is also too weird to see your HP 99 in one place, yet 120 in another.

Could there be another logical action to do that''ll also help?

Countering Damage-boosting gear and High-Hitting weapons with Damage-lowering Armours and making the Defence skill not only appliable to Attack yet also Strength could massively help.

Or, should they be used in a combination?

I've dished out my thoughts and a few possible problems, it's up to you guys to think of what'll happen, and what willl be the best thing to do.

Generia.png

I've thought about this before, and discussed it with someone.

Here's the possible solution we came up with.

For every HP level, you gain 2 HP. So Level 10 would be 20 HP, 99 would be 198HP. Of course, this leave the issue of food and monsters, so I propose that each piece of food heals 1.5* the current amount (rounded down). Sharks would heal 30 for example. As with monsters, they would have their damage increased by 1.5* (again, rounded down), so a 20 now would be a 30 then. This makes no change to PvM, whilst making PvP harder.

Also, regarding healing specials, they too would benefit from the increased healing. Enhanced Excalibur would heal 6HP*5, instead of 4HP*5, and the SGS would be adjusted accordingly.

swordfinalqr7.jpg

Denizen of Darkness| PSN= sworddude198

What if HP could be raised another way? Not exp related? imagine an ultra rare armour drop, that add +10 to current hp? or a master quest where the reward is a fountain that when you drink from it adds +25 to your current hp, even over your maximum.

The Hot springs from the quest 'A Last Resort' increases my HP by 12, that could be an alternative?

Pgkhqob.jpg

Proud Tip.It Moderator December 07 - October 2009
Proud TETAU Member 2006 - 2007 <3
"I had a standing agreement with god. I'd agree to believe in him, barely, so long as he let me sleep in on Sundays." - Rose Hathaway
[ Posting & You ] [ Forum Rules ] [ Next Tetau Event ]

What if HP could be raised another way? Not exp related? imagine an ultra rare armour drop, that add +10 to current hp? or a master quest where the reward is a fountain that when you drink from it adds +25 to your current hp, even over your maximum.

The Hot springs from the quest 'A Last Resort' increases my HP by 12, that could be an alternative?

Well yea, but when you get DDS spec'd 40-40 twice in a row, your +12 is useless.

I support having PvP damage reduced (just PvP, not monster damage). So you'd be able to hit 80's with Dharok's on monsters but only 50's on people. Seems like an easy solution to me, but there are probably flaws.

• 2 weeks later...

I disagree with this thread :P

If HP was raised above 99, Nomad would be twice as hard as it is now, I completed the quest so I could care less.

The reason is: The nomads powerful attack hits Yourhp - 1 so for instance, if you were 200 hp, he would hit a 199 and you would have to heal more leaving him nearly impossible.

Thanks for reading :o

Spam%20Mager.png

Spam%20Mager.png

Spam%20Mager.png

I disagree with this thread :P

If HP was raised above 99, Nomad would be twice as hard as it is now, I completed the quest so I could care less.

The reason is: The nomads powerful attack hits Yourhp - 1 so for instance, if you were 200 hp, he would hit a 199 and you would have to heal more leaving him nearly impossible.

Thanks for reading :o

Good point, but doesn't he only do that attack once? I would say raise it above 99 for PvP, and reduce PvP damage, thereby making fights last longer than 2 D Clawz specs.

While the amount of health you get is slowly becoming obsolete, Jagex can't just go and raise the amount of hitpoints everybody can have without making combat levels wonky. My solution to this is to give temporary health boosters instead. For instance, maybe if a character wore a special piece of armor, it would temporarily raise the hitpoint cap for the character by 5. Maybe a health potion that raises the hitpoint cap temporarily by 10.

---

No signature for now.

>_>

---

While the amount of health you get is slowly becoming obsolete, Jagex can't just go and raise the amount of hitpoints everybody can have without making combat levels wonky. My solution to this is to give temporary health boosters instead. For instance, maybe if a character wore a special piece of armor, it would temporarily raise the hitpoint cap for the character by 5. Maybe a health potion that raises the hitpoint cap temporarily by 10.

Sara Brews and Rocktail raise HP above max. But like it's been said before, that bonus is swiftly diminished. Fights shouldn't last 10 seconds.

• 3 weeks later...

Damage reduction is the best bet at this point. With 100 def you should reduce damage taken by ~20%, that's with the def cape boost. At ~118 def with a super defense pot, damage reduction would probably range around 23%. Of course if you factor in piety or something, this number looks more like 25-27%, probably no more than 30%. This can stack with spirit shield effects.

As for HP boosting items, like many other RPG's out there, the ability to craft special effects into items via rare artifacts seems like an attractive option.

I agree with more damage reduciton, not just flat-out HP cap increase. However, I'm not sure if it should come from levels. I think there should be more damage reducing items, but to prevent divine/elysian spirit shields, I think there should be a twist. Possibly magic armor that reduces melee damage, melee armor that reduces range damage, and range armor that reduces magic damage? This way, the combat triangle would be more defined, and the divine spirit shield 30% damage won't be outshone so easily, as it would affect all damage.

But new damage reducing armor shouldn't be "elite level" like the spirit shields. Maybe 20% combat type specific damage reduciton armor set would be rather easily available, because not only super-high level PvP should be balanced.

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

I believe that pvp damage and pvm should be separated into 2 classes. It is absolutely possible to set pvp damage to 1/2 of pvm damage or even less. This would therefore fix the hp problem completely. Yes there would be grumbling from wealthy pvpers but if it keeps people interested in multiple aspects in the game, and would bring back the challenge of pvp then more content could be released in all branches of the combat triangle. If you think it is ludicrously time consuming to do, or too complicated, look back to games like diablo...and pretty much and MMO currently up and running, because nearly all of them have this.

As I see it, there are five ways to fix the problem:

1.Nerf weapons.

2. Raise HP limit

3. Change way defense works

4. Add items, spells, and prayers that reduce damage.

5. Separate PVP from PVM damage.

1. and 3. would both need a complete combat rework (I don't want my max hit to become 10! I like 25s!), as many monsters (Corp, Jad, GWD) would be a pain, and their HP would need to be dropped, and trying to redesign the defense skill would be far worse, and 2. would need lots of combat rework, but not as much as having to readjust monster HP lots or redesigning defense. 5 might lead to yelling and ranting, but shouldn't be as problematic.

4. Is the simplest, and thus is the most reasonable.

So, in order of hardest to easiest to do:

3., then 1, then 2, then 5, then the easiest is 4.

If you jump into a river in Paris, you're insane. If you jump into a river in Egypt, you're in denial.