Orks in GWD with combat familiar (Iron/Abyssal/Lava titan)

Cantristenon

Original guide was just about using Iron titan. Added other familiars later, so until chapter 6 this guide talks only about using Iron titan at orks.

Table of Contest:

1. FAQ

2. Requirements

3. How to do it: Step-by-step instructions

4. Xp rates and cost calculations

5. Notes

6. Other fighting familiars

7. Closing words

1. FAQ

Q: Why should I do this?

A: Fighting orks is reasonable fast combat xp that doesn't require much clicking and it's also very easy to do other stuff while training. For example,I wrote this guide while being there without gaining any less xp than i had gained without writing this. Remember that afking is not allowed ;) God wars dungeon is also pretty fast to access compared to some other training places.

Q: How fast xp this is?

A: 70k + 35k = 105k xp per hour based on attack level 93 and strength level 97. 70k becomes from your own fighting and 35k of your titan's fighting. Titan trains defence, you can train whatever you want.

Q: How much does this cost?

A: About 70k per hour if you have 90+ prayer level. A bit more if it's less and a bit more if you are doing this with lower attack and strength stats than recommended.

2. Requirements:

95+ summoning

90+ attack

90+ strength

90+ prayer

Access to God wars dungeon.

You can do this with lower levels too but it's not as efficient and will cost you more since you will be needing prayer potions. You can also use another familiar but then you have to do a bit your own research for best results. In my opinion iron titan is best possible familiar to use here because it trains defence (steel titan trains range that can be trained quickly with chins, same with geysir titan. Of course they are good option to use too if you prefer range xp).

3. How to do it: Step-by-step instructions

Step 1: Preparation

- Buy/make/get items and gear that you will need (check equipment and inventory below)

- Enchant your helm of neitiznot at Pikkupstix in Taverley

Step 2: Equipping yourself and getting inventory ready

- Equipment:

equipments.png

Back: Fire cape > Trimmed skillcape > Zamorak cloak > Guthix/Saradomin cloak > nothing

Body: Proselyte Hauberk > Initiate Hauberk > monks robe top

Feet: Dragon boots > Rune boots > Climbing boots > White boots

Hands: Barrows gloves > Dragon gloves > Regen bracelet > Adamant gloves > Combat Bracelet

Head: Helm of Neitiznot (e) > Berserker helm (e) > Anyt otherenchantable hat/helm..

Legs: Proselyte cuisse/tasset > Initiate cuisse/tasset > Monk robe bottom

Neck: Amulet of fury > Zamorak stole. Depends on your levels which one you should use.

Ring: Ring of life > Berserker ring > Explorer ring 3. Depends on your levels which one you should use.

Shield: Rune defender > Unholy book. Depends on your levels which one you should use. You can try also DFS but I prefer rune defender over it here.

Weapon: Abyssal whip > Saradomin sword (for str training) > Saradomin Godsword (saves 1 inventory slot since it's your spec weapon too. Also gives nice prayer bonus)

- Inventory:

inventorym.png

6 zamorak brews (4)

6 super str (4) potions

1 summoning potion (4)

5+1 iron titan pouches (summon first one in bank and recharge summoning points at trollheim)

Approximately 1300 iron within scrolls

Hammer

Saradomin godsword/Ancient mace (spec weapon)

Bandos boots/tassets/chest/granite mace (not needed if you have ancient mace)

2 fire runes

2 law runes

4 prayer potions

1 click teleport

When you choose your equipment, keep in mind that you have to kill 40 orks in 10 minutes without running out of prayer points. Thus if you have high prayer level you can choose to use strength/attack boosting items instead of prayer boosting items in back, neck, shield and ring slots. If you prefer a bit faster training for some cost you may want to choose to bring a bit more prayer potions and use str boosting prayers or piety. This will make trips shorter (take less boost pots and pouches) and will also require a bit more attention.

If your att/str levels are lower than recommended, take 5 titans and boost potions instead of 6 and take more prayer potions.

If you are not putting constant attention on game I recommend wearing ring of life.

Zamorak item is not necessary but can be helpful so that you won't be wasting time for killing nearby bloodvelds, vampires and werevolves if you have problems getting kc fast enough (too low att/str levels or not good enough familiar). Use either stole, cloak or unholy book. There is also one gorak that can kill you if you are not careful without zamorak item.

Step 3 : Getting there

- First hop to lootshare world. Doesn't really matter which one.

- Summon your first iron titan, withdraw last item out from bank and teleport to trollheim.

- Wait a few minutes if your summoning level is just 95, if it's higher there is no need to wait.

- Recharge your summoning points.

