A few questions about all three consoles

indy500fan

I don't really use my Wii anymore, so I want to sell it and get either a PS3 or 360. However I don't know which one yet, and I have a few questions to help decide.

How much can I sell my Wii for, and where would be the best place to do this? Can I trade it in at Gamestop or Gamerush and get a decent amount, or will they screw me over?

What's the difference between the 80gb and 160gb PS3?

If I buy a new 360 now, do I have to worry about the RRoD anymore?

Would buying a used one be ok for either console? I prefer to buy new, but used would be cheaper. Don't want to buy used though if I have to worry about drives breaking, console overheating or other random problems.

What are the media streaming capabilities of the PS3 and 360? Can either handle streaming 720p .mkv files from a PC on a home network?

Do I have to pay to get 360 online capabilities? The main reason to get a 360 for me is being able to play with a friend that is away at college. I know there is a silver membership and gold membership, but not sure what exactly they entail.

Are there any planned price drops coming up soon that I should wait for before buying either one? I heard a rumor about a new PS3 at E3 so I will probably wait until then anyhow.

What are the backwards compatibility of each console? This isn't a huge issue for me, I never had a PS2 and already have an original PS, and the main games I might like for X-Box I got on PC.

Thanks! Try to reply objectively, you won't get anything for "selling" me your favourite console.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

The differance between 80gb and 160gb is that the 160gb can hold alot more memory than 80gb.

Well yes, but if you play resbonsilbly you wont get it, but if you play like 24 hours straight you will...

ABO[bleep]LY DO NOT BUY USED CONSOLES!

As an E3 junkie, I do not know of anyprice drops on any consoles on E3. Last year rumors had it that both 360 and PS3 would drop, but didnt.

Those are the questions I can answer, hopefully I could help. But if you have a ton of money to spend, but I doubt it, buy both consoles.

"Let your anger be as a monkey in a piñata... hiding amongst the candy... hoping the kids don't break through with the stick." - Master Tang

What's the difference between the 80gb and 160gb PS3

I don't think its possible to get a 160GB PS3 outside of Japan. 80GB is the current version, so is probably the best to buy. It's relatively easy to install your own hard drive.

If I buy a new 360 now, do I have to worry about the RRoD anymore?

As long as you buy a new one then no.

Would buying a used one be ok for either console? I prefer to buy new, but used would be cheaper. Don't want to buy used though if I have to worry about drives breaking, console overheating or other random problems.

PS3 probably wouldn't be a problem though you'd probably be only able to find a 40Gb one significantly cheaper than buying new. 360 probably not a good idea to buy a used one, as it might be one of the older ones that do have siginificant hardware problems.

What are the media streaming capabilities of the PS3 and 360? Can either handle streaming 720p .mkv files from a PC on a home network?

I'm unsure. PS3 is more likely to be able to do it though.

Do I have to pay to get 360 online capabilities? The main reason to get a 360 for me is being able to play with a friend that is away at college. I know there is a silver membership and gold membership, but not sure what exactly they entail.

Yes you do. Silver membership is included in the box as well as one month's trial gold mebership. Silver membership only allows you to chat and a few other things, gold is neccessary to play online.

Are there any planned price drops coming up soon that I should wait for before buying either one? I heard a rumor about a new PS3 at E3 so I will probably wait until then anyhow.

A PS3 price drop is likely so yes it would be sensible to wait, especially as there are rumours of a PS3 slim. 360 price drop is unlikely.

What are the backwards compatibility of each console? This isn't a huge issue for me, I never had a PS2 and already have an original PS, and the main games I might like for X-Box I got on PC.

80Gb PS3s have backwards compatability for PS1 games only. Xbox 360s ahve backwards compatability for most Xbox games.

Yep. Get a new 360, and treat it right and you should have no trouble with the RRoD.

360 is pretty cheap atm, though I haven't heard of price drops for it. It has far superior online to the PS3, but the online is pretty much the same. I guess what I mean is that the online is the same, but 360 has better games for it. More and better exclusives I mean. Halo 3 is fun as hell if you play a custom map and gametype with friends.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

Yep. Get a new 360, and treat it right and you should have no trouble with the RRoD.

360 is pretty cheap atm, though I haven't heard of price drops for it. It has far superior online to the PS3, but the online is pretty much the same. I guess what I mean is that the online is the same, but 360 has better games for it. More and better exclusives I mean. Halo 3 is fun as hell if you play a custom map and gametype with friends.

