Tech Support

kingmickez25

I dont know if this is in the right forum But im looking for some Tech support

Ive never been real great with dealing with virus spyware and all that other Junk I have basic protection But now im looking to get serious

What the best Anti Virus software out there?

Whats the best Anti spy ware or malicious software

Is windows firewall Okay?

Ive always been safe im not trying to get rid of a virus or anything else i just want to protect myself

Kingmickez25.png

If you want good protection, you should buy the software. About 1-200$ depending on what kind. If you don't wanna buy, you can DL free AVG, its good, but doesn't give full protecton. Im using McAfee fight now and its pretty good.

Other brand I recommend: Trentmirco, Norton ( its okay..), Webroot

king_n981.png

king_n981.png

Well, i pay for my av (Panda). I'm looking forward to the 2010 version, as they claim it uses 80% less resources, which would be nice.

Otherwise i'd suggest Kaspersky or NOD32.

For free i'd suggest Comodo firewall+Avira av. But windows firewall is ok too.

As for added scanning results i use spybot:search&destroy and ad-aware. But never use them in active mode, as you have your av active already. Just for added search results when you feel like it.

The bottom line is, don't download everything you see, don't click on every single link... etc. This will get you very far.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

1) though we have a very smart community, it's not the best idea to ask for computer support on a runescape fansite

I disagree, you'd get better tech support here than say, geek squad or a friend.

OT: Nod32 is(imo)the best paid av software, but avira is a good free av. With a firewall and frequent spybot:s&d scans you should be fine with avira.

If you want good protection, you should buy the software. About 1-200$ depending on what kind. If you don't wanna buy, you can DL free AVG, its good, but doesn't give full protecton. Im using McAfee fight now and its pretty good.

Other brand I recommend: Trentmirco, Norton ( its okay..), Webroot

I'm sorry, but you seem to have not followed antivirus progression in the last few years :roll: .

AVG has fallen down the list and is now one of the worst (I say that by experience and other users experience). McAfee, which I had experience with in the last year because college put it on my laptop, doesn't seem to be able to detect anything and takes an excrutiating amount of resources. Norton is better than it used to be, it uses less resources, but it doesn't seem to pick up more viruses than it previously did (poor detection). TrendMicro is Ok and I don't know Webroot.

I suggest, for paid antiviruses, Kaspersky or NOD32 (I use both, kaspersky currently being free on Windows 7 (there is a reason though) and NOD32 on my laptop's Vista).

For free antiviruses, Avira seems to be the best with good detection rates and not too many false positives. I use it on my desktop. I would not suggest Avast, [cabbage] loads of false positives (experience again). I like to try different antiviruses :P.

What the best Anti Virus software out there?

Whats the best Anti spy ware or malicious software?

Is windows firewall Okay?

Here are a few:

Spybot: Search & destroy - http://www.safer-networking.org/index2.html (Spybot uses mirrors for the actual downloading) (free) (mainly for anti-spyware)

Avast! - http://www.avast.com/ (everlasting trial period and can be upgraded) (a combination of anti-spyware and malware)

Nod32 - http://www.eset.com/ (subscription based)

AVG - http://free.avg.com/ (mainly for viruses) (30-day trial) (has gone downhill a lot like someone else said)

trendmicro - http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Kaspersky - http://www.kaspersky.com/

First and foremost, the built in firewall that comes with windows is not very good. A better suggestion for this would be :

Comodo - http://www.comodo.com/ (free) (can be set permanently to training mode with no risk to security)

Zonealarm - http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en-us ... ?lid=en-us (still never ending trial period me thinks)

I hope this helps you.

Quote - Revenge is such a nasty thing that only breeds more vengeful souls, but in some situations revenge does not even need to be sought out, but only bided.

I'm not trying to sound rude, but a firewall and a brain is all you need. No antivirus is going to 100% protect you from viruses, trojans, keyloggers and stealers.

Its better the have it, then not havn't it.

I'd have to disagree. AntiVirus = False sense of security.

I'm not trying to sound rude, but a firewall and a brain is all you need. No antivirus is going to 100% protect you from viruses, trojans, keyloggers and stealers.

This is true in many cases. But anti-virus programs DO work, they do the job they're meant to do, it's no scam or gimmick, it's just that they cannot catch everything, which sort of makes them useless. They catch some threats... which you won't get in the first place if you know what you're doing. It's really up to you to get anti-virus or not. If you want one, get Kaspersky. It's Russian so you know it's good. :)

I think that there is one key thing to remember. Computers are entirely logical machines. They do nothing without reason, and never defy their programming. No operation on a computer can be hidden or secret, because NOTHING... is safe from the decompiler.

• Never trust anyone. You are always alone, and betrayal is inevitable.
  • Nothing is safe from the jaws of the decompiler.

This is true in many cases. But anti-virus programs DO work, they do the job they're meant to do, it's no scam or gimmick, it's just that they cannot catch everything, which sort of makes them useless. They catch some threats... which you won't get in the first place if you know what you're doing. It's really up to you to get anti-virus or not. If you want one, get Kaspersky. It's Russian so you know it's good. :)

I think that there is one key thing to remember. Computers are entirely logical machines. They do nothing without reason, and never defy their programming. No operation on a computer can be hidden or secret, because NOTHING... is safe from the decompiler.

If the person isn't a skiddie, he's going to crypt his program, or could even write his own if it's something as simple as a keylogger/password stealer which would make the program fully undetectable. Then you can bind it with a legit program, or even a fake one. My friend has over 2k people on his botnet, people who like to run files thinking their avg/avast/avira/kaspersky will detect it if it's a malicious program. At least with a decent firewall you can see which ports are open, and it may even ask you whether you want the process to open a port (in case it's a RAT, hostbooter or irc bot) or it's going to ask you for permission before it sends info out via ftp or smtp (stealer/keylogger).

AntiVirus does none of that. It scans the file, doesn't recognize it as anything malicious that's it. Some avs do come with firewalls, but they are very limited and usually auto-allow ports such as 8080.

As for decompilers, the user must be really advanced to use it, and in many cases someone who can decompile a program and actually get something out of it won't fall for anything I've mentioned above. Many programs come with anti-whatever which includes anything ranging from anti-sniffers to anti-virtual environments to anti-debuggers and some even have anti-kaspersky (haha).

Frankly, if I was forced to get an antivirus, I would get kaspersky.