Over 20 hours of work for something so simple? Maybe not :P

WolfieMario

This is a very simple fake I made as a debut for returning to Sal's Realm after almost a year of inactivity. Since I can't get SWF's in here, you have to click the following link to see it:

clicky2yj3.gifclicky2yj3.gifclicky2yj3.gifClick here to see the fake!!! clicky2yj3.gifclicky2yj3.gifclicky2yj3.gif

Yes, I know the fake is very simple. However, the reason I posted this topic is to get opinions on my epic interactive RS Video Viewing Interface (2.0). That's the windows, buttons, and toolboxes you see around the thing, which make it interactive. I made the whole thing from scratch, by myself. That's including the whopping 1754 lines of code it has :shock:. To watch the video, you have to click play. For details on how it works, click the small helpup.gif button. To see more pages of the help system, click the leftarrowup.gif and rightarrowup.gif buttons. Keep in mind that any window may be closed, to help you keep down on the clutter. You can also move the windows around by dragging them, but you cannot drag a window off the screen. Note that if you resize your browser, it checks to make sure nothing's gone out of bounds. You can use the zoom feature to zoom in and check for flaws in the fake. The thumbnail feature lets you drag a red box around 70460996.png, just like in RuneScape's minimap system, to help when you're zoomed in, or you can also just drag the video around. The volume feature does work, but this particular fake does not have sound or music. Also, on slower computers you might have seen the loading bar, but in most cases, you won't. So this is what the loading bar looks like:

vidviewerload.png

Also, it may not load for some people, for some strange reason :(

So you can click here to (sort of) see what it looks like, but you can't actually watch it or anything :(

Also, there is another little "contest" in this topic: there are two little jokes I've hidden in the zoom feature. One joke is harder to find than the other (it refers to a useful Easter Egg in Microsoft Paint). Finding the harder joke awards you with a custom emote, finding the easier joke (really easy to find if you're looking for a way to crash my program. Which you won't be able to, btw p12876613.gif) awards you with a custom underbanner. Note that you are ineligible for the "contest" if you are from Sal's or if you know me in real life.

skillgoal99fakingunderb.png

Fake Awards:

flatawardsbox.png

(The large number is the amount of awards I have gotten; only 8 are shown above. Click to see all of them.)

I'm going to guess that the joke referring to MSPaint is using CTRL when you click on the zoom button to get like 800% (?) zoom?

No, that's one of the shortcuts. If you go to the help section's last page, it tells you all of the shortcuts. The MS Paint reference is hidden in the drop-down menu.

Fake Awards:

flatawardsbox.png

(The large number is the amount of awards I have gotten; only 8 are shown above. Click to see all of them.)

Real question here, why do you waste your time making runescape"fakes" when you could be using that time to be making some pretty cool web apps. Clearly you have an idea of what you're doing but I just can't get past the fact that you're doing all this for a runescape thing. It just seems all so... pointless.

I wish you didn't have to write an essay for everything you post

/agree

Real question here, why do you waste your time making runescape"fakes" when you could be using that time to be making some pretty cool web apps. Clearly you have an idea of what you're doing but I just can't get past the fact that you're doing all this for a runescape thing. It just seems all so... pointless.

/agree

Well, it's not like I wasn't planning on using my video interface elsewhere. If you've ever worked with Flash, you'd know just how easy it is to swap graphics around. All I have to do is create new graphics, swap them with the old ones, and suddenly the interface isn't related to RuneScape anymore. Actually, I'm planning on doing exactly that for a few videogame sprite movies I'll be making a while from now. Making the graphical parts of the interface only took about an hour or two, it's the coding that's the real nightmare. Once the code's done, you can do practically anything with it p12876603.gif

Besides, this is the first major application I've ever developed in Flash; previously all I've done is gotten a 2-D sprite of Mario to walk around in a blank white space. I learned a lot about actionscripting from doing this, and now I have a better idea about how to accomplish future applications which I might work on.