- Equip your Saradomin godsword (if you have it) and bandos item and run into dungeon

- Go northwest near the entrance of Bandos's Stronghold.

mapc.png

- Activate Protect from Melee prayer, unequip your bandos item, equip your whip+defender (or whatever weapon you are using) and start killing orks and jogres.

- Keep your auto retaliate on

- Make sure you keep your helm charged with scrolls all the time.

- Drink a sip of your boost potions every 15 minutes. Iron titan lasts for 60 minutes so it's easy to use its timer for this purpose.

Step 4: Prayer recharge

- Once you get 40 kc and run out of prayer points, equip your bandos item, run through Bandos's Stronghold and enter room when boss is dead. Minions won't attack you. Most likely there is team inside there and if not usually you don't need to wait for long. Run to altar, recharge prayer and use altar to teleport out. Go back to orks, activate prayer and unequip bandos item. This will take about 30-40 seconds if you don't need to wait. If you like taking little risks you can go in even if boss is alive. You may take some 35s damage from boss's range attacks if you are unlucky but usually you can just go to altar, recharge prayer and then teleport out without engaging combat.

- I suggest you use 10 minute countdown timer after each prayer recharge so that you won't enter room before being able to recharge. Nothing is more annoying than that :)

- Use your sgs/ancient mace special attacks every time you can, remember to flash piety when speccing. They can be extremely helpful if you don't have very high prayer. For some reason using familiar scrolls in headgear makes your special attack bar recharge a lot slower, so be ready for that. I don't know if it's bug or what.

- Notes of prayer potions: If you do this properly you won't need them. You need to use them only if you log out/disconnect when you haven't just recharged prayer points or are distracted and don't want to stop training. Or then if your levels are not high enough and you need to take 1 dose to be able do this. Or if there doesn't happen to be team at bandos and you need to wait for a while. Or simply want to spend a little for faster xp :)

Step 5: Renewing familiar

- When you first time renew your familiar you shouldn't need to drink summoning potion. Iron titan needs 10 remaining summoning points to summon. This is reason why you waited a few minutes in the beginning of the trip. Notice that going through icy area lowers your summoning points by a few points.

- After that simply drink a dose of your summoning pot before summoning new familiar.

4. Xp rates and cost calculations

This is my test for attack xp when using whip and defender based on my levels 93 attack, 97 strength.

a) Player

Beginning:

7,450,000 att xp

After 2 hours:

7,590,000 att xp

140k xp in 2 hours -> 70k xp per hour.

B) Familiar

Beginning

4349+90 scrolls

12,269,563 defence xp

After 1 hour

4131+90 scrolls

12,304,107 defence xp

218 scrolls used and 34,5k xp

c) Cost per hour

218 scrolls -> 276gp times 218 = 60k

1 iron titan pouch = 3k.

1 zamorak brew(4) (1900 gp)

1 super str (4) (4,200 gp)

Total cost per hour = 69,1k

Total xp per hour = 70k + 34,5k = 104,5k

5. Notes

- If you have to log out during training, do it always immediately after recharging prayer. After logout you always have to wait 10 minutes to be able to recharge your prayer points at altar

- Zamorak brew restores 9 prayer points if you have 99 prayer. Don't waste that restoring by having full prayer points when drinking it.

- If you are using familiar that doesn't have combat scrolls and are willing to use money for extra prayer potions you may want to switch your equipment to full melee void.

- Keep your sounds on so you will hear when you run out of prayer points if you are not looking into game window.

- Orks don't drop anything worth picking up. Some zamorak monsters and jogres drop occasional charms that you may want to pick up if you see them.

- When going back after prayer recharge you can simply click your minimap next to big door and it will open automatically for you :) Handy, eh?

- Extra tip: You can kill also bandos spiritual mages by using same tactics. It requires more clicking, though.

7. Other fighting familiars

Instead of remaking the whole guide I will include some other familiars into this section.

- Abyssal titan for training attack (93+ summoning required)

Use same equipment as you would use with iron titan and following inventory

090603174018.png

5 zamorak brews (4)

5 super str (4) potions

2 summoning potion (4)

9+1 abyssal titan pouches (summon first one in bank and recharge summoning points at trollheim)

Hammer

Saradomin godsword/Ancient mace (spec weapon)

Bandos boots/tassets/chest/granite mace (not needed if you have ancient mace)

2 fire runes

2 law runes

1 prayer potion

1 click teleport

Abyssal titan lasts for 32 minutes. If you drink a sip of boost potions between every 16 minutes (2 per titan used) 5 potions will last for whole trip. It's a bit weaker familiar than iron titan, thus you need a bit higher other stats so that this method will work without usage of prayer potions.

