Cannoning Ice Trolls

JoeDaStudd

Ok I'm making this guide since the truthscape one has gone down due the main site being closed so I thought I'd recreate it only with a summoning section as well as a few tweaks a la Joe.

Introduction

[hide=Why Ice Trolls?]Slayer

There the fastest way to complete a troll task without losing money.

Range Exp

There about 67k range exp per hour if your using melee with a none range combat familiar. So with a range familiar and using ranged to finish the trolls it can be considerably more exp per hour.[/hide]

[hide=Requirements]Items

Dwarf_cannon_set.gifCannon (full set of course)

Cannonball_-steel-.gifAbout 1500 cannonballs per hour (give or take 250 depending on the world population)

Prayer_potion(4).gif4+ prayer potions (depending on your prayer level, equipment and how long you plan on staying there)

Some half way decent food (discussed later)

The basic equipment (shown later)

Skills

Minimum

43 Prayer (A must no matter what your stats)

60 Defense (you can go with lower, but you'll be banking and eating a lot)

60 Attack and Strength or 61 Range (you need to kill the females fast or you'll take too much damage)

Recommended

60 Prayer (better equipment and less prayer potions)

70 Defense

70 Attack and Strength or 70 Range (tbh range doesn't get any better equipment only better damage)

50 Agility (faster run restore)

57 summoning (the combat familiars get good at this level and do help speed up the kills, saving cannonballs)

Quests

The Fremennik Isles

Dwarf Cannon

Fairy Tale Part 2 and Smoking Kills are both recommended as they speed up travel[/hide]

[hide=Getting there]Note the image has been modified to remove the extra islands not relivant to this guide.

map_icetrolls.png

Purple - Barbarian assault teleport using the games necklace

Red - Camelot teleport

Blue - Slayer ring to relleka slayer caves

Yellow - House teleport with a house located at relleka

Light Purple - lyre teleport using enchanted lyre

Green - Fairy ring to slayer caves

Pink - Fairy ring from miscellana

Cyan - From the boat to the cannoning spot[/hide]

Setups

[hide=Basic]This is the basic setup which won't be changed for the rest of this guide. The emphasize is on prayer bonus and low weight as you'll be praying all the time and running quite a lot.

basic.png

Head: mitre>proselyte>initiate>neitz>veracs

Necklace: stole>unholy symbol>holy symbol>fury>glory

Top/Bottoms: monkrobes>proselyte>shade>vestment/druid top>priest/zamorak

Shield: Round shield

The round shield reduces the damage from the females by a big amount.

Ring: RoW>Stat boosting ring of any sort (archers, berseker, seers, warrior, explorers 3, etc)>RoL

Ring of Wealth helps a great deal here as all the nice drops are considered rare

Gloves: Barrows>Dragon/Rune or Dragon hide vamps(if ranging)>Regen>Addy>Combat>Lesser RfD gloves.[/hide]

[hide=Melee]melee.png

Cape: Trimmed achievement cape>god cloak>fire cape

Weapon: Whip>Dragon Scimitar>any other single handed weapon

Must be single handed

Boots: Dragon>Rune/Climbing (climbing are lighter)>Bandos/White>Addy/Fremmy (3)[/hide]

[hide=Range]Basic

range.png

Cape: Ava's accumulator>Ava's attractor

Weapon: Metal Cross bow (highest you can wield) > Single handed fast throwing weapons >Single handed slow throwing weapons.

Boots: Ranger> Snakeskin > Frog > Runner

Ammo: Broad, addy, mith or Emerald (e)

My preferred setup

range2.png[/hide]

[hide=Inventories]Melee

meleeinv.png

1 zammy brew

1 super strength

1 super restore

4 prayer

Range

rangeinv.png

1 ranging

5 prayer

Food

The idea is you take a few items of junk food which can be eaten to make room for drops and/or restore a small amount of health. For this use single bite low cheap food like salmon and trout.

The other food is high healing food used when you need it.

Low healing food: trout/salmon

High healing food: pineapple pizzas > sharks > monkfish > swordfish > lobsters

Pineapple pizzas are the best as they are cheap and heal a lot

Potions

Personally I use zammy brews with super restores and super strengths as it offers a greater attack boost as well as a nice prayer point restore. You can replace them with normal super potions (attack and strength) and replace the super restore with a normal prayer potion.

For you rangers you only get the one potion so not much change there.

