wilderness ditch

iskateandpk4

k thats not really luring, and the ditch doesnt prevent luring. It was there just to inform low level peopel who didn't know about the wild from loosing items. Now when you eneter bounty worlds you get a manual. So why keep the ditch?

Because there are revenants in the wilderness which would likely reduce a new player into a pile of moldering bones. It's still one of the most dangerous areas in runescape for an inexperienced, or unprepared player.

Ankous are dangerous for new players. Lesser demons are dangerous for new players. It's made very clear. There is a warning message. There are warning signs. There are guides on the runescape website. If all of this fails, if a higher level player sees a new player approaching the wilderness, he might warn them. Even if that player in question dies, he has a minute to get his very low value armor that he can probably earn back in 10 minutes, anyway.

At some point, risk is just a part of the game. It's not unfair, it's not blindsiding a new player.

I don't see the big [bleep]ing deal. I think it's kinda an aesthetic thing. Like a first like of defense against the monsters in the wilderness. In olden times large ditches were often dug around villages as a way to slow down attacking enemies either on foot or horseback, and would provide more time for archers to pick them apart.

There are obstacles to getting to new areas everywhere you go in runescape, why should the wilderness be any differen?

[hide]

Damnit, I tripped over Magzar's half inflated blow-up doll and hurt myself. I wish he wouldn't leave that thing lying around. -.-

[/hide]

k thats not really luring, and the ditch doesnt prevent luring. It was there just to inform low level peopel who didn't know about the wild from loosing items. Now when you eneter bounty worlds you get a manual. So why keep the ditch?

Because there are revenants in the wilderness which would likely reduce a new player into a pile of moldering bones. It's still one of the most dangerous areas in runescape for an inexperienced, or unprepared player.

Ankous are dangerous for new players. Lesser demons are dangerous for new players. It's made very clear. There is a warning message. There are warning signs. There are guides on the runescape website. If all of this fails, if a higher level player sees a new player approaching the wilderness, he might warn them. Even if that player in question dies, he has a minute to get his very low value armor that he can probably earn back in 10 minutes, anyway.

At some point, risk is just a part of the game. It's not unfair, it's not blindsiding a new player.

I don't see the big [bleep] deal. I think it's kinda an aesthetic thing. Like a first like of defense against the monsters in the wilderness. In olden times large ditches were often dug around villages as a way to slow down attacking enemies either on foot or horseback, and would provide more time for archers to pick them apart.

There are obstacles to getting to new areas everywhere you go in runescape, why should the wilderness be any differen?

Most players dont roleplay therefore the whole defence thing is fairly meaningless.

The wildnerness should be different because the ditch was introduced to combat a now redundant problem.

Drow4.png

The only reason I can see for the ditch still being in use, is preventing people from following someone, and them leading you into the wilderness. Or perhaps mis-clicking on your minimap and accidentally running into the wilderness while standing outside it selling venges/items.

But, this could also be achieved in other ways while removing the ditch, such as making you stop moving once you reach the "invisible wilderness barrier".

All in all, it should be removed, as it really provides no use or real protection anymore. But I think the real reason they have not removed it yet is simply, they don't want to waste time removing it when it "might" provide some sort of protection for BH luring/mis-click.

They actually did have that before the ditch... A large message (taking up most of the screen) popped up, warning you about the wildy, and you don't continue walking even if you're following someone.

I think that they should just make the ditch look like it was filled in - that way, no need to click it, but no fear of accidentally entering wildy territory while crafting mind runes (a friend of mine nearly got PK'ed before the ditch, because the warning didn't come up (it used to be a one-time deal, warning you the first time you got near it)).

You would know where the wildy is, but if you want to enter it, just walk past it - no clicking required, it would be just purely a decoration.

So maybe they could turn the ditch into a "Wilderness Line"? :?

skillgoal99fakingunderb.png

Fake Awards:

flatawardsbox.png

(The large number is the amount of awards I have gotten; only 8 are shown above. Click to see all of them.)

At least give it 5 xp to agility if it has to be there :)

And also you learn alot more from failure. So dying once or twice in the wild would really teach new players about the dangers far more than a message and lets face it. Most new players over-estimate their abilities in the beginning of the game anyway, hence the dying alot more in the early stages of playing. So warning or no warning, people will still die and in a magical way blaim Jagex for it.

The only reason I can see for the ditch still being in use, is preventing people from following someone, and them leading you into the wilderness. Or perhaps mis-clicking on your minimap and accidentally running into the wilderness while standing outside it selling venges/items.

But, this could also be achieved in other ways while removing the ditch, such as making you stop moving once you reach the "invisible wilderness barrier".

