Wow, Do I have bad grammar...

AniseCookies

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he meant the posts from scapeboard.com. The posts which were deleted in 2004 :cry:

^^what he said

Archive.org hasnt been too reliable for me :(

He said he "looked at his posts one day"... not necessarily recently

sig2ho7.jpg

What the? What's with all the people ripping me about "peoples"? It shouldn't have an apostraphe unless it's a proper noun (eg "Phil's car") or it's a contraction (eg "Don't / do not").

I can't really think of any other places for an apostraphe... Maybe someone can help me? :)

Yeah I tend to write out all my sentences properly only because I am a touch typer and it doesn't take that much more effort. :)

When I was younger and not a good typer I would always write out abbreviated like '2' for 'to' and so on. Then when I went back to school after a long summer break I would be writing like that for the next two weeks. So I really try not to get into bad grammar/typing habits.

Wrong. "People's" is correct; with an apostrophe. Without, it is incorrect.

He said "peoples" is a word, which you denied. He never used the words correct or incorrect.

I was referring to being grammatically correct.

I already confessed that you were grammatically correct; I simply made the claim that, contrary to what you said, 'peoples' is a word.

Damn you.

When I was like 11, I used to use chat with abbreviations. Then after a few years, I stopped doing that and started to type with proper English and grammar. The only things I abbreviate nowadays are common phrases like 'lol' and 'brb'.

Whenever I read a post now, if it's not written in proper English and grammar, I lose interest really fast and don't even wanna read it.

zippil6wp.png

Thanks for the sig, Runesmithie :)

RIP Steve Irwin

What the? What's with all the people ripping me about "peoples"? It shouldn't have an apostraphe unless it's a proper noun (eg "Phil's car") or it's a contraction (eg "Don't / do not").

I can't really think of any other places for an apostraphe... Maybe someone can help me? :)

I could type this out, but why do it when Rick explained it so well in his Writing Guide?

Possessives

An apostrophe is used in a possessive form, like Esther's family or Janet's cigarettes, and this is the use of the apostrophe which cases most of the trouble. The basic rule is simple enough: a possessive form is spelled with 's at the end. Hence:

Lisa's essay

a week's work

England's navy

The rule applies in most cases even with a name ending in s:

Thomas's job

the bus's arrival

There are three types of exceptions. First, a plural noun which already ends in s takes only a following apostrophe:

the girls' excitement

both players' injuries

my parents' wedding

This is reasonable. We don't pronounce these words with two esses, and so we don't write two esses.

Second, a name ending in s takes only an apostrophe if the possessive is not pronounced with an extra s. Hence:

Ulysses' companions

Saint Saens' music

Aristophanes' plays

In short, an apostrophe is used for nearly all possessive forms, whether the noun being made possessive is proper or not.

To AThousandLies: :P :)

Punctuation.gif

"In so far as I am Man I am the chief of creatures. In so far as I am a man I am the chief of sinners." - G.K. Chesterton