Post-Rock

Jernlov

As of recent times, post-rock has become a favourite of mine. In layman's, post-rock is a genre of music that relies on delicately textured soundscapes and it utilises a typical crescendo/diminuendo structure, i.e. a "loud/soft" dynamic. Many people turn their noses up at the very mention of such bands as A Silver Mt. Zion and Godspeed You! Black Emperor, labelling the music these bands create as both "boring" and "pretentious". To be honest, they have a point in the eyes of the average listener. Post-rock is a genre that rewards patience - you don't go and listen to either of the aforementioned bands and expect instant satisfaction. It's somewhat of an acquired taste, but I daresay those who enjoy classical music will especially like post-rock, due to their underlying similarities in composition and performance.

Now I've got the pretentious introduction out of the way, I'll tell you a little story about why I enjoy this type of music so much:

Sometimes, life isn't easy. Sometimes, you just want to escape from reality. This has happened to me recently - lots of stuff has happened, and I've been seeking somewhat of a diversion when I'm sitting alone in my bedroom at my computer. I've been listening to post-rock on and off since I saw Sigur Rós play live in a field not far from where I live last year, but recently, the escapism factor of ethereal buildups which crash and fade into nothingness has become far more appealing to me. It just makes life seem better. It's like a huge rush when you feel the music coming all to a head, and then disappearing.

As for bands I particularly enjoy, my favourite is probably Japanese group Mono. I can honestly say that they have written and performed some of the most touching, beautiful music that I've heard in my lifetime, for example:

AKxm2nbcI1U

6RU_PHr0b2Q

89zzHCfZ_zs

Another group I enjoy, again from the Japanese post-rock scene: Envy.

wiao6fQLy4Q

zNUWEG42ceg

Jesu, from the UK.

f49cKGoxgQM

2eZMqx6knz4

Other groups I enjoy include Mogwai, Explosions in the Sky, Red Sparowes, Neurosis, Isis, Cult of Luna and Yndi Halda.

So there is post-rock. Enjoy, do not enjoy, love, hate, berate.

I like Jesu but haven't really and don't care to check out other artists of the genre.

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

Not a very big fan, but I can appreciate it every once in a while. Very often I get the "nothing special" or "Where have I heard this before?" feeling when I hear post-rock. This is probably the biggest reason that I don't care too much for the genre. GYBE! is really good, and I can appreciate Explosions in the Sky, Yndi Halda are good and I kind of like For a Minor Reflection, they opened for Sigur Ros last year, and I was pleasantly surprised, but they also fall into the "Where have I heard this before?" categorie.. I should check out Jesu, and I'll try some mono.

I never got the impression that people hold up their nose for GYBE! and Silver Mt. Zion (or post rock in general), though. All the hip kids listen to them.

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

3rd down reminds me of Halloween the movie.

Post metal, post hardcore, post punk... Surprisingly its not older

My pure's stats:

str:70

attc:35

def:4

range:72

mage:70

hp:70

Yeah it is funny you posted this because I was about to check out Mono, as they were listed as a similar artist for Explosions In The Sky so, I will definitely check out those songs you recommended. There is this relatively new post-rock band called This Will Destroy You. They are pretty good, check them out too.

Sometimes, life isn't easy. Sometimes, you just want to escape from reality. This has happened to me recently - lots of stuff has happened, and I've been seeking somewhat of a diversion when I'm sitting alone in my bedroom at my computer. I've been listening to post-rock on and off since I saw Sigur Rós play live in a field not far from where I live last year, but recently, the escapism factor of ethereal buildups which crash and fade into nothingness has become far more appealing to me. It just makes life seem better. It's like a huge rush when you feel the music coming all to a head, and then disappearing.

[bleep], this is a perfect explanation for why I fell in love with Jesu. I'm glad to see some more recommendations to check out, I really enjoy the genre but didn't know where to start. :thumbup:

I should check out Jesu, and I'll try some mono.

do it! Jesu is probably one of my favorite artists.

I should check out Jesu, and I'll try some mono.
For Jesu, get Silver and Conqueror. The debut is great too, but it seems like that one is more drone than post-rock. For Mono, get One Step More and You Die and Walking Cloud and Deep Red Sky, Flag Fluttered and the Sun Shined.

I never got the impression that people hold up their nose for GYBE! and Silver Mt. Zion (or post rock in general), though. All the hip kids listen to them.
Yeah, the trendy kids like them, which is part of the reason that most people on the internet (at least) call them bad bands. I'm pretty indifferent to both. Neither are bands that I listen to regularly because I don't feel like listening to half an hour of going nowhere for a one-minute buildup.