Thermal Paste

ElkNight

God forsaken thermal paste. I put a grain of rice size amount in the middle of the cpu and when cpu is using on full blast it runs at about 77C and like 40C idle.

:? Shouldnt it run a lot cooler. Intel Core 2 duo Cpu btw and Artic silver 5 thermal paste.

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

I hate to seem so arrogant but this site needs a Celsius-Fahrenheit converter. Lol

Currency converter would be nice, too.

Yes I'm so lazy that I can't go to Google and convert it.

~~Chaise91~~

That does seem a little high. What are you doing to make your CPU peak like that? Whenever I do something intense, I don't think mine ever goes above 45C (then again, I'm using a 65W AMD processor). Also, did you make sure to clear your heatsinks and fans from dust? Are your fans blocked?

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

@Chaise - all comp temps are in C, so it doesn't really matter (77C = 170.6F, 40C = 104F).

OT - I'm not really sure what we're supposed to suggest. If this is the same computer from the thread you made a while ago, then it's ventilated properly, and it's not as if it's the middle of summer. For removing thermal paste, a coffee filter with a bit of isopropyl alcohol works, but I'm not sure whether it's recommended to try on a cpu that you plan on reusing... (ask someone else on this)

If you could give some more details, that'd be nice.

1ekn0o.jpg

Thanks to Uno for the awsome sig <3

Uh, a lot of the thermal paste "guides" are out of date these days. You're not supposed to use a grain of rice size blob in the middle of a Core2 Duo because of the way the cores are located, it will pretty much mess up the heat transfer like yours seems to have done. You said you were using Arctic Silver 5... apparently you didn't read the guide for your CPU on how to apply it:

http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appinst ... l_wcap.pdf

or Core2 Quads:

http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appinst ... d_wcap.pdf

Also, cleaning the paste off should be easy, using a little alcohol (hell, you can even use a little vodka if you don't have any cheap rubbing alcohol), just ensure it's completely dry before putting it back in, it shouldn't cause any problems.

Not on my computer on my brothers. I should probably try the line thing again, which is what I did the first time (didnt work well).

:wall:

I think I just fail at putting the right amount of paste on. Not to mention the cpu fan is freaking [developmentally delayed]ed, it has the stupidest attachments.

#-o

10postchm2105.png

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Welcome to the world of Intel, stupid push-pins.

When removing the old paste, use microfibre cloth (like the ones you use to clean your glasses), "ear tops" or a coffee-filter + chemically clean aceton/petrol, denatured alcohol etc etc... There's also a special branded liquid from Arctic Silver with two bottles to deal with removing paste. The important thing is not to use a liquid with oil in it.

Follow link to the guide at AS which Peter provided.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

I just use a pea sized blob and then use a bit of card to smear it over the chip.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

Well I tried the line way the artic silver site says (again) and it has the same doing nothing temperature (40C) as my computer. But as soon as a I start stress testing, in under 2 seconds, the temp rises like 20C and keeps going up. :?

10postchm2105.png

#1 Wongtong stalker.

What are you using to get the temperatures?

Whats your motherboard and graphic cards temperature?

Make 100% sure the heatsinks fan is plugged in ( :oops: I've forgot to do this once) and its firmly attached.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

Which C2D and cooler?

Are you sure you have fasten it properly? Recheck the cooler and see if you just touch it a little bit - is it ridgid or does it move?

Download core-temp and check your temps, don't know what program you're using.

I'm too lazy to search around, but check around the net about your cooler/cpu and see what temps people are getting.

With my E4500+stock speed+stock cooler i've been up to 72C in the summer. Changed the cooler and overclocked to 2.5ghz (tiny oc but i don't need more), i stress tested it a few times and never got above 47C (yes tj is set right).

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

I'm using coretemp and speedfan, both show the same temperatues. I'm pretty sure the heatsink fan is fastened properly, but not 100%, I hate stupid [bleep]ing push pins.

10postchm2105.png

#1 Wongtong stalker.

You said you were hitting 70 degrees or so (starts at 40, goes up by 20 and keeps rising), which, although above average isn't all that worrying. I would recommend checking everything though (heatsink firmly attached and making contact etc.) as I'm using an Arctic Freezer 7 Pro along with an overclocked Q6600 and AS5, in a fairly warm room and I don't hit anywhere near 70:

q6600temp.png

However, when running the Intel Burn Test:

q6600tempibt.png

Doesn't particularly worry me though.

God, I finally figured it out. I forget to twist the pins after I put them in. -.-

[bleep] you push pins.

The max temperature for it now has bee around 58-60C.

Thanks guys.

10postchm2105.png

#1 Wongtong stalker.