When I was testing Abyssal titan I was training purely attack and got following xp rate:

Starting xp: 9,425,000

After 60 minutes:

9,517,000 (+92k)

After 60 minutes

9,611,000 (+94k)

After 60 minutes

9,704,000 (+93k)

Assuming I was getting around same xp of my own fighting as i did with iron titan, using abyssal titan gains approximately 93k-70k = 23k extra attack xp per hour. Current GE price of abyssal titan

is around 4,2k. You will be still using about 1 zamorak brew and 1 super str potion per hour, thus total cost per hour with this will be somewhere near 14-15k.

- Swamp titan for training attack (85+ summoning required)

Xp rate: somewhere between 13-16k extra xp per hour + what you get of your own fighting. Don't use scrolls, they won't do any damage that you would get xp from (only poison effect). If you use it, use similar setup as you would with iron titan, just remember it's harder to get 40 kc in same time with worse familiar.

- Lava titan for training strength (83+ summoning required)

Xp rate: In my test I started from 10,855,400 str xp and after 1 hour I had 10,869,774 str xp. Thus lava titan gives 14-15k extra xp per hour when using this method. Don't use scrolls, even though they do damage you won't get xp from them. Other than that you can use exactly same inventory as you would with iron titan (lava titan lasts for 61 minutes). Since lava titan is quite weak fighter you will most likely have to switch your rune defender for zamorak book or amulet of fury for god stole or helm of neitiznot for mitre to get enough kc before running out of prayer (I have 99 prayer and was using sgs, still had problems when using fury, defender and neitiznot helm). Lava titan pouches cost 3,5k ea, total cost per hour is about 10k.

7. Closing words

This is my first guide for tip.it forums that i have actually published :) Been trying to write some Barbarian assault guide, Mithril dragon guide and how to kill yourself -guide earlier but never got them ready. Thank you for reading it and if there's something you want to point out or compliment or rant feel free to do so. If you have some important additional information I will be glad to add it into my guide. For example, xp rates of other familiars would be great ;)

Perty unique guide but i still think that az's are superior because if you don't have a higher combat familiar you won't get anywhere neer the same exp as you.

... which is exactly the reason why there is 95+ summoning requirement in the beginning of the guide. Other familiars I mentioned are just suggestions for lower levels who may want to try this out ;)

Yeah, Az's are about same xp per hour and profitable instead of spending money but there you also need much more attention to do it in effective way. Pietying means a lot more prayer recharging times and getting profit means also that you need to use effort to pick up drops and click all the time everywhere to see if that drop is worth picking. And they don't stay autoaggressive without effort either. And I don't even mention how crowded they are nowadays.

I added some notes of prayer potions. I have been training now my defence and attack stats in this way and by this far my titan has gained over 750k defence xp for me alone whilst i have been training attack myself. I regret now a bit I didn't start doing that earlier because now I can't train 99 attack while using titan for defence training because I will get 99 defence too soon. But this means also that I will try using some other familiars in future there and check xp and cost rates of them too and post them into this guide.

I like the idea behind this guide, although having trained there at 95 to 98 strength, I would disagree with your inventory choice =/...

Erm, with prayer boosting gear, a whole invent of prayer potions and pure sets would last me 2 hours.. in that time I would go through 2 titans. So, I don't see how 3 prayer potions could last you 6 titans worth? I may have missed an important fact in there, but I still think the inventory needs rethinking + you might want to put in something about non prayer, because although i haven't tried this.. I'm fairly sure that barrows + a bunyip would keep you on top, without the use of prayer potions.

EDIT: Just read the recharge prayer thing, not sure I totally agree with the fact that you never have to use prayer potions, although that's my opinion...

I like the idea behind this guide, although having trained there at 95 to 98 strength, I would disagree with your inventory choice =/...

Erm, with prayer boosting gear, a whole invent of prayer potions and pure sets would last me 2 hours.. in that time I would go through 2 titans. So, I don't see how 3 prayer potions could last you 6 titans worth? I may have missed an important fact in there, but I still think the inventory needs rethinking + you might want to put in something about non prayer, because although i haven't tried this.. I'm fairly sure that barrows + a bunyip would keep you on top, without the use of prayer potions.

EDIT: Just read the recharge prayer thing, not sure I totally agree with the fact that you never have to use prayer potions, although that's my opinion...

If he is fighting the orks i think he is you will just get ripped apart with barrows.