Other items of interest

Special weapons (listed below), summoning scrolls and emergency teleport items are all useful items to take. Simply replace the low food with the item of your choice.[/hide]

[hide=Special Weapons]Helpers

Saradomin_godsword.gifSaradomin Godsword*

Heals and recovers prayer points

Enhanced_excalibur.gifEnchanted Excalibur

Heal 20hp over a few seconds and boosts your defense

Ancient_mace.gifAncient Mace

Recovers prayer points equal to damage dealt.

Excalibur.gifExcalibur

Boosts defense

Dragon_battleaxe.gifDragon Battle Axe

Boosts strength slightly more then a super strength potion, but reduces attack and defense. Best used with a super or normal restore and super attack.

Damagers

Dragon_dagger.gifDragon Dagger (poison optional)

8 fast hits per special bar

Dragon_claws.gifDragon Claws*

A super dragon dagger style attack, much more powerful. But used 50% of the bar.

Zaniks_crossbow.gifZaniks Crossbow

The only worthwhile range special attack. Only take it if you using addy or mith bolts.

*denotes they need 1 space free in your inventory to wield.[/hide]

Familiars

[hide=Combat Familiars]Taken from Kent's amazing summoning guide

1. Steel titan

Xp: Range

Time: 64 Minutes

2. Iron titan

Xp: Defence

Time: 60

3. Wolpertingers

Xp: Magic

Time: 62

4. Geyser

Time: 69

Side Note: Rune Minotaurs. They last 150 minutes, and slightly worse than Swamp titans. They are the best defence xp familiar, besides Iron titans.

5. Swamp titan

Xp: Attack

Time: 56

6. Spirit dagannoth

Xp: Controlled

Time: 57

7. Moss, Fire, Ice titans

Xp: Strength Moss, Magic Fire, Attack Ice

Time: 58 Moss, 62 Fire, 64 Ice

Their special heals 8 hp and 13 Defence. (Maxed)

8. Talon beast

Xp: Strength

Time: 49

Side note: Granite lobsters are most likely better. I need to confirm.

9. Obsidian golem

Xp: Strength

Time: 55

10. Karamthuhlu overlord

Time: 44

11. Spirit kyatt

Xp: Attack

Time: 49[/hide]

[hide=Healers]1. Elemental Titians

They heal (with defense boost too) and fight. Not the best healer, but the dual (triple if you count the defense boost) use put them at the top.

2. Unicorn

Heals the most of all familiars, up to 14 hp per scroll

3. Bunyip

8hp per minute (2 per 15 seconds)

4. Fruit bat

Scrolls generate papaya and other fruits healing atleast 8hp per scroll (messy to use though). They also forage seeds or fruit which should pay for the scrolls you use.

5. Void Spinner

A mini bunyip, heals 4hp per minutes (1 per 15 seconds)

Cost wise your bunyip will be the cheapest over all with the fruit bat coming close 2nd.[/hide]

The bank is so close there is very little reason to use BoB's.[hide=BoB]1. Terrorbird

12 spaces and run energy restore scrolls

2. Bullant

9 spaces and run energy restore scrolls

Don't bother with pack yak, war tortoise, kaphite or thorny snail there not worth the hassle as the bank is so close its silly.[/hide]

The cannoning

[hide=Setup and the basics]Once your at the bank equip your chosen setup. And take 1 cheap item of food and your cannon set (on cannonballs).

icetrolls_actionmap.png

Run north out of the gates, pray melee and set the cannon up on the red dot shown on the above map. Don't load the cannon yet, instead bank.

Now pot up, double check your equipment and inventory, summon your chosen familiar, eat if needed and turn off auto reliant.

Keep the cannon feed whilst attacking the females (they attack by throwing rocks at you and look different) and try to spend most of your time in the blue area, as this is the area both females spawn in.

The green areas need checking for drops quite frequently and the yellow areas need checking once every so often.[/hide]

[hide=Tips, tricks and the unknown]Tips and tricks

• Feed the cannon before checking the north est and north west corners to ensure your constantly getting exp.

Try to alch only when both females are dead. This ensures you take no damage while alching drops.

Always try to keep 4 spaces free in your inventory as you'll need to pick up your cannon every 400 cannonballs.

Avoid attacking males near the guards as you will often click talk to instead of attack.

Check for drops under and around the base of the cannon.

When banking let the cannon run out of balls first. Every drop has the chance of being a 40k+ item.

Unknown

• Your low on food

Flick rapid restore prayer on and bank when you feel unsafe (better safe then sorry).

Your low on prayer

Depending on your food left you can stay for a little while as long as you keep moving, but its much safe to simply bank.

Someone else comes and tries to setup

Kindly ask them to leave. The spot you'll be using is the best location on the isles so they either have to switch locations (and be a fair distance from the bank) or hop.

You die

This is extremely rare and will only happen if you afk for a while.