Yeah that didn't sound objective at all. There is no reason to try and sell me a console. You don't win anything by it. Microsoft won't pay you anything.

Thanks for your help guys! Since the only difference between 80gb and 160gb PS3 is hard disk drive space there's no reason to spend $100 extra for just 80 more gigs.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

I cannot help much on backwards compatability. Since I own a 40GB model that I put a 320GB harddrive in.

Silver X-Box live memberships allow you to do basic things, and its free. However, you CAN NOT play online with Silver. Gold, you can play online, but you have to pay.

I'm going to say avoid buying used consoles, just because you do not know what problems you will encounter.

I'd say get the cheapest model you can. I was told thhat you can turn the PS3 into a media centre, so the bigger the harddrive, the better.

From a biased viewpoint, I'd say PS3, because thats my preference.

However, if you want something that you can use as a media centre, then its the PS3 too, and if I remember correctly, you're supposed to be able to put Linux on it, or something.

Regarding backwards compatability though. The 80GB model could play either PS1 or PS2 games, maybe both, I don't know. Its on the box. 60GB Models can play both. 40GB models can play MOST PS1 games, and are unable to play PS2 games.

Price drops, well we can never be sure when they are going to happen.

If you want to risk buying a used PS3, invest in a fan, and get either the 60GB model if you must have backwards compatability, or the 40GB model, and replace the harddrive with a larger one (I went for a 320GB at £55, so in total, my console has cost me £300 for the system, and £55 for the harddrive, this was a new console).

What I must warn you, is there is the chance of failure/overheating. My first PS3 lasted a total of 7 weeks. However, my current one has been through all-nighters, has been on for 12 hours a few times, 7+ hours regularly, and its still running fine. Sure, I get some issues with the games freezing, but thats only been FO3, Oblivion and X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

The main factor for me was both the games (I prefer the Playstation games tbh), the capabilities of the machine (PS3 is more of a beast than 360), the fact its a Blu-Ray player (how many HD-DvDs do you see? Honestly?) and finally, storage space. I can get a bigger harddrive for the PS3 at less of a cost than I can for the 360.

An added bonus is the built in wireless. The 360 lacks this, and you either have to have cables running about (an annoyance for me since I have taken my PS3 places and would need to reconnect it every time, plus it would take some effort to have the cables running to the modem (its downstairs, the PS3 is usually upstairs in my room) or you have to buy a wireless adapter.

swordfinalqr7.jpg

Denizen of Darkness| PSN= sworddude198

Yeah that didn't sound objective at all. There is no reason to try and sell me a console. You don't win anything by it. Microsoft won't pay you anything.

Thanks for your help guys! Since the only difference between 80gb and 160gb PS3 is hard disk drive space there's no reason to spend $100 extra for just 80 more gigs.

Dude, I'm not trying to freaking sell you anything, it's just I've never played the PS3 and can't say anything about it. Jeesh.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Dude, I'm not trying to freaking sell you anything, it's just I've never played the PS3 and can't say anything about it. Jeesh.

And yet you still decided to say it has far superior online, and better exclusives. How can you make that assumption without playing both? I just don't want any fanboy stuff in here, and that is what you were doing.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

And yet you still decided to say it has far superior online, and better exclusives. How can you make that assumption without playing both? I just don't want any fanboy stuff in here, and that is what you were doing.

Because it does have superior online because of Halo.

And stop saying I'm a 360 fanboy, if anything I'm a PC fanboy.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Because it does have superior online because of Halo.

And stop saying I'm a 360 fanboy, if anything I'm a PC fanboy.

GTFO Halo Fanboy.

Seriously, what is so great about Halo? It came in at the right time for the market, thats all. If anything, its just another average shooter that didn't add in any new innovations.

EDIT: Oh and yeah, I played the original. Mostly played the trial at school in the mornings until it got banned. But hell, we couldn't do anything else really, now could we?

swordfinalqr7.jpg

Denizen of Darkness| PSN= sworddude198

Seriously, what is so great about Halo? It came in at the right time for the market, thats all. If anything, its just another average shooter that didn't add in any new innovations.

Nothing at first. Then you play a custom game with friends and it's godly.

I really only have 2 good things to say about the PS3.