All in all, it should be removed, as it really provides no use or real protection anymore. But I think the real reason they have not removed it yet is simply, they don't want to waste time removing it when it "might" provide some sort of protection for BH luring/mis-click.

They actually did have that before the ditch... A large message (taking up most of the screen) popped up, warning you about the wildy, and you don't continue walking even if you're following someone.

I think that they should just make the ditch look like it was filled in - that way, no need to click it, but no fear of accidentally entering wildy territory while crafting mind runes (a friend of mine nearly got PK'ed before the ditch, because the warning didn't come up (it used to be a one-time deal, warning you the first time you got near it)).

You would know where the wildy is, but if you want to enter it, just walk past it - no clicking required, it would be just purely a decoration.

So maybe they could turn the ditch into a "Wilderness Line"? :?

I'd like that, it just makes sense.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

DoS

i don't accept ping requests from unknown hosts.

and in pvp worlds people can d spear you into the wildy.. so yeah the ditch isn't going anywhere. (unfortunatly)

[size="5"][font="Georgia"][b]Staking:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#FFFF00"][/color][color="#00FF00"] 4+ mil[/color][/font]
[font="Georgia"][b]Current Status:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#0000FF"] Training defense [/color][/font][/size]

tbh jagex doesnt really care what we think of the ditch

This.

Besides, honestly you have to click to pass obstacles to get almost anywhere in runescape.

-Doors

-stairs

-caves

-gates

-Multiple clicks to charter boats

-Agility shortcuts galore

-The temple to get into morytania

-traps

the list goes on and on, what precisely is so wrong with having to click once to get into the wilderness?

[hide]

Damnit, I tripped over Magzar's half inflated blow-up doll and hurt myself. I wish he wouldn't leave that thing lying around. -.-

[/hide]

This.

Besides, honestly you have to click to pass obstacles to get almost anywhere in runescape.

-Doors

-stairs

-caves

-gates

-traps

the list goes on and on, what precisely is so wrong with having to click once to get into the wilderness?

The point of this topic is that it was added when PvP was still in the wildy. Since they removed the PvP in the wildy logic would dictate you remove the PvP protection.

Which brought rise to the rev discussion.

The question isn't should there really be the click to get over the border. Its why not revert back to the old method or get rid of it completely?

The older method like a few people have stated was a once per login message which took most of the screen saying your about to go into the wild etc.

I'm not sure if you ever used the wildy pre-ditch (by the sounds of it a lot of people either didn't or have forgotten), but it caused a lot of issues, but was to a degree understandable. Now its just a lost piece of history from RS's true PK'ing days which isn't really needed anymore.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

This.

-Doors

-stairs

-caves

-gates

-traps

The point of this topic is that it was added when PvP was still in the wildy. Since they removed the PvP in the wildy logic would dictate you remove the PvP protection.

Which brought rise to the rev discussion.

The question isn't should there really be the click to get over the border. Its why not revert back to the old method or get rid of it completely?

The older method like a few people have stated was a once per login message which took most of the screen saying your about to go into the wild etc.

I'm not sure if you ever used the wildy pre-ditch (by the sounds of it a lot of people either didn't or have forgotten), but it caused a lot of issues, but was to a degree understandable. Now its just a lost piece of history from RS's true PK'ing days which isn't really needed anymore.

What would be the point of wasting time changing not only the coding, but the graphics as well to get rid of it? Is one click really such a big deal that people are demanding its removal?

To be honest it's a much better marker for the boundaries of the wilderness than any previous method. There's no real reason to remove it. So why does it matter if it's not needed anymore? I mean, hell, there are a lot of things in runescape that aren't needed anymore, should we remove all of them as well?

[hide]

[/hide]

I was a piece of code added for PvP to replace a simply bit of code (theres going to be a lot more code in the current one then the old one).

The ditch was added in April, the warning shortened and removable in the July then they removed the whole wildy in December.

1 year later they add PvP worlds

2 years later they add the wildy to edgville and above

So why didn't they remove something which for a year was mildy annoying (seriously annoyed me when I was on my old account) and pointless after the year?

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

Yes, people can still be 'lured' into the wilderness.

People may not do it for the drops now, but I've seen people doing it for the sick thrill of seeing a low level getting killed by a Revenant.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

u can control my tip it account, but youll never control how fine i am!

This is by FAR my favorite song:

I love N_odie and would never edit his posts! I love Rainy_Day too <3 And also Cowman_133. <33 Oh, and Laikrob is a going to hunt me down and kill me like a pest kangaroo if I reveal how awesome she is. I owe tripsis skittles. DarkDude feels like he's missing out. This is my siggy! - n_odie Rainy_Day MINE! - n_odie Rainy_Day And meol shouldn't feel left out. Oh, and Y_Guy is a noob awesome