Get back to the isles and simply run to your grave, you should have more then enough time even at the lowest level grave which is 2 minutes I believe.

[/hide]

[hide=Drops worth picking up]Taken from Tip.it Bestiary

Females

* Gold: 8-380

* 100%: Big bones

* Weapon: Adamant hatchet, Steel warhammer, Black warhammer, Mithril warhammer, Rune warhammer,

* Armour: Granite shield, Adamant full helm, Adamant med helm, Steel platebody, Rune kiteshield, Mithril sq shield

* Runes/Arrows: Earth(1-60), Nature(4-8), Law(4-8)

* Misc: Uncut gems, Half key, Herbs, Raw shark(2-8 noted), Raw mackerel(3 noted), Seaweed(1-9 noted), Ball of wool(1-50 noted), Coal(3 noted), Shield left half(dragon), Long bone, Curved bone

* Seeds: Herb(1), Wildblood(1), Limpwurt(1), Whiteberry(1)

Males

* Weapon: Adamant hatchet, Steel warhammer, Black warhammer, Mithril warhammer, Adamant warhammer, Rune warhammer

* Armour: Steel platebody, Granite shield, Adamant med helm, Adamant full helm, Rune kiteshield, Steel medium helmet

* Runes/Arrows: Earth(1-60), Law(4-8), Nature(4-8)

* Misc: Herbs, Uncut gems, Half key, Seaweed(5-8 noted), Raw mackerel(1-5 noted), Raw shark(1-8 noted), Ball of wool(1-50 noted), Shield left half(dragon), Long bone, Curved bone

* Seeds: Herb(1), Whiteberry(1), Watermelon(1), Limpwurt(1), Cactus(1), Mushroom spore(1), Wildblood(1), Poison Ivy(1), Jangerberry(1), Strawberry(1), Belladonna(1)

Runts (lvl 74)

* Gold: 1-320

* Weapon: Adamant hatchet, Steel warhammer, Black warhammer, Mithril warhammer, Adamant Warhammer, Rune warhammer, Rune Javelin(5)

* Armour: Granite shield, Adamant full helm, Adamant med helm, Steel med helm, Steel platebody, Rune kiteshield, Mithril sq shield, Mithril platebody

* Runes/Arrows: Earth(1-60), Nature(4-10), Law(2-8)

* Misc: Uncut gems, Half key, Herbs, Nature talisman, Chaos talisman, Raw shark(1-8 noted), Raw mackerel(3 noted), Ball of wool(1-54 noted), Seaweed(1-9 noted), Coal(3 noted), Shield left half(dragon), Long bone, Curved bone

* Seeds: Poison Ivy(1), Jangeryberry(1), Cactus(1), Mushroom spore(1), Watermelon(1), Strawberry(1), Belladonna(1), Wildblood(1), Herb(1), Limpwurt(1), Whiteberry(1)

Runts (lvl 100)

* Weapon: Steel warhammer, Black warhammer, Rune warhammer

* Armour: Steel platebody, Adamant full helm, Rune kiteshield, Granite shield

* Runes/Arrows: Earth(60), Law(7), Nature(7)

* Seeds: Whiteberry(1), Wildblood(1), Strawberry(1), Herb(1), Limpwurt(1), Mushroom spore(1), Cactus(1)

* Misc: Seaweed(5-8 noted), Ball of wool(20-50 noted), Raw shark(2-6 noted), Herbs, Uncut gems, Half key, Shield left half(dragon), Long bone, Curved bone

Red - Alch

Green - Keep

White - Don't bother with[/hide]

Rewards

[hide=Inventory images]Need to find some, as well as do some more trips.[/hide]

[hide=Exp]I normally I at least 50k range exp in a 45 minute trip when melee'ing with a t bird (this was pre-agility update)

(50k/45)*60=67k range per hour

When ranging its possible to get over 80k exp per hour without a combat familiar.

I'm not going to put random figures in here so if any one has any rates I'd been happy to add them.

I will add my own rates in as soon as I meet my 79 summoning and 85 melee stats goals.[/hide]

[hide=FAQ's]Q. Why don't you have the cannon in the inventory setups?

A. Well if you read the guide you set the cannon up then bank. This saves inventory space.

Q. Why aren't there any titian/unicorn/fruitbat inventory setups?

A. I'm currently working on getting 79 summoning so I can't currently post titian or unicorn inventories (any one who would like to would be a great help) and fruit bat inventory is on my to do list.

Q. Why only 1 cannon ball in the inventory images?

A. The number of cannonballs you'll use depends on the world population, who often you feed the cannon, the damage you and/or your familiar is doing as well as other variables. Its about 1.5k to 2k per hour.