And, yes, I do write way too much 73311039nu9.gif

Fake Awards:

flatawardsbox.png

1. No matter of rest of my comments - nice work :)

2. Add FPS - becouse moving windows is not so smooth.

3. You did full 'engine' for this windows, or its just messy pack of code?

4. I wish I can see code of this :) With each next code I read, I learn new things about coding xD

mysig2.png

----TheLair Game!----

"Game isn't dead... You wish!"

1. No matter of rest of my comments - nice work :)

2. Add FPS - becouse moving windows is not so smooth.

3. You did full 'engine' for this windows, or its just messy pack of code?

4. I wish I can see code of this :) With each next code I read, I learn new things about coding xD

1. Thanks! p12876626.gif

2. Unfortunately the FPS will also control the rate at which the video itself plays. I try to keep my FPS number as efficient as possible relative to the #/100 second delay in the program I use to animate, because I first made this in Macromedia Fireworks 8, then I moved it into Macromedia Flash Pro 8. This also means that, in future animations, which will be longer, the fps may be larger, thus the windows should move smoothly. An example of an animation which will result in smoother motion (larger fps) would be the following fake I made:

omnitalismanlocate.gif

Unfortunately, I need to re-create the animation in Flash, rather than just importing it, because the file size as a direct import is HUGE :o

3. It's pretty messy at the moment. I was hoping on updating the engine to be more efficient and less repetitive, but I'm going to do that after a few more animated fakes. For now, I just wanted it to work p12876603.gif

4. You seem like someone who I can trust, so I'd have no real issues with letting you see the code p12876603.gif. Should I PM it to you?

Fake Awards:

flatawardsbox.png

3&4. If you send me code I can actualy create engine for those windows, of course if you want it :)

And yeah, PM will be good.

About importing videos:

If you mean that imported video makes animation size HUGE, use AS code to import videos from internet or file :)

mysig2.png

----TheLair Game!----

3&4. If you send me code I can actualy create engine for those windows, of course if you want it :)

And yeah, PM will be good.

About importing videos:

If you mean that imported video makes animation size HUGE, use AS code to import videos from internet or file :)

Well, the animation is as a Fireworks PNG (which can have multiple frames, but the frames can only be viewed in Fireworks), and, when I import it into Flash, it becomes 366 separate PNG images :shock:

If I export the Fireworks file to a GIF, the animation can be seen outside Fireworks, but it has a lower quality. It's the image that's in my above post. If I import that into Flash, it becomes 366 separate GIF images, which leads to an overall filesize that's nearly as large as the PNG version. Either way, the file will end up at over 30 megabytes, which is far too large :(

I also tried using AS to import it, but when you import an animated GIF into Flash, it can only let the first frame of it play :?

I'm just going to re-create the animation directly in Flash, and I'll do that for my future animations as well. Besides, Flash is easier when it comes to animating, and allows exports to GIF format p12876603.gif.

Thanks anyways. I'll send you the code now p12876618.gif

Fake Awards:

flatawardsbox.png

I did write engine of those windows for you. Today or tomorrow I'll send it to you and you will be able to read it :)

P.S. I beated your record xD I did it in 4h :P

mysig2.png

----TheLair Game!----

/agree

Well, it's not like I wasn't planning on using my video interface elsewhere. If you've ever worked with Flash, you'd know just how easy it is to swap graphics around. All I have to do is create new graphics, swap them with the old ones, and suddenly the interface isn't related to RuneScape anymore. Actually, I'm planning on doing exactly that for a few videogame sprite movies I'll be making a while from now. Making the graphical parts of the interface only took about an hour or two, it's the coding that's the real nightmare. Once the code's done, you can do practically anything with it p12876603.gif

Besides, this is the first major application I've ever developed in Flash; previously all I've done is gotten a 2-D sprite of Mario to walk around in a blank white space. I learned a lot about actionscripting from doing this, and now I have a better idea about how to accomplish future applications which I might work on.

And, yes, I do write way too much 73311039nu9.gif

Fair enough.