That inventory works perfectly for me (99 prayer). I hope you noticed prayer requirement i have set. If you have lower prayer level you will need more prayer potions of course. I am using them only if I disconnect or if I need to wait for team to go in. Using barrows armour with bunyip might work but then you couldn't use combat familiar. For me it would mean -35k xp per hour and that's something I don't want to happen.

I won't put anything about tanking and healer familiar tactics because doing it with prayer and combat familiar is the main idea of this guide. Trust me, combat familiars are much more comfortable to use if you pray instead of trying to tank since you can have multiple monsters all the time attacking you and thus familiar will be hitting those monsters almost all the time too.

This is basically a different version of Muggi's zombie monkies - Very Fast exp, and AFK. Dunno if I'll use this, but it is a good guide. I'd like to see your others.

Picture2-10.png

So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Thank you for compliments, warrior. I won't complete my previous guides but in future if I get something worth making a guide then I will try to do it for sure :)

Added some info for prayer recharge. Also just got this or these:

090602203638.png

After that I have done some research with Swamp titan and Godsword. Swamp titan scrolls are definitely not worth using because they won't help you to gain any xp. Although poison will help you to get 40kc in 10 minutes, it would be cheaper to use prayer potions than scrolls for that purpose. Swamp titan itself seems to give around 16,5k xp per hour by using this method. SGS seems quite good because you can use str boosting prayers while using it because of its prayer bonus and still prayer lasting for long enough. Test is still uncomplete though :)

If I remember rightly you don't get exp from the scroll attacks (this was about 2 months ago with the smoke devil scrolls so it my have been fixed).

Replace the summoning pot with a super restore and you've got a 2 in one.

Why not use the northern section where theres just 2 hobgoblins or the 3/4 in near where you enter?

That way you could just use void and the 10% prayers, which should be much more exp per hour.

Just an idea anyway.

Nice guide, but I doubt I'll be getting 80+ prayer any day soon.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

I will check that xp thing. I would assume you get xp from iron titan scroll attacks simply judging of my xp rates per hour when using it but will try out other scrolls too (including smoke devil) when i have time for it.

Replacing summoning pots with super restores is not good idea unless you have really low prayer level and need to use prayer pots continuosly. For me it would be just waste or sr to use them if I only need restoring summoning points. And on the other hand, if I use super restore for prayer restoring then I wouldn't have them left for summoning point restoring in the end of the trip.

Hobgoblins have way too low hitpoints for efficient training and there are too few of them so you would have to wait for spawns. Using combat familiar wouldn't aid you much either when killing them. They are also quite eager to attack zamorak monsters instead of you and thus you need to click them all the time to attack = too much effort for me. These things together would definitely nullify the positive effects of void and boost prayer. They may work for lower level player but if you want to train in that way there are a lot better places than those hobgoblins (AZ's, for example) :P

I added new section to guide that will have info of other combat familiars I have tried there. By this far only Abyssal titan and Swamp titan but will add at least lava titan, wolpertinger and smoke devil in future.

I guess you mean Abyssal parasite (lvl 54 summon required)? It has abyssal drain scroll "Magic-based attack that gives you a Prayer point if it hits"

Abyssal titan, instead, seems to be decent fighter :) I hadn't thought about using it earlier but I'm glad I decided to test it after seeing it gives attack xp.

Maybe it's just on players, but it won't hit hp, but the damage it hasn't said it's done, is being taken from your Prayer.

Picture2-10.png

Err, which familiar do you mean now? I can guarantee that abyssal titan doesn't drain your prayer whatever you do.

Enemies prayer, if you are attacking a player. Atleast that's what I've heard.

Picture2-10.png

Hmm, I haven't heard about that. And because that topic is not really tied with my guide I guess I'll leave it for other people to discover ;)

Btw, maybe you are thinking Praying mantis and Mantis Strike? Binds, causes Magic-based damage and drains target player's Prayer. That would fit into your definition too.

If I remember rightly you don't get exp from the scroll attacks (this was about 2 months ago with the smoke devil scrolls so it my have been fixed).

Just tried with lava titan ebon thunder scrolls.. Didn't get xp from using scrolls. Stupid!

Maybe iron titan is different, or hopefully it's, otherwise that fact will partially ruin my guide :P Although then that method will be cheaper but it would also mean I have been wasting those scrolls for nothing but fun.

Edit. Added using lava titan to guide too.

Very nice and original guide, and nearly within my reach (93 summoning banked).

I can confirm an abyssal titan drains the opponents prayer (had one draining mine) but I'm not sure whether it can damage players or not.

I've also heard the rumor about scrolls not giving xp, but I cant confirm this. Should be pretty easy to test though.

• 2 months later...