Q. Aren't Wallasalki better exp and better charms?

A. Possibly. I've heard rumors there about 30 blue charms per hour and about 100k exp per hour, but there also a loss of about 80k (some of the items are unsellable) per hour.

Q. I got a long or curved bone what do I do with it?

A. Take it to Barlak in Dorgesh-Kaan for a nice amount of construction exp.

Q. I lost my cannon.

A. Talk to Nulodion the dwarf at the dwarf camp at the southern base of ice mountain.

Q. Could I hide behind the guards or over the bridge instead of using prayer?

A. You could, but you would still need to collect drops and reload the cannon. Which would involve getting attacked by a lot of angry trolls in the process. Even with high defense and good defense armour its much more effective to use prayer as its a lot easier to do.[/hide]

Thanks

Tip.it, I pinched a lot of the images and information from them.

Truthscape, the original guide which go me into the habit of cannoning ice trolls.

Tip.it forums, the incentive to (re)write this guide

Inuashakent, his amazing summoning guide got me into summoning and a lot of the information in regards to summoning is from his guide.

Comment, suggest, rate, flame, criticize and enjoy the guide,

Joe.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

Reserved since the main guide was a few pages long.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe a picture of the EXACT spot to setup the cannon which gives the best xp rate?

Hey Nicrune007 , Whats Your Username?

twss.jpg

99 Ranged on 2/6/07 99 Hit Points on 9/5/08 99 Defense on 26/4/08 99 Attack on 14/2/09 99 Strength on 25/2/09 99 Slayer on 13/9/09\:D/

Ok... Might want to mention 2 things.

1. Is it profitable? Using a cannon is expensive, do you lose money using it? If so, HOW MUCH money do we lose. If we don't lose money, HOW MUCH do we make, or do we break even?

2. Why use prayer? If you really wanted, you could safespot the trolls by using the guards, and thus reducing the costs. For melee, you can simply use a dragon halberd.

Otherwise, decent guide, its unique, so I hope you finish it soon. One mistake however. Your range level does affect your cannon. It makes it more accurate, so suggest 70+ range for better accuracy.

Ss4goku264.png

ss4goku264.png

Ok... Might want to mention 2 things.

1. Is it profitable? Using a cannon is expensive, do you lose money using it? If so, HOW MUCH money do we lose. If we don't lose money, HOW MUCH do we make, or do we break even?

2. Why use prayer? If you really wanted, you could safespot the trolls by using the guards, and thus reducing the costs. For melee, you can simply use a dragon halberd.

Otherwise, decent guide, its unique, so I hope you finish it soon. One mistake however. Your range level does affect your cannon. It makes it more accurate, so suggest 70+ range for better accuracy.

1)You should break even or profit a little depending on prices.

2)You need protection from the melee trolls but you still take damage from the range trolls.

And its a perty nice guide to bad truthscapes went down.

I'm back after about 3 weeks of boss hunting.

I ended up selling my cannon to fund some of the hunting, but I'm going to try and buy it back tonight and at least finish the exp section and get the all important cannon location.

sonicwarrior thanks for the heads up I never actually noticed it was affected by range level and range bonus.

I've added your second question to the FAQ as its a very good one.

To answer the first one really requires some data, but from previous experience I found about 70% of the time you'll break even, 20% you'll make a small profit and 10% you'll make a small loss.

I'm off on holiday for 2 weeks starting this Friday so I won't be updating this guide after about 1pm 24/07/09 for about 2 weeks (give or take a few days either side), but keep finding the mistakes and adding comments.

I found a copy of truthscapes guide, but it seems they got nerfed and tweaked (drops got nerfed within a month or so of there release and it looks like they added a few more) since the time of there guide being made. As they state its only 45k range exp per hour, but 200kish per hour profit which is pretty far off.

If anyone has any inventory results and/or exp results I'd greatly appreciate them.

Thanks for all the comments guys keep them coming.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

ya the ice trolls seem to ignore any armor you have, only way to protect is with yak hide and round sheild.

note: the roundsheild reduce damage from females but the yak hide only reduce the accuracy from the males/runts which is pretty stupid since theres so much trolls its better to use prayers.

note: did you know that roundsheild works on the thrower trolls on trollheim too :o

off topic: this was qeltars guide lol before he shut down the page

I used to do this a year or so ago after I read Qeltar's original guide. Then I took a break from RS and recently tried this again. Maybe I just had a bad run, but this method seems to be a lot less profitable than it was.

Either way, I absolutely love this spot for troll slayer tasks.