-Free online

-Better hardware

Tbh, though I personally think the 360 is better, some people do prefer different playstyles. Do you know anyone that has either console? I wouldn't recommend buying EITHER console before playing both, something I should have done before buying my 360.

P.S. Don't let your PC gather dust, k?

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Here's the deal (can't speak for the PS3)

RRoD on the 360 still exists. But extremely minimal now.

360 online will cost you $50/yr

360 can stream WMV-HD. you're gonna have to convert .mkv. you can probably use TVersity to stream to the 360. but it's gonna take some work

Try to stay away from used 360s if you don't know the seller. It might be an RRoD'd 360 or close to.

If you're planning to use wifi, then you'll be paying an extra $90 for the adapter (I recommend wired even for PS3 esp. if you're using it as a media centre)

Only thing I'm certain about the PS3 is that the one available now have zero PS2 back wards compatibility.

If I were you I'd go for the PS3 unless you have tons of friends that play 360 (which is the case for me)

Also, if you want backwards compatibility on your 360, you need some type of online. Maybe just silver, I'm not entirely sure.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

Also, if you want backwards compatibility on your 360, you need some type of online. Maybe just silver, I'm not entirely sure.

Really? I thought you just needed either a new machine, or an emulator for the old one?

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Really? I thought you just needed either a new machine, or an emulator for the old one?

Nope. I put in Star Wars: Republic Commando in a while back without signing into Live, and it wouldn't play until I did. Then it had to download some stuff to make it work.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

angel2w.gif

Thanks for the help everyone, if someone with a PS3 happens to know how well I can stream .mkv files to it that would be awesome.

I mostly play games on my PC since I like customization. I am getting a new console solely for Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2, which will probably be the only game I get for a while. When there are tons of cheap games I might start getting those. FPS are completely irrelevant in my choice of system since I don't like playing them with a controller.

The choice was only hard because the PS3 has Blu-Ray, but the 360 is cheaper and I could play it online with my cousin up at Purdue. Blu-Ray would edge out over cheaper and online play with my cousin only a little, but $50 a year means the cheaper part is gone after 2 years.

If the PS3 can't get video streams from a PC though then my choice will be tough again, I really want to separate my computer from my entertainment system.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

Nope. I put in Star Wars: Republic Commando in a while back without signing into Live, and it wouldn't play until I did. Then it had to download some stuff to make it work.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/backwar ... y.htm#disc

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/backwar ... y.htm#disc

Or, you know...just put in the game and sign into Live without all that disc business.

whalenuke.png

angel2w.gif

You do need to pay for Live on 360. I forgot how much a year is, but I bought the messanger pack thing.

Silver gives you access to the Xbox Live market place. I don't think you can play online with it though, or add friends.

Gold gives you access to everything on Xbox online wise. I would advise you in buying the messanger pack, You get PGR4(car racing game), year gold membership, and a chatpad witch is an attachable keyboard for your controller.

I have the 60GB Xbox and I have 45GB left. Even if you had the choice, there isn't really a point to buying a 160GB harddrive unless you are going to be downloading many movies and games from PSN.

Ponder00.png

twssmas.gif

Just like they won't pay you for advertising Oblivion.

They should. Oblivion was great until Fallout 3.

The XBL price for Gold membership is $50 a year, which comes with a free 13th month.

While I still think XBL is better, it's not cheap and it doesn't get any cheaper than free like the PS3. Like I asked earlier, do you know anyone with either console?

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

True, but I didn't even like Oblivion as much as some other games. I just keep it in my sig because I have had it there so long (probably a year before it came out).

I never claimed to not be a fanboy, just didn't want this topic to devolve into that.

EDIT: I am a PC fanboy.

While I still think XBL is better, it's not cheap and it doesn't get any cheaper than free like the PS3. Like I asked earlier, do you know anyone with either console?

I know one person with a 360 and Wii, and one person with just a Wii. All the other people I hang out with are older and don't really play video games at all. Although one does like to get out the N64 every now and then for nostalgia (some GoldenEye at 3:00 in the morning after drinking since 7:00 is awesome).

The one person with the 360 was the only reason for me to not automatically get a PS3. Like I said earlier, getting a console is pretty much just about one game and it being a media center.

Thanks for the link! I should have known to check AfterDawn right away, don't know why I didn't think of it.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg